HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
How timely, an employee of mine just got the S5 4 days ago, and she is really concerned about its battery life. She says it was great the first 3 days but is now draining very fast. I made some adjustments to her settings, and we went to Verizon and they made a couple of other adjustments and hopefully it will be better. Personally my M8 gets great battery life. Her On screen time was about 2:20 and mine is about 5:50.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

thepurpleturtle

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
How timely, an employee of mine just got the S5 4 days ago, and she is really concerned about its battery life. She says it was great the first 3 days but is now draining very fast. I made some adjustments to her settings, and we went to Verizon and they made a couple of other adjustments and hopefully it will be better. Personally my M8 gets great battery life. Her On screen time was about 2:20 and mine is about 5:50.

Unfortunately, I've heard that the Verizon network isn't too good on battery life.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Not to defend Verizon, but I have Verizon too, and like I said I get great battery life on my M8. My employee is on Verizon and her S5 is getting terrible battery life. The Verizon reps say they have been getting a lot of complaints about the S5s battery life. It's just not what folks were expecting.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Not to defend Verizon, but I have Verizon too, and like I said I get great battery life on my M8. My employee is on Verizon and her S5 is getting terrible battery life. The Verizon reps say they have been getting a lot of complaints about the S5s battery life. It's just not what folks were expecting.

They can thank TouchWiz for that, it's just not as optimized as Sense 6

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've heard both ways on this,so let's try to settle this now. Comparing screen On time and standby time.

I for one am grateful that it has been IMPOSSIBLE to get less than seven hours of screen time in a 24hr period on my G Flex, if I go two days with everything on then I may see more like five-ish hours possibly.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Then it's not impossible

By two days I do indeed mean 36-50 hours off the mains. Last time I ran the battery out in less than 24 hours I had the screen on OVER TEN HOURS browsing in Opera. And Opera was 40% battery drain, screen was 27%.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
By two days I do indeed mean 36-50 hours off the mains. Last time I ran the battery out in less than 24 hours I had the screen on OVER TEN HOURS browsing in Opera. And Opera was 40% battery drain, screen was 27%.

I'm sure a lot of that is because the screen is only 720p on your flex. You have to remember the m8 has a 1080p screen. More pixels packed into a smaller screen is going to use more of the battery

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure a lot of that is because the screen is only 720p on your flex. You have to remember the m8 has a 1080p screen. More pixels packed into a smaller screen is going to use more of the battery

Smaller screen means lower backlight drain for LCD but then more pixels means more area blocked by the gate infrastructure so for example the new G3 screen needed a new pixel shape. Flex has a big screen but it's also one of the most efficient OLED panels yet so the phone can kinda cheat by. Like with gray on black e-reading I think it could hit close to 20 hours screen time so....but yes, there is also the reduced load on CPU and GPU and it still looks great. It's very impressive that the M8 with the 801 and a backlit screen gets such good battery life as to even come close, and it's still small enough to put a case on.

So anyways, m8 vs s5 when it comes to battery life?

M8 over S5 for battery, pretty much universally.

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
this is for sure a disappointment because Ive seen a ton of reviews that say they're both capable of over 8 hours or screen on time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463