LG G4 or Galaxy S6... I need help!

Throwbackent

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
So I've been eligible on Verizon for my upgrade since February, but I've been holding out.

Let me explain, I'm a new father, so all I do is take pictures of my little baby girl. Also, I'm a home improvement salesman, which requires a lot of travel, tons of talk time, and a whole lot of web browsing and email writing outside of WiFi.

I currently have the Galaxy S4 with an expandable memory card,, which is almost completely full. My current phone takes good photos (for the most part), but is always dying so quickly and is always overheating. I've got an extra battery for it that I run through daily, too.

I've owned the Galaxy 2, 3 and 4, so I may be partial to Samsung, although I'm open to the LG. G4.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've followed these phones for months, but I'm sitll undecided.

I'd like to make my decision today if anyone has any insightful information or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

-Jon-

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So I've been eligible on Verizon for my upgrade since February, but I've been holding out.

Let me explain, I'm a new father, so all I do is take pictures of my little baby girl. Also, I'm a home improvement salesman, which requires a lot of travel, tons of talk time, and a whole lot of web browsing and email writing outside of WiFi.

I currently have the Galaxy S4 with an expandable memory card,, which is almost completely full. My current phone takes good photos (for the most part), but is always dying so quickly and is always overheating. I've got an extra battery for it that I run through daily, too.

I've owned the Galaxy 2, 3 and 4, so I may be partial to Samsung, although I'm open to the LG. G4.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've followed these phones for months, but I'm sitll undecided.

I'd like to make my decision today if anyone has any insightful information or advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

If your doing a lot of email perhaps the G4 will serve you slightly better with its 5.5" Display.

People mention the lack of storage on the S6 but their is always OTG with a Sandisk USB drive.

Just going by what your saying and with your busy Job at this point I would say get online , type in LG G4 and place that order.

-Jon-

Well both are great in the Camera department, and its hard to push one over the other, as what is our preferences hmm they may not be yours.

With that said you mention your busy job and with the replaceable battery found on the G4, I would type in LG and purchase the G4.

Posted via the Android Central App

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what info you are looking for when asking other people to make the choice for you. In an LG G4 forum most will prob point you this way. In an S4 forum most would prob point you that way. There are literally 400 independent reviews and comparisons you can find online. The most i could get out of your wants/needs is camera, which both phones have a very similar and great camera, and battery....again both phones being close but G4 slightly better life (depending who you ask) and the peace of mind of a removable battery. Storage....G4 has 32 built in, but offers micro card support, and S4 starts with 32gb but can also increase built in support by purchasing a higher gb model, also higher in price.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Both are great phones, I've been Samsung forever but I figured I'd change it up for a bit and go LG. Honestly there isn't one big reason that pushed me to LG, I'd be perfectly happy with the S6 but in the the battery and SD card for the LG tipped the scales. I think Samsung gave in to the "quality feel" pundits and discarded what they were known for...not the best move IMO but time will tell.

My only concern with the G4 is the size, I'm a smaller phone type of person but I thought I'd give the bigger one a try, if it doesn't work it'll be on eBay pretty quick and I jump to the S6.

Good luck, IMO it's a win/win either way.

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I came from the S4 as well. I've been very happy so far. If you think you'll miss the physical home button or you really liked the size of the S4 then the G4 might not be the best option. Personally I haven't found the phone to be very difficult to wield and I like the on screen buttons.

If you're going to be taking lots of pictures and don't use the cloud I would lean toward the G4 for the expandable memory.

Also with their current promo you could get a free replaceable battery for while you're in the go. The promo by itself is not a reason to buy the phone but it's a perk.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone! Enjoy whichever update you get!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh...one more thing, the back buttons ROCK...that alone would keep me with LG if I can stand the size. Never liked side buttons, always awkward to use, it took me about 10 seconds to fall in love with the buttons on the back.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm a pessimisticoptomist...I plan for the worst and hope for the best...

Batteries fail and even if you or anyone you know has never experienced this before, if it does and you're out on the road...you're hosed.

Fill up 1 sd card and you can pop in another...

Camera...I gotta say that if you are taking a ton of pictures and video you might as well use expandable memory...it's real easy to use.

Putting both in your hands it's not hard to really like the s6 if you are a Samsung fan...however based on what you said your needs are...the g4 is the obvious choice.

Good luck

Posted with my awesome LG g4

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like battery life will be a factor for you, with a lot of travel, and running through 2 batteries on your S4.

I have also been phone shopping, coming from a Galaxy S3. I disliked Samsung's decision to eliminate the removable battery and SD card from the S6, so I was deciding between the S5 and the LG G4.

Have you considered the S5, instead of the S6? The S6 has a lot of improvements over the S5, obviously, but if you need the ability to swap batteries during heavy-usage days to keep working, then the S6 may not be the best choice (unless you add a case with an external battery, etc).

I bought a G4. I like it so far. It's big, yes, but it's thin, and I bought a small case for it (Spigen Slim), which adds minimal bulk. I thought I'd miss the physical Home button of my S3, but I've quickly gotten used to the on-screen buttons. I like that they can be re-configured (including swapping positions), or additional buttons added to that row. The rear-mounted buttons are different, but they haven't been a problem so far. The camera seems very good. I'm very happy with the display, and the extra size is nice, though I do with the screen was more like 5.1", to make the phone smaller.

My biggest unknown at the moment is turning out to be battery life. I figured getting used to the larger size was going to be my issue. I have to see how the battery holds up during a typical day of use without charging during the day. At least you can always swap batteries if it comes to that, and I registered for LG's free battery/SD/battery-cradle promotion, so I'll have a spare battery available.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
You really can't go wrong with either. I have both and flip back and forth several times a day about which I like better.

Camera: S6 is ever so slightly better. I love the double tap of the home button to quickly open the camera. Camera opens and ready to shoot in something like .7 seconds. Having 2 young kids I've really come to appreciate this. The G4 has a similar method where press the volume down button twice but unless I'm missing something this only works when screen is locked. On the s6 I can be in the middle of a game, browsing, whatever and it works perfectly.

Battery life seems to be a really important factor to you. In my use so far both get roughly the same battery life. However, if you're not always near a charger I'd give the g4 the advantage here as you can pop in a spare battery.

Display: I think the s6 display is the best display there is but the G4 is no slouch. I don't like how dim it is in comparison and the colors aren't as vibrant to me but it is still excellent in its own right. As you do a lot of web browsing for your job you may appreciate the bigger screen.

You can always try one out and if it doesn't meet your needs return it. The G4 is an excellent value at its price point however with the S6 being a bit more expensive for roughly the same performance.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have both.
But I would pick Samsung.

I'm basically on the same boat here, after 2 days with the G4, there is nothing I can say that I like more in the G4 than in the S6, most cases they are even and when there is an advantage it goes to the S6 edge, even in Battery life.

I was expecting better battery life, my S6 edge has giving me consistently over 5 hours of SoT on weekdays with Bluetooth and Android wear on all day and over 6 hours SoT on Weekends with very limited bluetooth and Android wear usage. So far with the G4 with the exact same settings and apps in both, without using the Android wear and bluetooth yet, I'm getting about 5.5 hours of SoT, at least 30 minutes less than my S6 edge.

For last, missing a lot the display, fingerprint and the S6 edge unique design and feel in hand.

Ebko

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I also came from several Samsung phones (S4 last). I was looking forward to the S6 until they changed their design to tap into customers who's #1 priority is appearance. Like you, my priorities are function and capacity. I feel that Samsung sacrificed the most important features (removable battery and SD card) to achieve this. Everyone wants a good looking phone but let's face it, you have to put a case on it. Almost all flagship phones are hard on the battery and the last thing I want to be doing is looking for a power source. No matter what anyone says, there is nothing like popping in a fully charged, inexpensive, spare battery. Also, when you take a lot of pictures and videos you MUST have memory. Sorry, I don't want my life on a cloud (maybe only to back up). I also like to have my whole library of media on my phone.

I was concerned about changing to another manufacturer (LG) because of being with Samsung for so many years. I've had the G4 for a couple days and I already can confidentially say this phone is EVERYTHING I expected the S6 to be (and more). I was even surprised at how compact the 5.5“ display fits into the body. It doesn't feel any bigger than the S4.

Do yourself a favor and get a G4 because I have a feeling, the G4 may be the last flagship that has all this function and capacity. Also, it is a PHENOMENAL phone.

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I also came from several Samsung phones (S4 last). I was looking forward to the S6 until they changed their design to tap into customers who's #1 priority is appearance. Like you, my priorities are function and capacity. I feel that Samsung sacrificed the most important features (removable battery and SD card) to achieve this. Everyone wants a good looking phone but let's face it, you have to put a case on it. Almost all flagship phones are hard on the battery and the last thing I want to be doing is looking for a power source. No matter what anyone says, there is nothing like popping in a fully charged, inexpensive, spare battery. Also, when you take a lot of pictures and videos you MUST have memory. Sorry, I don't want my life on a cloud (maybe only to back up). I also like to have my whole library of media on my phone.

I was concerned about changing to another manufacturer (LG) because of being with Samsung for so many years. I've had the G4 for a couple days and I already can confidentially say this phone is EVERYTHING I expected the S6 to be (and more). I was even surprised at how compact the 5.5“ display fits into the body. It doesn't feel any bigger than the S4.

Do yourself a favor and get a G4 because I have a feeling, the G4 may be the last flagship that has all this function and capacity. Also, it is a PHENOMENAL phone.

I totally agree with this post. The two biggest concerns of yours are storage and battery. I think its pretty clear which direction to go. Also, I've had several Samsungs (my last three phones actually) and the constant stuttering and lag drove me away. Just my 2 cents.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have both, they are both great. You definitely have to do like others have already said and go feel them in your hands and test them out yourself to see which you prefer.
If you need more than 100gb of space on your phone over your life time and do not want to attach a usb/microusb storage dongle, then go with the G4.

I use my s6 edge more than the g4 for what it's worth.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both and while my G4 is my daily driver I say flip a coin because both are amazing and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

SHIFT_g4

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

-Jon-

I had the S6 for a month before getting the G4 and it was a great phone except the battery was worthless. I didn't even make it through 8 hours off the charger before I had to charge it up again. And I breezed right through the 32 GB of on-board storage. There is no expandable memory on the S6, fyi.

Get the G4. The camera is just as good as the S6's and it has a bigger and swappable battery and expandable memory.

Posted via the Android Central App on the LG G4

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Why do you think this is the last loaded flag ship? The market is not down sizing or diminishing.

to the op, would go with what ever you like AFTER seeing them in the store. Also keep in mind if you put a case on your phones, the size changes. Free battery/sd card via LG or fast wireless charging via Samsung. I keep very little on my phone as most any photo gets uploaded to my pc when at home. So the card means very little to me personally.

Another option as mentioned was the S5. With your work, the IP67 rating may benefit you along with the obvious replaceable battery/sd card. Save a few dollars too.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Is the note series an option? I am in sales and talk on the phone and use gps on my phone a lot during the day. I have have been using the note 4 and iphone 6 plus. Sold the note to get the g4. Love the software so much more than samsung touchwiz. Right now the battery life is pretty bad with same usage as my note. I'm getting about 3.5 hours screen time note would get about 5 to 6. If the note isn't too big for you might want to hold out a big longer. I love everything else about the phone, love the read buttons, camera, software. I have had a few people also tell me I sound much better on the g4 than on the note that i was using. The speaker is very loud and clear with phone calls, which is a huge factor for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08