Decisions - Nexus 6P or Samsung Note 5

ordivergens

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Got the Gold 64 GB Note 5 from tmo. It was even cheaper than I thought. It was only 670 (less than 32 gb models from other places). I will be keeping this one and sending the 6P back. I must be the only one, but I prefer TW to Stock.

To be honest, after using the Note 5 for a while now, stock Marshmallow seems a bit bare and minimalist. I really like the little extras Samsung has put in TW. I miss TW when I use the 6P... I wasn't expecting this. I thought I would dislike all the extra bloat, but I was basing that on the older TW versions from Gingerbread.

So I got a V10 to try as well :)

It is a solid phone, heavy (I like that), replaceable battery, ir blaster, micro sd card, and the camera is awesome. Not sure about the second screen yet. Unfortunately I dislike the UI from LG. Everything is ridiculously big and blown up on the screen. Not as elegant as TW. I will probably return this.

I am wondering if I should return my international N5 and get a tmo Note 5, that way I could get Wifi calling, VoLTE, Samsung Pay, etc.

Did tmo add a lot of their apps to the Note? Did they disable app optimization that Samsung recently added? How do you like it so far?

$670 is a great price for the 64GB N5, and it looks like we can get 1 year of Netflix as well from tmo. Tempted to get this tomorrow...

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
To be honest, after using the Note 5 for a while now, stock Marshmallow seems a bit bare and minimalist. I really like the little extras Samsung has put in TW. I miss TW when I use the 6P... I wasn't expecting this. I thought I would dislike all the extra bloat, but I was basing that on the older TW versions from Gingerbread.

So I got a V10 to try as well :)

It is a solid phone, heavy (I like that), replaceable battery, ir blaster, micro sd card, and the camera is awesome. Not sure about the second screen yet. Unfortunately I dislike the UI from LG. Everything is ridiculously big and blown up on the screen. Not as elegant as TW. I will probably return this.

I am wondering if I should return my international N5 and get a tmo Note 5, that way I could get Wifi calling, VoLTE, Samsung Pay, etc.

Did tmo add a lot of their apps to the Note? Did they disable app optimization that Samsung recently added? How do you like it so far?

$670 is a great price for the 64GB N5, and it looks like we can get 1 year of Netflix as well from tmo. Tempted to get this tomorrow...

I wish I can just give you a screen shot, but I am not allowed to post pictures for some reason...
none of the bloat can be uninstalled, some can be disabled.
A rough list. There's the tmo account, tmo tv, voicemail, a Microsoft suite (you get 2 years of 100 gb free storage to go with it), Google apps, Samsung Pay, s health, Samsung +, milk... Facebook comes with just the app icon so you have to install it yourself if you need it) disabled some but kept most because I use them anyway.
All in all, it's about 1gb less free storage than the 64GB 6p, so it's really not bad. I thought less bloat would be more exciting, but it's really not a big deal for me anymore.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
App optimization is a go on tmo.
I really like it. Felt right at home. The notification bar, the settings, the lock screen customizations, the briefing (yes, I actually use it), the beautiful design, the app folders... good to have these back.

ordivergens

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I wish I can just give you a screen shot, but I am not allowed to post pictures for some reason...
none of the bloat can be uninstalled, some can be disabled.
A rough list. There's the tmo account, tmo tv, voicemail, a Microsoft suite (you get 2 years of 100 gb free storage to go with it), Google apps, Samsung Pay, s health, Samsung +, milk... Facebook comes with just the app icon so you have to install it yourself if you need it) disabled some but kept most because I use them anyway.
All in all, it's about 1gb less free storage than the 64GB 6p, so it's really not bad. I thought less bloat would be more exciting, but it's really not a big deal for me anymore.

That's not too bad. I can live with that.

App optimization is a go on tmo.
I really like it. Felt right at home. The notification bar, the settings, the lock screen customizations, the briefing (yes, I actually use it), the beautiful design, the app folders... good to have these back.

Sounds great! Looks like tmo doesn't mess with the firmware as much as Verizon and AT&T like to do, so that is a good thing. I use the briefing as well :).

Well, looks like I will be getting me a new N5 tomorrow :).

6P, V10 and the international N5 are going back. I think I will keep the 950 XL, I am liking Windows 10 Mobile.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
That's not too bad. I can live with that.

Sounds great! Looks like tmo doesn't mess with the firmware as much as Verizon and AT&T like to do, so that is a good thing. I use the briefing as well :).

Well, looks like I will be getting me a new N5 tomorrow :).

6P, V10 and the international N5 are going back. I think I will keep the 950 XL, I am liking Windows 10 Mobile.

I hope I helped you choose the one that you really want.

I will stay clear of these forums after this. The Note was the phone I wanted for months, but then this forum happened and made me second guess myself.

Really happy to hold this in my hands. Next time, I will follow my own heart instead of letting others mess with it. <------ sorry for the cheese but it's true lol :)

Sent from my Note 5. Happy holidays!

ordivergens

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I hope I helped you choose the one that you really want.

I will stay clear of these forums after this. The Note was the phone I wanted for months, but then this forum happened and made me second guess myself.

Really happy to hold this in my hands. Next time, I will follow my own heart instead of letting others mess with it. <------ sorry for the cheese but it's true lol :)

Sent from my Note 5. Happy holidays!

Your help is very much appreciated man!

It's funny, I would never have tried the N5 if I didn't read these forums :), but now that I have actually tried a N5 for a good few weeks, I like it a lot more than the 6P. Samsung has really improved their products these days.

However, now that I have decided on the 950 XL and the N5 (I have managed to convince myself (somehow, like Christmas and birthday presents combined maybe :) ) that I am ok with buying both phones outright), I think I too will steer clear of these forums. Don't want to get the urge to try yet another phone.

Enjoy your Note and the holidays!

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the note 4, I am really surprised at how samsung nailed their phones this year. The note 5 is crazy fast, the multitasking button and switching apps delay are all gone !

Ali Nagdy

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 6p or Note 5

Hi eveey one....
Its my first thread here in android central
I am wondering which should i buy Nexus 6p or note 5

I am having Xperia Z Ultra now 6.4 screen
I want a device that can continue with me 3 years
I am from egypt so buying from amazon or any website on Internet is a bit hard for me actually i can't so i found in our market in egypt that
Note 5 32gb for 550$
Nexus 6p 64gb for 630$

I like nexus design so much its new unique design i like the bar in the back with the camera and the nexus logo and the dual speakersssss and ita 64gb and come with it some gifts ( flip cover 8$, screen protector 8$, 1 meter cable usb type C to Standard cable for computer 15$)

The NOTE have a better camera more ram a nice pin ( Useless for me) better display i found in YouTube that its much brighter than 6p and i think a better processor than 6p

Now my use is:
All social media apps listening to music playing games and using a camera but not very much ( always use auto or HDR))

Now u want a device that wont come after a year and start lag my xperia never lag its very smooth but i want to change

So please tell me your opinion guys and if there is a better device tell me

THANKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt