12-23-2014 03:33 AM
222 12345 ...
tools
    Saw this video that seems to sum up some of the S-pen features that make the Note 4 really cool.

GALAXY Note 4 - Enhanced S Pen Feature Roundup:

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    Connert likes this.
    11-08-2014 11:25 PM
    I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.
    Just out of curiosity, what did you miss from touchwiz? what kind of apps were you looking for to make it more like Touchwiz/Note 4?

I struggle with Touchwiz, there is some of it that I do really like, and parts I really don't like. A little love/hate relationship I guess....
    11-08-2014 11:30 PM

I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!
    I would go with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 will get more future Android OS updates than the Note 4. Also the Nexus 6 doesn't have manufacturer and carrier bloatware.
    11-08-2014 11:59 PM

I would go with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 will get more future Android OS updates than the Note 4. Also the Nexus 6 doesn't have manufacturer and carrier bloatware.
    So? Not everybody cares about getting android 5.0 or whatever ASAP. Samsung while slower then HTC does update their phones for a while. I think the Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket went from 2.3 to android 4.1.2? Some people might like the carrier or manufacture "bloatware". I like the Verizon app for your account and all of the Amazon apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-09-2014 01:01 AM
    Initial camera reactions appear to favor nexus 6 over note 4 but should have better idea after the 12th.. I have the note 2 but going with Nexus 6 because of bigger screen, no touchWiz, Motorola radio and build quality, and potentially better camera than note 4 (I never use the stylus)...
    11-09-2014 03:13 AM
    So? Not everybody cares about getting android 5.0 or whatever ASAP. Samsung while slower then HTC does update their phones for a while. I think the Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket went from 2.3 to android 4.1.2? Some people might like the carrier or manufacture "bloatware". I like the Verizon app for your account and all of the Amazon apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The OP asked for people's opinion and I gave him MINE. It is ultimately up to the OP what he wants. I really have no idea why you gave me your opinion.
    11-09-2014 03:26 AM
    With comparable size, specs and an equally premium design, the Nexus 6 wins because it is almost $200 cheaper off-contract than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Even on-contract, the Nexus 6 should prove to be the more affordable device. With the Nexus 6 you can the best of Android, the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update, continuous support from Google and a mighty future proofed device. If the camera and the S Pen are very important to you, then you should go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise we see no reason to recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Motorola and Google have managed to the Note 4 killer.
    11-09-2014 04:48 AM
    With comparable size, specs and an equally premium design, the Nexus 6 wins because it is almost $200 cheaper off-contract than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Even on-contract, the Nexus 6 should prove to be the more affordable device. With the Nexus 6 you can the best of Android, the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update, continuous support from Google and a mighty future proofed device. If the camera and the S Pen are very important to you, then you should go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise we see no reason to recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Motorola and Google have managed to the Note 4 killer.
    I agree with some of your points regarding the price and the latest versions of Android but there are more advantages to the Note 4 than just the S-pen. Like others have mentioned: removable battery, expandable storage, super AMOLED screen, fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, IR blaster, and of course, the S-pen. Again, I'm not saying that the Note 4 is definitively better than the Nexus 6. But there are more advantages than just the S-pen. And that's just considering hardware. I know there are people that don't like Touch Wiz and that's fine. But, you cannot deny that the Note 4 is probably the most feature packed phone on the planet.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-09-2014 07:15 AM
    Little late in this, and I must admit, I am a Samsung Fanboy.

With that said, the removable battery and 128gb sd card support on the Note 4 are huge.. No need to even mention the S Pen.

However, what is good for one user might not be good for another user, and they both be correct..
    Connert and WeAreAllUnique like this.
    11-09-2014 07:27 AM
    Those were just some of my concerns not all. I can live without the S pen, I can live without the removable battery and micro sd since 64gb is more then enough memory for me. I really like the idea of having updates straight from google and having the closest stock Lollipop android experience you can currently get. I'm just not sure if that will be enough to prefer the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 since camera quality and screen quality is important to me. Also knowing whether the Nexus 6 can outperform the Note 4 in benchmarks would also help my decision .
    Benchmarks the phone should be around the same ... Remember they do both have the same cpu,GPU, Ram and resolution. The only differences are size and software. Samsung's Touchwiz shouldn't bring it down much below the nexus 6 to matter imo

I was thinking of waiting out for the Nexus 6 but decided to get a note 4 instead (again). Don't love on screen buttons but for the right phone i'll deal with them, prefer removable battery and micro SD card slot but I feel the 64GB is fine for me and could live with the Camera and no S-Pen. But I do love the 16 MP Camera on the Note 4 with OIS, and the IR Blaster which i use quite a bit. I think the deciding factor for me was I wasn't going to wait till whenever Verzion decides to sell it and the Camera quality of the Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Most comparisons make the Droid Turbo screen inferior to the Note 4 but I havent noticed a difference that I could care about. Yeah it looked a bit worse then the Note 4 screen but I liked it enough to not matter. I suspect the Nexus 6 screen to be the same as the turbo but bigger
    11-09-2014 07:54 AM
    Lol the Nexus 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the LG G3 and whatever else are far from Note "killers". As somebody else mentioned there is other ways the Note 4 is superior which if your looking just at Hardware and not looking at Software the Note 4 is better. The Screen and Camera are better, the Note 4 has a Fingerprint scanner ( It works better then the S5 but not as good as the iPhone 6) , Heart Rate monitor, IR Blaster, UV monitor and the S-pen. Not everybody and i actually think the majority of Android users don't care about getting the latest Android update ASAP and i mean with the general population and not people just here. The Note 4 and Samsung devices in general are feature rich devices which some people might prefer. So don't make assumptions over price alone. I actually went with a Droid Turbo for a day and returned it based on the fact it was cheaper then the Note 4 and while it was a good phone i missed the S-pen , Micro SD card slot and found the speakers and camera superior on the note 4
    11-09-2014 08:02 AM
    The OP asked for people's opinion and I gave him MINE. It is ultimately up to the OP what he wants. I really have no idea why you gave me your opinion.
    Because this is a forum and giving my opinion based on yours .... and based off his OP it was more based off Screen and Camera decision then who gets faster updates
    11-09-2014 08:04 AM
    Last night I went out with some friends to celebrate a friends birthday and I found it really hard to get a good quality picture with the front facing camera. Seems like the note 4 camera doesn't do good in low light situations, will the nexus 6 suffer from the same problem? I also noticed that one of my friends with the iPhone 6 plus didn't have this issue.
    11-09-2014 11:06 AM
    Do you really think so ? Open up the Samsung camera app and Change the iso ...they already have access to that and more and they never put that into the app ....you can if you turn off image stabilization etc ...the g3 won't allow you to change like any settings lol
    What does that have to do with 3rd party apps and the new API's in Lollipop? Still doesn't allow you access to RAW images like the new lollipop APIs do.
    11-09-2014 11:08 AM
    Last night I went out with some friends to celebrate a friends birthday and I found it really hard to get a good quality picture with the front facing camera. Seems like the note 4 camera doesn't do good in low light situations, will the nexus 6 suffer from the same problem? I also noticed that one of my friends with the iPhone 6 plus didn't have this issue.
    No front facing camera is going to do well in low light..
    11-09-2014 11:09 AM
    Initial camera reactions appear to favor nexus 6 over note 4 but should have better idea after the 12th.. I have the note 2 but going with Nexus 6 because of bigger screen, no touchWiz, Motorola radio and build quality, and potentially better camera than note 4 (I never use the stylus)...
    What camera reactions? I have yet to see anything comparing the 2, and would like to see some if indeed that is true. Find it hard to believe a nexus, and a moto nexus at that, would outperform the samsung in camera tests. If it does, that would be great, but with moto and googles history with poor cameras, not getting my hopes up.
    11-09-2014 11:12 AM
    No front facing camera is going to do well in low light..
    That's true but the iPhone 6 plus my friend had seem to do a better job at taking pictures with the front facing camera. I also noticed that the front facing camera for the Note 4 lags while in low light situations unless you switch it to wide selfie mode.
    11-09-2014 11:20 AM
    Someone please tell me if i root the note 4 and delete bloat plus most of the google stuff like google + because i don't use it, will it make a big difference in terms of lag and battery life ??
    11-09-2014 11:26 AM
    Skip both of them & wait to see what comes out next year

