Note 5 vs Note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeteedub

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I'd love to get some information from the current Note 4 owners to get some background on the Note 4 vs the impending Note 5. I've been reading a lot online, and from what I can tell, most people really like their current Note 4's...and aren't really all that interested in upgrading.

I'd love some feedback....thank you...

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Definitely interested in upgrading but if the published info is true, my upgrade won't be another Samsung device. Don't like the direction they are going.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If the rumors are true the Note 5 will take away replaceable battery and microSD support while not providing any significant new features other than incremental hardware improvements and new software bells and whistles on the UI. Personally I see no compelling reason for me to want a Note 5 since there's nothing on the horizon that would offset the loss of the battery and expandible storage. I'm rooted and running a custom ROM with Xposed though so it's not like I want for very much on the UI side of things anyways . .

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
If the rumors are true the Note 5 will take away replaceable battery and microSD support while not providing any significant new features other than incremental hardware improvements and new software bells and whistles on the UI. Personally I see no compelling reason for me to want a Note 5 since there's nothing on the horizon that would offset the loss of the battery and expandible storage. I'm rooted and running a custom ROM with Xposed though so it's not like I want for very much on the UI side of things anyways . .
Seems like the rumor is true, even on a local Dubai site they confirmed it will have no expandable memory or removable battery

emirates247.com/business/technology/latest-leaks-samsung-note-5-set-for-august-13-launch-2015-08-05-1.599201

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I will upgrade because the Note 5 has more powerful hardware than the Note 4. When the Note 4 came out it had the best, now the Note 5 will improve on the Note 4 with the Samsung SoCal, much faster internal storage allowing for faster more smooth action all round. The S pen functions have been enhanced and improved. A camera that is faster and takes better pictures. Improved security, greater computing speed, lower energy requirements to preform a given task, built in wireless charging for both of the most popular wireless charging systems. The Note 5 will, in my opinion, be a real step forward in the evolution of the large phone format.
I use my Notes for work more than play. I use the S pen 99% of the time. With MS Mobile Office now a reality the Notes 4 & 5 are even better work horses.
While I will certainly keep my Note 4 as a backup and a secondary work machine I will now be able to sell my Note 3.

Michael Xz

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The note 4 is the best phone on the planet in my opinion, but the s-pen and software like smart select, scrapbook and s-note are a huge part of the reason why. Since my understanding is that the screen is essentially the same on the note 5, just buy the note 4 once the price goes down instead of the note 5... then buy the note 6 or 7 when you want to upgrade. Notes are not as easy as other phones to walk away from due to the s-pen, but if s-pen doesn't matter to you at all then just get an LG G4, camera is better.

Imo, the problem was that a lot of idiots wrote good reviews for the S6... you know all those idiots that we old review a great phone but lament it wasn't made of metal or sd ome other bs that to them meant the phone was somehow lacking...so Samsung has now gone "down the path to the darkside"

I know people who choose clothes and shoes based on fashion not comfort, it's the same kind of idiocy... only applied to phones.

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've never upgraded from 1 phone to the very next.....I prefer to skip a generation. Since I just got my Note 4 in May, I'll be sticking with it at least until the Note 6 comes out...maybe even the 7.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, the loss of the SD card in the Note 5 is a harbinger of things to come. From what I've been reading, most, if not all, phone manufacturers will be getting rid of SD cards in phones, as they have been a huge pain for both users and the manufacturers. Plus, they cost the manufacturers money and space. It costs them money, because you can now purchase an inexpensive SD card rather than pay for upgraded internal storage. It costs space, because we all want a very thin phone - and having a removable back costs space, in terms of how thin the phone is. And if you can't remove the back to change the SD card, there's no easy way to replace the battery. Plus, just peruse this forum and you'll read about LOTS of issues with SD cards. Although cheaper, SD cards just aren't as reliable as internal storage.

If they up the internal storage, that is all that I need. From what I've read, Samsung will be getting rid of the SD card option in all of their phones, and most likely, the replaceable battery option as well.

Personally, I'll miss a replaceable battery, but, frankly, I don't swap batteries very often - but it's nice to know the option is there when you need it.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have owned the Note 3 and now have the Note 4. But I will definitely be upgrading to the Note 5 as I upgrade my phone every year. Removable batteries and expandable storage aren't that important to me. The Note has great battery life and even with heavy usage it gets me thru the day. As far as expandable storage goes, I will just purchase the 64 or 128 GB version of the Note 5 and that will be enough memory for me.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, I'd say stick with the even number Note's as they tend to have much more compelling features! :D

Otherwise, between the Note 4 and 5 the biggest difference is really going to come down to how much you value user-replaceable battery, SD card and IR blaster (Note 5 drops these) compared to a slightly better CPU/GPU, camera, an extra 1GB of RAM, a bottom facing speaker, a glass back, and probably some software tweaks for the S-Pen in the Note 5 (otherwise both have the same size/resolution screen).

Personally speaking as a Note 4 (and previously Note 2) owner, the loss of user-replaceable battery and SD card outweigh the slight gains of the Note 5 and actually make it feel like two steps backward. :(

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I use the IR blaster daily, and the idea of a glass back is a real turn off for me. Those two facts alone would make me stay with the Note 4.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the loss of the SD card in the Note 5 is a harbinger of things to come. From what I've been reading, most, if not all, phone manufacturers will be getting rid of SD cards in phones, as they have been a huge pain for both users and the manufacturers. Plus, they cost the manufacturers money and space. It costs them money, because you can now purchase an inexpensive SD card rather than pay for upgraded internal storage. It costs space, because we all want a very thin phone - and having a removable back costs space, in terms of how thin the phone is. And if you can't remove the back to change the SD card, there's no easy way to replace the battery. Plus, just peruse this forum and you'll read about LOTS of issues with SD cards. Although cheaper, SD cards just aren't as reliable as internal storage.

If they up the internal storage, that is all that I need. From what I've read, Samsung will be getting rid of the SD card option in all of their phones, and most likely, the replaceable battery option as well.

Personally, I'll miss a replaceable battery, but, frankly, I don't swap batteries very often - but it's nice to know the option is there when you need it.
Really then why did Motorola just add SD card support to their latest flagship phones. Also, why is LG making such a big deal in their marketing about SD card support. Sony and HTC both support SD cards in their flagship phones. The only company I see not supporting SD cards is Samsung.

Samsung's main goal is to boost their bottom line by forcing customers to pay a lot for small increments of memory. Love the Apple memory approach, support Samsung.

I really like the new Motorola approach. Offer built in memory options along with SD cards. I don't need high speed memory for my pictures, videos and audio files. I also hate streaming, I want to listen and watch the media I have purchased no matter where I am at the time.

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
+1000 on your take regarding SD cards... My compelling reason for wanting removable batteries? Rare but on more than 1 occasion my phone has froze and the only way I could restart it was to pull the battery. And for those fellow tin hatters ;-) if you can't pull the battery your phone is never truly turned off. They're... Listening... Shhhhh
And watching...
Right now!

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll make this easy

If you want the MicroSD Card and/or removable battery = KEEP NOTE 4
If you don't care about the MicroSD card and battery and willing to upgrade = GET NOTE 5

Besides the MicroSD and removable battery, the Note 5 is an upgrade from the Note 4 spec-wise, and has an upgraded new S-Pen

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Really then why did Motorola just add SD card support to their latest flagship phones. Also, why is LG making such a big deal in their marketing about SD card support. Sony and HTC both support SD cards in their flagship phones. The only company I see not supporting SD cards is Samsung.

I'd double check your facts on this because Samsung is not the only company moving away from SD cards. Check out the Nexus 6 heck of a device , correct? Tell me what you see..er...don't see. The companies you mention have all done the same thing at one time or another. Who knows, if its an epic fail Samsung can always add the functionality back in the future. Not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20