When will Google fix Android's fragmentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
I don't think the S3 not getting updated has anything to do with fragmentation. It's over two years old at this point, and that's usually the limit for updates on any phone. The Galaxy Nexus didn't get Kit Kat, and the Nexus 4 didn't get factory images for the L preview.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
There will probably be ROMs that will fulfill that role.
that's an older solution for a niche segment of techies nowadays though. I think he's asking about a more mainstream solution, and it's a credible question. The answer IMO is that it's not going to happen until we start seeing Android Silver type devices from OEM's being offered for sale by carriers on a common basis.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It will never be fixed unless their business model changes. The issue is that Google isn't responsible for updating your phone: the manufacturer is. Furthermore, they have to go through the carrier. And they're not just updating you to the latest version of Android, they're making it work with their own custom skins, apps, and services. The end result is updates that come late or not at all. Google can't fix the fragmentation problem because they have no control over it.

On the other hand, some devices shouldn't be updated. Apple has a habit of updating its phones until they literally cannot run the software, making them slow. Just ask anyone with an iPhone 4 how they like iOS 7.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
that's an older solution for a niche segment of techies nowadays though. I think he's asking about a more mainstream solution, and it's a credible question. The answer IMO is that it's not going to happen until we start seeing Android Silver type devices from OEM's being offered for sale by carriers on a common basis.

Once the individual gets the hang of modding, they'll know it like the back of their hand! Of course, the dangers of it are still there (bricking , etc.) However, I do agree with your input.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It will never be fixed unless their business model changes. The issue is that Google isn't responsible for updating your phone: the manufacturer is. Furthermore, they have to go through the carrier. And they're not just updating you to the latest version of Android, they're making it work with their own custom skins, apps, and services. The end result is updates that come late or not at all. Google can't fix the fragmentation problem because they have no control over it.

On the other hand, some devices shouldn't be updated. Apple has a habit of updating its phones until they literally cannot run the software, making them slow. Just ask anyone with an iPhone 4 how they like iOS 7.

Google guarantees updates for the nexus for 18 months. My s3 is on 4.4.2 now which came out about 18 months after its release. So in this case, I don't fault Samsung.

"Nexus devices

Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device.

Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release."

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just hate that my GS3 will never get Android L.
Then your hate should be directed to LG, not Google.

There is no fragmentation, because Google does not forbid any devices from getting these updates. Android is free. Anyone can use it. Vendors are choosing not to support their devices.

As far as Google is concerned, Vendors could support their devices indefinitely with new versions of Android. Google is not the problem.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release."
The Galaxy Nexus was supported for 25 months. the Nexus 4 is already hitting the 18 month mark now and will be getting Android L.

Jarhead212

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I am just disappointed that Google is not taking any steps to fix this problem. Google didn't even address it at their conference. I understand that my device is "old", but even to get to Kitkat it took way too long. I also do put blame on Samsung as well. As big as they are why aren't they addressing this issue? Now I am tempted to switch to IOS, just so I get the latest software without having to jump through hoops to get it. I understand there are custom ROMs, but I'll leave that to the Android enthusiasts.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am just disappointed that Google is not taking any steps to fix this problem. Google didn't even address it at their conference. I understand that my device is "old", but even to get to Kitkat it took way too long. I also do put blame on Samsung as well. As big as they are why aren't they addressing this issue? Now I am tempted to switch to IOS, just so I get the latest software without having to jump through hoops to get it. I understand there are custom ROMs, but I'll leave that to the Android enthusiasts.

That's not Google's fault. As was mentioned above, it's up to the phone manufacturers. Android is open source, so they can do whatever they like and customize the OS, which makes getting Android updates out faster. And then the updates have to go through the carriers, which makes it take even longer.

As far as iOS, it's going to get you more updates, but the phones older than 2 years run horribly on iOS 7. Apple does it just for the sake of saying that they can update more phones.

Jarhead212

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
As time goes on I've come to realize that specs don't always translate to a better experience. IMO software truly dictates a user's experience. Alot of these Android phones arn't even optimizing it's software. Google has the means to do something. Why hasn't Google even addressed the issue, even if it isn't their fault. Android is their baby. Wouldn't they want a majority of its users to enjoy their latest software. I know this will take time to fix. They havnt even addressed the issue and that's my point.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand that my device is "old", but even to get to Kitkat it took way too long. I also do put blame on Samsung as well. As big as they are why aren't they addressing this issue? Now I am tempted to switch to IOS, just so I get the latest software without having to jump through hoops to get it. I understand there are custom ROMs, but I'll leave that to the Android enthusiasts.

Google deserves not one iota of blame for your S3 not getting timely updates. Zero. When Google releases a new version of Android, they make the source code available to EVERYONE. The only devices they build it for is their own Nexus line. Everyone else has to build their own. It is then up to Samsung to snatch it, compile it for your device, burden it down with Touchwiz and send it along. Then your CARRIER gets their hands on it and they also load it down with some more junk.... THEN it gets pushed out to your device. If Samsung or your carrier decided that they don't want to update you, your SOL as far as 'official' updates go. Google doesn't have a dog in that fight.

The custom community has had KitKat ROMs for your S3 since about a month after it was released last Halloween. Cyanogenmod, one of the most well known, first posted their KK build on December 7th.

Want fast and timely updates on your Android device? Either go custom or get a Nexus 5. Updates for Nexus devices come directly from Google, untouched by anyone else's hands, and they come quickly.

Jarhead212

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My point is that will it always have to be like this. I understand that their are roms. I am in no way shape or form angry. I am just posing the question if this process will every change to receive the next version of Android. Isn't anyone a little bummed that they have to go through so many steps to receive a single update. That goes for any phone. What do you think carrier's and or manufacturers could do?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
My point is that will it always have to be like this. I understand that their are roms. I am in no way shape or form angry. I am just posing the question if this process will every change to receive the next version of Android. Isn't anyone a little bummed that they have to go through so many steps to receive a single update. That goes for any phone. What do you think carrier's and or manufacturers could do?

The manufacturers should practice releasing timely software updates and the carrier's should do the same.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The manufacturers should practice releasing timely software updates and the carrier's should do the same.

Hell yeah they do. Now, I am sure each one has their reasons for taking so damn long to release an update. For me, I just see that as a indication as to just how much they are mucking around with things. Look at the Moto X.... took all of a month for it to start getting KitKat. Samsung? Took nearly 4 months to get 4.4 to the S4.

Why is that?

Samsung loads out a bloated, heavy mess on to their phones and Motorola does not. Samsung has to spend a crap-ton of extra time testing all that garbage they pile on top of Android before they can bless it.

The solution? Well, if the rumors hold true, that solution is Android Silver. I think that program, whatever it might be, seems to be exactly what you are getting at... Google is annoyed that the children (Samsung, HTC, et al.) made an absolute mess of things when they were left to their own devices.... so they are going to come in and really show what a nice, CLEAN experience Android can be when you don't cover it with mountains of useless bloat.

Less bloat, quicker to users.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am just disappointed that Google is not taking any steps to fix this problem.
They are taking Steps. Thats what Android Silver is. Thats why they are tightening restrictions on OEMs and their skins.

Google will force OEMs to ship devices with an up-to-date version of Android, says leaked report | ExtremeTech

Android is an open system, so there is a limit to what Google can do. The best solution is to just buy products from vendors that have a history of reliable support. Buy Moto or Nexus.

I understand that my device is "old", but even to get to Kitkat it took way too long.
Don't buy products from that vendor anymore.

The GS3 has had over 2 years of support already. That doesn't suck, and frankly, is way more than I expected from Samsung.

I also do put blame on Samsung as well.
Not "as well"...it is entirely them. Google is not the one preventing you from getting Kitkat on your GS3. Samsung is.

As big as they are why aren't they addressing this issue? Now I am tempted to switch to IOS
LOL, boy are you in for a shock. iOS8 has fewer features than Android Gingerbread. My 2009 Droid 1 can do more than the best iPhone.

so I get the latest software without having to jump through hoops to get it.
So you just want a new version number? You don't care about what features you'll actually be getting, you just want the same version number as the latest model? Apple can definitely provide that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.