Nexus 6P vs. DROID TURBO 2

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Was anyone else waiting to compare with the Droid Turbo 2?

to be fair, the Lollipop update last year on the '14 Moto X was a disaster... it seemed like they rushed it to the phone just to say it was out. I had the 14 X at the time and the 5.0 update was almost unusable (for me, anyway).

VZW 5.0 worked just fine for me. Did do a factory reset after install.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Silence = silence. Not listed here. They could've said something, anything. Just silence.

The phone was just announced. Not even released to consumers yet. It's understandable in my opinion that it not be listed on the upgrade page today.

Feel free to assume. You know what happens when...

Assume? Not sure you should be making any comments like that on anyone else's assumptions.

Based on their silence it's reasonable to assume these new devices will never get 6.0. Moto deserves scorn for their silence and buyers deserve to be warned.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

VZW 5.0 worked just fine for me. Did do a factory reset after install.

I did ;) not my first android experience. I had the Pure Edition then on AT&T, 5.0 sucked. Some googling would show you I wasn't the only one.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I bought a Verizon Moto E (which did get updated from 5.0 to 5.1) for $40. :)

the phone was $40 or the update? ;) Would be pretty funny if they decided to charge for the updates that people are clamoring for.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

the phone was $40 or the update? ;) Would be pretty funny if they decided to charge for the updates that people are clamoring for.

lol.The phone.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

I'd consider a Turbo2, no wait.
It's got carrier bloat. It has a locked bootloader.

Never mind......

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

First, thanks Ry for moving and re-titling this thread. I hadn't actually thought of it as a "war" thread, but I guess we had to start one somewhere. ;)

And, what an eye opener about Motorola. I was aware of some of the issues raised so far, and I did notice the rather odd treatment of the OS during the launch event, but wasn't aware of any extreme delays in OS upgrades, or some of the other issues. Then again, I'm on Verizon, so I'm used to long delays in OS updates ..., and then having the updates break my phone once they push them out. Another reason I'm going Nexus this time ... unless the M10 is launched before the 6P arrives and actually possesses all the rumored features, which I highly doubt.

Now I just have to find some way to occupy my time until it's back in stock.

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

;)

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

I love my Droid Maxx (it's the best phone i have ever owned.)but Moto is not the same company anymore since google sold it.

That is why i'll be moving on to the Nexus program. I've had to many phone that have just sucked with no hopes of updates, and with a nexus phone they will do their best to work out the bugs. Plus i get to stay on the Verizon Network (works best for me). I will miss the Moto Connect software and texting from my computers hehe.

oh plus adjusting to new phone size will be fun:

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I love my Droid Maxx (it's the best phone i have ever owned.)but Moto is not the same company anymore since google sold it.

That is why i'll be moving on to the Nexus program. I've had to many phone that have just sucked with no hopes of updates, and with a nexus phone they will do their best to work out the bugs. Plus i get to stay on the Verizon Network (work best for me). I will miss the Moto Connect software and texting from my computers hehe.

oh plus adjusting to new phone size will be fun:

View attachment 203418

Moto Connect's Chrome Extension isn't available for the new Motorola devices going forward.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Silence = silence. Not listed here. They could've said something, anything. Just silence.

This makes the mistake of thinking Motorola has anything to do with the software or services on a phone built to Verizon specifications.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Another in the list of Motorola slow updates (though Verizon could have something to do with it) - the Droid Maxx. We were promised Lollipop. Still sitting on 4.4.4, and nothing but silence as far as I've heard from Moto. I'm still very tempted by the Turbo2. I'd probably have already ordered a Nexus 6P if I could do the payment plan via Verizon. Still debating whether to scrounge the cash for an outright purchase, but being able to pay for the Turbo2 over 2 years interest free is tempting.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Nice pic for size comparison. I'm switching from the Maxx to 6P as well. Needed something foxfi worked on and I'm not a big fan of manufacturer's skins. Figured I'd give Nexus a try since it looks like a pretty solid phone and can be used with big red.

For texting on the computer get the Verizon messenger if you can. I've been using it for quite a while now. I was hesitent at first since it's Verizon, but it is really good and you can sync messages to a tablet or pc

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

This makes the mistake of thinking Motorola has anything to do with the software or services on a phone built to Verizon specifications.

You mean like the OG Turbo, which Motorola does speak for on it's update page?

...adding, either way, VZW or Moto, silence is still silence. Buyer beware.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

You mean like the OG Turbo, which Motorola does speak for on it's update page?

...adding, either way, VZW or Moto, silence is still silence. Buyer beware.

Anything on Motorola's support pages for a Droid branded phone was placed there by Verizon. Motorola can't even mention the word Droid without permission.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

For texting on the computer get the Verizon messenger if you can. I've been using it for quite a while now. I was hesitent at first since it's Verizon, but it is really good and you can sync messages to a tablet or pc

I think you mean Verizon Messages and yes it's very good. Feature rich, very customizable and syncs across Android, iOS, Windows and Mac platforms.

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

do they have chrome app or do i need to be signed into the website to use VZW Messenger?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

do they have chrome app or do i need to be signed into the website to use VZW Messenger?

I believe they now have stand alone apps for install on Windows and OSX. Haven't used them so can't vouch for them. Or you can do web-based sign-in on the VZW website.