LG G4 or Galaxy S6... I need help!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys with phones in the S6 series not notice lag?? I see it almost constantly. If I don't touch the phone for hours, it'll be ok. But if I've been using it, it constantly lags. I tried to open the dialer to order pizza last night, and it honestly took 5 seconds to open the dialer. That's unacceptable on a flagship of this quality. I see it in opening notifications too quite often. This alone has me looking really hard at the G4.

meguy67

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys with phones in the S6 series not notice lag?? I see it almost constantly. If I don't touch the phone for hours, it'll be ok. But if I've been using it, it constantly lags. I tried to open the dialer to order pizza last night, and it honestly took 5 seconds to open the dialer. That's unacceptable on a flagship of this quality. I see it in opening notifications too quite often. This alone has me looking really hard at the G4.

Once and a while my S6 has a stutter or two, but not too much. I have the same amount of stutter using the iPhone 6 plus.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Once and a while my S6 has a stutter or two, but not too much. I have the same amount of stutter using the iPhone 6 plus.

I think that's what is so frustrating to me. Sometimes it flies. Sometimes it stutters like a jank piece of $1000 tech. That alone has me looking for something new.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm completely torn. I currently have the G3, but I have owned the S5 and currently have a Galaxy Tab S, so I'm familiar with Touchwiz.

The horror stories in the S6 (mostly S6e) forums of gyroscope failures, crappy battery life, and lag are pushing me away from the S6 though. Oddly I haven't seen many complaints from Canadian users, mostly the US ones. Either the software is better here, or there aren't that many Canadian forum users.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm completely torn. I currently have the G3, but I have owned the S5 and currently have a Galaxy Tab S, so I'm familiar with Touchwiz.

The horror stories in the S6 (mostly S6e) forums of gyroscope failures, crappy battery life, and lag are pushing me away from the S6 though. Oddly I haven't seen many complaints from Canadian users, mostly the US ones. Either the software is better here, or there aren't that many Canadian forum users.

I would keep it balanced and don't believe all that you read, applicable to a lot of things (but no polotics here at AC lol).

My experience of the S6E has been totally different from what you may have read.

I was adament that I was not going to purchase the S6E as I read reviews and smoke was being blown up a very dark ally.

However as I learned I was receiving the G4 I decided to sell my G3 to go in part in purchasing the Edge.

Battery life has been great and better than my M9.

Fluidity is there and to date not a hiccup, but ram management is still an issue.

Screen is the best I have seen & Camera is superb.

I won't waffle on but I have a lot of positives for the Edge & some negatives but all phones in reference to this are the same.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I would keep it balanced and don't believe all that you read, applicable to a lot of things (but no polotics here at AC lol).

My experience of the S6E has been totally different from what you may have read.

I was adament that I was not going to purchase the S6E as I read reviews and smoke was being blown up a very dark ally.

However as I learned I was receiving the G4 I decided to sell my G3 to go in part in purchasing the Edge.

Battery life has been great and better than my M9.

Fluidity is there and to date not a hiccup, but ram management is still an issue.

Screen is the best I have seen & Camera is superb.

I won't waffle on but I have a lot of positives for the Edge & some negatives but all phones in reference to this are the same.

That's totally true. The G4 keeps drawing me though as I love my G3, and the G4 is basically a near perfected G3.

Honestly, Samsung is big and they are losing sales. Based on that, i'm 100% sure they will iron out any software bugs with the S6/S6e. They aren't stupid, they wouldn't haven't used a battery that small if they didn't know they could make battery life better/comparable to the competing flagships.

One other phone that has piqued my interest is the Oppo R7 Plus. Not sure how good a 1920x1080 AMOLED would look stretched out on to a 6" display though. I had an Oppo Find 7a when it first came out (Oneplus One with removable battery and SD card slot), and it was an awesome phone.
Their forum community is downright awesome. Oppo staff are online all the time, and....wait for it....they ACTUALLY ADD FEATURES TO UPCOMING COLOROS VERSIONS THAT PEOPLE REQUEST!!!

That's right. They take feedback and squash bugs and add features based on OUR feedback.
The build quality is excellent also. The new r7 is on par with the iPhone/S6 for build.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That's totally true. The G4 keeps drawing me though as I love my G3, and the G4 is basically a near perfected G3.

Honestly, Samsung is big and they are losing sales. Based on that, i'm 100% sure they will iron out any software bugs with the S6/S6e. They aren't stupid, they wouldn't haven't used a battery that small if they didn't know they could make battery life better/comparable to the competing flagships.

One other phone that has piqued my interest is the Oppo R7 Plus. Not sure how good a 1920x1080 AMOLED would look stretched out on to a 6" display though. I had an Oppo Find 7a when it first came out (Oneplus One with removable battery and SD card slot), and it was an awesome phone.
Their forum community is downright awesome. Oppo staff are online all the time, and....wait for it....they ACTUALLY ADD FEATURES TO UPCOMING COLOROS VERSIONS THAT PEOPLE REQUEST!!!

That's right. They take feedback and squash bugs and add features based on OUR feedback.
The build quality is excellent also. The new r7 is on par with the iPhone/S6 for build.

Samsung's problem right now is Apple or rather its been for a while actually. However this time Samsung has lost all focus because its like they want to emulate their rival.

Now whilst its great to look to your competition and see what they are up to, you just don't build a device that resounds Apple when your Company is Samsung.

They need to say this is us and STOP with the apple stuff already.

The S3 was uniquely Samsung and as is the Note series so get back on focus...

The S6 & Edge are fantastic and not all Apple focused but their is that strong whiff and they just need to let it go.

Yes liking the sound of the oppo R7 & also Xaiomi Mi5 both will be very good I'm sure.

Ebko

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Why do you think this is the last loaded flag ship? The market is not down sizing or diminishing.

Because as of today the G4 is the only new flagship phone that has a removable battery and micro SD card (correct me if I'm wrong). I hope that Samsung takes a huge hit and quickly see's why people bought their phone over the iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one long time ago. I prefer function over a fancy design.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Because as of today the G4 is the only new flagship phone that has a removable battery and micro SD card (correct me if I'm wrong). I hope that Samsung takes a huge hit and quickly see's why people bought their phone over the iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one long time ago. I prefer function over a fancy design.

If you prefer function, then your looking at non removable storage. It does more than what an SD card can, yet I agree that it costs more. Even when we get Android M, flash storage will record more then an SD card. And adding an SD card removes any incentives for a manufacturer to have multiple models of storage, like you see in the G4 and m9.

So your choices are pay less and get less. Or pay more and get more.

I personally like both the G4 and the S6, but if you want competition against Apple, your not going to do it with a 32gb phone regardless that it has an SD card. Already plenty of people have jumped to the S6 because it was the only Android phone with storage choices in retail markets. With out that, they would have gotten an iPhone.

Not arguing, just relaying how people felt on a different forum.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there were Galaxies (S3 at least, and I think S4/S5 as well) with multiple internal-storage size options, despite also having SD cards. But agreed, at least from LG, they seem to have picked an internal storage size, and are allowing the SD to make up the difference. Personally, I'm OK with that. If the market demands it, maybe they'd offer more storage in the future.

One issue I have with purely-internal is that you need to try and anticipate all your future needs, the day you buy the phone. And you need to pay today-prices for it. I bought my G3 with the typical 16GB. 6 months later, I added a 32GB SD card. If I later decided that still wasn't enough, I could buy a bigger card, and by then I'd probably pay less per-GB. Nowadays a 64GB card goes for less than I paid for my 32GB, and I expect that trend will continue. If I want to add an additional 128 GB to my phone, it's about $80 at the moment. Most phones don't come with capacities that large (technically 160GB, since I'm starting with 32), even if you're willing to pay a bunch more for it.

I don't know about the future versions of Android, and how they'll handle this. And I realize SD may be slower than internal memory. But I believe many (most?) things can be put on SD, if you're OK with the speed penalty. I will probably try to keep my apps installed on internal memory, and use the SD primarily for photos/media storage. Things that are less speed-critical.

If you ask me, I wouldn't think that people are making a decision between a Galaxy and an iPhone based on internal-storage size options, but that's merely my opinion.

I'm also not trying to argue, just sharing how I view this.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Since you have tried all the other galaxy models why not try out the LG G series, either the G3 or G4 both are great phones.
Removable batteries and sd card options.
Don't get stuck with a phone that you cant replace the battery or insert an sd card.
My 2 cents.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there were Galaxies (S3 at least, and I think S4/S5 as well) with multiple internal-storage size options, despite also having SD cards.

I should have been more clear. Yes, you could get the 16gb phone right at release. But the 32gb model took 30 to 60 days after to get such a phone. And while Samsung also made 64gb models, did you ever try finding such a thing?
My point is that, with internal storage only, manufacturers have an incentive to release phone in multiple sizes at release.

I personally agree with you on most of the rest that you said. But no, at this time you can't put apps on your SD card. At best you can put data and cashe stuff in the card but not mutch else. I'm also a gamer, you never were able to put a AAA title game on the SD card. At best you could store some levels and game saves, but not the full item (and that is with support from the developers).

After 2 years of Google destroying SD card usage, even with Android M it will take developers support to allow SD card writing of the full app (especially hard core games). This at best will not come easy as internal storage is far faster and has far more reliability.

Again, I do agree with most everything else that you said. You won't get any argument from me. But yes, there are at least two members here in the S6 forums that repeatedly stated that if they couldn't get 128gb phone apon release then they are going back to Apple so that they could have a phone with such storage options. So while it is only a tiny number of users, they are out there.

Much respect

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned that you have an SD card in your S4.

For that reason alone, I would definitely recommend the LG G4 if SD cards are your thing. Unless you can pony up some extra moolah for extra storage on the Galaxy S6, the G4 is my personal pick because it might just be the last flagship to have expandable storage and microSD expansion.

The Galaxy S6 has a very beefy processor and a better build but this comes at the cost of the lack of expandable storage and sealed battery that doesn't seem to deliver very consistent battery life. The LG G4 doesn't have the build quality of the S6 (though the leather backs are the big exception as they feel great), nor does it have the beefiest processor, but the software is extremely well-optimized to the point where real-world performance differences between the 2 are only about a second apart. I personally think the G4 looks slightly better (I said looks) and has a removable battery and microSD expansion slot, if you're into that.

Both run Android Lollipop (5.0.2 on the S6, 5.1 on the G4), both have excellent cameras and both offer quick charging as well as gorgeous displays. I suggest trying both out before pulling the trigger, but based on your OP, I recommend the G4.

I have already purchased an SD card for my G4 and I am currently in the process of finding a Quick Charge 2.0 wallwart before my phone comes.

Throwbackent

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S6 or LG G4? Such a hard decision...

So I've been eligible on Verizon for my upgrade since February, but I've been holding out.

Let me explain, I'm a new father, so all I do is take pictures of my little baby girl. Also, I'm a home improvement salesman, which requires a lot of travel, tons of talk time, and a whole lot of web browsing and email writing outside of WiFi.

I currently have the Galaxy S4 with an expandable memory card,, which is almost completely full. My current phone takes good photos (for the most part), but is always dying so quickly and is always overheating. I've got an extra battery for it that I run through daily, too.

I've owned the Galaxy 2, 3 and 4, so I may be partial to Samsung, although I'm open to the LG. G4.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've followed these phones for months, but I'm sitll undecided.

I'd like to make my decision today if anyone has any insightful information or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

6/8/15 update: my neighbor has the s6, I played with it all day. Its snappy and has a nice camera, I'm concerned with battery, though on either device. And not to mention, I do like the quick charge and wireless charging pods A LOT! I also went to Verizon today to play with the G4. Its only foreign to me because I've had galaxies for so long. Its a nice phone, I want the leather back of course its not in stock at my store yet. I'm more enticed by the Best Buy $100 gift card and $25 reward certificate with purchase of G4, but I have a business account, so of course, Best Buy has no access to those accounts... go figure!

Ughhh, back to square one. Still don't know what to do.

HELP LOL!

Throwbackent

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
6/8/15 update: my neighbor has the s6, I played with it all day. Its snappy and has a nice camera, I'm concerned with battery, though on either device. And not to mention, I do like the quick charge and wireless charging pods A LOT! I also went to Verizon today to play with the G4. Its only foreign to me because I've had galaxies for so long. Its a nice phone, I want the leather back of course its not in stock at my store yet. I'm more enticed by the Best Buy $100 gift card and $25 reward certificate with purchase of G4, but I have a business account, so of course, Best Buy has no access to those accounts... go figure!

HELP LOL!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

HELP LOL!

The LG G4 also has quick charging (quick charger sold separately) and wireless charging (requires a folio case).

Really, since you mentioned that you have an SD card, I recommend taking the G4 if it matters a lot to you. It has an equally brilliant camera and is also similarly snappy, despite running on a slower SoC compared to the S6.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

HELP LOL!

Had to buy printer ink this eve at BB this eve & checked out the G4 while there. Am NOT knocking the phone, it is just not for me. I do not know how attached to Verizon you are, but the S6 Active is suppose to hit ATT June 12th from what I read a bit ago. Samsung Galaxy S6 Active to be available from AT&T starting June 12 | Android Central The water resistant rating & battery are the biggest draw for me, but that still does not address your storage needs even with switching networks.

Good luck with your search.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance