Cant decide between the Nexus 6 or the Note 4.....

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't it be in the app now though? I was trying it out yesterday and couldn't get the option.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
a04a3c9d53fc59dbde41ebbed566d9df.jpg

Even with the note 4 Samsung camera app I prefer 1080p over 2k or 4k since A) less memory taken thus longer videos and video stabilization and all the other features won't work with UHD or QHD

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am beginning to think Samsung is running scared of the Nexus 6 and has resorted to placing plants in the Nexus 6 forum. There are basically three trolls that have been posting non stop misinformation on the Nexus 6 and promoting the Note 4 to a ridiculous degree. There is no way a rational human being would spend this much time on another phone's forum without an agenda. Yes the Note 4 is a solid phone but coming from the Note 2 it is not enough to upgrade for me - it likely is for many others. For me the 6 inch screen size, Motorola build quality and cell radios, on Google feature, and getting Lollipop now instead of later has me excited about upgrading. The camera is similar quality and battery life should be the same and these will only get better with future Lollipop updates.

Can't speak for others, but I own the Note 4 and have also ordered the N6, specifically d/t VZW's lockdown of the Note 4 and fears that it'll never be rooted.

But I also understand that there is no perfect device and eventually it's all about compromise. Based on all the reviews I've seen, the Note 4 seems to have the advantage in display, battery life and camera. The N6's advantage pertains to software, but this can't be understated. Android L looks awesome, and root will be available. And of course I fear that Samsung's version of Android L will be too heavily modified.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Decided on a Note4. Was great hearing both sides. Probably a different decision for others but that's what makes Android such a great platform

Posted via Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I know I may be beaten and dragged through the mud for this next comment, but I have to say, from what I have seen of lollipop, I prefer Touch Wiz? I know this is going to be wildly unpopular, but I really do. You can say I'm a Samsung fanboy; and maybe I am., but I prefer Touch Wiz. First off, the icons look no different to me. The app drawer on lollipop is bright white. I like that I can see my wallpaper behind the apps in my app drawer. I like the phone dialer better too. The Samsung keyboard is my favorite. I tried the Google keyboard and I think it looks nice, but I like the way the Samsung keyboard functions and I like the number row and visually seeing the separation of the keys.I also like being able to move or even delete the Google search bar.I know I may go into Nexus detention for this. But these are my true feelings. Don't hurt me, please.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I know I may be beaten and dragged through the mud for this next comment, but I have to say, from what I have seen of lollipop, I prefer Touch Wiz? I know this is going to be wildly unpopular, but I really do. You can say I'm a Samsung fanboy; and maybe I am., but I prefer Touch Wiz. First off, the icons look no different to me. The app drawer on lollipop is bright white. I like that I can see my wallpaper behind the apps in my app drawer. I like the phone dialer better too. The Samsung keyboard is my favorite. I tried the Google keyboard and I think it looks nice, but I like the way the Samsung keyboard functions and I like the number row and visually seeing the separation of the keys.I also like being able to move or even delete the Google search bar.I know I may go into Nexus detention for this. But these are my true feelings. Don't hurt me, please.

You aren't alone with that opinion, there are millions of everyday consumers who purchase Samsung devices because of all the added features and the look of TouchWiz.

It's hard to accurately guage the popularity of TouchWiz on a developer/enthusiast forum which are usually predominantly oriented around stock android. In the real world though, Samsung seems to be doing something right as they easily out pace all the other Android manufactures in terms of market share.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess I don't see what's so awesome about stock Android unless you just like the look of it. All of the Google apps are the same no matter what. You can download the Google launcher if you want. And there are features missing. I understand about getting updates first, but what does that really mean and what is the real benefit? Should I be giddy about my Nexus getting features that my Samsung smartphone already has? That doesn't make sense to me. If you just like the way the Nexus looks and feels that's one thing, but I don't see the real benefit of having one. But I am interested in the feedback of anyone who does see the benefit.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't because it isn't as laggy as people make it out to be. I have used/ owned almost 40 smartphones Spanning multiple operating systems and I can honestly say that the Note 4 is one of the fastest devices I have used. Actually, only the iPhone 6 Plus was faster and only slightly.I think that people make too much of a deal about something that the average user probably doesn't know is there.

I have played with the Note 4 quite a few times in Best Buy, AT&T, and at a Samsung pop up store at the mall. I played with it multiple times because I really wanted to like it. The screen is great, the camera is great, and the build and specs are solid. But I always decide I don't want it after playing with it because it often can't do basic operations without pausing, or skipping frames during animations and scrolling. Sometimes it will perform well, but then all of the sudden I'll be scrolling in Chrome and it will just start jumping and taking a full second to respond to my finger input. I find the performance to be much less consistent and buttery smooth than devices like the Nexus 5, One M8, and Moto X 2014. I have even tried uninstalling every app on the demo phones, and rebooting them, and converting them to ART, and they still don't seem as consistently smooth as other devices. Maybe it's the bloatware, or the demo software slowing them down, I don't know. But I do know that the Nexus 5, One M8, and Moto X 2014 perform great even with a bunch of bloat and demo apps running. So based on my own experience, I just will not purchase a Note 4 because it feels so much slower than other devices to me. I see Samsung owners claiming their devices have no lag and are perfectly smooth all the time, but frankly, I just don't believe them any more because that contradicts what I've seen with my own eyes. I have come to the conclusion that people who think Samsung devices perform well just are not very sensitive to lag and stutters. I don't think they are lying. I just think they genuinely don't notice lag and stutters like some of us do.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
^^^^ I notice lag. But it isn't as bad as some people think it it when I compared it to the 6 Plus I owned, I did my own speed tests and in most situations thr iPhone 6 Plus did things faster. But it was a fraction of a second faster. And that was in most things, not all. But then when I consider what the Note 4 is doing compared to the iPhone 6 Plus, it makes perfect sense. It's pushing more pixels, it is processing more information in the background, and there are a lot more features it is capable of. All of the phones that are being mentioned, Nexus 6, iPhone 6, M8, etc. Are awesome phones. That have so many strengths and capabilities. But I just haven't found any of them to offer what I get from the Note 4. If some lag or stutters deter you from the Note 4, that's understandable. But it doesn't really bother me at all.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Played around with the Nexus 6 this afternoon and I have to say it is a very solid device. I liked the screen size. Overall, the feel of the device is really nice. The phone performs very well. It is very snappy and smooth. I like what they did with lollipop. It seems like the Android version of the iPhone 6 Plus. Which I think is a good thing. Anyone getting the Nexus 6 I think would be very happy.

Note in my house!

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't speak for others, but I own the Note 4 and have also ordered the N6, specifically d/t VZW's lockdown of the Note 4 and fears that it'll never be rooted.

But I also understand that there is no perfect device and eventually it's all about compromise. Based on all the reviews I've seen, the Note 4 seems to have the advantage in display, battery life and camera. The N6's advantage pertains to software, but this can't be understated. Android L looks awesome, and root will be available. And of course I fear that Samsung's version of Android L will be too heavily modified.
There are aspects of the Nexus 6 camera, color accuracy for example, that are better than the Note 4 but if you take alot of low light shots, Note 4 is obviosly better.

Note 4 battery is better but if I can get through an entire day anything longer than that is pointless.

Note 4 has a better and brighter display but again if 50% brightness works well with brightlights and 100% hurts your eyes what is the point?

When it comes to build quality, Nexus 6 is definitely the winner and lets not forget that Motorola cell radios are the best in the industry. I would mention style but that is more subjective and some might disagree.

I really don't believe software is the only reason to buy a Nexus unless you really are a pure vanilla android fan and dislike touchwiz (I personally have no problem with Touchwiz)

For myself, the Note 4 is not enough of an upgrade from my Note 2 and the Nexus 6 is because of the strengths I already mentioned along with a bigger screen and the always on OK Google" feature.

They both are top notch phones and you can't go wrong either way...

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add one more point to this discussion that I haven't seen yet. But if you are a person who uses cases, you have a lot more options with the Note 4 than you do for the Nexus 6.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I decided on the note 4. Haven't been able to get a white nexus 6 and after two years of nexus devices I want something new. If I hate it I can sell it and maybe by then more nexus 6s will be available!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I decided on the note 4. Haven't been able to get a white nexus 6 and after two years of nexus devices I want something new. If I hate it I can sell it and maybe by then more nexus 6s will be available!
It could be a good change for you. Although, I have always liked the Nexus line of smartphones.The Note experience is and has been great to me. I would always recommend it. It is the smartest smartphone I have ever used.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

Last edited:

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at Note 4 and Nexus 6. Initially I was leaning towards Nexus 6 because I prefer the larger screen and less cluttered UI but I'm concerned about the camera quality and the audio quality through the headphone jack on the Nexus. Also I am accustom to having more than 64 GB of memory (I'm using over 70 GB on my current phone) so I would need to eliminate some files if I chose the Nexus. The other problem with Nexus is I can't find one and I'm not going to buy this phone without seeing it in person. Initially I was interested in LG G3 but after seeing the screen in the store I prefer the vivid colors of the Note 4. The Note 4 is it has a lot of features I will never use, such as the S Pen, and in a way it feels like I would be buying a computer when I really just need a calculator. The salesperson said I can remove the Flipboard on the home screen, which I really dislike.

