Moto x vs note 3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android device

Friendly reminder to keep things civil and productive. If you don't care for a post, please move on. Hit the report button if you think someone is violating the rules. Thanks!

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android device

I have owned plenty of devices running TouchWiz and have rooted plenty to get close to stock android. I would choose stock android every day of the week and twice on Sunday. As much as I have liked some of the Samsung phones I do not like TouchWiz.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto x or note 3

If you need a lot of memory (music, photos, videos), go with the Note.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How is this a thread? Here's my opinions.

Samsung is the biggest POS company in the history of phones passing even Apple up. They build a Fisher Price toy with high specs, they put a skin on the OS that looks like someone redesigned the iPhone for 2nd graders. Their phones generally break and fall apart more than any other that I've seen outside of the budget chinese devices and they don't support them for crap.

The Moto X is likely the highest quality Android device out at present, I look forward to their future devices despite a dislike for Android. The Oneplus One is the only comparable device but you never know with these startups.

hp79

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I had AT&T Note 3 for couple months now and tried unlocked developer edition Moto X for about two weeks.

I prefer the Moto X, but had to return it because NFC was not working, and they would only replace it with a like-new-used device. I'm actually waiting for the Moto X2 now.

Now here's the long version of my thought on both devices.

Pros of Moto X:
Active Display is pure awesome. Every time I reach to my phone, I can see the time, and that's what I need it mostly for. To unlock, I don't even have to press the power button.
Moto X's smaller size makes it easier to carry in my pocket. Every time I get on the drivers seat, I have to take out Note3 from my pocket because it's really hard to pull it out while sitting.
Everything feels faster than Note 3. I've never used task switcher this much, and it was very smooth too. Note 3's dialler sometimes takes 2-3 seconds. Sometimes when I try to open Contacts, it tries to connect to AT&T Contacts and takes another 5 seconds. Wow, is Moto X really just a dual core Snapdragon S4 Pro? And Note 3 has Snapdragon 800 quadcore but it's slow [inappropriate language removed by moderators]
Shake to launch camera is also pretty quick and useful.

Cons:
Battery life is not that good. I use up 40% in just 2 hours moderate use (no games).
Camera quality below average. RGBC pixel fail?
There's a hairline crack problem on the back piece of the case especially on the developer edition.

Pros of Note3:
Digitizer is really useful. The large screen is a must for using digitizer pen, and does give better experience for web browsing.
Great battery life, removable battery and microSD card. It feels like with Moto X I get about half of what Note 3 gets.
Much better camera, but slow to launch.
Build quality is pretty good, and don't need a body protector on the back because it's scratch resistant.

Cons:
AT&T version has too much bloat. Seriously too much from both AT&T and Samsung. I had to disable 50 apps, and then there's still more that can't even be disabled.
Locked bootloader makes it unrootable, you are stuck with AT&T crap.
Every time you try to tether, it has to connect to AT&T and verify that you have a tether plan. This adds additional couple seconds of time just to launch the tether app.
Poor overall experience. Sometimes it takes 2 seconds just to see the time after pressing the power button. As mentioned earlier, dialer app is slow, contacts app is also slow and half baked. S-Voice sucks.
Too much gimmicks and unpolished software.
Too much crap bloat. I went to play store and rated them all 1 star.

Last edited by a moderator:

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had AT&T Note 3 for couple months now and tried unlocked developer edition Moto X for about two weeks.

I prefer the Moto X, but had to return it because NFC was not working, and they would only replace it with a like-new-used device. I'm actually waiting for the Moto X2 now.

Now here's the long version of my thought on both devices.

Pros of Moto X:
Active Display is pure awesome. Every time I reach to my phone, I can see the time, and that's what I need it mostly for. To unlock, I don't even have to press the power button.
Moto X's smaller size makes it easier to carry in my pocket. Every time I get on the drivers seat, I have to take out Note3 from my pocket because it's really hard to pull it out while sitting.
Everything feels faster than Note 3. I've never used task switcher this much, and it was very smooth too. Note 3's dialler sometimes takes 2-3 seconds. Sometimes when I try to open Contacts, it tries to connect to AT&T Contacts and takes another 5 seconds. Wow, is Moto X really just a dual core Snapdragon S4 Pro? And Note 3 has Snapdragon 800 quadcore but it's slow [inappropriate language removed by moderators]
Shake to launch camera is also pretty quick and useful.

Cons:
Battery life is not that good. I use up 40% in just 2 hours moderate use (no games).
Camera quality below average. RGBC pixel fail?
There's a hairline crack problem on the back piece of the case especially on the developer edition.

Pros of Note3:
Digitizer is really useful. The large screen is a must for using digitizer pen, and does give better experience for web browsing.
Great battery life, removable battery and microSD card. It feels like with Moto X I get about half of what Note 3 gets.
Much better camera, but slow to launch.
Build quality is pretty good, and don't need a body protector on the back because it's scratch resistant.

Cons:
AT&T version has too much bloat. Seriously too much from both AT&T and Samsung. I had to disable 50 apps, and then there's still more that can't even be disabled.
Locked bootloader makes it unrootable, you are stuck with AT&T crap.
Every time you try to tether, it has to connect to AT&T and verify that you have a tether plan. This adds additional couple seconds of time just to launch the tether app.
Poor overall experience. Sometimes it takes 2 seconds just to see the time after pressing the power button. As mentioned earlier, dialer app is slow, contacts app is also slow and half baked. S-Voice sucks.
Too much gimmicks and unpolished software.
Too much crap bloat. I went to play store and rated them all 1 star.

Thank you for the thorough comparison. A lot of my experiences mimic yours outside of the build quality but that is, of course, subjective. The Digitizer is amazing on the note 3. It really is just highly impressive.