Decisions - Nexus 6P or Samsung Note 5

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P or Note 5?

If you plan to keep it for 3 yrs get the 6p I have the Note 4 now and you'll quickly get tired of waiting for the next os update.
Plus you'll most likely only get 2 updates with the Note 5. The 6p should be updated for the next 4 yrs or so.

I'd get the 6p regardless, unless the pen is worth the extra $200 to you, but yeah, if you plan on keeping it for a significant amount of time (I'd say 2 years instead of 3) then I'd definitely recommend the 6p. In addition to updates, TW would tire on me, and it wouldn't be unheard of for a Samsung phone to experience a bit more lag after 12-18 months, though that remains to be seen with the Note 5.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Wow this sucks. Now I am even more torn because I like the pen, I think it will be really useful for school (but I'll have a laptop with me so I am not sure how much I would actually use word/PDFs on Note 5). But I am also attracted to the cheaper price and all the good things I've heard about the software in the 6P. Keep in mind though, from my completely unbiased view coming from iOS fresh into Android, I quite liked TW. My sister bought a Moto G which seems to be very similar to Stock Android, and I immediately was put off a little. That was from like 1 minute of use though (however TW impressed me from the start).

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Torn between Note 5 or Nexus 6P?

Obviously there's no issue with the 6P, but does it matter which carrier I buy the Note 5 from? I had the Verizon version, but if I get the Note 5 again I want to get the T-Mobile 64GB Gold (or black) since it has no ugly branding. I am buying the device outright without a plan (want a prepaid for now until I move out)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Wow this sucks. Now I am even more torn because I like the pen, I think it will be really useful for school (but I'll have a laptop with me so I am not sure how much I would actually use word/PDFs on Note 5). But I am also attracted to the cheaper price and all the good things I've heard about the software in the 6P. Keep in mind though, from my completely unbiased view coming from iOS fresh into Android, I quite liked TW. My sister bought a Moto G which seems to be very similar to Stock Android, and I immediately was put off a little. That was from like 1 minute of use though (however TW impressed me from the start).

keep in mind that stock will be completely customizable, so the experience you had on your sister's Moto G won't be the same as your phone after you install all your apps/widgets and launcher. And nothing personal against the Moto G, and I know you're just talking about software, but the 2 phones aren't in the same ballpark. The pen is nice, but for classroom use how much will you really need it, especially if you have the laptop.

you've had the Note 5 so you can always grab the 6p, see how you like it, and if you prefer the Note just return Nexus before the 14 days is up. on the flip side, if you liked it that much I'm sure you can find somewhere else to store all your music/video. 128 is definitely nice but it's not like there aren't alternatives.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

keep in mind that stock will be completely customizable, so the experience you had on your sister's Moto G won't be the same as your phone after you install all your apps/widgets and launcher. And nothing personal against the Moto G, and I know you're just talking about software, but the 2 phones aren't in the same ballpark. The pen is nice, but for classroom use how much will you really need it, especially if you have the laptop.

you've had the Note 5 so you can always grab the 6p, see how you like it, and if you prefer the Note just return Nexus before the 14 days is up. on the flip side, if you liked it that much I'm sure you can find somewhere else to store all your music/video. 128 is definitely nice but it's not like there aren't alternatives.

Yeah that seems to be the only way for me to make a decision. Good thing right now Google has the extended return period of about 1 month.

I'll probably go for the 64GB or 128 GB. I did try Cloud, mostly used it for photos and documents, but I need my videos offline, I avoid streaming as much as I can.

Also, do you know how much space the OS takes up? On the Note 5 it was like 8/9 GBs which was painful.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Obviously there's no issue with the 6P, but does it matter which carrier I buy the Note 5 from? I had the Verizon version, but if I get the Note 5 again I want to get the T-Mobile 64GB Gold (or black) since it has no ugly branding. I am buying the device outright without a plan (want a prepaid for now until I move out)

I'm so upset with Verizon for not offering the gold Note 5 in a 64GB configuration. It makes no sense that you can only get 64GB in Sapphire.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that seems to be the only way for me to make a decision. Good thing right now Google has the extended return period of about 1 month.

I'll probably go for the 64GB or 128 GB. I did try Cloud, mostly used it for photos and documents, but I need my videos offline, I avoid streaming as much as I can.

Also, do you know how much space the OS takes up? On the Note 5 it was like 8/9 GBs which was painful.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...ow-much-usable-memory-available-nexus-6p.html

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Look at your list... 8 pros for the Note 5, you could only come up with 3 for the 6P. You're leaning Note 5, just pull the trigger!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

If I could go out this morning and drop full retail coin on 1 of the 2 it would be the 6P. I've come to the conclusion that I'll only use a Moto device or a Nexus if I'm using an Android!

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Looks like you are leaning towards the Note 5 but one thing you didn't mention was updates. You said you will keep the phone for 3 years. Once the Note 6 comes out, updates will be slow (especially if you are on VZW). I had a Note 4 and it was still on 5.0. I just upgraded to the Nexus one of the reasons I did that was updates (security). I agree, the camera on a Samsung phone is fantastic but my friend has had the Nexus for 3 weeks and loves the phone.

Either way both phones are awesome. Good luck with your choice !

zagcollins

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

used a note 2 for three years and now on a 6P. Loved the Note to bits, but loving the 6P as well. Can't go wrong either way. All the chatter about 6P being frail and having a crappy screen is bollocks.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Look at your list... 8 pros for the Note 5, you could only come up with 3 for the 6P. You're leaning Note 5, just pull the trigger!

That's because I've only used the Note 5 though... And apparently a lot of the pros on the Note 5 like the screen and speed and also be found on the 6P/

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Ok I think I'll get the 6P to see what the fuss is all about and take advantage of the extended return period if needed. It will save me $200 save taxes, but still. It being cheaper will probably make it easier to switch in 2 years, whereas if I get the Note 5 I would hesitate to switch even after 3 years because I would have to drop so much moolahs on the 64gb.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Ok I think I'll get the 6P to see what the fuss is all about and take advantage of the extended return period if needed. It will save me $200 save taxes, but still. It being cheaper will probably make it easier to switch in 2 years, whereas if I get the Note 5 I would hesitate to switch even after 3 years because I would have to drop so much moolahs on the 64gb.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. You can try the N6P and see how it works out and if all the pros you listed for the Note 5 begin gnawing away at the price resistance in your subconscious you still will have time to upgrade.

I bought the Note 5 as a backup for my Galaxy S5 which was giving me problems with opening PDF files. I figured I would use the Note 5 for a couple of weeks, fix up the S5 and then switch back or switch back and forth as needed. Only problem was I got hooked on the Note 5. Now the S5 sits on the dresser lonely and unused. Being in business, I can't live without the ability to take notes quickly, even on the lock screen. For me, that one feature alone makes it worthwhile to abandon the S5 and keep the Note 5. Expensive, sure, but the value derived from the S Pen (and all the other features on the Note 5) outweigh the cost - for me. That is how my thinking went and that decision must be weighed with your personal situation in mind of course.

Keep in mind you will always find a way to make an extra few bucks and if you amortize the $200 increase in price over 3 years it only amounts to an extra $1.28 a week. I think any smart guy like yourself could find a way to make - or save - $1.28 a week. Don't let the money stop you IF you decide to go the other way. :)

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Sounds like a reasonable plan. You can try the N6P and see how it works out and if all the pros you listed for the Note 5 begin gnawing away at the price resistance in your subconscious you still will have time to upgrade.

I bought the Note 5 as a backup for my Galaxy S5 which was giving me problems with opening PDF files. I figured I would use the Note 5 for a couple of weeks, fix up the S5 and then switch back or switch back and forth as needed. Only problem was I got hooked on the Note 5. Now the S5 sits on the dresser lonely and unused. Being in business, I can't live without the ability to take notes quickly, even on the lock screen. For me, that one feature alone makes it worthwhile to abandon the S5 and keep the Note 5. Expensive, sure, but the value derived from the S Pen (and all the other features on the Note 5) outweigh the cost - for me. That is how my thinking went and that decision must be weighed with your personal situation in mind of course.

Keep in mind you will always find a way to make an extra few bucks and if you amortize the $200 increase in price over 3 years it only amounts to an extra $1.28 a week. I think any smart guy like yourself could find a way to make - or save - $1.28 a week. Don't let the money stop you IF you decide to go the other way. :)

One thing you said that made no sense was that you bought a Note 5 as a... Backup? Haha. Anyways, yeah, everything else you said I'll keep in mind.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

One thing you said that made no sense was that you bought a Note 5 as a... Backup? Haha. Anyways, yeah, everything else you said I'll keep in mind.
Perhaps "backup" was a poor choice of words. "Temporary Replacement" might have been a better choice. What I was thinking was that I would get the Note 5, and take my time doing a factory reset and customization of the Galaxy S5, which to me is a real pain in the arse. I figured if I had a different phone, not only could I try out the latest technology but I would have the buyer's remorse period to set up my SGS 5 before returning the Note 5 for a full refund.

My plan was good except I didn't foresee falling in love with the Note 5 because I was totally happy with the SGS 5. The multitasking, gorgeous screen, quality feel and the S-Pen quickly got me hooked.

Good luck your new device, use it in good health whichever phone you end up with! :cool:

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
It has been awhile since I have posted here, but I ultimately ended up with the Note 5. Others have posted their pros and cons. There were three things that ended up swaying me in the end.
  • Snote and Spen. I have used this feature not extensively, but when I do, it is extremely helpful.
  • Wireless charging. Seemed a little superfluous initially, but I would say this is a compelling feature for me, and any phone I get going forward will have to have this capability. Lots of people have had issues with wireless charging, but I have not. Have two fast chargers, they work great. My older phone had its charging plug get pretty loose over the years, so this is a strong improvement.
  • Otterbox Defender. When I made my decision, only the Note 5 had an Otterbox available, not the Nexus 6P. (Maybe that changed by now, but at the time, Otterbox was not indicating they would provide one for the Nexus.) As my work is both inside in front of a computer and climbing around wind turbines and construction sites, I needed that extra physical protection.

After a few months of use, I would not want to give up any of these features.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance