Editorial: Galaxy S5 Already Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, the health apps on the S5 are not designed for athletes anyway. They are designed for people who like to pretend to be athletic.

The article makes a valid point, but is using an invalid example. Android phones are never supported all that long except Nexus.
Thats kind of a myth nowadays. The Galaxy S3 was released 24 months ago. My BF's S3 got an official KitKat upgrade last month.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thread moved to Phone Wars section. Please keep in mind calling people trolls, insults and other non productive conversation will be handled by the Mod team.

Thanks.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thats kind of a myth nowadays. The Galaxy S3 was released 24 months ago. My BF's S3 got an official KitKat upgrade last month.

It has improved with some phones, but is still nowhere near Apple's level of support. It's a crap shoot and when they do come they are 3-6 months after Google releases it. I bought my last HTC based on HTC's reputation for support and learned the hard way you can't rely on any Android manufacturer's reputation as it changes day to day and model to model.

Don't get me wrong, I like Android, but support needs to be improved. I would think most people could agree on that. Unfortunately there are many reasons for it that are beyond Google's control.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It has improved with some phones, but is still nowhere near Apple's level of support. It's a crap shoot and when they do come they are 3-6 months after Google releases it. I bought my last HTC based on HTC's reputation for support and learned the hard way you can't rely on any Android manufacturer's reputation as it changes day to day and model to model.

The reason that does not matter is that even obsolete Android phones are still ahead of current iPhones. Even if this is the last update that S3 receives, it is going to be able to do more than the iPhone 6 will.

Even Apple version numbers are largely placebos anyway. Older phones will not get new features necessarily. So it is kind of the same thing anyway.

Also...much of the functions of the OS are not tied to the OS. You can install the latest Google Maps even on old phones that no longer receive support. You can install current launchers even on older phones that do not have the current OS version.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Also...much of the functions of the OS are not tied to the OS. You can install the latest Google Maps even on old phones that no longer receive support. You can install current launchers even on older phones that do not have the current OS version.

Google didn't do the Google Play/Services end-around because they thought it was cool.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The S5 has sold faster than any other phone Samsung has released so far.

It is clear to me that you did not read the article before you posted. From the link above:

Yonhap quoted analyst Lee Min-hee at I’Min Investment & Securities Co. as attributing the sagging profits to the somewhat disappointing response to the new Galaxy S5 since its introduction in March just as the second quarter was about to begin. Samsung shipped approximately 17 million units of Galaxy S5 in the second quarter as opposed to 20 million units of Galaxy S4 in its first three months, according to Yonhap.

The S5 shipped less than the S4.

Sent from my 64 gig Retina IPad Mini

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is clear to me that you did not read the article before you posted. From the link above:

Yonhap quoted analyst Lee Min-hee at I’Min Investment & Securities Co. as attributing the sagging profits to the somewhat disappointing response to the new Galaxy S5
Where did you even get that quote from? Do you bother to source anything you claim, or do you just repeat stuff other Apple people have told you?

The S5 shipped less than the S4.
According to...who exactly? - Galaxy S5 vs Galaxy S4 Sales: Samsung confirms numbers for 2014 launch | BGR - The S5 is the second highest selling phone anywhere. How can that be "disappointing"?

Apple can still claim the highest selling individual phone. For how long, no one knows. Apple is getting eaten alive almost everywhere by Android.

In the three months ending May 2014, Android was the most-popular platform in US (61.9 percent), China (82.7 percent), Australia (60.8 percent) and Europe (73.3 percent), while iPhones only took first place in Japan (51.7 percent); Apple's iOS came in second everywhere else (32.5 percent in US, 14.7 percent in China, 30.1 percent in Australia, and 16.6 percent in Europe).

Samsung Galaxy S5 sales are quite good

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
http://www.forbes.com/sites/donaldk...-stumble-profits-down-against-chinese-rivals/

I got the quote from the link that I posted. Here it is again. You did not bother read the link that I posted.

This just came out. It is more recent than what you posted. Here is the quote again from the link posted above

"Yon-hap quoted analyst Lee Min-hee at I’Min Investment & Securities Co. as attributing the sagging profits to the somewhat disappointing response to the new Galaxy S5 since its introduction in March just as the second quarter was about to begin. Samsung shipped approximately 17 million units of Galaxy S5 in the second quarter as opposed to 20 million units of Galaxy S4 in its first three months, according to Yonhap."

And here is a prediction from the same link above:

"Lee told Yonhap. Moreover, for the third quarter of this year Galaxy S5 is likely to sell only 6 million units compared with 16 million units of the Galaxy S4 sold “over the similar period.”"

As I said before, please read the article in the link before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Where did you even get that quote from? Do you bother to source anything you claim, or do you just repeat stuff other Apple people have told you?

According to...who exactly? - Galaxy S5 vs Galaxy S4 Sales: Samsung confirms numbers for 2014 launch | BGR - The S5 is the second highest selling phone anywhere. How can that be "disappointing"?

Apple can still claim the highest selling individual phone. For how long, no one knows. Apple is getting eaten alive almost everywhere by Android.

Why did you make this about Apple vs Samsung. This is about Samsung and everybody other competitor including themselves. Also that article talks about 1st month shipment and remaining expectations. Expectations and the final numbers fell flat vs the S4.

Samsung's Smartphones Falter, Profits Fall, Against Chinese Rivals - Forbes

I got the quote from the link that I posted. Here it is again. You did not bother read the link that I posted.

This just came out. It is more recent than what you posted. Here is the quote again from the link posted above

"Yon-hap quoted analyst Lee Min-hee at I’Min Investment & Securities Co. as attributing the sagging profits to the somewhat disappointing response to the new Galaxy S5 since its introduction in March just as the second quarter was about to begin. Samsung shipped approximately 17 million units of Galaxy S5 in the second quarter as opposed to 20 million units of Galaxy S4 in its first three months, according to Yonhap."

And here is a prediction from the same link above:

"Lee told Yonhap. Moreover, for the third quarter of this year Galaxy S5 is likely to sell only 6 million units compared with 16 million units of the Galaxy S4 sold “over the similar period.”"

As I said before, please read the article in the link before posting.

Here is where the problem lies.

The reality is that if you want another Android phone there are tons of options. Lenovo was mention in the article. I really believe with them buying Motorola they can really corner the Chinese market and start bullying around Samsung in their home territory.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why did you make this about Apple vs Samsung.
Because this thread (the OP) is implying the S5 is obsolete. Not sure how one of the best selling phones in the world can be "obsolete".

This is a classic example of exaggeration. The S5 is clearly not selling badly. The "disappointing sales" are only relative to another samsung product. Not sure how that = "obsolete". Not that anyone has bothered to define what Obsolete means in this context anyway. It has industry-leading specs...far in excess of any comparable phones (sales-wise). Including (and maybe especially) iPhones.

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Because this thread (the OP) is implying the S5 is obsolete. Not sure how one of the best selling phones in the world can be "obsolete".

This is a classic example of exaggeration. The S5 is clearly not selling badly. The "disappointing sales" are only relative to another samsung product. Not sure how that = "obsolete". Not that anyone has bothered to define what Obsolete means in this context anyway. It has industry-leading specs...far in excess of any comparable phones. Including (and maybe especially) iPhones.

Well here is the truth about all smart phones. They are all obsolete (and I mean out of date) before they are released. The reason why is that the future is already being planned, processed, and built. And in that sense, almost everything we buy with technology is outdated or obsolete as soon as it is in the store.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well here is the truth about all smart phones. They are all obsolete (and I mean out of date) before they are released. The reason why is that the future is already being planned, processed, and built. And in that sense, almost everything we buy with technology is outdated or obsolete as soon as it is in the store.

"Obsolete" does not mean what you think it means.

ob·so·lete [ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet] Show IPA
adjective
1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
Obsolete | Define Obsolete at Dictionary.com
If we are using those definitions, the S5 is clearly not obsolete. It is not discarded and is in wide general use.

And if all phones are obsolete regardless of when they were released, then I don't see the point of the OP anyway. Why bother posting something that applies to every phone on the market, past and present? If what you are saying is true, what is the point of the OP?

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
This is a classic example of exaggeration. The S5 is clearly not selling badly. The "disappointing sales" are only relative to another samsung product.

That is not correct. In the UK and the US the S5 sold less than the iphone 5s, a phone from 2013.

"May was the first full month of Galaxy S5 sales since its European release. Despite its blockbuster launch, the Galaxy S5 was only the third highest selling smartphone in Britain behind the iPhone 5s and 5c... In the USA the Samsung Galaxy S5 was the second highest selling smartphone in May just behind the iPhone 5S."

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Galaxy-S5-attracts-some-Apple-customers-in-Europe

So not only is the S5 selling less than the S4, in the US and the UK it is selling less than the iPhone 5s a phone from 2013.

Even worse, in the UK it sold less than the 5c, a phone with technology from 2012.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a constant tug of war between phone manufactures & models. None of this should be alarming to anyone. The S5 isn't obsolete, that premise is faulty. It's a great phone by today's standards, and soon it will be surpassed by something better. yawn. That's how it works. The fact that the S4 may have sold more in the same initial time means nothing to me. I would've bought an S5 the moment it was available if I wasn't under a 2 year contract. Because of this, an S5 was $599. Fortunately I was able to get my hands on one eventually, but there's probably a lot of people who'd like to get their hands on one but can't.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Let's move on.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That is not correct. In the UK and the US the S5 sold less than the iphone 5s, a phone from 2013.
OMG that totally disproves everything, because UK sales are just that important.

Also...my post was referring to the OP. So please read the entire thread before responding kthx.

Even worse, in the UK it sold less than the 5c, a phone with technology from 2012.
If my entire existence was based on the S5 selling better than the iPhone in the UK, I'd probably be pretty worried by now.

The 5c is technically not technology from 2012...it is technology from 2010. That was the last time a sub-HD display was still relevant technology.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
OMG that totally disproves everything, because UK sales are just that important.

The 5s outsold the S5 in the USA AND THE UK. The quote cited from the article mentioned BOTH countries.

If my entire existence was based on the S5 selling better than the iPhone in the UK, I'd probably be pretty worried by now.

One more time, the 5s outsold the S5 in May in BOTH THE UK AND THE USA.

Please go back and read the quote from the article. It is right in front of your eyes.

The 5c is technically not technology from 2012...it is technology from 2010. That was the last time a sub-HD display was still relevant technology.

Which makes it even worse for the S5. A brand spanking 2014 flagship phone outsold by a phone with 2010 technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.