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-09-2014 11:44 AM
    Someone please tell me if i root the note 4 and delete bloat plus most of the google stuff like google + because i don't use it, will it make a big difference in terms of lag and battery life ??
    You may get an answer in here, but might fare better in the Note 4 Forum where there's a much higher concentration of current users.
    BEARD GANG likes this.
    11-09-2014 11:50 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what did you miss from touchwiz? what kind of apps were you looking for to make it more like Touchwiz/Note 4?

I struggle with Touchwiz, there is some of it that I do really like, and parts I really don't like. A little love/hate relationship I guess....
    I added Swiftkey because the keyboard prediction was either not very good or had its issues. Google Hangouts pulls up email and phone numbers for everyone when you want to type the names into it to text and there is lag from that product so, I tried Go Pro and others but because my family uses Iphones, the messaging came through as an attachment all the time.

The default calendar, I did not care for so, I added Sunrise calendar.

Since it does not have a Power Saving mode, I installed battery savers that either started to eat through the battery or made the phone sluggish. I also like WatchOn so, I wanted to add that to the device because I missed using my phone as a remote control.

Those were some off the top of my head. The other too was wanting to add something like S Note or Action Memo and was trying to find that. I also liked the functionality of being able to write on pictures so, I wanted to add that one too. At that point, I was starting to create a mini Note 3/4 which was eating into my 32GB phone with no extra SD card.

I even moved all the music to the cloud as well as pictures and video to try and keep the storage space at a minimum which then drove up my data access as well.

I also found it to require more tinkering that I had to do with my Note 4. It was bringing back memories of my Samsung S3 battery performance.
    11-09-2014 12:54 PM
    You may get an answer in here, but might fare better in the Note 4 Forum where there's a much higher concentration of current users.
    Just watched some YouTube videos the lag is disgusting and shameful, back to the nexus 6 I go
    11-09-2014 12:56 PM
    You can disable pretty much any app including the carrier bloat. I disabled all the att bloat and my battery life is excellent although if I left it enabled I don't think it will make a difference. I don't see any lag and my Note 4 is much faster than my Nexus 5. If you are that concerned about Touchwiz lag then get a Nexus.
    11-09-2014 01:44 PM
    I'm due for an upgrade tomorrow. And am waiting for the nexus 6 to be available in store to check out however, it better have a damn good screen and camera. Those are important to me as well as battery life. Having played with the moto x and a nexus 5 I like the vanilla android experience. But coming from a note 1 and 2 I find them vanilla android to be similar to the iPhone experience. Crisp, clean, fluid.....yet kind of boring*.
    I will agree I don't use ever feature touchwiz has as some are currently gimmicky. I've gotten Crappy spens on both of my notes so i can honestly say i very rarely used it. The current versions are awesome though. I may still not use it but sometimes a quick note is great especially when you don't have a pen or paper handy.
    I can see the benefits of vanilla though. No bloat allows the clean experience without having to root. Fast updates and all. The design and build quality of the nexus 6 looks gorgeous if it is anything like the moto x. Yet the thing many commercial buyers are looking for are lacking on the vanilla android phone: battery and camera.

*without rooting. And the customization is similar across all android phones so that is a mute point.

11-09-2014 01:51 PM
    Skip both of them & wait to see what comes out next year

Maybe you should wait for the note 89. I heard it's an implant in your brain and you can do everything with your mind

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-09-2014 01:57 PM
222 12345 ...