11-13-2015 01:18 AM
129 123 ...
tools
    I have been using Samsung phones for the last 3 or 4 years. I've had several of them, including S2, S3, Note II, and Note 3. They were all excellent phones.

I have zero experience with the iPhones, until today. My friend managed to get his paws on a spanking new iPhone 6 Plus. The first thing that I noticed was how smooth and fast everything was running. It's almost like day and night. I thought maybe it was just a new phone having very few apps installed. However, my friend has already had all of his previously-purchased apps installed... all 127 of them. In fact, his 64GB iPhone 6 Plus only had 590mb of storage space remaining. I kept comparing the same apps running on my S5 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Even Google apps seem to run much smoother on t
    he iPhone.

I decided to restore my 3-month-old S5 just in case there's something wrong with it. While it was restoring, I tried my friend's 2-year-old iPad 2. Oh wow.... I was again surprised by how fast and smooth it ran, compared to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(2014).

After my S5 finished restoring, I compared it to the iPhone 6 Plus again... no.. the iPhone 6 was still faster and smoother. Come to think of it, I don't think it was necessarily "faster" but the experience made everything seem to flow faster and in a velvety way.

I didn't think I would admit this, but I was genuinely jealous of my friend's iPhone 6 Plus. Well... almost... I absolutely cannot stand the fact that it doesn't have SD card slot and user-replaceable battery(both features are why I've stuck with Samsung phones for so long) It was also not nice when I couldn't install launchers to customize the homescreen to just how I like it.

Oh well......
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    09-20-2014 05:50 PM
    Samsung's Galaxy S phones have always been laggy garbage. The Note fares much better because of the increased RAM. Sad thing is: it takes 3GB of RAM just to get the UI to run somewhat smoothly, and it still falls short of the iOS experience. Samsung's heavy skins and useless features bog down their phones. iPhones "just work", as they say.

If you want an Android phone that won't lag, you'll have to get a Nexus.
    ConTejas likes this.
    09-20-2014 06:02 PM
    Samsung's Galaxy S phones have always been laggy garbage. The Note fares much better because of the increased RAM. Sad thing is: it takes 3GB of RAM just to get the UI to run somewhat smoothly, and it still falls short of the iOS experience. Samsung's heavy skins and useless features bog down their phones. iPhones "just work", as they say.

I had a Nexus 5 for a few months.... sold it because it had no MicroSD card slot. I thought I could live with a phone that had no MicroSD card slot... turned out that I couldn't, which is why I sold it and went to a Galaxy Note 3. The Note 3 was about equally fast/smooth as the Nexus 5. (which means it's not faster/smoother than this new iPhone 6 Plus)
    09-20-2014 06:22 PM

I have the original Galaxy S, and yes, that phone was slow.
    but, when you got rid of the stuff you didn't need, it did pretty good for its' generation.

My current S5 is not slow at all and I can only surmize that those who complain of slowness have too much crap going on in the background.

I have everything turned off except for Location. I open the apps I want to use and then I close them. They all respond quickly, some faster than others depending on the kind of app they are. News apps are slow because they always have to pull their data from a server.

I don't play games, I have all animations turned off, I like the flat look so 3D is turned off.
    My screens jump to where I want to go.

My phone is doing an excellent job and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Never used an iPhone.... I abandoned Steve Jobs & Company back in 1988 when I got tired of them always stealing money out of my wallet. Never went back again, and never will.
    Umass021 likes this.
    09-20-2014 06:26 PM
    My s5 is lag free

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2014 06:32 PM
    My s5 is lag free
    Are you sure about that?

I didn't think my Galaxy Tab lagged until I compared it to my brother's iPad. Then I couldn't un-see it.
    09-20-2014 06:46 PM
    Are you sure about that?

I didn't think my Galaxy Tab lagged until I compared it to my brother's iPad. Then I couldn't un-see it.
    My S5 is just as fast and smooth as the iPhone 5S I owned at the beginning of the year. I also find that my galaxy tab pro 10.1 is a fluid as my ipad air. I really couldn't care less if another phone opens an app a millisecond faster than my own. My Samsung devices are plenty fast and that's all that matters to me.

