12-23-2014 03:33 AM
222 1234 ...
tools
    I passed on the Note 4 because the only thing I see that is better than the N6 is the screen. This coming from a current Note 2 user who luvs her phone.
    If the N6 camera is better than the Note 4 camera I'll be impressed...and extremely surprised.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-07-2014 10:29 PM
    If the N6 camera is better than the Note 4 camera I'll be impressed...and extremely surprised.
    With the new camera api's ...and nexus 6 able to take raw format pictures without loss to jpeg..... nexus 6 will have some really good camera apps coming out for it soon after launch....
    11-08-2014 12:20 AM
    With the new camera api's ...and nexus 6 able to take raw format pictures without loss to jpeg..... nexus 6 will have some really good camera apps coming out for it soon after launch....
    ^^ This. Of course, that's a function of Lollipop, so in all fairness, other phones will potentially see similar improvement in time. But the software has always been the speedbump in the Nexus' path to great (phone) photos.
    11-08-2014 12:23 AM
    Notice that it says what I see as better.
    11-08-2014 01:17 AM
    I think screen on Note 4 will be better but touchwiz can be a dealbreaker for some.
    I will be going Nexus 6 over the Note 4 but I can't say the Nexus 6 is any better or worse than note 4.
    I just happen to prefer stock android and faster updates.

I am actually in the same boat. I want the Nexus 6 but I have the 2014 Moto X and love it. With the Note 4 out of the question, I keep asking myself: Nexus 6 vs Moto X....

Just know that if you like the Note 4 and keep it, you didn't make a bad choice.
    11-08-2014 01:25 AM
    I'm going with the Note 4. Nexus phones are a little too stripped down for me. I love stock but also get bored fast.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thats how i felt with the nexus 5 i mean it was a decent phone but i did get bored pretty quicky
    11-08-2014 01:57 AM
    I'm also trying to make up my mind on this. To be honest, I'd have probably switched to Apple if they would only unlock their Bluetooth profiles and improve the voice call side of their devices. But as that's not on offer, Android it is. Options are the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Droid Turbo. Here's how I see it.

Droid Turbo; most convenient size; best ergonomics; best data entry and keyboarding; probably the most durable device. Color profiling is awful except in Chrome, where it's accurate; locked bootloader and root means if Verizon goes to crap during the life of the device, it's difficult to move to T-Mobile (no Band 12, only 4 and 2) and impossible to move to anyone else.

Nexus 6; works on any network; best software; OIS on camera; totally interoperable and configurable. Too big for one of my hands, or even both at times; too small a battery for the device.

Galaxy Note 4 developer; can be reconfigured to work on any network through root; best display; OIS on camera; SD card a nice bonus. Default keyboarding is terrible; TouchWiz is terrible (too glitchy; the Note 4's UI feels slower than my Galaxy S3); installing aftermarket UI components helps but doesn't totally fix the problem; no weather resistance.

Some questions in deciding which phone.

Is the Note 4 UI glitchy and laggy in practice, or just when Verizon's in-store demo is running on it?
    Can you get the stock Android swype keyboard from the Moto phones put on the Note 4 and working that well?
    Can someone with small hands (on the small end of a men's medium glove) get used to a phablet?
    Is Samsung's one-handed data entry keyboard offset just a gimmick in practice, or something that you get used to?
    What are the prospects of someone rooting the Droid Turbo?
    Are Verizon now locked back into unlimited for a couple years, or will they backtrack and force me to switch?

That pretty much covers it, I think.
    11-08-2014 09:24 AM
    There is another thread somewhere with folks talking about the decline of Samsung, I mentioned the bloated software that Samsung seems set on providing. That said, I played around with a mates Note 4, it certainly is a nice looking phone, feels solid, but for a "premium" phone I just dont get it.

I would go the N6 route personally, it might just be bare bones in the software department, but thats what I love about Android, its the perfect system to customize it for your needs (with out silly bloated software that no body uses).
    2 cents
    11-08-2014 12:22 PM
    I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!
    Most likely not. Samsung has always had better cameras than the nexus line and especially motorola cameras. Not sure how build quality isn't good, I played with a note 4 and it felt a million times better than old samsung phones. Seems like you just don't want the note, so I would return it, and if nothing else, there will be more great options coming out in the next few months if you do not like the nexus.
    11-08-2014 12:51 PM
    I'm also trying to make up my mind on this. To be honest, I'd have probably switched to Apple if they would only unlock their Bluetooth profiles and improve the voice call side of their devices. But as that's not on offer, Android it is. Options are the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Droid Turbo. Here's how I see it.

Droid Turbo; most convenient size; best ergonomics; best data entry and keyboarding; probably the most durable device. Color profiling is awful except in Chrome, where it's accurate; locked bootloader and root means if Verizon goes to crap during the life of the device, it's difficult to move to T-Mobile (no Band 12, only 4 and 2) and impossible to move to anyone else.

Nexus 6; works on any network; best software; OIS on camera; totally interoperable and configurable. Too big for one of my hands, or even both at times; too small a battery for the device.

Galaxy Note 4 developer; can be reconfigured to work on any network through root; best display; OIS on camera; SD card a nice bonus. Default keyboarding is terrible; TouchWiz is terrible (too glitchy; the Note 4's UI feels slower than my Galaxy S3); installing aftermarket UI components helps but doesn't totally fix the problem; no weather resistance.

Some questions in deciding which phone.

Is the Note 4 UI glitchy and laggy in practice, or just when Verizon's in-store demo is running on it?
    Can you get the stock Android swype keyboard from the Moto phones put on the Note 4 and working that well?
    Can someone with small hands (on the small end of a men's medium glove) get used to a phablet?
    Is Samsung's one-handed data entry keyboard offset just a gimmick in practice, or something that you get used to?
    What are the prospects of someone rooting the Droid Turbo?
    Are Verizon now locked back into unlimited for a couple years, or will they backtrack and force me to switch?

That pretty much covers it, I think.
    You don't need root and that to move to another carrier. Simply stick a gsm sim in and it will work, the turbo is gsm unlocked.
    11-08-2014 12:52 PM
    Yes, I'm aware of that for GSM and UMTS, but for the LTE bands, it's possible on the chipset and firmware used for the Samsung developer version to unlock additional LTE bands beyond the 4 and 13 enabled for Verizon. In other words, if VZ were to double down on throttling or something like that, simply root, enable 17, and switch to AT&T, or root, enable 12, and switch to T-Mobile.
    11-08-2014 02:42 PM
    I'd go for which software experience you prefer, nexus or touchwiz. That's the thing you're going to be dealing with everyday.
    11-08-2014 03:05 PM
    I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!
    I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.

Now, here is the strange part or at least my rationale for not going with the N6. With the Note 4, I will have a broader choice of wearable tech to go on my wrist. I am a watch wearer so, I am used to wearing something on my wrist. Although, I like the Galaxy Gear watches, I like the Android Wear watches as well. By getting the Note 4, would allow me to use the Galaxy Gear watches and Android Wear in case I want to go with the Galaxy Gear versions in the future. One thing that the Galaxy Gear watches have, is the ability to make and receive calls on the watch along with the texts. Also, when picture texts came through, they would open on the Galaxy Gear instead of the Android Wear that comes through as an attachment.

For me, I work in a Computer lab so, the stylus proves useful to me on occasion or when I need to write something down and I do not have paper to write it down. Btw, I hate writing on paper now, I would rather do things electronically. I know someone who has the Note series and will never leave it as she has everything integrated into that phone.

Have you tried Nova Launcher? I found that to be better than the Google Now launcher. Also, with the Nova Launcher, you can save your settings to an exterior storage place so, that when you buy another phone its all set up for you. Or, if you want to buy a tablet and have it all the same you can do that as well.

The most recent Android Central podcast talks about the N6 and the Note 4 and which they prefer and why. It was the podcast from yesterday. That further convinced me that the Note 4 was a better choice.

Also, keep in mind that if you on Verizon, they only allow one return and then you are stuck with the unit.
    11-08-2014 03:45 PM
    I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.

Now, here is the strange part or at least my rationale for not going with the N6. With the Note 4, I will have a broader choice of wearable tech to go on my wrist. I am a watch wearer so, I am used to wearing something on my wrist. Although, I like the Galaxy Gear watches, I like the Android Wear watches as well. By getting the Note 4, would allow me to use the Galaxy Gear watches and Android Wear in case I want to go with the Galaxy Gear versions in the future. One thing that the Galaxy Gear watches have, is the ability to make and receive calls on the watch along with the texts. Also, when picture texts came through, they would open on the Galaxy Gear instead of the Android Wear that comes through as an attachment.

For me, I work in a Computer lab so, the stylus proves useful to me on occasion or when I need to write something down and I do not have paper to write it down. Btw, I hate writing on paper now, I would rather do things electronically. I know someone who has the Note series and will never leave it as she has everything integrated into that phone.

Have you tried Nova Launcher? I found that to be better than the Google Now launcher. Also, with the Nova Launcher, you can save your settings to an exterior storage place so, that when you buy another phone its all set up for you. Or, if you want to buy a tablet and have it all the same you can do that as well.

The most recent Android Central podcast talks about the N6 and the Note 4 and which they prefer and why. It was the podcast from yesterday. That further convinced me that the Note 4 was a better choice.

Also, keep in mind that if you on Verizon, they only allow one return and then you are stuck with the unit.
    Also keep in mind if you're on vzw if note 4 doesn't get rooted very soon like before Lollipop it may never get root
    11-08-2014 04:23 PM
    I do believe that the Nexus 6 is going to be an amazing device. However after going back and forth between my iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4, I can confidently say that I returned the iPhone 6 Plus because the Note 4 is just better. At least for me. The S-pen just provides a different experience than any other phone on the market. And someone posted a thread with a picture comparison of the screen sizes between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 and after considering the amount of screen sacrificed due to the on screen buttons of the Nexus 6 the usable screen is bigger on the Note 4. Plus, a lot of the features from lollipop are already on the Note 4 plus a whole lot more. Now there is lag on the Note 4, but it's minimal. For what you get in return, its a non issue for me.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-08-2014 04:35 PM
    But the note will have access to that as soon as it is updated as well. so while the nexus may have an advantage at first, samsung will get those same apps once it receives Lollipop
    11-08-2014 07:40 PM
    wrong thread sorry
    11-08-2014 08:58 PM
    But the note will have access to that as soon as it is updated as well. so while the nexus may have an advantage at first, samsung will get those same apps once it receives Lollipop
    Do you really think so ? Open up the Samsung camera app and Change the iso ...they already have access to that and more and they never put that into the app ....you can if you turn off image stabilization etc ...the g3 won't allow you to change like any settings lol
    11-08-2014 09:08 PM
    I do believe that the Nexus 6 is going to be an amazing device. However after going back and forth between my iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4, I can confidently say that I returned the iPhone 6 Plus because the Note 4 is just better. At least for me. The S-pen just provides a different experience than any other phone on the market. And someone posted a thread with a picture comparison of the screen sizes between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 and after considering the amount of screen sacrificed due to the on screen buttons of the Nexus 6 the usable screen is bigger on the Note 4. Plus, a lot of the features from lollipop are already on the Note 4 plus a whole lot more. Now there is lag on the Note 4, but it's minimal. For what you get in return, its a non issue for me.

Except that the DPI on the Note 4 is so overinflated you don't get to use that screen the way you should. The iPhone 6 Plus shows more content on its smaller 5.5" screen than the Note 4 does with its larger 5.7" screen. I did comparisons between the Note 4 and the S5 when I had it and they both showed identical amounts of content, it was just blown up larger on the Note 4. Changing the text size is irrelevant as well because that won't do anything for GUI elements in apps and images on websites. The iPhone 6 Plus has a zoom feature that does the same thing, but at least it's optional; on the Note 4 you're stuck with it and that is a terrible use of such a large screen in my opinion.

