Will the Galaxy S6 be the phone of the year for 2015?

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Phone of the year.

I think the iPhone 6s or 7 will beat it unfortunately.

The battery life horror stories will drag it down.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Ehhh I would have to disagree. Knowing Apple, they are always years behind on specs with their phones. I doubt the next iPhone will have wireless charging, and wouldn't be surprised if the screen was still 1080p

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I don't even see that there's a question here. It simply is phone of the year. I annihilates the M9 and bests the ip6 in every regard.... including battery life. The soon-to-be releases G4 is a phablet and does not compete with the S6. Its natural competition is going to be the Note 5.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Ehhh I would have to disagree. Knowing Apple, they are always years behind on specs with their phones. I doubt the next iPhone will have wireless charging, and wouldn't be surprised if the screen was still 1080p

Totally agree

Posted via the Android Central App

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Apple hasn't won any phone of the year awards for a long time. At least not from reviewers I trust. Almost always an Android device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The Note 5 could potentially steal that title, but that's nothing new. No other non-Samsung phone is going to be a better overall device, though.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Thing is can Moto or HTC get camera right, both of their software is probably better than Samsung. Also, fingerprint sensor is awesome on S6. HTC failed, can Moto do anything amazing later? We will see.

I don't count LG since there is literally no advantage buying over Samsung. Mostly they copy everything Samsung does, and their UI is more ugly than touchwiz.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Possibly. An update could come out and fix these issues and.. Bam good phone. Main complaint is battery life.. Other than that I love my S6.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Thing is can Moto or HTC get camera right, both of their software is probably better than Samsung. Also, fingerprint sensor is awesome on S6. HTC failed, can Moto do anything amazing later? We will see.

I don't count LG since there is literally no advantage buying over Samsung. Mostly they copy everything Samsung does, and their UI is more ugly than touchwiz.

I just don't see anyone putting out an overall better device than the GS6 Edge. Camera, display, design, fingerprint sensor, wireless charging, eventually Samsung Pay, etc. Say what you want about the battery life, too, but it's been extremely solid of you're not affected by the bug that's in -Google's- software.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Battery life...is that the best you got...so tired of it. If that's your only gripe and such a huge driver, then don't buy it. No everyone is having issues with the deivce or the battery, granted a key component. Something like that overshadowing the many improvements to hardware and software that enable the BATTERY to perform on par with its predecessor. It will be one of the best devices this year. Is it the best of all time? nope.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

The Note 5 could potentially steal that title, but that's nothing new. No other non-Samsung phone is going to be a better overall device, though.

That's where my money is. Note 5 will likely beat it otherwise yeah the S6 is likely the front runner for best phone of the year.

The iPhone 6 doesn't use a 1080p screen. it uses a 1334x750 resolution screen. The iPhone 6 plus is the one with the 1080p screen.
(iPhone 6 is a fairer comparison).

In any case I am sure the ip6s will beat it in the camera department if they implement the multi-lens technology. But if it will beat it elsewhere, unsure.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't even see that there's a question here. It simply is phone of the year. I annihilates the M9 and bests the ip6 in every regard.... including battery life. The soon-to-be releases G4 is a phablet and does not compete with the S6. Its natural competition is going to be the Note 5.
I also think the Note 5 will be the king of the year.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Anything is possible, there were better phones than the S5 last year so it would only take an iterative update from them to outperform the S6. HTC could've done it but they botched a couple things they could've improved on but didn't for whatever reason. Sony could easily do it. Their software has historically been better than Touchwiz. All they'd need to do is match the camera really, do a QHD display and the Z4 will rival the S6 but have a better battery.

I'm hoping the Note 5 won't be plastic and will have the same camera though. If it does I'll probably go with it. I want a phablet this year

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Anything is possible, there were better phones than the S5 last year so it would only take an iterative update from them to outperform the S6. HTC could've done it but they botched a couple things they could've improved on but didn't for whatever reason. Sony could easily do it. Their software has historically been better than Touchwiz. All they'd need to do is match the camera really, do a QHD display and the Z4 will rival the S6 but have a better battery.

I'm hoping the Note 5 won't be plastic and will have the same camera though. If it does I'll probably go with it. I want a phablet this year

I doubt Sony will be able to outperform the camera or the display on the S6. HTC went to the well one too many times and got thoroughly outdone this year. LG, even though I don't like their UI, probably has the best shot here. It may be able to come close on camera and display and should be able to beat the battery life. I'd still put my money on the S6 Edge, though. This phone is highly impressive.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Out of millions of devices sold, the number of incidents cited in this site are not even a rounding error on a percentage basis. Did you actually get the device and spent some real time with it? If you have, then I am sorry you are having such a bad experience but not all of who own the device are. If it's not for you,fine. Device is not for everyone and won't make everyone happy. I realize that. I also want to make clear that I am not directing my comments specifically at you but those with share the same sentiments and that want to totally ruin the positive experience that some of us are having the deivce. Is it perfect? No. Could it have been better? Sure. Will software updates fix some thing like battery life?Sure. The secret to failure is trying to please everyone all the time and that will never happen!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I doubt Sony will be able to outperform the camera or the display on the S6. HTC went to the well one too many times and got thoroughly outdone this year. LG, even though I don't like their UI, probably has the best shot here. It may be able to come close on camera and display and should be able to beat the battery life. I'd still put my money on the S6 Edge, though. This phone is highly impressive.

Why wouldn't they? It's certainly within Sony's technology to make a great display and camera. Or did you simply mean you doubt they'll bother?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

What was that about mediocre battery life? I'd say 4 hours of screen on time with 29% remaining is pretty damn impressive.

Attachments

• 1429149017475.jpg
    1429149017475.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 1429149029821.jpg
    1429149029821.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol