Google Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: No removeable battery is a deal-breaker

I have a note 3 but I choose to use a power pack because it charges more than my phone.

Given that the removable battery on your Samsung Note 3 does not bother you, I would predict that a removable battery on a Nexus 6 would not bother you either.

You still have the option to use an external power pack if you want, and people who prefer a removable battery can swap it out if they want to. It's good to give people more choices.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

With a rated output at 1A, this would charge the device but, assuming it prefers a larger draw like other Nexus devices, not terribly fast. There are other similar models that provide 2A+.

Well I was just giving the smallest example I could find. I got a larger, and faster one than that.

Posted via Android Central App

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Given that the removable battery on your Samsung Note 3 does not bother you, I would predict that a removable battery on a Nexus 6 would not bother you either.

You still have the option to use an external power pack if you want, and people who prefer a removable battery can swap it out if they want to. It's good to give people more choices.

Sure choices are great. But I don't think you should completely dismiss a phone over a removable battery. Especially when there's other choices to fix it.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Sure choices are great. But I don't think you should completely dismiss a phone over a removable battery. Especially when there's other choices to fix it.

We agree that choices are great. Can we also agree that the lack of choice is not so great?

Whether people want to dismiss a phone over a particular feature (or lack thereof) is up to them. We can certainly offer alternatives, but they are free to reject those as well.

Put it this way. I see plenty of forum posts where people complain about non-removable batteries being a dealbreaker. I don't see any posts where people complain about removable batteries to a point where they won't buy a phone.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site

This is the fine print on the "Turbo Charger"

** Battery must be substantially depleted; charging rate slows as charging progresses.

first off what is "Substantially depleted" and from reading more on it they say if you are at say 50% the turbo charging feature doesn't kick in and it charges at normal rate..... If you have to wait for your battery to be below say 10% for the turbo charging feature to kick in that would kind of stink..

It's pretty fast when the battery is below 50% and supper fast when battery is below 20-30%. Doesn't need to be 10%

Posted via the Android Central App

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does the Dev. Edition Note 4 Change Anyones Thoughts?

No TW on the nexus, wasn't the idea. Point of the thread was running a custom TW Rom on the Note. I like the idea of having an SD card with the note, unfortunately you lose the wireless charging of the nexus.

Hunh. Somehow I misread this: "So a custom Touchwiz Rom over a stock android on the Nexus 6?" I thought "over" meant rooting and loading TouchWiz on top of stock Android on the Nexus 6. Ah, the flexibility of English!

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I used to feel exactly like this, but here's why I will have a Nexus 6 or any phone that I get next will have an internal battery...

My phone was stolen by a frustrated student. I was able to immediately ping it and lock it and see that it was still in the school. I set it to ring to locate it. Seconds later, it was not able to be located. The crook popped the battery door and the battery out.

Now, a sealed battery is no failsafe, but with a locked screen and no way to turn it off quickly, I might not have had to get an insurance replacement for $200 and a new SD card for $100.

Expensive lesson.

I will always vote for the external charger over a swappable battery from now on.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Put it this way. I see plenty of forum posts where people complain about non-removable batteries being a dealbreaker. I don't see any posts where people complain about removable batteries to a point where they won't buy a phone.

The only real reason I'd want a replaceable battery is to replace the original when it's gone bad - otherwise I'd rather just carry a usb battery pack towards that end. There are a number of pitfalls to a phone with a replaceable battery: the internals of the phone are more susceptible to wear and damage with repeated changes; the replaceable batteries are not always of the same caliber as a 'permanent' battery, so have lesser performance / fewer cycles; the phone is more susceptible to moisture damage (even if a phone is 'waterproof' with a door for the battery, if that door loosens or any type of 'o' ring begins to fail....).

But everyone has their right to their own dealbreakers, as they're the ones who have to decide what phone is for them. For me, I will never buy a phone that has a built-in wafflemaker.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Hunh. Somehow I misread this: "So a custom Touchwiz Rom over a stock android on the Nexus 6?" I thought "over" meant rooting and loading TouchWiz on top of stock Android on the Nexus 6. Ah, the flexibility of English!

Yeah, that's my bad. Should have worded it different. My significant other did my English homework. Lol

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

No it will not change my mind. The thing I like about this new type of Nexus that started with the Nexus 5 of last year is that there is no different carrier versions of a ROM anymore, there is only one. One ROM will work across both the international & U.S. versions. If this continues going forward its going to be pretty hard to pull me away from the Nexus brand.

will this apply to the Verizon version of Nexus 6?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
which phone has better screen for watching 1440p videos? Nexut 6 or Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition?

which phone has better screen for watching 1440p videos?
Nexut 6 or Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: which phone has better screen for watching 1440p videos? Nexut 6 or Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edit

The note 4 since the PPi is higher if you care about that . Honestly they are both great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

This also had the added luxury of wireless charging. So you can keep topping it off throughout the day at work without having to plug it in, or at home for the same reason. Just a thought.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site

will this apply to the Verizon version of Nexus 6?

There is no Verizon version. There are only 2 versions, an international version and a U.S. version. The phone should be the same across all U.S. carriers unless Google let Verizon control the devices it will sell online & through brick & mortar stores which I highly doubt.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: which phone has better screen for watching 1440p videos? Nexut 6 or Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edit

I think that there has to be a point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I think both will look awesome and I probably won't be able to tell the difference as it will be inperceptable to me...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

No, because the developer devices won't have near the amount of people buy them because they will need to be bought outright. Not to mention developer devices don't seem to get as much love on verizon. So a phone that is on every carrier>>> a "developer" edition on one carrier is why the nexus wins out in my book. Not to mention updates for the nexus come from google and you are not waiting around on samsung to work everything into their touchwiz UI.

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a GS4 and was going to go with the Note 4 until I dove more into the Nexus.

I've never quite been bothered by the TouchWiz since I use a launcher. I've never used a Google device either. Will using a launcher water that "experience" down?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The note 4 since the PPi is higher if you care about that . Honestly they are both great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PPI being higher is really only an effective benefit if you will perceive the difference. If they built a 2.9" 1440x2560 display you'd top 1000ppi, but you wouldn't want to watch a movie on it... At the size display of these phablets, it won't be a noticeable difference - at least not as much as the larger (0.3" is noticeable) display of the Nexus, which gives it an edge.

Of course, the factors that will make the biggest difference will likely be the quality and refresh rate of the AMOLED panels used as well as the speaker quality - we'll have to wait a little longer to see how those compare.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The only real reason I'd want a replaceable battery is to replace the original when it's gone bad

This would be my only reason for wanting a removable battery (or easily removable.) I did the replacement battery thing when I had the GS3 and some batteries lasted longer than others... I then tried the USB battery pack and I just got tired of trying to keep up with the replacements or battery pack.. I have a USB charger in the car.... Charger at my desk at work and two at home....

I've just gotten use to making sure I throw it on the charger at least 2 hours before I leave work... at home I throw it on the wireless charging mat right when I get home and any time I go to take a shower or cook dinner... (Why I have two wireless charging mats at home.. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom) on long car rides I plug it up even when the battery is at 100% so when I get to my destination I am at least taking off with the battery at or near 100% charged.....

But not everyone works at a desk all day or travels by car.... So you have to have other options to get that little boost when you need it... If you are going to carry a spare or two batteries around with you having a battery pack to plug it up shouldn't be that much of a major difference (outside of it attached via a cable)