If the Nexus 4, 5, and both 7's are any indication this won't be an issue with the Nexus 6 and it will give you more out of the screen than the Note 4 will even though the Nexus 6 has soft keys.
    11-08-2014 09:27 PM
    Except that the DPI on the Note 4 is so overinflated you don't get to use that screen the way you should. The iPhone 6 Plus shows more content on its smaller 5.5" screen than the Note 4 does with its larger 5.7" screen. I did comparisons between the Note 4 and the S5 when I had it and they both showed identical amounts of content, it was just blown up larger on the Note 4. Changing the text size is irrelevant as well because that won't do anything for GUI elements in apps and images on websites. The iPhone 6 Plus has a zoom feature that does the same thing, but at least it's optional; on the Note 4 you're stuck with it and that is a terrible use of such a large screen in my opinion.

If the Nexus 4, 5, and both 7's are any indication this won't be an issue with the Nexus 6 and it will give you more out of the screen than the Note 4 will even though the Nexus 6 has soft keys.
    You don't think that the UI is blown up on stock Android? I thought so when I had my Nexus 5. I thought the icons were a lot bigger than they should have been.

razortaz18 likes this.
    11-08-2014 09:29 PM
    You don't think that the UI is blown up on stock Android? I thought so when I had my Nexus 5. I thought the icons were a lot bigger than they should have been.

The Nexus 6 has a 5x5 grid out of the box, the Note 4 is still 4x4. It goes way deeper than the front end launcher UI as well; it is apparent in all apps, in the browser, etc. I used to think I was imagining it but once I put some time into doing hands on comparisons it amazed me how blown up everything is on the Note 4.
    11-08-2014 09:33 PM
    The Nexus 6 has a 5x5 grid out of the box, the Note 4 is still 4x4. It goes way deeper than the front end launcher UI as well; it is apparent in all apps, in the browser, etc. I used to think I was imagining it but once I put some time into doing hands on comparisons it amazed me how blown up everything is on the Note 4.
    Gotcha. I guess that makes sense. But things don't seem overly blown up to me on the Note 4. Actually it looks quite good to me.

11-08-2014 09:36 PM
    Nm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-08-2014 09:43 PM
    Gotcha. I guess that makes sense. But things don't seem overly blown up to me on the Note 4. Actually it looks quite good to me.

I guess a lot depends on what you're looking for. I personally like tablets because I get more content on my screen than I do with a phone and I can still read it or see it without zooming all over. With a phablet I would like the same thing, just appropriate to the screen size. I had a hard time accepting the proportions of the Note 4 when it wasn't giving me more content than the S5 I used to use was, I started asking, "what's the point?" I don't personally need larger content, I want more content and less zooming/scrolling to see said content.

If you're in the camp that doesn't care about more and wants everything larger so it's easier to read, the Note 4 is going to be perfect for you. That just isn't me, however. Also, judging by the popularity of the DPI adjustments made to Note series phones by those that root, I'd say I'm not alone in this.
    11-08-2014 09:44 PM
    I guess a lot depends on what you're looking for. I personally like tablets because I get more content on my screen than I do with a phone and I can still read it or see it without zooming all over. With a phablet I would like the same thing, just appropriate to the screen size. I had a hard time accepting the proportions of the Note 4 when it wasn't giving me more content than the S5 I used to use was, I started asking, "what's the point?" I don't personally need larger content, I want more content and less zooming/scrolling to see said content.

If you're in the camp that doesn't care about more and wants everything larger so it's easier to read, the Note 4 is going to be perfect for you. That just isn't me, however. Also, judging by the popularity of the DPI adjustments made to Note series phones by those that root, I'd say I'm not alone in this.
    It's probably why I like the screen. Things don't look overblown they look just right. I would probably have a more difficult time with smaller, but more content on the screen of the Nexus 6. But originally I was talking more of multitasking as far as using the space on the screen. I think that's a great use of the space to me. And the S-pen really augments that experience. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus devices are awesome. I have had all of them. With the exception of the very first one and now this one.

11-08-2014 09:55 PM
222 1234 ...