CyanoSwamy

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
No matter How aggressive the flagship phone be, it will have some or other problem. For full benefits or use of the phone i recommend to try Cyanogen custom ROM and you will be free of problems.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My vote would be for the Note 4. It has a number of features that are tailored to take full advantage of the big screen and the useful S-Pen, and it has better battery life, a better looking and brighter screen, a better camera, and expandable storage. I prefer the stock Android experience, but I'd rather have the aforementioned advantages.

The Note 4 was my second choice after my Droid Turbo, for reasons I've stated elsewhere and won't get into here. But I'm very impressed!

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts after owning a Note 4 for almost two months and the Nexus 6 for about a month.

I love the stock experience more in tasks such as app opening and switching and text scrolling. The Note 4 text scrolling looks like it skips frames so I can't scroll and read headers or my twitter feed at the same time. I have to scroll, stop, and then read. It really hurts my eyes after doing this awhile. The Nexus 6, on the other hand, is very smooth and allows me to scroll and read simultaneously. I can read my rss feed, use other apps and consume media, then come back to the rss app hours later and I can read where I left off. I rarely use more than 1.5GB while the Note 4's ram is almost always maxes out to the point where I have to start over and find where I left off when I switch to that same rss app hours later.

Overall I have a smoother experience using the Nexus 6. The UI is so much better than TouchWiz. The system settings on the Note 4 is a mess and why do some apps need to hide the status bar like the calculator app? So not necessary. It makes me cringe when the Note 4 lags half a second when I press the overview button.Why is my year old Nexus 5(still on KitKat) more smooth and responsive than the ultra powerful Note 4 and, to an extent, the Nexus 6? Also try scrolling through a Hangouts message when it's on the bottom of a multi window session with SwiftKey. It's a buggy mess since the keyboard pops up every time scroll up. Out of all the software kitchen sink features the Note 4 offers I feel only the S-pen done well.

The radios on the Nexus 6 is better than the Note 4 by a lot. And what I mean by "a lot" I mean that I get a good signal and able to stream on the Nexus 6 at a good distance from the WiFi router while it stutters or I spend several minutes staring at that loading circle on the Note 4. At times I would get WiFi signal on my Nexus 6 while my Note 4 reverts to LTE because it can't get the WiFi signal. Sometimes I intermittently lose WiFi signal from the Note 4 while the Nexus 6 is able to hold it and at a farther distance. Downloading files and loading Web pages takes longer on the Note 4. I hardly feel you have to wait for something to fully load when I use the Nexus 6. Just today I compared loading a news article on both phones and I was able to go through all 9 pages on the Nexus 6 while I'm stuck loading page 4 on the Note(4). Mobile Chrome still sucks and I find the stock browser on the Note 4 scrolls smoother.

The camera on the Note 4 blows the Nexus 6's camera out the water(especially in low light situations) . One thing that makes the Note 4 camera terrible is that of you take a picture in low light and the subject is in motion even slightly, the picture comes out blurry. Multiple people on this forums have also commented on this problem.

Say what they want about Samsung bloat(I hate how they include Facebook and Instagram as system apps) but I get 45 minutes to a little over an hour more on screen time on the Note. Also the Note 4 has excellent stand by battery consumption compared to the Nexus 6. I think Google made stock Android ping Google Play Services a bit too much or something. Even when rooted Greenified the Nexus 6 wakes up way too much compared to my stock Note 4. The fingerprint scanner is nice and works very well but I prefer using the trusted device feature on Lollipop to unlock my phone.

Since you get 50% off any accessory under $50 when you register your Note 4, I was able to get an extra battery and charger kit for only $22. The fingerprint scanner is excellent and I rarely have to scan more than once to get to my home screen. The display is better but not by that much. Auto brightness is much better to me than the iOS copy cat adaptive display on the N6. I have to fiddle with the brightness settings on the Nexus 6 several times a day while I only need to manually change the brightness on the Note 4 once when I'm reading in bed at night. Since the Note 4 is still on KitKat I get the notification ticker(except for phone calls) instead of the obtrusive and annoying banner ios notification banner on the Nexus 6. I sure hope Samsung keeps the ticker when they update the Note 4 to Lollipop instead of using the stock notification.

Overall I feel the compromises I make in using the Nexus 6 is carrying it around while on the Note 4 I have to change the way I use a phone and have more patience in doing it. So far I feel I'd rather have a better experience than tolerating and being able to tolerate how I use a phone for a longer time. Although with that said, when I use the Note 4 as my daily driver I think I would keep this phone if I had to get rid of one and feel the same way when I use my Nexus 6.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza