Cant decide between the Nexus 6 or the Note 4.....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
With the new camera api's ...and nexus 6 able to take raw format pictures without loss to jpeg..... nexus 6 will have some really good camera apps coming out for it soon after launch....

But the note will have access to that as soon as it is updated as well. so while the nexus may have an advantage at first, samsung will get those same apps once it receives Lollipop

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
But the note will have access to that as soon as it is updated as well. so while the nexus may have an advantage at first, samsung will get those same apps once it receives Lollipop

Do you really think so ? Open up the Samsung camera app and Change the iso ...they already have access to that and more and they never put that into the app ....you can if you turn off image stabilization etc ...the g3 won't allow you to change like any settings lol

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I do believe that the Nexus 6 is going to be an amazing device. However after going back and forth between my iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4, I can confidently say that I returned the iPhone 6 Plus because the Note 4 is just better. At least for me. The S-pen just provides a different experience than any other phone on the market. And someone posted a thread with a picture comparison of the screen sizes between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 and after considering the amount of screen sacrificed due to the on screen buttons of the Nexus 6 the usable screen is bigger on the Note 4. Plus, a lot of the features from lollipop are already on the Note 4 plus a whole lot more. Now there is lag on the Note 4, but it's minimal. For what you get in return, its a non issue for me.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Except that the DPI on the Note 4 is so overinflated you don't get to use that screen the way you should. The iPhone 6 Plus shows more content on its smaller 5.5" screen than the Note 4 does with its larger 5.7" screen. I did comparisons between the Note 4 and the S5 when I had it and they both showed identical amounts of content, it was just blown up larger on the Note 4. Changing the text size is irrelevant as well because that won't do anything for GUI elements in apps and images on websites. The iPhone 6 Plus has a zoom feature that does the same thing, but at least it's optional; on the Note 4 you're stuck with it and that is a terrible use of such a large screen in my opinion.

If the Nexus 4, 5, and both 7's are any indication this won't be an issue with the Nexus 6 and it will give you more out of the screen than the Note 4 will even though the Nexus 6 has soft keys.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Except that the DPI on the Note 4 is so overinflated you don't get to use that screen the way you should. The iPhone 6 Plus shows more content on its smaller 5.5" screen than the Note 4 does with its larger 5.7" screen. I did comparisons between the Note 4 and the S5 when I had it and they both showed identical amounts of content, it was just blown up larger on the Note 4. Changing the text size is irrelevant as well because that won't do anything for GUI elements in apps and images on websites. The iPhone 6 Plus has a zoom feature that does the same thing, but at least it's optional; on the Note 4 you're stuck with it and that is a terrible use of such a large screen in my opinion.

If the Nexus 4, 5, and both 7's are any indication this won't be an issue with the Nexus 6 and it will give you more out of the screen than the Note 4 will even though the Nexus 6 has soft keys.
You don't think that the UI is blown up on stock Android? I thought so when I had my Nexus 5. I thought the icons were a lot bigger than they should have been.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You don't think that the UI is blown up on stock Android? I thought so when I had my Nexus 5. I thought the icons were a lot bigger than they should have been.

The Nexus 6 has a 5x5 grid out of the box, the Note 4 is still 4x4. It goes way deeper than the front end launcher UI as well; it is apparent in all apps, in the browser, etc. I used to think I was imagining it but once I put some time into doing hands on comparisons it amazed me how blown up everything is on the Note 4.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6 has a 5x5 grid out of the box, the Note 4 is still 4x4. It goes way deeper than the front end launcher UI as well; it is apparent in all apps, in the browser, etc. I used to think I was imagining it but once I put some time into doing hands on comparisons it amazed me how blown up everything is on the Note 4.
Gotcha. I guess that makes sense. But things don't seem overly blown up to me on the Note 4. Actually it looks quite good to me.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Nm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. I guess that makes sense. But things don't seem overly blown up to me on the Note 4. Actually it looks quite good to me.

I guess a lot depends on what you're looking for. I personally like tablets because I get more content on my screen than I do with a phone and I can still read it or see it without zooming all over. With a phablet I would like the same thing, just appropriate to the screen size. I had a hard time accepting the proportions of the Note 4 when it wasn't giving me more content than the S5 I used to use was, I started asking, "what's the point?" I don't personally need larger content, I want more content and less zooming/scrolling to see said content.

If you're in the camp that doesn't care about more and wants everything larger so it's easier to read, the Note 4 is going to be perfect for you. That just isn't me, however. Also, judging by the popularity of the DPI adjustments made to Note series phones by those that root, I'd say I'm not alone in this.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess a lot depends on what you're looking for. I personally like tablets because I get more content on my screen than I do with a phone and I can still read it or see it without zooming all over. With a phablet I would like the same thing, just appropriate to the screen size. I had a hard time accepting the proportions of the Note 4 when it wasn't giving me more content than the S5 I used to use was, I started asking, "what's the point?" I don't personally need larger content, I want more content and less zooming/scrolling to see said content.

