11-03-2014 12:30 PM
32 12
tools
    Let me be clear, I despise Apple. I wouldn't own an iphoney if you gave me one on a silver platter with Scarlet Johansen thrown in for free (well, maybe, just maybe).

But son of a gun they keep turning out the best cameras in the biz. In good light the Samsungs can give them a run for their money but for straight 'out-of-the-box' consistent quality in good light, low light and flash they have no peer.

The Turbo comes in with 21 MP and.....meh. Mediocre at best. Does Apple have some special alchemy that is simply impossible to copy? Is there some entirely proprietary circuitry that others can't even come close to?

After all this time it's just bizarre to imagine that with their pathetic spec's (8mp IIRC) they are still leading the field by such a ridiculous margin.
    Masheen likes this.
    11-02-2014 06:17 AM
    Software and fine tuning? That's the best I can come up with. I'm pretty sure I read recently that their cameras are made by Sony, and yet Sony phones are not better shooters than Apple phones. Kind of a WTF thing, huh?
    11-02-2014 06:20 AM
    Apple is not concerned with the MP race. They have large pixels (1.5um) vs typically much smaller pixels (probably ~1.1um in Turbo) and better optics. Apple puts a focus on developing great cameras, because they realize people want great cameras. Moto doesn't seem to get this. No, it can't be a DSLR, but people's cell phones have replaced point n' shoot camera and are now people primary (often only) camera.

Moto needs better sensors:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...a-moto-x2.html
    and tools for better and faster focusing (laser focus, second camera [ie M8 or Project Tango], phase detection), better optics, and better back end processing.

Maybe with Lenovo's backing Moto will have the money to put together a great camera team...
    Masheen likes this.
    11-02-2014 07:21 AM
    I agree. Apple still leads the pack in the camera department. I love my Turbo and the camera in certain circumstances is very good but the iPhone 6's camera is overall better. Not to mention the iPhone is WAY FASTER in snapping a pic, and that matters.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2014 07:48 AM
    My needs in a phone are pretty simple: cell reception, battery life, and a camera. . . I was hoping the turbo might cover all of those items, but the poor camera might be the reason to consider returning it.
    11-02-2014 07:56 AM
    My needs in a phone are pretty simple: cell reception, battery life, and a camera. . . I was hoping the turbo might cover all of those items, but the poor camera might be the reason to consider returning it.
    I've been thinking the same thing. I think the camera is actually decent, is just so damn slow.

11-02-2014 08:01 AM
    Software plays a big part, big company like Apple and Samsung can sink in millions to develop.
    Premium1 and dmark44 like this.
    11-02-2014 08:32 AM
    After a certain point increasing the MP number does nothing for you unless you are cropping out sections or creating large prints or displays. My guess is the majority of people never see a full size view of a picture taken on their camera. Shutter speed, lens, software, etc are areas that need improving. One reason they go for huge numbers of pixels is when you reduce the picture to show on a smaller screen it hides some of the issues.
    11-02-2014 08:48 AM
    Software plays a big part, big company like Apple and Samsung can sink in millions to develop.
    And yert Samsung's cameras still lag behind Apple's in every area but good light pics. I mean this is not like reinventing the wheel. Can't other manufacturers just buy an iphone tear it down and just copy the internals of the iphone camera?

Sheesh
    11-02-2014 08:50 AM
    And yert Samsung's cameras still lag behind Apple's in every area but good light pics. I mean this is not like reinventing the wheel. Can't other manufacturers just buy an iphone tear it down and just copy the internals of the iphone camera?

Sheesh
    Haha. Don't see why not. Samsung seems to do a good job copying everything Apple does anyway. Lol.

dmark44 likes this.
    11-02-2014 09:50 AM
    Its pretty amazing to me. My gf has the iPhone 6+ and I have the turbo. 6+ has an excellent camera that is extremely fast and takes amazing pictures.
    11-02-2014 10:06 AM
    Let me be clear, I despise Apple. I wouldn't own an iphoney if you gave me one on a silver platter with Scarlet Johansen thrown in for free (well, maybe, just maybe).

But son of a gun they keep turning out the best cameras in the biz. In good light the Samsungs can give them a run for their money but for straight 'out-of-the-box' consistent quality in good light, low light and flash they have no peer.

The Turbo comes in with 21 MP and.....meh. Mediocre at best. Does Apple have some special alchemy that is simply impossible to copy? Is there some entirely proprietary circuitry that others can't even come close to?

After all this time it's just bizarre to imagine that with their pathetic spec's (8mp IIRC) they are still leading the field by such a ridiculous margin.
    Its not the cameras per say, it is the software, which moto severely lacks on. They all use very similar sensors, and often times the same sensors, it all comes down to the backend. Not sure why moto struggles so much with this.
    11-02-2014 10:24 AM
    Probably goes way back, 20+ years, to Apple and Adobe and Macromedia. Apple has focused on imaging and graphics since the first Macintosh in 1984. I've been using Macs for about 23 years now, daily, and for many years they were light years beyond Wintel stuff in the realm of imaging for consumer computing products. I saw a number of internet technology reviewers take the iPhone 6 to task against some of the other flagship cell phones and, while the results were mixed, I was pretty impressed how well it did for the apparent specs. That was pretty familiar, based on long experience with their computing products. Specs and real world performance can be different realms of experience.

Still, I took a hard look at the iPhones and purchased away from Apple for the first time in 23 years and went with the company which has given me superlative phone products for over 15 years, Motorola. For my work in heavy industrial, it's a perfect phone and its camera does just fine taking pictures and videos of machinery. So far, I haven't found the shutter actuation to be an issue but that's use-specific. I'm not taking spontaneous action photographs, in general. A half-second isn't that big of a deal in my use.
    11-02-2014 10:37 AM
    I've been thinking the same thing. I think the camera is actually decent, is just so damn slow.

Read yesterday that when HDR is on the camera captures immediately when you press screen... The delay is the HDR processing. So shoot away with confidence.

PS. I really like the camera so far!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    maverick96 likes this.
    11-02-2014 12:48 PM
    Read yesterday that when HDR is on the camera captures immediately when you press screen... The delay is the HDR processing. So shoot away with confidence.

Interesting. Thank you! Going to try that now. Hope they fix it for regular camera shots

11-02-2014 01:22 PM

Unfortunately this isn't true. Just tried it with multiple shots. No such luck.

11-02-2014 01:24 PM

Sheesh
    It's the post processing software that apple has that is much better than anyone else's right now. Hardware is not the issue as I understand.
    11-02-2014 01:29 PM
    I really think alot is the software too. You would think that would be fixable. On my HTC M8, it has a rather low mp count but if you check out a thread on XDA where people post pictures done mostly in fully manual mode, there are amazing results. Even just limiting ISO to no more than 400 and metering light at one of the brighter areas of your scene improves basic pictures 100x. That suggests a better auto mode or multiple semi-auto modes would make a big difference.
    11-02-2014 02:02 PM
    Unfortunately this isn't true. Just tried it with multiple shots. No such luck.

This was from a professional reviewer on a popular Web magazine. It's true on my Turbo, but I've got the special Unicorn Tears version.

11-02-2014 02:08 PM
    I don't hate Apple but one thing they've done right is photography. It's not the megapixels. That's a common stat that everyone throws around. It has to do with the density of the pixels as well as the size of the pixels. Fewer pixels can also lead to less noise, especially in low light situations. The glass has something to do with it too. The post processing software will give you a few changes as well.
    11-02-2014 03:04 PM
    My current phone is a Galaxy s3.
    My question is... Will the Droid Turbo's photos look as good or better than the ones I've been taking with my s3?
    If the answer is yes, then i will be happy as my pics have always been just fine.

If i want better photos, i will pull out my Canon S100 pocket camera or get out my Canon 70D and assorted L lenses.
    11-02-2014 03:48 PM
    My question is... Will the Droid Turbo's photos look as good or better than the ones I've been taking with my s3?
    If the answer is yes, then i will be happy as my pics have always been just fine.

If i want better photos, i will pull out my Canon S100 pocket camera or get out my Canon 70D and assorted L lenses.
    Better. The turbo is mediocre in 2014 for camera phones. I think its better than most 1 or 2 year old phones.
    11-02-2014 04:23 PM

My wife's best friend has the S3 and based on my early results with Turbo I would say a resounding yes. Even more so once we get Lollipop and Camera 2.0

11-02-2014 04:24 PM
    Best phone cameras IMO are hands-down the high-end Lumias,. I'm a professional photographer and what convinced me of this was the ability to shoot genuine DNG files. I threw some images from my short-lived Lumia Icon into Lightroom and could get a surprising amount from it. Easily blew away the iPhones and Galaxy phones I've had. I have a Turbo now but honestly don't really care what its camera does - that's what my camera cameras are for
    11-02-2014 05:08 PM
    Best phone cameras IMO are hands-down the high-end Lumias,. I'm a professional photographer and what convinced me of this was the ability to shoot genuine DNG files. I threw some images from my short-lived Lumia Icon into Lightroom and could get a surprising amount from it. Easily blew away the iPhones and Galaxy phones I've had. I have a Turbo now but honestly don't really care what its camera does - that's what my camera cameras are for
    I agree, I want to get the DROID turbo but I can't get myself to part with the camera on my Lumina icon.
    11-02-2014 07:13 PM
32 12