720p, 1080p, 1440p displays whats your feelings?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We keep hearing about the insane 1440p displays rumored on some new devices like the LG G3 and Galaxy S5 Prime. Sure this isn't exactly BRAND NEW because we've seen it for the Oppo Find 7 and a few others but with big names like LG and Samsung getting into the game now what do you think?

720p, 1080p, 1440p, LCD, AMOLED... Whats your take ?!?!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think this sort of resolution should be kept to larger displays like tablets. I think it's great they are getting that good, I am just curious how the battery will perform with the screen.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I think 1440p is overkill for Smartphones and it may not be easy to tell the difference, and at the battery cost they may bring with them I don't seem the benefits outweighing the risks. Phone screens already look fine now I kind of feel like the only reason 1440p phones are being worked on is just so it can be that "Big" marketing thing these manufacturers can advertise.

For tablets it might be worth it since they can get packed with larger batteries as is, and the screen sizes on them are larger.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree on questionable battery life

I think people made the same argument with LTE. Early LTE radios would drain batteries very fast, and that made the experience very poor. Why would you want data speeds that are faster than your home broadband internet if your phone can't get you through the day? Isn't 3G good enough? Now there are a lot of people who won't buy a phone that doesn't have LTE.

I think the same thing will happen with high-resolution displays of 1440p and above. People probably won't like the early smartphones that have them, but they'll come around when the technology matures.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded to the lg g-flex from the m7 and my 720p screen on the flex looks nicer than my 1080p m7 its all in the eye of the beholder!

SENT FROM MY G-FLEX, BECAUSE SIZE MATTERS, BUT SO DOES FLEXability😁

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Phone screens already look fine now I kind of feel like the only reason 1440p phones are being worked on is just so it can be that "Big" marketing thing these manufacturers can advertise.

If companies believe they will profit more by selling 1440p phones, they will make lots of 1440p phones. It doesn't mean that phones with 720 or 1080 resolution will go away. Consumers will vote with their wallet on what they want.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to see an 1440p screen in person before making a decision. The step from 720 to 1080 was already a smaller "incremental" improvement, but one I could pretty easily see and appreciate. I'd say I have average eye sight, and I have to have my phone extremely close to my face to make out pixels on a 5" 1080p screen. Maybe at 5.5" or larger, 1440 might provide a noticeable difference compared to 1080, but my suspicion is that at a 5" or smaller size, almost no one will be able to perceive the resolution difference. Again, I'd like to see one in person. I'm always for advancements in technology, so if this is possible and doesn't adversely affect performance, I'm all for it, even if it's not really a noticeable improvement to most people.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We keep hearing about the insane 1440p displays rumored on some new devices like the LG G3 and Galaxy S5 Prime. Sure this isn't exactly BRAND NEW because we've seen it for the Oppo Find 7 and a few others but with big names like LG and Samsung getting into the game now what do you think?

You will not be able to distinguish the difference on a screen smaller than 5.7 inches and even then you'd be hard pressed to do so. It's mostly marketing.

Last edited:

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree on questionable battery life

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Well I am using a phone with 1080p; 70% brightness most of the time, on for a good 10 hours (literally, using the screen) and have not noted any battery drain compared to another phone will, lets say 720p. I think you need to refrain this question to: 1- what you use your phone for. If Movies/Gaming, go for the best one you can afford. Texting etc? I am sure 1080p will suffice.

Personally I think 1080p is where you should sit- in the middle. The quality is good, and I agree with Zachary...1440p does sound like overkill.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

720p is plenty good, and 1080p is probably as good as it gets realistically...QHD is probably overkill. That being said, overkill is not a bad thing. And all else being equal, I'd prefer the one with QHD.

I used to prefer LCD, but I think Samsung has finally nailed AMOLED. I'd have preferred a Nexus 5 with the S5's display if I'd had a choice. AMOLED has finally matured to the point where it can replace LCD IMO.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For smartphones, 1080p is enough for the vast majority of people. They can't tell the difference between 1080 and 1440.

With that said I wouldn't mind 1,440 so long as it doesn't substantially impact battery life. And I think it can be done, as processors get more efficient.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
In an ideal world, I want to see displays where it is impossible for any human eye to see pixels. 1080p is not that. We'd probably need to be in the 700 or 800 ppi range for that.

So while 1080p is "enough", there is still room for improvement. And so long as there is room for improvement, I am going to want it.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
720p is plenty good, and 1080p is probably as good as it gets realistically...QHD is probably overkill. That being said, overkill is not a bad thing. And all else being equal, I'd prefer the one with QHD.

I used to prefer LCD, but I think Samsung has finally nailed AMOLED. I'd have preferred a Nexus 5 with the S5's display if I'd had a choice. AMOLED has finally matured to the point where it can replace LCD IMO.

I am with you, sort of. What could we really do with 1440p? I mean at present I cannot see the use for such 'clear' screen on a phone as of yet. Games, movies and whatnot sure, but is the design of a phone for this? No, I do not think this is needed. Don't get me wrong, I mean I am all for bigger and better..I just don't think implementing such screens with 1440p is the way to go yet.

As for the LCD yes, that's like me. Amoled is definitely getting to the point where it is becoming a practical alternative. But I hate Samsung.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am with you, sort of. What could we really do with 1440p? I mean at present I cannot see the use for such 'clear' screen on a phone as of yet.
I would like to be able to hold my nose to the screen and still not be able to detect any pixels. That is perfection to me, and that is what I would prefer, all else being equal. So until that happens, PPI needs to be advancing.

But...I agree it is no longer a priority. 1080p is plenty good, especially for normal viewing distances. I have to struggle to see pixels on 1080p displays.

As for the LCD yes, that's like me. Amoled is definitely getting to the point where it is becoming a practical alternative. But I hate Samsung.
I have seen the S5 display, and I can understand the hoopla. It is impressive. Displaymate said it is the best they have ever tested, and thats a big deal, even for an LCD. For them to say that about an AMOLED display means AMOLED has finally arrived. This is the first generation where I am hoping to see a switch.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
As yet another Flex user, I think that Truestripe nonsense holds some weight. 720p looks surprisingly good on it, better than similar devices like the Mega. They have a lot of work left to do on Truestripe and on P-OLED tech, but I hope they can scale it to at least 1080p soon...not really for general definition as for better split screen work area specifically.

OLED tech enables what I call 'BS battery life'. Various reviews stated the Flex could do 14, 18, 20 hours of continuous video. Power consumption is phenomenal as an e-reader, if you read with grey-on-black (e paper is best as black on white, backlit screens better light on dark) you can hit over fifteen hours of reading time...I don't have the endurance to find a practical limit, but it's miles beyond my Tab 3 7.0 LTE (IPS backlit) which can do 10+ reading hours.

The low rez at 720p combined with the P-OLED efficiency has given me up to TEN BROWSING HOURS in Opera on my phone, and everyone knows that browser is a power hog...

Now as to 1440p, rumors about the G3 and etc. LG claims its new *backlit* 1440p 5.5in panel uses a better shaped pixel gate that's more efficient in using the backlight. They were claiming power/brightness equivalence with lower rez screens that have much less wiring and gating in the same area. THAT takes us back to 'just' the raw rez. And THAT takes us even further back to an issue I've seen again and again: "games and browsing".

The top hit to performance is games and browsing. For video and pictures, the dedicated hardware should have near zero performance hit. For texting and typing, the hit is literally zero. For PDFs, Powerpoint and such there will be a large compositing hit that cannot be avoided. The interface? Really depends how much polish they put into it.

GAMING. PCs have wrestled with this for years, and depending on the game engine your loss in FPS could be anywhere from 5% to 70% when you double the pixel count from 1080p to 1440p. A lot of the games for mobile are crappy tho, and should run okay at 1440p even with just Adreno 320. Power consumption will increase a little, but often not by a great amount.

BROWSING. This depends a lot on both the app and the page it is displaying...AND on your device's DPI settings. For example, a 10.1in tablet and a 4.5in phone with the same rez are doing totally different workloads in scaling the page because their DPI preferences are different. I've played around with the N7-2013 and my 7.0 LTE, and the N7 always felt like a slower and sloppier browsing experience even in Chrome. And the battery life...eck. Going from there to browsing at 1440p would push pretty much any phone hardware on the market to its limits and possibly beyond, even a fast desktop with hardware accelerated graphics can struggle when upscaling a page to that rez.

So this ran on too long but yeah, AMOLED over IPS very soon now. And 1440p vs 1080p will have zero impact for some things but probably cripple your browsing and PDF reading performance. 720p is sufficient for nearly everything if the pixels have a good shape and the UI is optimized, but 1080p seems like a good standard to push for mobile devices.

TL;DR, GIVE ME MY 8MPIX LAPTOP SCREEN ON A <$800 LAPTOP YESTERDAY

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
1440p is waste of GPU horse power on 5 inch devices nothing else.
However difference might be more notable with those devices which have Pentile sub pixel layout

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781