12-18-2014 02:05 AM
35 12
tools
    I'm really conflicted, anybody else?

Posted via Android Central App with my Xperia Z1s
    10-17-2014 07:18 AM
    leaning towards maybe giving the z3 a shot myself if I am not satisfied with my one+
    10-17-2014 07:37 AM
    To be honest I think they are two totally different devices. Z3 definitely maintains one-handed use while Nexus is a monster. I honestly think the Z3 is the best made device I have owned. If you have questions I would be happy to answer.
    10-17-2014 08:07 AM
    It depends on your preferences--you want Sony's android interface or stock (Google) android? Also 5.2" vs. 5.9" screen and how you want to hold or carry the phone. For me, anything above 5" (5.2" is exceptional in some cases) is just too big for a smartphone. This is because the screen makes up the 5"+ diagonal size, and bezels of phone manufacturers add more length to them. If only a phone can have 5.5" screen with minimal bezel, that would be ideal.
    10-17-2014 09:48 AM
    I was debating as well. The Z3's size was about as big as I wanted my phone to be. Once the rumors of a 5.9" screen for the Nexus 6 started, it helped me make my final decision. I have a Nexus 5 currently and have never had a Sony, so I'm hoping I like the change.
    10-17-2014 11:23 AM
    I was debating as well. The Z3's size was about as big as I wanted my phone to be. Once the rumors of a 5.9" screen for the Nexus 6 started, it helped me make my final decision. I have a Nexus 5 currently and have never had a Sony, so I'm hoping I like the change.
    Well, what a coincidence. I currently own a Nexus 5 myself, and waiting for my Xperia Z3 to come next week. I wish the Xperia have the stock android. That would be very ideal. The Sony interface I will have to take some time to get used to.

I was very excited to hear about the Nexus 6 until I read it has the 5.9" screen. I quickly gave up on the Nexus series for now. What a bummer!
    10-17-2014 02:21 PM
    Sold my Nexus 5 last week in prep for the Nexus 6 but at that price ($800 CDN for 64GB), I'm going to pass. Now considering the Z3 as I can probably get it for $200 less than the Nexus 6 (sure it will only have 16GB of space but you have microSD to bump it up to more than the N6).

While not as high resolution, the screen of the Z3 should be fine (almost the same as the N5 which was fine for me) and it will probably have a brighter screen than the N6 (reviews will have to confirm it though). This is actually one of my reasons for the Z3 as I really want a screen you can see outdoors in the sunlight.

The memory expansion will allow for more storage space than the Nexus which is good for me as the bulk of my storage needs are media, not apps or games (so 16GB of internal storage is fine with me as I'll be dumping the 30 some GB's of data on the SD card).

Battery life is supposed to be one of the best out there which should be at least 3 times better than the N5 and while I'm not sure how it compares yet to the N6 but I would expect the Z3 will last longer.

In terms of the camera, I expect the Z3 to be better than the N6 as Motorola's cameras haven't been that good to date.

So, Z3 > cheaper, more storage (depending on how you look at it), better camera, longer battery life, brighter screen (most likely), waterproof/dustproof
    And N6 > larger screen (plus or minus depending on your needs), stock Android (less bloatware), faster OS updates

If the N6 was $200 less, I'd probably stick with the Nexus line but not for $200 more.
    10-17-2014 02:45 PM
    ^Agreed with everything.
    10-17-2014 03:13 PM
    The Z3 is what the Nexus 6 should have been. At least one version of it. Would have like to see a large and small ala Apple.

Posted via Galaxy S5
    10-17-2014 07:28 PM
    The Z3 is what the Nexus 6 should have been. At least one version of it. Would have like to see a large and small ala Apple.

Posted via Galaxy S5
    100% agree

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-17-2014 07:31 PM
    To be honest I think they are two totally different devices. Z3 definitely maintains one-handed use while Nexus is a monster. I honestly think the Z3 is the best made device I have owned. If you have questions I would be happy to answer.
    I'm debating between Z3 or IPhone. Can you give me your thoughts?

Phone junkie
    10-17-2014 07:46 PM

Phone junkie
    This question is hard to answer because it is all about preferences. Which interface (OS) are you more comfortable with? Have you tried both before? Here are my thoughts.

Iphones are so easy to use--you don't need to be tech savvy to use it, although that's not completely true anymore. Iphone 6 is good size, 6+ is just too big. Iphone is more expensive if you go for the bigger storage. No expandable storage. Not waterproof. (Not microwaveable...pun intended). Screen resolution is kind of awkward size for 6, 1080p for 6+, Camera is 13mp but is very good due to the software. Pertruding camera though. Apple support is often very convenient when things go wrong. This is what you pay for when buying the brand. Apps library is one of the largest out there.

Z3 is very robust. 1080p screen, waterproof, ps4 remote play (kind of gimmick), expandable storage (MicroSD), 20.7mp camera, 2 day battery life*, android OS. Overall better specs, but don't use it to dismiss iphones though. Android app library is probably 2nd best after apple.

I am sure there are more cons and pros of both. In my opinion, both phones are good, but Z3 is better overall. Its cheaper for better specs. Iphone is overpriced. Get the Z3!
    huntnyc likes this.
    10-17-2014 10:32 PM

Phone junkie
    I have both right now. I switch between iOS and Android all the time, so I do not have any blind allegiance. I find Android and really Google Now/OK Google to really being setting Android apart recently. That being said, I tend to like smaller phones (small to me was Nexus 5 type) because I like one-handed use. I generally keep a larger phone for use at work and as a small tablet, etc.

As the person above mentioned, your OS preference would be the first deciding factor. I haven't had the Z3 long enough to say the camera is better, but it is impressive. The Z3 display is better than the iPhone in my opinion (comparing to 6 not 6+). Battery is better on Z3, expandable storage is nice and I feel I can still use the Z3 one-handed. (My biggest concern one-handed is ability to type - not worried about top of screen so much as I keep widgets up there on my Android and use gestures to pull down).

Back to OS - Apps are always a little more polished on iOS because developers have less devices to make them play nice with. As for app availability, it is a wash at this point. iOS 8 has brought some great changes, but still bores me a little. When I need something to just work, I go iPhone, but generally I prefer Android and it's ecosystem these days.

If you have specific questions, I can try and answer those too. What device are you coming from?
    10-18-2014 10:53 AM
    ^X2 Hear it from an experienced person right here.
    10-18-2014 11:50 AM

Phone junkie
    Advice above is excellent. Try and have a go of these phones. How do they feel in the hand? Immediate thoughts on software? To be honest both are excellent devices and will perform well so you can't really go wrong. Also try and decide what your priorities are: battery means z3, apps are a bit better on ios. But look forward to it, either way you're going to get a cracking new phone.
    10-18-2014 01:23 PM
    I have both right now. I switch between iOS and Android all the time, so I do not have any blind allegiance. I find Android and really Google Now/OK Google to really being setting Android apart recently. That being said, I tend to like smaller phones (small to me was Nexus 5 type) because I like one-handed use. I generally keep a larger phone for use at work and as a small tablet, etc.

As the person above mentioned, your OS preference would be the first deciding factor. I haven't had the Z3 long enough to say the camera is better, but it is impressive. The Z3 display is better than the iPhone in my opinion (comparing to 6 not 6+). Battery is better on Z3, expandable storage is nice and I feel I can still use the Z3 one-handed. (My biggest concern one-handed is ability to type - not worried about top of screen so much as I keep widgets up there on my Android and use gestures to pull down).

Back to OS - Apps are always a little more polished on iOS because developers have less devices to make them play nice with. As for app availability, it is a wash at this point. iOS 8 has brought some great changes, but still bores me a little. When I need something to just work, I go iPhone, but generally I prefer Android and it's ecosystem these days.

If you have specific questions, I can try and answer those too. What device are you coming from?
    I have had Android ( ics) Blackberry, IPhone, and Windows. All platforms as you can see.

I am looking for battery life, security of apps, and quality built devices.

Phone junkie
    10-19-2014 11:51 AM
    Now that more info and reviews have come out, have you changed your mind at all? I'm so conflicted between n6 and z3 on T-Mobile.
    11-10-2014 12:45 AM
    Now that more info and reviews have come out, have you changed your mind at all? I'm so conflicted between n6 and z3 on T-Mobile.
    I have always been a Nexus fan and this is the first Nexus device that has sparked my interest in awhile. The Xperia line is very nice and I have enjoyed my Z1s but I've decided to go with a Nexus 6.
    11-10-2014 09:33 AM
    I have always been a Nexus fan and this is the first Nexus device that has sparked my interest in awhile. The Xperia line is very nice and I have enjoyed my Z1s but I've decided to go with a Nexus 6.
    Let us know how you get on with it. I'm not sure I want a phone that big so will be interesting to hear what it's like to have one.
    11-10-2014 10:46 AM
    I was in the same boat as you, but ultimately went with the Z3, which should be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a change as I had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S. I like stock Android and all, but I wasn't real excited with the L preview on my Nexus 5. The Z3 will get L eventually, so I'm happy with that.

The Nexus 6 also seemed a little too big and I rather have an LED notification light than the ambient display. I also can't imagine battery life being better than the Z3 with the QHD screen and almost the same battery. So with battery life the Z3 wins. Also, I love the fact the Z3 is waterproof!

11-11-2014 07:01 PM
    I was in the same boat as you, but ultimately went with the Z3, which should be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a change as I had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S. I like stock Android and all, but I wasn't real excited with the L preview on my Nexus 5. The Z3 will get L eventually, so I'm happy with that.

The Nexus 6 also seemed a little too big and I rather have an LED notification light than the ambient display. I also can't imagine battery life being better than the Z3 with the QHD screen and almost the same battery. So with battery life the Z3 wins. Also, I love the fact the Z3 is waterproof!

Yes, many of those factors have influenced me as well. I purchased my z3 yesterday. So far I'm happy with it. The only thing that drives me nuts is the cover over the charging port. I know it's a must for waterproofing, and I want the waterproofing, but it's annoying. I wish they would have made it qi charging capable. I think I'll end up buying the charging dock, but I've read reviews on Amazon that the charging dock doesn't work with cases. So, still don't know what I'll do. Thoughts?
    11-11-2014 07:10 PM
    Yes, many of those factors have influenced me as well. I purchased my z3 yesterday. So far I'm happy with it. The only thing that drives me nuts is the cover over the charging port. I know it's a must for waterproofing, and I want the waterproofing, but it's annoying. I wish they would have made it qi charging capable. I think I'll end up buying the charging dock, but I've read reviews on Amazon that the charging dock doesn't work with cases. So, still don't know what I'll do. Thoughts?
    Save your money on the charging dock and get the magnector cable or adapter instead. But if you have a case without too much clearance in the magnetic charging area then you'll most likely need the cable instead as it allows for more clearance than the adapter. Both of them are great a lot more magnetic strength than even the original Sony.
    11-11-2014 08:25 PM
    I got the official charging dock and the magnetic USB charger early and tried it with my wife's Z1 compact and both of them work great, so I'm expecting the same results on my Z3. I won't be using a case with my Z3 btw.

11-11-2014 08:33 PM

Well......after the N6 release mess I'm beginning to rethink my decision. I have a Z1s and my experience had been great until yesterday. I got a system update (a good thing) but it "broke" Amazon Music, now the app crashes whenever I try to open it. I'll wait and see if Amazon or Sony release an update in the next day or two. I don't stream music so it's not a big problem.

Given my overall positive experience with my Z1s, the Z3 is a contender, especially since TMo didn't mess with the physical design of the phone this time so I can use all Z3 cases, this was a problem with the Z1s. It's just not that major of an upgrade; another gb of RAM, a slightly faster processor and an improved and slightly larger display. Speaking about the display, any one here move from the Z1s to the Z3....I'm curious about how much better the screen is.
    11-11-2014 09:20 PM
    I got the official charging dock and the magnetic USB charger early and tried it with my wife's Z1 compact and both of them work great, so I'm expecting the same results on my Z3. I won't be using a case with my Z3 btw.

might want to reconsider that no case idea.. Its a very fragile phone.
    11-12-2014 05:20 AM
35 12