iPhone 6's are bending when sitting down?

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test

Who didn't know aluminum was malleable let alone with what could happen with large moment arms? This is basic physics. 'Murica

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test

This was also found in the HTC one. Now I want to see him do the same test with a note. With the same amount of force

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Those are very extreme cases. I don't recall any major tech sites reporting widespread issues with those bent devices. And while it is obvious that with enough pressure will bend anything, the pressure from having a phone in your FRONT pocket should not be nearly enough. Apple knows that's where people keep their phones, but decided to release such a thin phone anyway.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

See, the difference is that the iPhone seems to take less force to bend than other metal phones like the M8. I don't really want to break my M8, but I definitely made my knuckles white from the force and the phone didn't even flex. I also had two M7's that have not bent, and I keep them in my pockets a lot.

If we want "real science" someone will need to measure the amount of force each phone takes to bend to the point where it doesn't correct itself.

In the 5/5s it was discovered that the aluminum shell was super thin. It's probably the same with the 6/6+ and has little resistance to flexing because it's just not as thick as the M7/M8. That's just a guess, but is logical. That, and HTC puts a curve on the back, which definitely aids its strength.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

No. People need to take basic physics again. Large phones have large moment arms, metal is malleable and thin things are easier to break than thick things; they have fewer bonds. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions. The HTC One was malleable because it was metal but it was thick. The HTC one x if I remember right was thin and the number of bonds that needed to break was fewer. Unfortunately this is how Apple designed it and they are going to take a lot of flack for it. I want this guy to do the same thing with the note, G3, HTC one and Z3. Let's see what all these do under the same torque. This can only strengthen the consumer

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

See, the difference is that the iPhone seems to take less force to bend than other metal phones like the M8. I don't really want to break my M8, but I definitely made my knuckles white from the force and the phone didn't even flex. I also had two M7's that have not bent, and I keep them in my pockets a lot.

If we want "real science" someone will need to measure the amount of force each phone takes to bend to the point where it doesn't correct itself.

In the 5/5s it was discovered that the aluminum shell was super thin. It's probably the same with the 6/6+ and has little resistance to flexing because it's just not as thick as the M7/M8. That's just a guess, but is logical. That, and HTC puts a curve on the back, which definitely aids its strength.

I completely agree. The more knowledge on all these phones under the same pressure can only benefit the consumer

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

No. People need to take basic physics again. Large phones have large moment arms, metal is malleable and thin things are easier to break than thick things; they have fewer bonds. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions. The HTC One was malleable because it was metal but it was thick. The HTC one x if I remember right was thin and the number of bonds that needed to break was fewer. Unfortunately this is how Apple designed it and they are going to take a lot of flack for it. I want this guy to do the same thing with the note, G3, HTC one and Z3. Let's see what all these do under the same torque. This can only strengthen the consumer

If anyone has to take physics it's the folks at Apple :p
They should know how resistant to bending the phones are. They knew people were going to be using the phones in their front pockets, which is where the people reporting the issues are keeping their phones. No other phone bends as easily as the iPhone appears to be bending.

guitarec

May 28, 2011
Visit site

... and with the new iPhone 6+, we have also incorporated our industry first "variable geometry technology". Innovation!!

guitarec

May 28, 2011
Visit site

>Android blogger: Um... Actually your "innovation" was done first by the HTC EVO 4G LTE in 2012...

broken-evo-1.jpg

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note3 easily survives the bend test that the iPhone failed

I wonder which model G-Shock watch this guy was wearing?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Update...the same guy did a bend demo with a Note 3. Want to guess the outcome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

Maybe Apple needs to start copying Samsung. They seem to have perfected the art of making durable large phones.

Well, I guess that iPhone users will have to stop putting their phones in the tight pockets of their skinny jeans. ..

You can keep your tight jeans with the Note 3.

Last edited:

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I know, I was so shocked when I saw the video and the guy bending the iPhone 6 plus
I thought the designed looked good though, even though it seemed huge

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463