Google Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Debating

Do you want a clean, "stock" version of Android that will be updated quickly to the latest version of Android or do you want TouchWiz that will take months and months and months to be updated to the latest version of Android?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Considering this is the Nexus 6 forum.... I'd have to say get a Nexus 6...... but personal preference always wins out...

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Really debating on which phone to get. The nexus 6 or note 4 what do you all think I should do?

Between those two, I'd get the Nexus 6 hands down. I'm sure the Note 4 will be an excellent, possibly superior to the Nexus, piece of hardware. However, I have never liked TouchWiz. Every Samsung phone I've owned has been sold within a month or two because I can't stand the skin. Plus updates will be much slower on the Note than the Nexus.

I'm personally torn between the iPhone 6+ and the Nexus 6. I've tried the iPhone in the past and had two major complaints, the OS looked outdated and the screens were too small. iOS 7 fixed my complaints about the design of the OS and the iPhone 6 and 6+ address the screen size issue.

moc cock 8

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the same boat. Going to wait and feel each one. Leaning towards the nexus 6 as long as the camera isn't horrible since I have 2 small kids.

tadowen311

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Do you want a clean, "stock" version of Android that will be updated quickly to the latest version of Android or do you want TouchWiz that will take months and months and months to be updated to the latest version of Android?

What do you mean by clean stock I've never really had any other phones other than samsung. I had a lg g2 and absolutely hated it so I switched back to the s5.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by clean stock I've never really had any other phones other than samsung. I had a lg g2 and absolutely hated it so I switched back to the s5.

Referring to stock android that isn't skinned by OEMs. Samsung has touchwiz, HTC with Sense, and I forget what LG calls their skin. Basically, does a phone with a stock build of Android that will get quick updates matter a whole lot to you? Hardware wise, the Note 4 is an excellent choice. Samsung finally stepped up their design with actual metal, the camera is excellent, and it has a great display. It also packs in a lot of features with the software package. However, most of us here aren't considering it since touchwiz is seen as bloaty and it tends to take a while for updates to be pushed out. Since you're already used to Samsung devices, I'm guessing touchwiz isn't an issue for you.

Sent from my LG G3

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You should just try it to see how you like stock Android, it will be a different experience. Just use it and make up your mind before the last day you have to return it. Coming from the Note series, stock Android may feel lacking to you since it's cleaner and lack some features, such as multiwindows (which Google is supposed to be working on). The Samsung's status bar quick toggles are much more useful than stock Android quick toggles as well because it have may more things you can toggle, however you can use third party software on the Nexus to compensate this. Also if the S-Pen is something vital that you use everyday, I recommend sticking with the Note 4.

One thing you will notice with stock Android though is it's going to be a lot smoother, even despite how powerful the Note 4 is.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Samsung runs TouchWiz, which is basically Samsung's version of Android.

Samsung phones are feature rich, but they also typically don't perform as smoothly as a clean version of Android that you will find on Nexus or Motorola phones. Samsung phones also take a very, very long time to receive updates because Samsung has to add their coding to the Android base software. Basically, you'll be running an old version of Android for several months after the newest version of Android is announced and installed on other phones. Personally, I refuse to touch Samsung phones because of TouchWiz.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Touchwiz takes up a lot of your phones memory space.... Do a quick search on the amount of free space on your phone...... Typically a Nexus device will use up a lot less of the memory on your phone.... Fewer programs running and USUALLY stock android on a Nexus device is a lot smoother and won't lag like a phone with a "Skin" like Touchwiz overlaid on top......

Still comes down to personal preference.. My first Android phone was stock Nexus One so I just like stock android better... I had the GS3 and I rooted it to remove touchwiz, bloat and go back to a stock android experience like I was use to and preferred... but there were a few things here and there that made Touchwiz okay... but wasn't worth keeping (To me)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Touchwiz takes up a lot of your phones memory space.... Do a quick search on the amount of free space on your phone...... Typically a Nexus device will use up a lot less of the memory on your phone.... Fewer programs running and USUALLY stock android on a Nexus device is a lot smoother and won't lag like a phone with a "Skin" like Touchwiz overlaid on top......

Still comes down to personal preference.. My first Android phone was stock Nexus One so I just like stock android better... I had the GS3 and I rooted it to remove touchwiz, bloat and go back to a stock android experience like I was use to and preferred... but there were a few things here and there that made Touchwiz okay... but wasn't worth keeping (To me)
Umm when I had a 32gb nexus 5 it had around 24gb free and my note 3 has around 22-23. Note 4 has about 22?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Umm when I had a 32gb nexus 5 it had around 24gb free and my note 3 has around 22-23. Note 4 has about 22?

Yeah it is true that Android is getting a little big now, especially with ART mode because the apps are bigger. Still not comparable to LG firmware.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Maybe a lot has changed..... I just looked it up and I can't actually find anything on the Note 3 or 4 right now... The last one I found was the Nexus 5 vs the Galaxy S4.... and they did it on the 16 gig versions.... The Nexus 5 has 12 gig free and the S4 only had 8 gig free.... but I am going to guess that isn't Kit Kat since it's from late 2013........

Revealed: The storage 16GB mobile phones REALLY come with - and Samsung offers just HALF of its advertised space | Daily Mail Online

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Maybe a lot has changed..... I just looked it up and I can't actually find anything on the Note 3 or 4 right now... The last one I found was the Nexus 5 vs the Galaxy S4.... and they did it on the 16 gig versions.... The Nexus 5 has 12 gig free and the S4 only had 8 gig free.... but I am going to guess that isn't Kit Kat since it's from late 2013........

Revealed: The storage 16GB mobile phones REALLY come with - and Samsung offers just HALF of its advertised space | Daily Mail Online
Samsung has done some stuff to free up space with the note series at least

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Samsung has done some stuff to free up space with the note series at least

I know 4.4 uses less overall space.... from what I can find and read looks like Touchwiz takes up about 2 gig more/extra vs stock android... Not as dramatic as it was before.....

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I owned the Note 3 and I used the stylus maybe 6 times and 4 of those were in the first couple of days and then the novelty wore off. I never multi-screened because I never needed it or thought about it. I did like the screen and the size. I will be getting the N6 for these reasons. But again it is personal preference. Always get what makes YOU happy. Never base it on what makes others happy. I am getting the N6 based on what makes me happy.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I owned the Note 3 and I used the stylus maybe 6 times and 4 of those were in the first couple of days and then the novelty wore off. I never multi-screened because I never needed it or thought about it. I did like the screen and the size. I will be getting the N6 for these reasons. But again it is personal preference. Always get what makes YOU happy. Never base it on what makes others happy. I am getting the N6 based on what makes me happy.
I like the nexus 6 but camera is shying me away since Motorola has been known to sure Crappy cameras. I have a out 7 days to return my note 4 so I'll decide soon

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Really debating on which phone to get. The nexus 6 or note 4 what do you all think I should do?

Wait for the Nexus 6 to be released and physically try both in store and decide on the device that fits/feels better to use. Bother excellent devices and should not disappoint. Let us know what you decide on going with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463