Decisions - Nexus 6P or Samsung Note 5

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P or Note 5?

Easy if you think you will take advantage and use the S-Pen then the Note 5, otherwise nexus 6P especially now that Samsung dropped the microSD and removable battery.

SHIFT_nexus 6p

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

The 6p being bigger than the Note 5 will only affect aesthetics. It's tall but not wide so it has no affect on functionality. I'm 5'7 with average sized hands and have 0 problem handling it, in fact it's quite comfortable.

I had the Note 5 for 10 days prior to my 6p, both are great devices and you'll be happy with either. One thing I'd also add is the fingerprint sensor on the 6p is lightning fast and the speakers are great. Those are two things I never thought I'd care about but now they're mandatory.

Anyway, you laid it out pretty fairly. It seems like it comes down to how much that pen is worth to you. Personally, updates, TW, and as you mentioned, bloatware are the main reasons I'd prefer the 6p. Also, although the front bezels are tall, I love how there isn't any branding. And I keep mine in a case most times so rear aesthetics mean very little. In terms of aesthetics though, both are gorgeous phones.

Good luck!

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I do like the S Pen. However, I am not exactly sure if it justifies the $200 difference. The 128 gb is starting to grow more and more attractive (When I had the 32gb Note 5, I had 4 gb left within a week)

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

If you want my unvarnished opinion, I'm not a fan of Samsung phones. Full-disclosure, I've never owned one, but I know people who have/do. Me personally, I don't like TouchWiz. I like a clean OS, clean interface. I've heard about battery life issues (with the Galaxy 6, anyways). I also don't really like their design aesthetic (which is totally personal taste) And Samsung phones are expensive. I currently have a Nexus 5X. I'm going to return it for a 6P because I find the screen too small. But using the 5X has given me a peek into Marshmallow, which is just very clean and straightforward. The Nexus 6P gets glowing reviews. But, again, you mentioned the SPen. I have heard that people LOVE the SPen. It's totally unique to the Note. That could be the feature that tips the scale for you. I don't know if that helped? Just reply if you want to bounce more ideas.

Posted via the Android Central App

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Torn between Note 5 or Nexus 6P?

I agree with Christine, I am totally hooked on the Note 5 after trying the Note 4 and setting my Galaxy S5 on the shelf as a backup. I thought the Note 5 would be my backup and the SGS 5 would be primary but after a week I was hooked and haven't used the S5 since. Yes it's pricey but you get what you pay for and it has more horsepower than anything on the market.

However, if price is an issue get the cheaper phone. You won't be happy if it hurts your wallet.

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

Help me guys... I can't decide. I had the Note 5 for about 10 days (but I had to return it for a couple reasons). Now, I am looking for a new phone to buy before Christmas.

Why I like the Note 5:
1. S-Pen: I am a student, and for me the biggest draw is being able to write on microsoft word. Also really liked using it to browse the web and what not.
2. Design: Both front and back are beautiful. No complaints. I put a clear case on it so fingerprint/holding isn't an issue.
3. Fast. Upgraded from an iTouch 4 lol.
4. Beautiful, big screen. I watch a lot of TV shows on mobile.
5. So far, I have zero problems with Touch Whiz.
6. I actually really enjoy the speaker output (again, I am coming from a 5 year old iTouch so anything would so amazing after that)
7. Gear VR!
8. Camera? Didn't have a lot of chance to take pictures before I returned it.

Why Note 5 is not so good:
1. Pricey. I am going to buy the 64 GB version.
2. Bloatware from carrier. Shouldn't be too big of a problem with 64gb though.
3. Fingerprint scanner isn't SUPER amazing.

Why I like the Nexus 6P:
1. So cheap! I can get the 128 GB version and it will be around the same as the 32 GB Note 5.
2. Back design.
3. Zero carrier bloatware!

Why Nexus 6P is not so good:
1. Ugly front black design.
2. Big. I have big hands (one-hand Note 5 just ok), but the 6P seems really big.

If I can't make a decision, I will probably get a 6P and see if I like it better than Note 5, otherwise I'll just ship it back and get the Note 5 again.

****I'll be using this phone for at least 3 years. Which one will still be snappy, no defects, in that time? Keep in mind I don't care all that much about having the newest OS, but if that makes the phone last longer and faster, then I'll make it a priority.

I am a student just like you and I am absolutely in love with the s pen. If you are gonna keep your device for 3 years, take nexus 6p since you are guaranteed for software updates. Nonetheless, for me, I choose note 5 over the 6p :).

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I am a student just like you and I am absolutely in love with the s pen. If you are gonna keep your device for 3 years, take nexus 6p since you are guaranteed for software updates. Nonetheless, for me, I choose note 5 over the 6p :).

I don't really care about the big updates, but will the Note 5 be continuously updated on its current OS? (Like, 5.1.1, 5.1.2, bug fixes etc etc) That's how it was on iOS, not sure about Android.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

If you want my unvarnished opinion, I'm not a fan of Samsung phones. Full-disclosure, I've never owned one, but I know people who have/do. Me personally, I don't like TouchWiz. I like a clean OS, clean interface. I've heard about battery life issues (with the Galaxy 6, anyways). I also don't really like their design aesthetic (which is totally personal taste) And Samsung phones are expensive. I currently have a Nexus 5X. I'm going to return it for a 6P because I find the screen too small. But using the 5X has given me a peek into Marshmallow, which is just very clean and straightforward. The Nexus 6P gets glowing reviews. But, again, you mentioned the SPen. I have heard that people LOVE the SPen. It's totally unique to the Note. That could be the feature that tips the scale for you. I don't know if that helped? Just reply if you want to bounce more ideas.

Is there a separate music and video app on the 6P? Or is it just Google stuff?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

One other thing to keep in mind with the nexus is the ability to root and install custom ROMs.

I know that isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I also enjoy the s-pen and s-note. If the nexus had something comparable to those I'd buy the nexus every time.

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site

I debated the 2 and settled on the Note 5 after a $200 best buy gift card promotion bringing the prices more inline. I hate that the 64GB version is $100 more on the Note but I sucked it up and paid it. Don't care much about the bloat because I use a 3rd party launcher (Nova) and can hide/mute almost everything anyway. I'd say I'm very happy I went with the Note:
I don't use the pen often, but when I do...it's amazing to have
The battery life is better than I expected
The camera is AMAZING and I love the Pro mode and other options that is has vs the 6P which is mostly only auto
It's a well received design and name so you feel like you have a premium device
Every day I find a cool feature or ability so not all the bloat is bad
The size is much more manageable. Coming from a Note 3 I am used to large phones but the 6P is just too tall
I prefer the fingerprint scanner on the front. I work at a desk with my phone face up beside me...fingerprint sensors on the back don't work well for that. If your phone is in your pocket, the back fingerprint isn't as bad.
The Note is consistent...I can count on a nice Note 6 and Note 7 for an upgrade path. Nexus is really hit and miss with no consistency at all. Who knows what the next Nexus size/look/manufacture/features/price will be. They are all over the place. I had the Nexus 7 and 10 which did not receive an updated model at all with the Nexus 9 having a completely different style/market and even aspect ratio. Switched to the Samsung Tab S and now I can count out upgrades.

I wish the speaker was a bit better and having 6.0 would be nice...but most of the good features are outside of the OS now so it's no as big a deal...I can wait 2 months. Overall I am very happy with the Note 5. The 6P is certainly the best Nexus and a great phone for the price, but ultimately the Note 5 is a more complete system and better device.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

Pelt, get the Nexus 6P, which is a nice looking device and save yourself some $$$. Size wise, the 6P is only about a 1/4 in taller, the width and thickness is almost the same. PURE Android. BEST fingerprint scanner. Dare to be different.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

There are a bunch of other music and video apps on the Playstore that are better than any of the proloaded apps from manufactures.

For video, try VLC, it's a really good video player

With the Google music/video apps, will I be able to transfer my own files over?

Yeah, I have used VLC, used it to watch mkv files because the native video app on Note 5 had troubles playing it with subs

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I'd probably get the note.
-S-pen will be very useful for ya
-n5 will get marshmallow maybe the version after. So if you do keep this for 3 years, you'll only be behind one version. Even on lollipop it runs pretty good. So I wouldn't worry about android upgrades. Maybe even worry about them if anything.
-the 6p is made by a company I'm personally not comfortable giving hundreds of dollars too yet.

Jedroid

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Choices choices. Came from an S6 edge not a note 5 but still Samsung. Yes the 6P is tall but still manageable. Even with my smallish hands. TouchWiz is a good UI but put Nova Launcher on the 6P and it blows it away in my opinion. Samsung does have a lot of bloat ware but it's not all useless. Side sync is pretty awesome but you can just use AirDroid on the 6P. The note does have S-pen but the battery and speed on the 6P is second to none. Again my opinion. Basically what I'm trying to say is anything Samsung can do Nexus can do better with a long list of great apps to help you do it better. Plus regular updates for added security. You have to ask yourself how bad do you want that pen. Oh yeah that awesome pen can break the phone if you haven't heard. LOL sorry I had to.

Sirromey

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site

6p is a wafer of a phone. Screen is a poor man's note 5. I had a nexus before, having the latest software is not always a good thing. Bugs galore when lollipop was first pushed out, made my nexus run like crap. Random reboots and crashes became the norm.

The note 5 already has doze like features to optimize apps when not in use and samsung is making battery improvements all the time. I just received another software update yesterday on my N920c to further improve battery life and security. People in the states should get it soon.

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

If you plan to keep it for 3 yrs get the 6p I have the Note 4 now and you'll quickly get tired of waiting for the next os update.
Plus you'll most likely only get 2 updates with the Note 5. The 6p should be updated for the next 4 yrs or so.