05-21-2015 09:11 PM
119 1234 ...
tools
    I'm in the same boat. Going to wait and feel each one. Leaning towards the nexus 6 as long as the camera isn't horrible since I have 2 small kids.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-20-2014 08:06 AM
    Do you want a clean, "stock" version of Android that will be updated quickly to the latest version of Android or do you want TouchWiz that will take months and months and months to be updated to the latest version of Android?
    What do you mean by clean stock I've never really had any other phones other than samsung. I had a lg g2 and absolutely hated it so I switched back to the s5.
    10-20-2014 08:07 AM
    What do you mean by clean stock I've never really had any other phones other than samsung. I had a lg g2 and absolutely hated it so I switched back to the s5.
    Referring to stock android that isn't skinned by OEMs. Samsung has touchwiz, HTC with Sense, and I forget what LG calls their skin. Basically, does a phone with a stock build of Android that will get quick updates matter a whole lot to you? Hardware wise, the Note 4 is an excellent choice. Samsung finally stepped up their design with actual metal, the camera is excellent, and it has a great display. It also packs in a lot of features with the software package. However, most of us here aren't considering it since touchwiz is seen as bloaty and it tends to take a while for updates to be pushed out. Since you're already used to Samsung devices, I'm guessing touchwiz isn't an issue for you.

Sent from my LG G3
    10-20-2014 09:18 AM
    You should just try it to see how you like stock Android, it will be a different experience. Just use it and make up your mind before the last day you have to return it. Coming from the Note series, stock Android may feel lacking to you since it's cleaner and lack some features, such as multiwindows (which Google is supposed to be working on). The Samsung's status bar quick toggles are much more useful than stock Android quick toggles as well because it have may more things you can toggle, however you can use third party software on the Nexus to compensate this. Also if the S-Pen is something vital that you use everyday, I recommend sticking with the Note 4.

One thing you will notice with stock Android though is it's going to be a lot smoother, even despite how powerful the Note 4 is.
    10-20-2014 09:52 AM
    Samsung runs TouchWiz, which is basically Samsung's version of Android.

Samsung phones are feature rich, but they also typically don't perform as smoothly as a clean version of Android that you will find on Nexus or Motorola phones. Samsung phones also take a very, very long time to receive updates because Samsung has to add their coding to the Android base software. Basically, you'll be running an old version of Android for several months after the newest version of Android is announced and installed on other phones. Personally, I refuse to touch Samsung phones because of TouchWiz.
    10-20-2014 09:55 AM
    Touchwiz takes up a lot of your phones memory space.... Do a quick search on the amount of free space on your phone...... Typically a Nexus device will use up a lot less of the memory on your phone.... Fewer programs running and USUALLY stock android on a Nexus device is a lot smoother and won't lag like a phone with a "Skin" like Touchwiz overlaid on top......

Still comes down to personal preference.. My first Android phone was stock Nexus One so I just like stock android better... I had the GS3 and I rooted it to remove touchwiz, bloat and go back to a stock android experience like I was use to and preferred... but there were a few things here and there that made Touchwiz okay... but wasn't worth keeping (To me)
    10-20-2014 10:00 AM
    Touchwiz takes up a lot of your phones memory space.... Do a quick search on the amount of free space on your phone...... Typically a Nexus device will use up a lot less of the memory on your phone.... Fewer programs running and USUALLY stock android on a Nexus device is a lot smoother and won't lag like a phone with a "Skin" like Touchwiz overlaid on top......

Still comes down to personal preference.. My first Android phone was stock Nexus One so I just like stock android better... I had the GS3 and I rooted it to remove touchwiz, bloat and go back to a stock android experience like I was use to and preferred... but there were a few things here and there that made Touchwiz okay... but wasn't worth keeping (To me)
    Umm when I had a 32gb nexus 5 it had around 24gb free and my note 3 has around 22-23. Note 4 has about 22?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-20-2014 10:21 AM
    Umm when I had a 32gb nexus 5 it had around 24gb free and my note 3 has around 22-23. Note 4 has about 22?

Yeah it is true that Android is getting a little big now, especially with ART mode because the apps are bigger. Still not comparable to LG firmware.
    10-20-2014 10:26 AM

Maybe a lot has changed..... I just looked it up and I can't actually find anything on the Note 3 or 4 right now... The last one I found was the Nexus 5 vs the Galaxy S4.... and they did it on the 16 gig versions.... The Nexus 5 has 12 gig free and the S4 only had 8 gig free.... but I am going to guess that isn't Kit Kat since it's from late 2013........

Revealed: The storage 16GB mobile phones REALLY come with - and Samsung offers just HALF of its advertised space | Daily Mail Online
    10-20-2014 10:35 AM
    Maybe a lot has changed..... I just looked it up and I can't actually find anything on the Note 3 or 4 right now... The last one I found was the Nexus 5 vs the Galaxy S4.... and they did it on the 16 gig versions.... The Nexus 5 has 12 gig free and the S4 only had 8 gig free.... but I am going to guess that isn't Kit Kat since it's from late 2013........

Revealed: The storage 16GB mobile phones REALLY come with - and Samsung offers just HALF of its advertised space | Daily Mail Online
    Samsung has done some stuff to free up space with the note series at least

10-20-2014 10:37 AM
    Samsung has done some stuff to free up space with the note series at least

I know 4.4 uses less overall space.... from what I can find and read looks like Touchwiz takes up about 2 gig more/extra vs stock android... Not as dramatic as it was before.....
    10-20-2014 10:43 AM
    I owned the Note 3 and I used the stylus maybe 6 times and 4 of those were in the first couple of days and then the novelty wore off. I never multi-screened because I never needed it or thought about it. I did like the screen and the size. I will be getting the N6 for these reasons. But again it is personal preference. Always get what makes YOU happy. Never base it on what makes others happy. I am getting the N6 based on what makes me happy.
    dankev and ollihandro like this.
    10-20-2014 11:39 AM
    I owned the Note 3 and I used the stylus maybe 6 times and 4 of those were in the first couple of days and then the novelty wore off. I never multi-screened because I never needed it or thought about it. I did like the screen and the size. I will be getting the N6 for these reasons. But again it is personal preference. Always get what makes YOU happy. Never base it on what makes others happy. I am getting the N6 based on what makes me happy.
    I like the nexus 6 but camera is shying me away since Motorola has been known to sure Crappy cameras. I have a out 7 days to return my note 4 so I'll decide soon

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    10-20-2014 11:55 AM
    I know 4.4 uses less overall space.... from what I can find and read looks like Touchwiz takes up about 2 gig more/extra vs stock android... Not as dramatic as it was before.....
    its not 2 GB extra space. They take about 3.5 gb extra space
    10-20-2014 01:12 PM
    Really debating on which phone to get. The nexus 6 or note 4 what do you all think I should do?
    Wait for the Nexus 6 to be released and physically try both in store and decide on the device that fits/feels better to use. Bother excellent devices and should not disappoint. Let us know what you decide on going with.
    10-20-2014 01:47 PM

It's a matter of perspective. Though imho, 1-2GB lost is not insubstantial (though, of course, I envy the Note series' allowance of Micro-SD). The big part, though, isn't the loss of a little storage, but the potential for lag / sluggishness under the additional processor load those additional running processes apply. I have yet to experience a moment of lag in the (almost) year I've had my Nexus 5.
    10-20-2014 01:54 PM
    I'm in the same situation, Note 4 or Nexus 6. I really hope the camera isn't too bad.
    Only time will tell.
    10-20-2014 02:12 PM
    I've been using my N5 to run media through my xbox1, roku3, & chromecast (total overkill, i know, but was curious on the roku). Solves for everything. volume control & on/off is all controlled by voice through xbox1. Voice control & streaming media is gaining momentum. Just something to consider if you are looking to invest in new tech.
    I'm totally with you on XBox One. Kinect voice control is the greatest. I broke down and replaced my OTA antenna with a $3/ month HD DTA from Comcast, since I already get local channels as part of my internet bundle. With Oneguide and Kinect support it's really fantastic.
    10-20-2014 03:28 PM
    I'm in the same situation, Note 4 or Nexus 6. I really hope the camera isn't too bad.
    Only time will tell.
    I am hoping for the same. The Nexus 6 with a pretty good camera. Since this over the note 4 because of the 64 bit processor. Then maybe next year depending on how I like the phone I can always try the Note 5 that running a 64 bit processor. I feel the Nexus 6 support will last longer than the note 4 support will.
    10-20-2014 07:28 PM
    Nexus 6 Compared to the Galaxy Note 4 in New Hands-On Video | TechnoBuffalo

Only thing they get totally wrong and why I think God I don't live near the UK so I can avoid this place is they said the nexus 6 has a lcd display when it has an amoled screen

10-20-2014 07:31 PM
    Google shouldn't put a crap camera in a $650-$700 phone. Not saying they wouldn't, since I don't think they're realistically trying to go head to head with the big boys. Nexus users seem to be willing to grab their ankles on a few short comings for the stock android experience, so I wouldn't put it past them. The Note 4 camera is great in normal light, not so hot in lower light (pictures tend to come out very warm/yellow).
    10-20-2014 07:34 PM
    Everyone knows how bad of a camera the nexus 5 had ....now read this and see if you think a good camera sensor can do in a nexus 6

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...amples-540858/

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    10-20-2014 07:44 PM
    Actually it appears that Google is actually attempting to outdue the big boys with the Nexus 6... They know Mots camera software is not up to snuff so I bet they invest in some software development to take advantage of the camera hardware.
    10-20-2014 11:14 PM
    Hah, I noticed that too, said the Nexus 6 has an LCD screen.

But it was a very brief video, only very barely touched the surface of the phone. Good to see a size comparison between the two though. Nexus 6 is noticeably bigger than the Note 4. Particularly the width.
    10-20-2014 11:32 PM
    Actually it appears that Google is actually attempting to outdue the big boys with the Nexus 6... They know Mots camera software is not up to snuff so I bet they invest in some software development to take advantage of the camera hardware.
    hopefully. I wish the reviews would start coming out already so we could stop speculating and just know!
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    10-21-2014 04:18 AM
119 1234 ...