Moto X vs Note 3

janderss

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I will be getting my first android phone shortly. I am choosing between the Moto X and Note 3, mostly because they are in a price range I am comfortable with and they seem to get good reviews. I only see comparisons between the note 4 and moto x online, never the note 3, should I read that as the moto x is superior to the note 3 (since I assume note 4 is superior to note 3). I use the phone mostly to stream video and music, but I also hope to use it a lot for work, taking notes and making to do lists etc. using evernote. I don't think battery life is a huge deal, but maybe the lack of expandable memory for moto x? Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't mean that at all, it's just that any comparison of the NEW Moto X with a last year phone would be unfair, so it's pitted against the new one, the Note 4 (IMHO the comparison is already too unfair as they are in different size categories and target segments, but OK). The original Moto X and the Note 3 would be the ones you'd probably see compared, but even then I wouldn't think it fair since the 'old' Moto X has an even smaller screen.

You're really looking at two very capable phones with two very different target audiences. You want video in a larger screen, note-taking with an actual pen experience and all the bells and whistles of new tech that you probably will boast about but rarely use? Go for the Note 3 (that's the one I had and loved because of the S-Pen; I'm currently rocking a Note 4). If you want a capable phone with a decent camera (not the best) and a closer-to-pure-Android and touchless controls at a much more affordable price, then go for the Moto X.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not expandable memory, it's expandable data storage. You can store some apps there and get them to work, but depending on that is like skating on a lake with a thin ice warning. Sometimes you can even run across a freeway with your eyes closed and not get killed. But you don't depend on things like that unless you regularly find winning lottery tickets in trash cans.

Taking notes, making lists - writing. The S-Pen is great for that. I haven't worn out a tip yet, but I can't figure out why - I use the pen all the time.

The Note 3 screen is larger. It has more RAM and a faster CPU, so it will probably seem a bit "snappier".

The Note 4 has a few "it would be nice if I could add them for a few dollars" features, but I wouldn't spend $200 and a contract extension to upgrade. (If you're going to go with AT&T or Verizon, be aware that Samsung phones are locked up tighter than Fort Knox - the bootloader is locked and can't yet be unlocked [and may never be] and the only ROMs you can flash are modifications of the stock ROM. If you're using another provider, those cautions don't apply, since only AT&T and Verizon sold out to USA, Inc.)

janderss

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm leaning towards a Note from the replies I just got, and I just played around with the S-pen on a note tablet, I loved it. I will be signing a contract extension, so the Note 3 is $100 and Note 4 is $300. Would you say the Note 4 is worth the extra money? (I realize it is almost impossible to say since the value of money will be different for everyone, but any thoughts...?)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm leaning towards a Note from the replies I just got, and I just played around with the S-pen on a note tablet, I loved it. I will be signing a contract extension, so the Note 3 is $100 and Note 4 is $300. Would you say the Note 4 is worth the extra money? (I realize it is almost impossible to say since the value of money will be different for everyone, but any thoughts...?)

The difference between the Note 3 and the Note 4 are not that huge. Upgraded internals, a 'better' camera with OIS, and a more pixel-dense screen is what really the Note 4 has as an advantage. The experience is very similar. I only upgraded because I got to sell the Note 3 for almost as much as a new Note 4 would cost me (honestly! check prices down in Mexico hehe), otherwise I'd have skipped the Note 4 for now. But if to you that's worth 200 bucks, then go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol