Note 5 vs iPhone 6s

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

My 6 Plus has done nothing but lag and stutter, ironically when I got my Note 5. Giving the iPhone to my sister in-law

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

That is correct.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S6 and a Note 3. When the iPhone 6S+ (or 7 or whatever it's going to be called) comes out, if it has a seriously mega camera, I may jump ship. It's just whether I will be able to go back to the Apple environment from Android. A lot of the reasons I left there iPhone are now moot - can't drag and drop videos and music onto it was a big one for me, but with the advent of Netflix and Google Play Music/Spotify that really isn't a big deal any more. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the S6, it is absolutely brilliant. Especially now 5.1.1 seems to have fixed up a lot of the memory problems (not completely sadly - Relay Pro still loses where I am when I switch in and out, which is really irritating), but I am obsessed with getting the best camera possible. It will take a lot for the new iPhone to beat the S6 though, the double press to open it is so fast, and the quality of pictures is stunning. I love taking photos, so a seriously amazing camera on a phone is pretty much top of the list for me (please nobody say 'Nokia 1520'... too slow and old now!), but I am not in any way prejudiced against a phone just because it has a Hipster image. That's just cutting your nose off to spite your face, isn't it?

The new Note 5 isn't coming to the UK officially, which sucks. Not that I would have got one (although, if it had been released with the S6 I definitely WOULD have got one). Non-swappable battery is a bit of a pain, but I carry around a fast-charge Xiaomi 10,000 mAh battery now instead of a spare battery.

Yes, it is a little bit of a pain, but not that much as I take a bag everywhere anyway and it sits in a pocket. The SD card thing I really don't care about at all; I have always seen them as a big pain. Not being able to install apps in them (yes, I know you can sort of on some phones, but it is a poor solution at best) and having your phone split into two drives is just irritating. My S6 is 64gb and it's SO much better than my S5 with a 64gb card in it, which I STILL had to be constantly file managing - once you install a couple of big games, all the space in it's little 16gb memory is just sucked out of it.

I can't wait to see the iPhone though.

1520 no.... Cityman or Talkman maybe....Ha

I can say this because I have one, this new 6s coming out will really have to stepup to be as good as my Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Whether or not I buy a Note and an iPhone are independent choices. I decided not to buy the Note 5 for reasons discussed in the no removable battery/expandable storage thread. I probably won't buy the iPhone 6S Plus, unless there is some feature that blows me away and I feel that I have to have it. Last year, I bought the Note 4, Note Edge and iPhone 6 Plus because I thought that I liked all three of them. In general, I don't like iPhones enough to buy every iteration of them.

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm pretty sure there won't be any surprises with the 6S+ or 6S. For the last several iPhone releases, tech blogs like Engadget and 9to5mac have been able to tell us exactly what the phone would be a month before the official announcement.

My bets are: Faster CPU, Force Touch screen, thicker chassis, maybe more RAM, and that's about it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

There's suppose to be a nice bump in camera specs also.

Posted via the Android Central App

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I've went from iPhone to Note 3 and then upgraded to Note 4. I will NOT be getting the Note 5. There is just nothing earth shattering about it. Yet there are people in this very thread talking about how Apple only does incremental upgrades. Really and Samsung doesn't? What the hell do you call the NOTE 5? What is so earth shattering about it, in fact didn't they take away the SD Card Slot, Removable Battery and IR Blaster? One issue I've had with both the Android phones I've had is the damn bluetooth skips during music playback and it doesn't matter which music app you use. This is definitely a known issue with Android, all one has to do is look via various forums and you'll find thread and after thread on this issue.

I was never a blind iPhone user and I am darn sure not a blind Android user either. So, bottom line is I keep my options open. I will certainly consider the iPhone 6s Plus and may decide to get it or may decide to just stick with the Note 4. I already purchased a iPod Touch because I couldn't rely on the Note 4 to provide me the quality music playback that I need and want. It is damn ridiculous that I had to do that because as one person said, it make more sense to just have one device, but Android has made that impossible.

Samsung isn't giving iPhone users a $1 30 day trial because these phones are selling good, they took a great hit last year when Apple released the larger screen size phones and they are trying to win some of those customers back that went back to the iPhone. Good Luck with that Samsung!

moises1204

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

I din't buy the note 5 because of the iPhone! i din't buy it because Samsung decided to remove some of the things that are important to me! for some reason Samsung is now deciding whats best for us like apple does.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

I din't buy the note 5 because of the iPhone! i din't buy it because Samsung decided to remove some of the things that are important to me! for some reason Samsung is now deciding whats best for us like apple does.
Come on people. Samsung is not deciding anything for you. They are making phones that most people want. Those of you that wasn't replaceable battery and memory cards are a small percentage of their customers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

To each their own, but I prefer Android. I also though the iPhone 6 didn't feel great in hand, and iOS is just too limiting. Also, BS that iOS runs great on such limited RAM, Apple continues to bone it's customers on RAM and storage and people keep making excuses for them.

128gb iPhone is getting boned on storage? Most iPhone users give nothing to internal specs, if the experience meets their needs they are happy. iMessage, camera, apple pay, touch ID, well polished apps that 9/10 are superior to their android/windows counterparts, ecosystem, and a great display. That is what iOS users want. 99% of them don't care how much RAM, how many cores, or get too hung up on how many megapixels the camera has as long as the pics turn out great.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

128gb iPhone is getting boned on storage? Most iPhone users give nothing to internal specs, if the experience meets their needs they are happy. iMessage, camera, apple pay, touch ID, well polished apps that 9/10 are superior to their android/windows counterparts, ecosystem, and a great display. That is what iOS users want. 99% of them don't care how much RAM, how many cores, or get too hung up on how many megapixels the camera has as long as the pics turn out great.
Simply true. If iOS would just at least allow some type of customization. Themes or something, without jailbreaking. That would attract a lot of folks. As it stands now with iOS, all the excitement has to be in the apps (nothing too wrong with that, I guess) because iOS is only a place for the apps. Android gives us something to do when we might otherwise get bored.

from the Elegance

Last edited:

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

Simply true. If iOS would just at least allow some type of customization. Themes or something, without jailbreaking. That would attract a lot of folks. As it stands now with iOS, all the excitement has to be in the apps (nothing too wrong with that, I guess) because iOS is only a place for the apps. Android gives us something to do when we might otherwise get bored.

from the Elegance
And if Apple could give us that while maintaining stability and a uniform user experience they probably would. One of things about android that can easily cause confusion is how each manufacturer has a slightly different take on ui and features to include.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I was at an AT&T store yesterday and was told that it would be announced on September 9

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I was at an AT&T store yesterday and was told that it would be announced on September 9

Announced the 9th, pre-orders start at an ungodly hour on the 11th, at your door on the 25th is how it would run if the 9th holds up.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

And if Apple could give us that while maintaining stability and a uniform user experience they probably would. One of things about android that can easily cause confusion is how each manufacturer has a slightly different take on ui and features to include.

They could always allow theming with a disclaimer. They allow boot camp on the Macs. I guess jailbreaking is as close as its going to get. I'm sure they feel that if tinkering is a priority the customer will either jailbreak or get an Android device. Their bottom line doesn't seem to be negatively affected. I was just wishing out loud I suppose.

from the Elegance

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

so there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note 5?

guess it's just me? :(

You have a great point actually! There's not really much besides the S Pen that the Note 5 has to separate itself from the iPhone 6 Plus now. I'm not a fan iPhone's software or hardware so I won't be waiting for the next iPhone but I will be waiting to see what LG and Nexus comes out with in the next few months.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

You have a great point actually! There's not really much besides the S Pen that the Note 5 has to separate itself from the iPhone 6 Plus now. I'm not a fan iPhone's software or hardware so I won't be waiting for the next iPhone but I will be waiting to see what LG and Nexus comes out with in the next few months.

I have the 6 plus. I would say the screen is a huge upgrade and selling point of the note 5 vs the iphone. The note 5 screen is amazing. I think if apple allowed widgets and more control of where icons are placed on the screen you would see a ton of android users move over.

simonsays33

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

I always said I would never use an iPhone. I tried the 6 plus and thought it hates it because of the lack of personalization. I went to the Galaxy S6 Edge. I traded in the Edge in 14 days. I couldn't stand the poor battery power, having to constantly turn off all the features I could just leave on my iPhone and just have it always ready to use, updates rolled out quickly, not having to worry about things like Stage Freight (hence the lock down of personalization)
I miss launchers, side loading apps and the slightly better camera. I love having a Smart phone that works without having to constantly adjust it, battery, almost equal camera despite the difference, not waiting incredibly long for updates...
Each phone has pros and cons. At this point of my life I am loving the iPhone. It just freaking works!!! I'm anxiously awaiting the better camera for the 6s Plus and the possible Force Touch and loving Apple Pay.
None of the current Android Phones away me back, as I just mainly have the pains of having to constantly adjust my settings all the time and have to wait months for important and not as important updates. They may seem like silly reasons to you, but to me and in my life, these are things that make and break the deal for Android. I've always hated the fragmentation, as I love the latest and greatest but got tired of having to root for it and potentially have to live with bugs to do so. (I so very love every dev at XDA and am grateful for them.)
Hopefully I can return to Android soon. (I miss the cheap apps as well! So many Apple apps aren't free.)
My mileage will vary from yours as these are my opinions and not yours.
Side note. My Edge had horrid battery. I had to keep most of my features off all the time to preserve battery. While it was a beautiful phone, trading off function was not worth it for me. I got an update from T Mo that was to help battery. While it did, it did not compare to the 18+ hour battery of the 6 plus. I never really noticed a difference in the Ram department, which is amazing since the two phones are vastly different. It amazes me how much Apple is able to do with less and still keep up with, if not pass (in some aspects) of the Android department.
Don't be afraid to try something new. Go in with a fresh mind and work with what you got. You may confirm you hate Apple, you may find it has some really freakin amazing features and is fun to use!
(Jail breaking is so freaking awesome and has so many amazing tweaks! They just come at a financial cost which I am not used to.)

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I have the 6 plus. I would say the screen is a huge upgrade and selling point of the note 5 vs the iphone. The note 5 screen is amazing. I think if apple allowed widgets and more control of where icons are placed on the screen you would see a ton of android users move over.

Those are things that separate the iPhone from Android. I know iPhone can do more now, but there's still a lot it can't do. I remember my manager went to look at the larger phones (iPlus and note) and the store clerk said if you're into computer programming get an Android. He got an iPlus. I said, "well it's more if you like to play around with your phone, you get an Android." I like that part of it. My first Android was the Droid 1. Only about 3 apps installed and I got to choose what I wanted on it. I loved that. But I like playing around with techy stuff. And other non-techy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463