Samsung Galaxy S6 vs. HTC One M9

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I was going to post this on "Phone Wars" but I didn't see a "create new post" tab there. So, because I'm sure I'm not the only S5 owner who's growing increasingly tired of the lagging, wi-fi dropping and reconnecting, etc. I thought I'd ask you what your thoughts are.

I've owned an HTC DNA and Incredible in the past and been very impressed with their build quality and smoothness. The cameras were simply garbage and that's being charitable. I LOVE Samsung's screens, the whiteness of the whites and the depth and saturation of the colors and I have never been a fan of LCD's. But I'm really beyond frustrated with the Samsung bugs and OS limitations which I'm sure almost all here are all too familiar with. Frankly, I wouldn't even be considering the S6 as my next phone but for the fact that Samsung seems to have gotten the message that people HATE touchwiz and they've toned it down to the point that it's going to be close to stock vanilla Android. HTC's Sense software is, as always, very impressive and allows their phones to be snappy and essentially lag-free. They are REALLY going to have to step up their game in the camera department though or the M9 won't even be a consideration.

Based on pre-release reports/rumors/leaks, which of these two phones (both of which will be announced in less than a month) would you consider?

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
If the camera on the m9 is a dud, I would be looking at the g4.. It's going to take a stellar ui overhaul to change my mind about Touchwiz. All this is just supposing I would be buying a phone soon, which I'm not;)

Posted via the Android Central App

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm Ready For A New Phone...S6 Or M9?

The S6 sounds promising if all that's going around proves true. I don't care much for the glass back (hopefully that's just a rumor).
Just out of curiosity, who's your carrier?
I've had great luck with the Sprint S5 (their iteration of lollipop is actually terrific).

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

The S6 sounds promising if all that's going around proves true. I don't care much for the glass back (hopefully that's just a rumor).
Just out of curiosity, who's your carrier?
I've had great luck with the Sprint S5 (their iteration of lollipop is actually terrific).

I'm with Verizon. I'm finding the 5.0 update to be a real dud.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Yep looks like Verizon botched 5.0 Big Time :(
Hope they fix it for you fellow users Quickly!!
Makes 5.0 look bad :(

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I'll take a HTC phone over a Samsung device anytime.

While the camera is important to me the phones reception is even more important and Samsungs radios have always been lousy.

The m9 looks to be great if the leaks are accurate and that will be my choice.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: M9 VS S6

Not even a comparison by the looks of things. Samsung didn't bury HTC, they just shrugged them off and dismissed them as irrelevant. Maybe I'm getting caught up in their conference hype but they really took all criticism on board and have really tried to take the Galaxy brand to the next level. HTC seem unambitious and sloppy in comparison tbh.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Samsung just made an iPhone 6 that runs android with a ton of bloat. Shot themselves in the foot with no SD expansion and no removable battery. M9 still looks like the M7(not a bad thing) but could have done more. Their saving grace is their new camera. Given the choice to upgrade now, i would still pick my LG G3. Let's just hope that LG doesn't follow suit.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Samsung just made an iPhone 6 that runs android with a ton of bloat. Shot themselves in the foot with no SD expansion and no removable battery. M9 still looks like the M7(not a bad thing) but could have done more. Their saving grace is their new camera. Given the choice to upgrade now, i would still pick my LG G3. Let's just hope that LG doesn't follow suit.

i feel as long as htcs new camera is better than theyre pretty much in the clear. But so far initial pics coming from the camera arent good at all.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Agreed, would choose the M9 over the S6. Let's hope their camera lives up to expectations. Samsung is trying to pull a few iPhone users with this design, but in doing so, might lose a few current users. Either way, they will still sell like hotcakes. Their marketing is far superior to HTC, even if their phone isn't.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

The S6 has a well done design, really good new features that are actually useful (Wireless charging and Samsung Pay) and some decent leaps in processor and ram tech. That beats out HTC by quiet a bit, sadly. HTC just didn't leap forward with the M9. I could even be ok with the reused design if they brought more to the table software and hardware wise, but they just didn't.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Samsung really knocked it out of the park here both on the hardware and the supporting software, and closed the deal on why people should buy the GS6.

HTC focused on the software, kept essentially the same hardware, and then shot themselves in the foot by saying all the software features would be coming to the One M8.

Interestingly, Samsung took cues from HTC as far as low light camera performance...but did so without mentioning HTC or giving them credit, they sold it as an organic internal idea to increase aperture and make the pixels more sensitive.

Interestingly, Samsung also stole HTC's surprise thunder...HTC announced a seperate VR headset device....and Samsung announced a VR headset attachment for the Galaxy S6. And their paid crony after-show talk show just pointed out that no, you don't have to buy a separate device, twist that knife a little.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Glass front and back, I remember when that was used by Samsung fans against the iPhone. That said, i think the S6 is better simply because the camera seems better. I guess this will be confirmed when full reviews are in.

- Tapatalk

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

thats another thing that i really dont like about the s6. Glass back just means more potential for breaking and scratching

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I will never buy a Samsung phone. The M9 is a nice evolutionary step. We will have to wait for final judgement about the camera though.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

What I was looking for mostly between the two devices (and would make my decision) is the camera, and the S6 seems to beat the M9 in that aspect. I always take pics so I need a good camera....will be going with the S6 for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol