Cant decide between the Nexus 6 or the Note 4.....

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I hate this word SUBJECTIVE, it's a excuse to dismiss the argument.

Note 4:

+ Screen
+ Camera
+ Removal Battery
+ MicroSD
+ S-Pen
- TouchWiz (Some people enjoy it, but I'm writing it down as a negative due to the fact you want to use stock Lollipop)

It's what I love about my Note 4 (+ Build Quality, I love the Aluminum & Pleather Cover combo) and honestly the only advantage nexus 6 has is obvious - Lollipop and it's ENOUGH for me to go out and buy it. LOL

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I hate this word SUBJECTIVE, it's a excuse to dismiss the argument.

It's what I love about my Note 4 (+ Build Quality, I love the Aluminum & Pleather Cover combo) and honestly the only advantage nexus 6 has is obvious - Lollipop and it's ENOUGH for me to go out and buy it. LOL

I feel the exact same way, the fact that the Nexus 6 will have Lollipop gives me enough of a reason to go buy it lol.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going with the Note 4. Nexus phones are a little too stripped down for me. I love stock but also get bored fast.

Posted via Android Central App

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 4 but it was too laggy and jerky. Especially for a flagship phone at a premium price. Return the unit and I wanted the Nexus 6. The wait time is too long for the N6 so I settled for the Droid Turbo 64. I probably grab an N6 n a couple of months when its easier to get my hands on one.

Droid Turbo 64GB

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I passed on the Note 4 because the only thing I see that is better than the N6 is the screen. This coming from a current Note 2 user who luvs her phone.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I passed on the Note 4 because the only thing I see that is better than the N6 is the screen. This coming from a current Note 2 user who luvs her phone.

If the N6 camera is better than the Note 4 camera I'll be impressed...and extremely surprised.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If the N6 camera is better than the Note 4 camera I'll be impressed...and extremely surprised.

With the new camera api's ...and nexus 6 able to take raw format pictures without loss to jpeg..... nexus 6 will have some really good camera apps coming out for it soon after launch....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With the new camera api's ...and nexus 6 able to take raw format pictures without loss to jpeg..... nexus 6 will have some really good camera apps coming out for it soon after launch....

^^ This. Of course, that's a function of Lollipop, so in all fairness, other phones will potentially see similar improvement in time. But the software has always been the speedbump in the Nexus' path to great (phone) photos.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I think screen on Note 4 will be better but touchwiz can be a dealbreaker for some.
I will be going Nexus 6 over the Note 4 but I can't say the Nexus 6 is any better or worse than note 4.
I just happen to prefer stock android and faster updates.

I am actually in the same boat. I want the Nexus 6 but I have the 2014 Moto X and love it. With the Note 4 out of the question, I keep asking myself: Nexus 6 vs Moto X....

Just know that if you like the Note 4 and keep it, you didn't make a bad choice.

Shorebreeze

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm also trying to make up my mind on this. To be honest, I'd have probably switched to Apple if they would only unlock their Bluetooth profiles and improve the voice call side of their devices. But as that's not on offer, Android it is. Options are the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Droid Turbo. Here's how I see it.

Droid Turbo; most convenient size; best ergonomics; best data entry and keyboarding; probably the most durable device. Color profiling is awful except in Chrome, where it's accurate; locked bootloader and root means if Verizon goes to crap during the life of the device, it's difficult to move to T-Mobile (no Band 12, only 4 and 2) and impossible to move to anyone else.

Nexus 6; works on any network; best software; OIS on camera; totally interoperable and configurable. Too big for one of my hands, or even both at times; too small a battery for the device.

Galaxy Note 4 developer; can be reconfigured to work on any network through root; best display; OIS on camera; SD card a nice bonus. Default keyboarding is terrible; TouchWiz is terrible (too glitchy; the Note 4's UI feels slower than my Galaxy S3); installing aftermarket UI components helps but doesn't totally fix the problem; no weather resistance.

Some questions in deciding which phone.

Is the Note 4 UI glitchy and laggy in practice, or just when Verizon's in-store demo is running on it?
Can you get the stock Android swype keyboard from the Moto phones put on the Note 4 and working that well?
Can someone with small hands (on the small end of a men's medium glove) get used to a phablet?
Is Samsung's one-handed data entry keyboard offset just a gimmick in practice, or something that you get used to?
What are the prospects of someone rooting the Droid Turbo?
Are Verizon now locked back into unlimited for a couple years, or will they backtrack and force me to switch?

That pretty much covers it, I think.

MunkiPlay

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
There is another thread somewhere with folks talking about the decline of Samsung, I mentioned the bloated software that Samsung seems set on providing. That said, I played around with a mates Note 4, it certainly is a nice looking phone, feels solid, but for a "premium" phone I just dont get it.

I would go the N6 route personally, it might just be bare bones in the software department, but thats what I love about Android, its the perfect system to customize it for your needs (with out silly bloated software that no body uses).
2 cents

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

Most likely not. Samsung has always had better cameras than the nexus line and especially motorola cameras. Not sure how build quality isn't good, I played with a note 4 and it felt a million times better than old samsung phones. Seems like you just don't want the note, so I would return it, and if nothing else, there will be more great options coming out in the next few months if you do not like the nexus.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm also trying to make up my mind on this. To be honest, I'd have probably switched to Apple if they would only unlock their Bluetooth profiles and improve the voice call side of their devices. But as that's not on offer, Android it is. Options are the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Droid Turbo. Here's how I see it.

Droid Turbo; most convenient size; best ergonomics; best data entry and keyboarding; probably the most durable device. Color profiling is awful except in Chrome, where it's accurate; locked bootloader and root means if Verizon goes to crap during the life of the device, it's difficult to move to T-Mobile (no Band 12, only 4 and 2) and impossible to move to anyone else.

Nexus 6; works on any network; best software; OIS on camera; totally interoperable and configurable. Too big for one of my hands, or even both at times; too small a battery for the device.

Galaxy Note 4 developer; can be reconfigured to work on any network through root; best display; OIS on camera; SD card a nice bonus. Default keyboarding is terrible; TouchWiz is terrible (too glitchy; the Note 4's UI feels slower than my Galaxy S3); installing aftermarket UI components helps but doesn't totally fix the problem; no weather resistance.

Some questions in deciding which phone.

Is the Note 4 UI glitchy and laggy in practice, or just when Verizon's in-store demo is running on it?
Can you get the stock Android swype keyboard from the Moto phones put on the Note 4 and working that well?
Can someone with small hands (on the small end of a men's medium glove) get used to a phablet?
Is Samsung's one-handed data entry keyboard offset just a gimmick in practice, or something that you get used to?
What are the prospects of someone rooting the Droid Turbo?
Are Verizon now locked back into unlimited for a couple years, or will they backtrack and force me to switch?

That pretty much covers it, I think.

You don't need root and that to move to another carrier. Simply stick a gsm sim in and it will work, the turbo is gsm unlocked.

Shorebreeze

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm aware of that for GSM and UMTS, but for the LTE bands, it's possible on the chipset and firmware used for the Samsung developer version to unlock additional LTE bands beyond the 4 and 13 enabled for Verizon. In other words, if VZ were to double down on throttling or something like that, simply root, enable 17, and switch to AT&T, or root, enable 12, and switch to T-Mobile.

izanaki

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for which software experience you prefer, nexus or touchwiz. That's the thing you're going to be dealing with everyday.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.

Now, here is the strange part or at least my rationale for not going with the N6. With the Note 4, I will have a broader choice of wearable tech to go on my wrist. I am a watch wearer so, I am used to wearing something on my wrist. Although, I like the Galaxy Gear watches, I like the Android Wear watches as well. By getting the Note 4, would allow me to use the Galaxy Gear watches and Android Wear in case I want to go with the Galaxy Gear versions in the future. One thing that the Galaxy Gear watches have, is the ability to make and receive calls on the watch along with the texts. Also, when picture texts came through, they would open on the Galaxy Gear instead of the Android Wear that comes through as an attachment.

For me, I work in a Computer lab so, the stylus proves useful to me on occasion or when I need to write something down and I do not have paper to write it down. Btw, I hate writing on paper now, I would rather do things electronically. I know someone who has the Note series and will never leave it as she has everything integrated into that phone.

Have you tried Nova Launcher? I found that to be better than the Google Now launcher. Also, with the Nova Launcher, you can save your settings to an exterior storage place so, that when you buy another phone its all set up for you. Or, if you want to buy a tablet and have it all the same you can do that as well.

The most recent Android Central podcast talks about the N6 and the Note 4 and which they prefer and why. It was the podcast from yesterday. That further convinced me that the Note 4 was a better choice.

Also, keep in mind that if you on Verizon, they only allow one return and then you are stuck with the unit.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.

Now, here is the strange part or at least my rationale for not going with the N6. With the Note 4, I will have a broader choice of wearable tech to go on my wrist. I am a watch wearer so, I am used to wearing something on my wrist. Although, I like the Galaxy Gear watches, I like the Android Wear watches as well. By getting the Note 4, would allow me to use the Galaxy Gear watches and Android Wear in case I want to go with the Galaxy Gear versions in the future. One thing that the Galaxy Gear watches have, is the ability to make and receive calls on the watch along with the texts. Also, when picture texts came through, they would open on the Galaxy Gear instead of the Android Wear that comes through as an attachment.

For me, I work in a Computer lab so, the stylus proves useful to me on occasion or when I need to write something down and I do not have paper to write it down. Btw, I hate writing on paper now, I would rather do things electronically. I know someone who has the Note series and will never leave it as she has everything integrated into that phone.

Have you tried Nova Launcher? I found that to be better than the Google Now launcher. Also, with the Nova Launcher, you can save your settings to an exterior storage place so, that when you buy another phone its all set up for you. Or, if you want to buy a tablet and have it all the same you can do that as well.

The most recent Android Central podcast talks about the N6 and the Note 4 and which they prefer and why. It was the podcast from yesterday. That further convinced me that the Note 4 was a better choice.

Also, keep in mind that if you on Verizon, they only allow one return and then you are stuck with the unit.

Also keep in mind if you're on vzw if note 4 doesn't get rooted very soon like before Lollipop it may never get root

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I do believe that the Nexus 6 is going to be an amazing device. However after going back and forth between my iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4, I can confidently say that I returned the iPhone 6 Plus because the Note 4 is just better. At least for me. The S-pen just provides a different experience than any other phone on the market. And someone posted a thread with a picture comparison of the screen sizes between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 and after considering the amount of screen sacrificed due to the on screen buttons of the Nexus 6 the usable screen is bigger on the Note 4. Plus, a lot of the features from lollipop are already on the Note 4 plus a whole lot more. Now there is lag on the Note 4, but it's minimal. For what you get in return, its a non issue for me.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781