If you're in the camp that doesn't care about more and wants everything larger so it's easier to read, the Note 4 is going to be perfect for you. That just isn't me, however. Also, judging by the popularity of the DPI adjustments made to Note series phones by those that root, I'd say I'm not alone in this.
It's probably why I like the screen. Things don't look overblown they look just right. I would probably have a more difficult time with smaller, but more content on the screen of the Nexus 6. But originally I was talking more of multitasking as far as using the space on the screen. I think that's a great use of the space to me. And the S-pen really augments that experience. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus devices are awesome. I have had all of them. With the exception of the very first one and now this one.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I am a current Note 3 owner. Tried out the Moto X after I got my Moto 360. I liked the feel and the concept of Pure Vanilla. But after using it for about 3 days, I found myself looking for apps that started to make my Moto X into a mini Note 4. Wound up returning it because the battery life was starting to become a concern.

Just out of curiosity, what did you miss from touchwiz? what kind of apps were you looking for to make it more like Touchwiz/Note 4?

I struggle with Touchwiz, there is some of it that I do really like, and parts I really don't like. A little love/hate relationship I guess....

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

I would go with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 will get more future Android OS updates than the Note 4. Also the Nexus 6 doesn't have manufacturer and carrier bloatware.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I would go with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 will get more future Android OS updates than the Note 4. Also the Nexus 6 doesn't have manufacturer and carrier bloatware.

So? Not everybody cares about getting android 5.0 or whatever ASAP. Samsung while slower then HTC does update their phones for a while. I think the Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket went from 2.3 to android 4.1.2? Some people might like the carrier or manufacture "bloatware". I like the Verizon app for your account and all of the Amazon apps.

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Initial camera reactions appear to favor nexus 6 over note 4 but should have better idea after the 12th.. I have the note 2 but going with Nexus 6 because of bigger screen, no touchWiz, Motorola radio and build quality, and potentially better camera than note 4 (I never use the stylus)...

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So? Not everybody cares about getting android 5.0 or whatever ASAP. Samsung while slower then HTC does update their phones for a while. I think the Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket went from 2.3 to android 4.1.2? Some people might like the carrier or manufacture "bloatware". I like the Verizon app for your account and all of the Amazon apps.

The OP asked for people's opinion and I gave him MINE. It is ultimately up to the OP what he wants. I really have no idea why you gave me your opinion.

Last edited:

johnkingx

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
With comparable size, specs and an equally premium design, the Nexus 6 wins because it is almost $200 cheaper off-contract than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Even on-contract, the Nexus 6 should prove to be the more affordable device. With the Nexus 6 you can the best of Android, the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update, continuous support from Google and a mighty future proofed device. If the camera and the S Pen are very important to you, then you should go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise we see no reason to recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Motorola and Google have managed to the Note 4 killer.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
With comparable size, specs and an equally premium design, the Nexus 6 wins because it is almost $200 cheaper off-contract than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Even on-contract, the Nexus 6 should prove to be the more affordable device. With the Nexus 6 you can the best of Android, the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update, continuous support from Google and a mighty future proofed device. If the camera and the S Pen are very important to you, then you should go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise we see no reason to recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Motorola and Google have managed to the Note 4 killer.
I agree with some of your points regarding the price and the latest versions of Android but there are more advantages to the Note 4 than just the S-pen. Like others have mentioned: removable battery, expandable storage, super AMOLED screen, fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, IR blaster, and of course, the S-pen. Again, I'm not saying that the Note 4 is definitively better than the Nexus 6. But there are more advantages than just the S-pen. And that's just considering hardware. I know there are people that don't like Touch Wiz and that's fine. But, you cannot deny that the Note 4 is probably the most feature packed phone on the planet.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Little late in this, and I must admit, I am a Samsung Fanboy. ;)

With that said, the removable battery and 128gb sd card support on the Note 4 are huge.. No need to even mention the S Pen.

However, what is good for one user might not be good for another user, and they both be correct..

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Those were just some of my concerns not all. I can live without the S pen, I can live without the removable battery and micro sd since 64gb is more then enough memory for me. I really like the idea of having updates straight from google and having the closest stock Lollipop android experience you can currently get. I'm just not sure if that will be enough to prefer the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 since camera quality and screen quality is important to me. Also knowing whether the Nexus 6 can outperform the Note 4 in benchmarks would also help my decision :).

Benchmarks the phone should be around the same ... Remember they do both have the same cpu,GPU, Ram and resolution. The only differences are size and software. Samsung's Touchwiz shouldn't bring it down much below the nexus 6 to matter imo

I was thinking of waiting out for the Nexus 6 but decided to get a note 4 instead (again). Don't love on screen buttons but for the right phone i'll deal with them, prefer removable battery and micro SD card slot but I feel the 64GB is fine for me and could live with the Camera and no S-Pen. But I do love the 16 MP Camera on the Note 4 with OIS, and the IR Blaster which i use quite a bit. I think the deciding factor for me was I wasn't going to wait till whenever Verzion decides to sell it and the Camera quality of the Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Most comparisons make the Droid Turbo screen inferior to the Note 4 but I havent noticed a difference that I could care about. Yeah it looked a bit worse then the Note 4 screen but I liked it enough to not matter. I suspect the Nexus 6 screen to be the same as the turbo but bigger

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1