so im currently using 1st gen moto x, 16 months later this phone is now starting to show its wear n tear. im in the market to buy something new, im stuck between the new moto x and turbo. ive read from all over that the new moto x's battery isnt as great as the first one and battery is pretty important to me now as ill be out n about for work, school, etc for over 12 hrs a day, medium-heavy usage depending on the day so i think im answering my own question because it seems like the turbo is the best choice if i want a phone that lasts majority of the day. i also purchased the moto 360 so i need something to keep up with that. i dont want a phone thats beyond 5 inches, otherwise the n6 would be my first go to. the turbo doesnt seem to be too big, its probably exactly where i want it.

i guess im trying to see if users are happy overall with the turbo, i know each experience is different and i wont know mine til i go hands on, so im also trying to see if theres anything new that might be coming out within a month or so to hold out on. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
    12-15-2014 08:42 AM
    so im currently using 1st gen moto x, 16 months later this phone is now starting to show its wear n tear. im in the market to buy something new, im stuck between the new moto x and turbo. ive read from all over that the new moto x's battery isnt as great as the first one and battery is pretty important to me now as ill be out n about for work, school, etc for over 12 hrs a day, medium-heavy usage depending on the day so i think im answering my own question because it seems like the turbo is the best choice if i want a phone that lasts majority of the day. i also purchased the moto 360 so i need something to keep up with that. i dont want a phone thats beyond 5 inches, otherwise the n6 would be my first go to. the turbo doesnt seem to be too big, its probably exactly where i want it.

i guess im trying to see if users are happy overall with the turbo, i know each experience is different and i wont know mine til i go hands on, so im also trying to see if theres anything new that might be coming out within a month or so to hold out on. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
    I bought the Turbo about 3 days after it came it out and I love it. I'm coming from a Galaxy S3 and the Turbo blows it away. The phone is super fast (haven't noticed any lag at all) and the battery gets me through the day. I would say I'm a medium to heavy user (I use it for work). I unplug the phone at 7 in the morning when I wake up and plug it in at about 10:30-11 at night and I still have about 45-50% battery left. On a heavy day, I might get down to around 35-40%. The camera is also very good, although image stabilization would have been nice, but I still manage to get some great pictures out of it. I also went with the Ballistic Nylon Black with 64 GB due to the fact that it doesn't have an SD card slot.
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-15-2014 09:06 AM
    I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Loved the original Moto X, and like a certain writer at this site, wasn't overly happy with the size of the new Moto X. I had been about ready to buy a new one with the leather back though when the Turbo was announced. It may not have the customization features the X has, but it fixed every other complaint I had about the new X, battery life, screen, storage, wireless charging. And remember that the Turbo comes with the turbo charger, the X will use it but its an additional cost.

I picked up the 64GB BN version and I couldn't be happier with it. Well other then maybe the camera, but thats a Moto thing.
    12-15-2014 09:08 AM
    My son had the original X and now has the Turbo. He loves it. Does everything his X did but with massive battery power, which he appreciates. Camera is better. Screen is better. Pull the trigger on the Turbo!
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-15-2014 09:23 AM
    There is an article on here, the home page at the top, that compares the two. Very good write up.

I personally picked the turbo coming from an s4. No comparison to that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-15-2014 09:40 AM
    Since purchasing the turbo I don't charge it at work, I don't charge it in the car. I think I am a moderate to heavy user, I only charge at night and it's between 35 and 50 %. This is why I bought a Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-15-2014 09:46 AM
    I too would recommend it. It's great not having to worry about your phone's battery life.

The latest update addressed a good number of problems that people have posted on here, data usage with wifi on, improved battery life, some reported louder speaker for calls as well.
    12-15-2014 10:08 AM
    I too came from the 1st motoX. I chose the turbo over the new moto x for the massive battery. When I used my moto x I would be on 10% battery at about 2pm. With the turbo I can go all day and into the night without a charge. I do miss the curved back of the moto x though. That phone felt so good in the hand. But I think the battery life is worth the change though.
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-15-2014 10:24 AM
    They are nearly the same phone, so I think the decision boils down to do you prefer style or function?

The Moto X has more style, and the Turbo has more function.
    MikeLip likes this.
    12-15-2014 11:38 AM
    I upgraded from the 2013 X to the 2014 X. Then I gave it to my son, and got the Turbo.

All things considered, I like the 2014 X best. It is already upgraded to Lollipop. Rumors are turbo won't have LP until mid-January (Advanced calling just came out for Turbo, though, and X still doesn't have that).

The 2014 X has about the same battery life as the 2013 X. The Turbo definitely has better battery life. And Wireless Charging.

The Turbo gets laggy in Chrome browser - I think it is due to the high resolution screen, combined with ads on the websites I frequent. The 2014 X is noticeably smoother (perhaps LP has something to do with this - and hopefully Turbo will improve when it gets LP). When I pick up my sons X, I find myself wishing it was still my phone. I've even suggested we trade back

Both phones are good looking, but I find the X is a little classier.

Turbo: Pros - battery life, wireless charging, simultaneous calling/data
    2014 X: Pros - smoother screen, lollipop,sleeker phone

If battery life and simultaneous data are important, go Turbo. Otherwise, I would suggest 2014 X.
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-15-2014 12:34 PM
    ^^ I can't agree that the Droid Turbo lags more than the Moto X 2014. You have compare the same versions of Android to be fair. Yes, Lollipop may not get to the DT for up to another month, but that's not too long in the scheme of things - especially if it may go straight to 5.0.1 and its bug fixes. And if anyone wants to say that the Moto X gets faster updates, I would counter that the DT already received the VoLTE update last week - not as big as Lollipop, but still an update with significance.

One important difference I will add to discussion above about the DT's better hardware is 'future-proofing'. Of course, there's no such thing in reality, but the point is even if people claim 'no big difference' right now, the DT's internals make me much less concerned about its ability to handle what's coming down the road (until it's time for my next phone). Let's not forget that this includes 32/64gb storage options & 3gb RAM vs the Moto X's 16/32gb & 2gb RAM.

At this point, I feel the need to talk about bias, which I am using here to mean: stating personal preferences for or against a particular device yet presenting them as objective factors in reviews and comparison articles. I'm sorry, but I've seen too many articles where the DT's advantages over the Moto X are downplayed while at the same time excusing the Moto X's weaker areas with a basic sentiment of "it's not that bad/different". Note that this doesn't mean it's done on purpose, or with an agenda. I also understand that almost no such articles will be 100% objective, but unless it's meant to be an editorial or opinion piece, I believe that the DT gets short shrift much more than deserved.

Case in point is the recent AC article referred to above that compares the two (EDIT - added article link):

http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...should-you-buy

The only advantages listed for the Moto X over the DT are style, "much better build quality", and price. No argument about price. The other two points involve at least partial judgment calls. Obviously the Moto X has a wide range of physical customizations.

But here is where many folks spend a lot of time discussing the Moto X's feel and/or implying that that the DT has no style, is ugly, or such. Such subjective factors come down to personal preference. I personally think that while the Moto X has more styling options, the DT also looks good, the tapered edges are nice, and the BN feels better than the Moto X's options - just an opinion. Finally, the build quality comment also appears to use subjective criteria - how is the Moto X "much better" when only the DT was said earlier to be made of "super tough materials". To me, that IS a large part of build quality.

The AC article also makes two general, sweeping statements about the Moto X without explaining them: "feels like a complete experience, with lots of little flourishes and tricks that make it seem well thought-out" (listed under the advantages over the DT), and "nicer-feeling device that is a more cohesive piece of technology" as a conclusion. Someone please explain how the Moto X is more "complete" or "cohesive"? Is that not also rather subjective?

Unfortunately I heard similar sentiments in the AC podcast episode where the DT is reviewed, which starts around the 50-min mark and goes for about 9 min here:

Android Central 210: Fuzzy Wuzzy Was A Podcast | Android Central

Even though it was a review about the DT, most of its strengths and features were glossed over in favor of a lot of time spent downplaying them, comparing it to the Moto X, and defending the Moto X. Some examples were the notion that the DT doesn't do anything better than the Moto X except for battery life - but its usefulness was minimized because of the point that supposedly everyone charges their phones at night. Similarly, the usefulness of turbo and Qi charging were minimized.

I do feel a bit bad because I didn't mean to zero-in on AC, but it was just timing with this thread and the article/podcast, which echoes sentiments similar to what I've seen a lot when comparing these two devices; I could've linked to a bunch of other websites. I'm not trying to personally attack or single out anyone and tried to focus only on the issues relevant to this thread, so hopefully people will understand and won't be offended (EDIT: And I'm certainly not looking to get banned, I hope!). But let me know if there was any personal issue with anything that was written. Sorry for the length, rant over.
    shaytoon21 and VZWsucks like this.
    12-15-2014 02:46 PM
    They are nearly the same phone, so I think the decision boils down to do you prefer style or function?

The Moto X has more style, and the Turbo has more function.
    I couldn't disagree more. The Turbo is the best looking phone available by far IMHO.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    12-15-2014 02:57 PM
    i dont want a phone thats beyond 5 inches, otherwise the n6 would be my first go to. the turbo doesnt seem to be too big, its probably exactly where i want it.

Size-wise, unfortunately the only sub-5" out of the top-end Android smartphones is the Sony Xperia z3 Compact at 4.6", which is highly respected by everyone though not available on Verizon if that's an issue. I'd say the next size grouping includes the S5 at 5.1", and the Moto X, z3, and DT all at 5.2" - all about the same size (DT being heavier and a bit thicker).

After that I'd group together the LG G3 (most efficient screen-to-size ratio), OnePlus One, HTC One M8 (not as wide as the DT but MUCH longer b/c of the dual BoomSound speakers), and z3v (not sure why it's so big for a 5.2"). And after that it's the phablets.

I don't believe that any new top-end Androids are coming out until around March-ish, with the HTC One M9 and Galaxy S6, followed around summertime by the LG G4, Z4 Ultra/Compact, and maybe the Motorola Droid phablet. From preliminary specs, it looks like the Droid Turbo is going to compete well with all of them overall, the only significant disadvantage (besides camera, but it's already behind there) is the upcoming Snapdragon 810. But there are reports of the 810 having some issues that could delay things, though Qualcomm denied it last week.
    12-15-2014 03:28 PM
    i really appreciate everyones response! im leaning towards turbo now after reading everyones comments (i already read the AC reviews and comparisons when they came out so this thread helped me decide) i need to go into a store just to get a quick feel for the turbo and make sure its really the one before pulling the trigger, hopefully ill have some time today after work.
    12-16-2014 08:08 AM
    I exchanged an iPhone 6 plus for the Turbo and I'm so glad I did. I was on a 2013 Moto X that I really enjoyed using but my battery crapped out so I bought a Galaxy S4 off a relative to use. The Moto X was though was a far better experience. I upgraded to the 6 Plus because my family are all on iPhones and my wife got me a Macbook for or anniversary in September so I figured I'd jump ship from Android and try a different platform since I'm a fan of technology not brands. I lasted 6 days on my 6 Plus and exchanged it for my Turbo and I'm blown away by the Turbo. It is faster, more stable, better signal, and a better screen than the 13 X and I have no problem keeping this phone for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying the 6 Plus is a bad device because it is far from that, but I could not deal with iOS.
    shaytoon21 and HappyFunBall24 like this.
    12-16-2014 08:20 AM
    I exchanged an iPhone 6 plus for the Turbo and I'm so glad I did...I lasted 6 days on my 6 Plus and exchanged it for my Turbo and I'm blown away by the Turbo. It is faster, more stable, better signal, and a better screen than the 13 X and I have no problem keeping this phone for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying the 6 Plus is a bad device because it is far from that, but I could not deal with iOS.
    great statement! i was waiting to see if anyone came from ip6, every single person i know uses an ip and ive been "harassed" nonstop by friends to switch over and im like what dont you understand?? i like my freedom and i like using a real smartphone. lets see how long your battery will last in 6 months. lets talk then and see if youre still happy (knowing them, they will be just for the sake of saying they have an ip6, they love polishing turds)
    12-16-2014 08:38 AM
    i need to go into a store just to get a quick feel for the turbo and make sure its really the one before pulling the trigger, hopefully ill have some time today after work.
    Exactly what I did. After holding on to it, I had a hard time walking out because of having to go back to work..lol Been with my Moto X over a year and still get great battery life for a light/med user, still runs smooth and takes pretty good shots for just 10mp. But larger screen, larger battery, camera sensor has potential after 5.0 update, and all the Moto goodness (active display, touchless controls) that's going to seal the deal for me. Hope you enjoy your visit !
    12-16-2014 08:39 AM
    I've had both, turbo is the way to go. Fixes all the issues I had with the X (mainly battery life and camera). If you want a unique phone, get the Blue ballistic nylon from best buy. Awesome looking phone.
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-16-2014 09:17 AM
    great statement! i was waiting to see if anyone came from ip6, every single person i know uses an ip and ive been "harassed" nonstop by friends to switch over and im like what dont you understand??
    Good, don't give in to that peer pressure! I've literally heard some people say that they prefer iPhones because that's "what everyone else has" and loves. I just (lightheartedly) ragged on one of my Apple fanboy buddies a couple of days ago for not even looking into any other option ever before always getting iPhones while also saying that they're the best,, etc. Saying that you love your phone is one thing, but declaring that it's the best without knowledge of anything else is where I had the problem.

Btw, when I told my iPhone buddy over the phone about my new DT (including saying that it's a top-of-the-line Android smartphone), the first thing he asked me was "Does it have a touchscreen?" - no joke! I think I was silent for 5 full seconds; didn't know what to say and wasn't sure he was kidding (he was not). Oy vey...

Anyhoo, back to OP's decision... no pressure here, just evaluate the factors that are most important to you and go with what feels best. Have fun checking out the phones and good luck!
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-16-2014 11:44 AM
    I don't want to tell you what to do, its your money. I'm coming from a droid Razr maxx (XT912) and I love my droid turbo (XT1254BN) from audio jack to charging port. I'm like you I can't see myself with a big screen. The DT is perfect, and faster !oh! And the battery....don't even get me started, You can't go wrong with this battery .

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    12-16-2014 07:40 PM
    Saying that you love your phone is one thing, but declaring that it's the best without knowledge of anything else is where I had the problem.

Btw, when I told my iPhone buddy over the phone about my new DT (including saying that it's a top-of-the-line Android smartphone), the first thing he asked me was "Does it have a touchscreen?" - no joke! I think I was silent for 5 full seconds; didn't know what to say and wasn't sure he was kidding (he was not). Oy vey...
    LOL, yes!! thank you!! oh man. some of my friends are well informed so they know whats up, but the others are clueless and are riding the wagon bc "it works" and "everyone is on imessage" when i tell some of them that ios just doesnt do it for me and how i cant stand it, they look at me with a blank stare and say whats ios? facepalm.
    HappyFunBall24 and pchain like this.
    12-17-2014 11:33 PM
    ....when i tell some of them that ios just doesnt do it for me and how i cant stand it, they look at me with a blank stare and say whats ios? facepalm.
    That is the funniest thing I've read all week because it's SO TRUE!
    12-20-2014 12:03 AM
    Both are amazing, Motorola has some of the best phones on offer and has everything covered low end to high end.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360
    12-20-2014 07:23 AM