Posted from my S5
    09-20-2014 07:01 PM
    My s5 is just as fast as my fiancé's new iPhone 6. No lag whatsoever.
    Umass021, Gray Area and A895 like this.
    09-20-2014 07:13 PM
    I have been using Samsung phones for the last 3 or 4 years. I've had several of them, including S2, S3, Note II, and Note 3. They were all excellent phones.

I have zero experience with the iPhones, until today. My friend managed to get his paws on a spanking new iPhone 6 Plus. The first thing that I noticed was how smooth and fast everything was running. It's almost like day and night. I thought maybe it was just a new phone having very few apps installed. However, my friend has already had all of his previously-purchased apps installed... all 127 of them. In fact, his 64GB iPhone 6 Plus only had 590mb of storage space remaining. I kept comparing the same apps running on my S5 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Even Google apps seem to run much smoother on t
    he iPhone.

I decided to restore my 3-month-old S5 just in case there's something wrong with it. While it was restoring, I tried my friend's 2-year-old iPad 2. Oh wow.... I was again surprised by how fast and smooth it ran, compared to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(2014).

After my S5 finished restoring, I compared it to the iPhone 6 Plus again... no.. the iPhone 6 was still faster and smoother. Come to think of it, I don't think it was necessarily "faster" but the experience made everything seem to flow faster and in a velvety way.

I didn't think I would admit this, but I was genuinely jealous of my friend's iPhone 6 Plus. Well... almost... I absolutely cannot stand the fact that it doesn't have SD card slot and user-replaceable battery(both features are why I've stuck with Samsung phones for so long) It was also not nice when I couldn't install launchers to customize the homescreen to just how I like it.

Oh well......
    I don't have any lag with my s5 and i have had mine since launch day. it works fine even with all the crap i do on it ( shrugs)
    what's lagging for me is my ipad 2. has your friend updated to IOS 8 on their ipad 2? since the update mine has been giving me the blues.
    09-20-2014 07:24 PM
    My s5 is lag free

Posted via the Android Central App
    Mine too. Smokin fast and my battery lasts 24-30hrs.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-20-2014 07:43 PM
    I have a S5 & 6+(had 5S) & using the phones side by side, the S5 is slower. With my 5S, emails would come through faster & apps also opened faster(same carrier & contract). You don't notice the difference using the S5 alone but when I use it along side of my iPhone, it's a huge difference. It's still a good device but the lag is very noticeable.
    09-20-2014 07:50 PM
    I have the original Galaxy S, and yes, that phone was slow.
    but, when you got rid of the stuff you didn't need, it did pretty good for its' generation.

My current S5 is not slow at all and I can only surmize that those who complain of slowness have too much crap going on in the background.

I have everything turned off except for Location. I open the apps I want to use and then I close them. They all respond quickly, some faster than others depending on the kind of app they are. News apps are slow because they always have to pull their data from a server.

I don't play games, I have all animations turned off, I like the flat look so 3D is turned off.
    My screens jump to where I want to go.

My phone is doing an excellent job and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Never used an iPhone.... I abandoned Steve Jobs & Company back in 1988 when I got tired of them always stealing money out of my wallet. Never went back again, and never will.
    It shouldn't matter. I have everything on on my iPhone & never close apps & it doesn't lag. That's supposedly with 1GB RAM. I shouldn't have to close & turn off everything for my phone to run smooth.
    jdhooghe and Marc Jentzsch like this.
    09-20-2014 07:53 PM
    Samsung phones never seem to lag until you put it next to a device without a skin overlay. My Moto X 2013 is a much smoother experience than my Note 3. However my brothers iPhone 6 is a step ahead of my moto x (I can't speak for a nexus since I know of no one that has one and Verizon can't carry it). That iPhone is a quick and very liquid smooth device. I have both an ipad mini and Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and the ipad is light years ahead of the note regarding opening apps and scrolling. The Galaxy tablet is probably the worst experience I've had on a Samsung device. I know that skins provide some extra features but it really does impact the performance and most won't know notice a difference until they put it next to a device without an overlay. I have developer options turned on transitions set to 0 on all my devices and Nova prime installed. This is definitely not bad mouthing Samsung devices because they truly are some great products, and could be better if touch wiz was slimmed down a bit.

nikkisharif likes this.
    09-20-2014 08:15 PM
    My S5 is lag free. I don't understand people who say that the S5 lags.

09-20-2014 08:15 PM
    Lag must be in the hand of the beholder. Still would not give up my killer screen, removeable battery, sd card, 3rd party everything for the possibility of someone else's lack of lag. I think I said that correctly.
    09-20-2014 08:26 PM
    I agree, my s5 has no lag

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
    robert26101 and RStoychev like this.
    09-20-2014 08:27 PM
    S5 lag? What lag? This the smoothest running phone I ever had. My friend had his iphone 5s out last nite and we were both fiddling wth it trying to find out wat the hell was wrong with it. Come to find out? Nothing was wrong with it it was just a piece of garbage. As far as the iphone6 of course its going to seem superior it just came out days ago. But y switch from a galaxys5 to a iphone6 apple just played catch up thtz all. If you talking about an upgrade the only phone thats a significant difference is the Note 4 now thtz an upgrade! My galaxys5 is perfect and I've had it since the day it came out. Goodnight all

Posted from galaxyS5
    09-20-2014 08:34 PM
    Certainly a lot of biased comments here. Lol. Iphone is garbage? I guess this is android central.
    Ian Steven and jdhooghe like this.
    09-20-2014 09:11 PM
    My S5 does just fine. I use it for personal and business use. I have my Bluetooth connected 5 - 6 days a week, maps, email (2 accts), text messages, internet, phone calls all day. I guess I don't know what "lag" is, it's fast enough for me. I have always lived by the thought if you think it's a good deal, then it is, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    bbqdroid likes this.
    09-20-2014 09:23 PM
    Are you sure about that?

I have a friend that has the ip 5s, and it lags. my s5 doesnt lag
    09-20-2014 09:25 PM
    Certainly a lot of biased comments here. Lol. Iphone is garbage? I guess this is android central.
    I never noticed how laggy my S5 was until I used it side-by-side with the new iPhone 6 Plus. (opening the same apps, including identical Google apps at the same time)

never really paid any attention to this forum until now because my S5 has been running fine, until now....

searched the word "lag" in the S5 forum and I got more than 500 threads complaining of lag....
    yet there are also a lot of people saying they have no lag.... this probably means there is a
    serious quality control issue at the Samsung factory?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sea...archid=8817656
    09-20-2014 09:26 PM
    I just think it's funny when people call the iphone garbage when it's a well made device. Both phones have their uses. Iphones tend to be more smooth and problem free. Android has more freedom. Each has something for someone.
    jdhooghe and WaveLightGames like this.
    09-20-2014 09:32 PM
    What carrier you guys on? Im on Att maybe its a carrier thing for lag..

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
    09-20-2014 09:41 PM
    I just think it's funny when people call the iphone garbage when it's a well made device. Both phones have their uses. Iphones tend to be more smooth and problem free. Android has more freedom. Each has something for someone.
    Android users make the mistake of thinking that only people who are ill-informed about technology, or who simply don't care about all of a phone's abilities, would be "foolish" enough to buy an iPhone. A lot of them look at a spec sheet, assume that the iPhone is inferior, and that the people who buy it must not realize it. What many of them fail to understand is that it's not about the spec list; it's about the experience. (Why do you need 3GB of RAM if 1GB can do the same job? Does that make a phone "inferior"?)

It stems from a lack of security in their own purchasing decision. They see that the iPhone is the biggest selling brand in the U.S, but they want to justify going "against the tide".

Just for the record, I'm an Android user. I have a Moto X. But I didn't pass over the iPhone because it "sucks"; it just didn't have the feature set I wanted. If it ever did get the things I wanted, I would give it consideration, because there are many things that iPhones simply do better than Android devices.
    09-20-2014 09:47 PM
    My S5 lags but I'm not sure if it's touchwiz or aviate
    I love the launcher, but I think it's causing the lag

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    09-20-2014 09:50 PM
129 123 ...