Google Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
How does the N4 offer better privacy?

by NOT routing all your activities through google apps and services.

each time you utter "okay google", you are sending your search habit, location, activity to google.
each time you bring up a dialer and dial a number or a contact, google made a background search and your info is transmitted to google
each time you use all encompassing google apps and services, your information is sent to google.

Note 4 offers better privacy by simply removing or replacing those apps, and offers alternative apps you can use.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does the Dev. Edition Note 4 Change Anyones Thoughts?

There is no Verizon version. There are only 2 versions, an international version and a U.S. version. The phone should be the same across all U.S. carriers unless Google let Verizon control the devices it will sell online & through brick & mortar stores which I highly doubt.

Same hw model for all carriers doesn't mean same phone. They are all different sky's and can have different firmware, locked boot loaders, locked firmware etc, all that can be done in software. As well as different update policies.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
by NOT routing all your activities through google apps and services.

each time you utter "okay google", you are sending your search habit, location, activity to google.
each time you bring up a dialer and dial a number or a contact, google made a background search and your info is transmitted to google
each time you use all encompassing google apps and services, your information is sent to google.

Note 4 offers better privacy by simply removing or replacing those apps, and offers alternative apps you can use.

You can completely disable those features on any Nexus phone, just like you can on any Samsung phone. The only Google app you can't properly use with location and search history disabled is Google Now.

These things all exist and are on by default with the Note 4 so don't act like the Note 4 is some super private device. There is no difference between the Nexus, Note, G3, M8, or any other Android phone regarding the things you are talking about. They exist on all of them and can be disabled on all of them.

Your problem is with Google apps, not the phone. Guess what, most people use Google apps on their Note 4 too, even if you don't. The only app not available to other phones is the dialer, but its predictions can also be disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Does the Dev. Edition Note 4 Change Anyones Thoughts?

Same hw model for all carriers doesn't mean same phone. They are all different sky's and can have different firmware, locked boot loaders, locked firmware etc, all that can be done in software. As well as different update policies.

As of right now I can take my Nexus 5 and jump between Sprint, AT&T & T-Mobile with no issues & I expect the Nexus 6 to be the same

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Here's a screenshot from my Nexus 4 showing the dialer stuff can be disabled.

Attachments

• 245.jpg
    245.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 103

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have the note 4 but considering the nexus 6?

Bec I am...

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

I'm considering the iPhone 6 plus and nexus 6. iPhone in the mix just because I never had to deal with t-mobile should I have an issue with my phone and deal with Apple directly which is enough of a reason to go back to Apple. This also might be because of my new iPad. Also like the nexus 6 idea so idk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: No removeable battery is a deal-breaker

My phone was stolen by a frustrated student. I was able to immediately ping it and lock it and see that it was still in the school. I set it to ring to locate it. Seconds later, it was not able to be located. The crook popped the battery door and the battery out.
Where's My Droid app by Alienman. You send a text command to your phone an will silently take a photo using the front camera and/or the back camera. It will also silently send you gps coordinates of it's location. Along with other choices.

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
How does the Note 4 feel? What things are looking forward to in the Nexus 6 over your experience with the note 4?

Just curious as most of us are looking for this same comparison.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the iPhone 6 plus and nexus 6. iPhone in the mix just because I never had to deal with t-mobile should I have an issue with my phone and deal with Apple directly which is enough of a reason to go back to Apple. This also might be because of my new iPad. Also like the nexus 6 idea so idk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only reason I'd ever consider iPhone 6 plus is bec wife won't ever leave apple and I miss FaceTime and syncing our calendars. But other than that I can't stand it's closed ecosystem.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
How does the Note 4 feel? What things are looking forward to in the Nexus 6 over your experience with the note 4?

Just curious as most of us are looking for this same comparison.
The note 4 screen is amazing, but I came from a Note 3. But the nexus 6 will have a similar screen, at least resolution wise.

OTHERWISE it feels very similar to my Note 3, a bit faster and more attractive on outside. But that's it

I never use S pen so that's not a positive for me.

Touchwiz is much better on note 4 than the 3, but still not something I care for.

I wish the Nexus 6 had a SD card slot. That's the ONLY thing keeping me from jumping ship without hesitation from note 4 to Nexus 6

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 6 review—The “premium” price still comes with compromises | Ars Technica

now the reviews are out, read for yourself.
You can completely disable those features on any Nexus phone, just like you can on any Samsung phone. The only Google app you can't properly use with location and search history disabled is Google Now.

These things all exist and are on by default with the Note 4 so don't act like the Note 4 is some super private device. There is no difference between the Nexus, Note, G3, M8, or any other Android phone regarding the things you are talking about. They exist on all of them and can be disabled on all of them.

Your problem is with Google apps, not the phone. Guess what, most people use Google apps on their Note 4 too, even if you don't. The only app not available to other phones is the dialer, but its predictions can also be disabled.

bs, its never about what can be disabled, its about what is ON by DEFAULT.

ANd simply claiming that sammi is doing exactly the same thing as google, all without elaboration, is just lazy.

FunkyRasta

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
As much as I love Nexus line ( I own Nexus 5 ) when it comes to phablets... go with Note. There's nothing on Nexus 6 to make use of large screen, unless you're willing to flash custom ROMs. Then go with Nexus 6 and be happy ;) Staying on stock ? Then buy Note 4

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I used both for about a week. I finally choose the Nexus 6. The Note 4 is a better phone. Note has better screen, camera and the S pen. However the Nexus is bigger, and the Note actually felt small in hand compared to the Nexus. That plus the front facing speakers makes the Nexus better for multimedia stuff. Both are great phones, but the size of the Nexus won me over. Samsung must match the nexus size with the Note 5 IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles