Nexus 6 or Droid Turbo?

Seanathon98

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I am getting an upgrade soon and I need to decide which phone to get. I was set on the Nexus 6 until this beast was released. The battery is amazing on the Turbo, but the Nexus 6 should also have a great battery life. Both cameras should be good however; the Droid Turbo does not have OIS. The design on the Turbo looks dated and it uses capacitive buttons instead of on-screen buttons. Not to mention the lack of front facing speakers on the Turbo. I do like the Droid's size compared to the Nexus though. I am stuck between these two amazing phones, and I would love to hear you guys' feedback and opinions. Thanks! :)

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think I am going turbo. Better size. Better battery. I'll wait for reviews first. I couldn't care less about capacitive buttons.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like On Screen buttons and OIS are important factors for you. I would recommend the N6 in your case. I personally am a fan of capacitive buttons, and I don't want a phablet, so it's the Turbo for me. Enjoy!

Seanathon98

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! I don't know if I would decide against a phone just for capasitive buttons, as it is not the biggest factor in a phone for me. I have never had a phone with OIS, are the differences between a phone with and without OIS hugely noticable? It seems like a very nice feature to have, am I overconcerned about this feat

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! I don't know if I would decide against a phone just for capasitive buttons, as it is not the biggest factor in a phone for me. I have never had a phone with OIS, are the differences between a phone with and without OIS hugely noticable? It seems like a very nice feature to have, am I overconcerned about this feat
If the phone portion of the phone is important to you, IOS is kind of a big deal unless you have very steady hands and the software for image stabilization (assuming there is any) is worth a you-know-what. If you just want a phone, and have accepted in your heart that phones are not point and shoot cameras, then it sounds like you're down to overall size of phone and screen making your tie breaker decision. Even with poor eye sight, I can't bring myself to go to a 6 inch "phone". Amazon now sells 6 inch tablets. It's a personal thing, I know, and I don't fault anyone with a contrary opinion, but I'm never going larger than the foot print being offered by the Motorola Turbo (though I did consider the Z3v which is about 1/4 inch longer).

Most of all, be sure the phone you get is the one you want. Buyer's remorse sucks. Good Luck!

Seanathon98

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all of your help! One last thing, do carriers offer return periods? If I do not like the phone, could I return it within, let's say 30 days, and buy a different phone another time?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all of your help! One last thing, do carriers offer return periods? If I do not like the phone, could I return it within, let's say 30 days, and buy a different phone another time?

Every carrier is different, but I know Verizon only has a 14 day period. Check with your carrier

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer as well and I'm still going to go with the Nexus 6. I'm not a fan of the overall look of the Turbo and I'm curious about trying out a large screen smartphone anyway. Motorola doesn't really have a great history when it comes to camera quality, so I imagine both will be a wash (similar) in that respect despite OIS on the Nexus 6 (although, OIS does aid quite a bit in picture quality, so unless Motorola has some crazy good focus software the Nexus 6 may end up the better of the two). Plus, release-day updates are still better to me than "quick" updates. The Turbo may likely get updated quickly like the X, but it'll still be weeks or a few short months after official release.

At the end of the day, I'm opting to go with the Nexus 6 because I think it looks nicer, I want to try a large screen smartphone, has dual front facing speakers (coming from an HTC One M7 and M8 this feature alone is very important to me cause it makes a ton of difference in video/music/games), has OIS on the camera and the battery life should be fine regardless for a full day's worth of use, officially stock software with fastest updates and has the Moto features that I care about mostly.

Seanathon98

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer as well and I'm still going to go with the Nexus 6. I'm not a fan of the overall look of the Turbo and I'm curious about trying out a large screen smartphone anyway. Motorola doesn't really have a great history when it comes to camera quality, so I imagine both will be a wash (similar) in that respect despite OIS on the Nexus 6 (although, OIS does aid quite a bit in picture quality, so unless Motorola has some crazy good focus software the Nexus 6 may end up the better of the two). Plus, release-day updates are still better to me than "quick" updates. The Turbo may likely get updated quickly like the X, but it'll still be weeks or a few short months after official release.

At the end of the day, I'm opting to go with the Nexus 6 because I think it looks nicer, I want to try a large screen smartphone, has dual front facing speakers (coming from an HTC One M7 and M8 this feature alone is very important to me cause it makes a ton of difference in video/music/games), has OIS on the camera and the battery life should be fine regardless for a full day's worth of use, officially stock software with fastest updates and has the Moto features that I care about mostly.

I agree, the Nexus 6 looks much better in my opinion. The battery life on the Nexus 6 should be great like you said. I am coming from an iPhone 5, so both phones will seem big, but that is not a big deal to me because the iPhone 5's 4in screen is tiny compared to any modern Android phone today. I am on Verzion, so do you think that the Nexus 6 will still receive release-day updates? Or do you think that it will get delayed updates due to Verizon and carriers in general?

Seanathon98

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the Nexus 6 looks much better in my opinion. The battery life on the Nexus 6 should be great like you said. The Nexus 6 would be a better device for media consumption due to the larger screen and the duel facing stereo speakers. I am coming from an iPhone 5, so both phones will seem big, but that is not a big deal to me because the iPhone 5's 4in screen is tiny compared to any modern Android phone today haha. Do you think that the Verizon Nexus 6 will still receive release-day updates, or do you think that it will get delayed a week or two due to Verizon/carriers in general?

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the Nexus 6 looks much better in my opinion. The battery life on the Nexus 6 should be great like you said. The Nexus 6 would be a better device for media consumption due to the larger screen and the duel facing stereo speakers. I am coming from an iPhone 5, so both phones will seem big, but that is not a big deal to me because the iPhone 5's 4in screen is tiny compared to any modern Android phone today haha. Do you think that the Verizon Nexus 6 will still receive release-day updates, or do you think that it will get delayed a week or two due to Verizon/carriers in general?

No one knows for sure yet, but most seem to feel that since the Nexus 6 is 'one' smartphone that supports all carriers instead of Verizon/Sprint having their own specific model (ala Galaxy Nexus) that updates should not be in their control. Time will tell.

anthony81586

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, OP. I'm switching from an iPhone 5 and trying to decide what's best. I've had a galaxy s phone and a galaxy nexus before but I always come back to apple. Now I'm looking at the nexus and the turbo as the new iPhones don't appeal to me that much.

I love the concept of a nexus, the vanilla android is sweet. However, the Moto overlay seems very clean and I LOVE all the hand gestures and voice commands, not to mention the battery.

Size wise the nexus does make me nervous since it's such a big jump from an iPhone and spec wise the turbo and nexus seem pretty spot on each other (for the most part). I think for me, the battery is having me lean towards the turbo right now.

Finally, while I am not someone who "tinkers" with their phone, not having the option is kind of a bummer especially since I've been in iOS prison for so long.

Hopefully I have the patience to wait for reviews to come out on both devices and hold them In person but if not I'll be getting the 64gb turbo tomorrow.

Final thought, maybe you should make a poll for which device and why and see what you come up with. I'd also suggest putting this thread on the nexus side as well just to keep all biased (or the illusions) out.

Edit: sorry for all the grammatical errors, I'm typing on my iPhone

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I am getting an upgrade soon and I need to decide which phone to get. I was set on the Nexus 6 until this beast was released. The battery is amazing on the Turbo, but the Nexus 6 should also have a great battery life. Both cameras should be good however; the Droid Turbo does not have OIS. The design on the Turbo looks dated and it uses capacitive buttons instead of on-screen buttons. Not to mention the lack of front facing speakers on the Turbo. I do like the Droid's size compared to the Nexus though. I am stuck between these two amazing phones, and I would love to hear you guys' feedback and opinions. Thanks! :)

If it was me, I'd get the Nexus.

I don't hate the Droid Turbo, but the lack of OIS and those cap-buttons lessen it's appeal to me. I'd rather deal with a larger phone than those two things.