Nexus 6P vs iPhone 6s

master500

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6p or IPhone 6s Plus

I have owed the 6p for just over 3 weeks. No glass issues at all. Even after a drop. Don't believe all the blogs which are trying to get clicks. Of course the iPhone is a great phone too. You can't go wrong either way.

Posted via the Android Central App

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

The nexus 6p. Not saying anything wrong with the iPhone but next to my nexus 6p it looks cheap and the ui look stale. In all both phones are good.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

For hardware it's pretty much a wash, both are exquisite phones at the top of their game here with a few notable differences -
6S+ has OIS, 6p does not. For still photos both are on even ground, but the OIS will allow for more stable video recording on the move.
  • The 6p has an edge on the 6S+ for display resolution
  • The speakers on the 6p are louder
  • The 6p uses android on screen buttons, the 6S+ uses the same physical home button iPhones always have. I prefer the former personally.
  • The 6p charges faster

On to software, this is where things really differ in many respects because we're obviously talking about 2 different OS's here and your preference is going to be the deciding factor. The one thing both share in common is that neither phone holds an advantage over the other for a fast and smooth experience. But there are several key points about iOS that I dislike -

• Sharing data between apps on iOS is still atrocious. This is old news though, you've been allowed to share just about anything to any app on Android for ages, while Apple has staunchly refused to budge on this for just as long.
  • Similar to the above, there's no control of file management on iOS. I can't stand that. Everything must be managed according to the apps that control those 'files' and/or through iTunes. This is such a needlessly outdated way of managing data.
  • I prefer Android notification handling and overall notification pane layout.
  • Google Now remains better than Siri. I really expected that this was the year Apple would pull a rabbit out of the hat with a surprise Siri overhaul but they didn't. They did add some contextual awareness improvements but not enough to fully bridge the gap between the two.
  • Still no freedom to set default apps in iOS
  • 3D touch after the initial hype wore off turned out to be kind of underwhelming. I see this feature as something that's in its transition phase. Now were Apple to really focus on it in the future and use it to drive an entirely new method of navigating the iOS UI by getting rid of the physical home button that would be pretty groundbreaking for them, but that's not now.
  • Unfortunately for Apple, their efforts to close the feature disparity in the last few versions has also ensured that iPhones now have just as much of a share of their own bug issues to deal with now

tl;dr version: Both are at the top of the smartphone food chain and my above points are all fairly techie reasons which most buyers will won't care about whatsoever. I'm simply presenting my POV from a techie standpoint because of where we're having this discussion. If I were to mention most of my reasons for preferring the 6p to a friend or coworker who never sets foot on sites like this (and I have) I'm usually met by a shrug, blank stare and a "yeah so?" response ;)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
For hardware it's pretty much a wash, both are exquisite phones at the top of their game here with a few notable differences -
6S+ has OIS, 6p does not. For still photos both are on even ground, but the OIS will allow for more stable video recording on the move.
  • The 6p has an edge on the 6S+ for display resolution
  • The speakers on the 6p are louder
  • The 6p uses android on screen buttons, the 6S+ uses the same physical home button iPhones always have. I prefer the former personally.
  • The 6p charges faster

On to software, this is where things really differ in many respects because we're obviously talking about 2 different OS's here and your preference is going to be the deciding factor. The one thing both share in common is that neither phone holds an advantage over the other for a fast and smooth experience. But there are several key points about iOS that I dislike -

• Sharing data between apps on iOS is still atrocious. This is old news though, you've been allowed to share just about anything to any app on Android for ages, while Apple has staunchly refused to budge on this for just as long.
  • Similar to the above, there's no control of file management on iOS. I can't stand that. Everything must be managed according to the apps that control those 'files' and/or through iTunes. This is such a needlessly outdated way of managing data.
  • I prefer Android notification handling and overall notification pane layout.
  • Google Now remains better than Siri. I really expected that this was the year Apple would pull a rabbit out of the hat with a surprise Siri overhaul but they didn't. They did add some contextual awareness improvements but not enough to fully bridge the gap between the two.
  • Still no freedom to set default apps in iOS
  • 3D touch after the initial hype wore off turned out to be kind of underwhelming. I see this feature as something that's in its transition phase. Now were Apple to really focus on it in the future and use it to drive an entirely new method of navigating the iOS UI by getting rid of the physical home button that would be pretty groundbreaking for them, but that's not now.
  • Unfortunately for Apple, their efforts to close the feature disparity in the last few versions has also ensured that iPhones now have just as much of a share of their own bug issues to deal with now

tl;dr version: Both are at the top of the smartphone food chain and my above points are all fairly techie reasons which most buyers will won't care about whatsoever. I'm simply presenting my POV from a techie standpoint because of where we're having this discussion. If I were to mention most of my reasons for preferring the 6p to a friend or coworker who never sets foot on sites like this (and I have) I'm usually met by a shrug, blank stare and a "yeah so?" response ;)

Nice comparison. I do think 3D touch the next big feature and think it is awesome. I thought it was gimmicky at first, but the more I use it, the more I like it. Obviously the more apps that are updated, the more useful it is. Just yesterday Amazon and One Drive added 3D support to their apps. Just a matter of time before google and other do as well. I see it as a time saver making me more productive.

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Nice comparison. I do think 3D touch the next big feature and think it is awesome. I thought it was gimmicky at first, but the more I use it l, the more I like it. Obviously the more apps that are updated, the more useful it is. Just yesterday Amazon and One Drive added 3D support to their apps. Just a matter of time before google and other do as well. I see it as a time save making me more productive.

Thanks, I tried to get into 3D touch and in the past have explored other types of shortcuts into app functions, but every time I did I kept experiencing more and more occasions where I would say to myself, "oh wait, I also want to do such-and-such as well" and ended up fully inside the app anyway. Admittedly this is a personal thing with me but it's just how I prefer to do things. For example, you know that quick-reply function to an SMS you can use in the notification pane? I never use it lol.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I also find the flick up from the bottom for quick settings easier on a large screen iPhone versus the pull down from the top in android, or at least my thumb likes it better!

I must say however that the quick charge on the 6P is pretty sweet! iPhone charges at snail speed compared the the Nexus 6P!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

the question is totally changed in discussion :)

Nexus 6P got black finish for it's new camera makes it looks better. And it's not scratch resistance and it may break.

Just use some best cases out there in market. It's your choice android lover or IOS lover (Y)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

OP, are you still leaning towards the 6P? It's a good device that I think you'd like. However, I would definitely try and get more for your 6S+ as it's likely worth more if it's in good condition. It'll be good if you can purchase the 6P and have a little extra to use towards accessories if possible.

Keep us posted on your decision.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

It comes down to preference. They're both awesome in their own regard. I'm going to have the option to upgrade in a few days and I'm on the fence too. Some things I like about ios better, some Android things I like better. I like the simple layout of ios not having to setup a bunch of screens. Their support can't be beat as far as warranty etc. Cloud synching of app data / pics is great too. I really like all of ios built in apps. The notes / reminders apps are just dead simple. Google keep works too but its just overly complicated because I'm always trying to hurry through things. Android will always have easier file transfers, more accessibility to do what you want with your phone. Ie playing emulators or torrents. I like how Google's services are executed on Android phones. Gmail is awful on ios you can have it on native mail client on apple and get your emails every 15 min or use the ever so slow and awful gmail app on ios. Sorry for the unorganized thoughts was just trying to brainstorm some of the things you don't really think of when making quick phone comparisons..

digitaldroid

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

I have been with androids since the iphone 3G and have never looked back. I love my Nexus 6P this is my first Nexus phone, don't let the bending or cracking stories discourage you from buying the phone. All phones have issues there was even the bendgate thing with iphone 6s. So I ignored the whole bending issue and purchased one. I received my Nexus 6P on Nov. 6th and went naked with it for about a week until my spigen case arrived then a few days later I installed a tempured glass protector. No bends or issues at all, and if I ever put it in a pocket its normally inside coat pocket or backpocket for a few minutes, I never sit on it while in my back pocket. Also never put in front pocket.

The build quality is great! The pure google OS is awesome and love the camera. I also have the 64GB Aluminum version. Almost 3 weeks now with it and very happy.

Any questions let me know.

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The beauty of diversity is the we can choose what we want in terms of ecosystems. This is no longer a decision of OS's anymore, but more of ecosystems. Is not that simple by just looking at the apps a store offers, but at the ecosystem behind it that we can make the decision (I will sound like Adam Smith, the father of economics, when I say the following) as intelligent as possible.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm. Sorry but the nexus 6p is a fabulous device but it still offers little to the plate vs that of Samsung... No other device has came close to replacing everyday items or basic tasks like Samsung...

1. Most advanced and accepted way to mobile pay . . . .

I disagree with the first part unless advanced means less secure. Samsung bought and integrated LoopPay which simulates the magnetic stripe of a traditional card swipe. It offers no protection against credit card skimmers. Android Pay tokenizies the credit card information, and that's a strong step forward in terms of payment transaction security. So, yes, Samsung Pay is widely accepted because it can be used with traditional magnetic stripe terminals. But, no, it's not advanced because it offers no more protection than swiping a traditional card.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Better than iPhone 6s Plus?

I have been back and forth from android and iOS multiple times. Held a friends nexus 6p and fell in love. The build quality was gorgeous and so was the screen.

Has anyone made the switch and regret it ? Love it ? Let me know ! :)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've used iPhone on and off for years. I've always managed to grab or borrow one when my phone was being repaired or if the screen cracked. The only thing I'd miss is force touch, which I love. Other than that, I think the 6p has it beat in every category. And even if your embedded in iOS, there's enough apps to make Android compatible and seamless. I have a MacBook and iPad, also a Dell XPS and Chromebook, and bouncing between all my devices is simple. I do enjoy tinkering though, and like things a very specific way, so unless you just want to take it out of the box and be on your way, I'd go 6p.

And BTW, that out of the box statement, the 6p is probably as close as Android has ever gotten to what Apple does best in that department. You'll need to install your preferred apps, but other than that you won't have to tinker much for your phone to run smooth. By contrast, the S6 needed a ton of disabling/tinkering just to get halfway decent battery life. That's not the case with the 6p.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Better than iPhone 6s Plus?

Yes and no. If you like Android then its better but if you like iOS then iPhone is better.

Besides software, I love my Nexus 6P. By far the best Android phone I have had. Very smooth. No skins and updates from Google.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I have been back and forth from android and iOS multiple times. Held a friends nexus 6p and fell in love. The build quality was gorgeous and so was the screen.

Has anyone made the switch and regret it ? Love it ? Let me know ! :)

"Better" is subjective. If you're a fan of iOS, the 6S Plus is better. If you're a fan of Android, the 6P is better.

I don't like iOS. I hate how photos and music go through iTunes. I hate how there isn't much room for customizing the phone. I hate that the 64GB iPhone 6s plus costs $849. The specs on the 64GB 6P are just as good as the iPhone 6S plus, but it's $300(!) cheaper.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Samsung Galaxy S6 active.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

I'm a huge Apple fan, but easily bored by iOS on their phones

Much prefer Android and Vanilla Android at that!

Had over the last 12months:

iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
Galaxy Note 4
Nexus 6
Nexus 5
iPhone 6S Plus 128GB

And now:

Galaxy Note 5
Nexus 6P (sold my Nexus 6 yesterday)

iPhones are lovely bits of technology, but I like to 'tinker, and Android lets me sooth that itch, so to speak!

Other than that, everything I have is Apple!

jaytv

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 6p is nearly the hardware equal to the 6s plus. I'd argue the screens are a wash with high resolution vs. more accuracy/brightness on the 6s. However, iOS has been a mess since 6 on up, and it's still a mess, now a surprisingly glitchy one too. Marshmallow, on the other hand, is superb. I never thought I'd prefer AOSP over Sense 6 or 7, and other than theming, I really do love stock Android now.

That being said, when it comes to customizability, Nexus wins in a walkover...

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
From an iPhone?

Did anyone come from a iPhone 6s plus to the Nexus 6p. What are you thoughts? Better? Worse?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss