Nexus 6P vs iPhone 6s

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6p or IPhone 6s Plus

Speaking of a slower cold boot between the two phones, I think the issue is that the 6P has the phone encrypted out of the box (it sets it up automatically on first setup) which will cause a slower boot up. I'm not sure is the iPhone is encrypted out of the box but if it isn't, then that's why there is a boot up speed difference. The phone has to go through a decryption process first in order to boot up.

Good point - that could very well be the difference. The Galaxy S6 cold-boots faster than either the 6P or the iPhone 6S, so there is definitely more going on than just the hardware or just the OS.

Few more things to add to the OP, just from my personal experience with using both phones:

- Android handles notifications *way* better than iOS, which is important because who makes phone calls anymore? haha
- The 6P is simply a faster phone during actual use
- New versions of Android usually make old phones faster, rather than crippling them like iOS updates (even the iPhone 6 has performance issues on the latest iOS). You will get more life out of the 6P if you keep your phones a long time.
- You can't even attach multiple documents directly to an email from the email in iOS (unless they changed it very recently), among the most basic of activities, and was a daily frustration for me
- iTunes is perhaps the worst program I have ever encountered, but to be fair there are workarounds
- Still no quick charge for Apple (this will likely be on the iPhone 7 as an "all new" feature), and is perhaps my single most favorite feature about most new phones these days (and 1-2 years ago....)
- Marshmallow's battery management is nothing short of amazing, 6P battery life with my usage is significantly better than the 6S+ (this will vary person to person I imagine)
- Google's ecosystem just works better on Android (Gmail, Maps, searches, etc.)

Those are some reasons I chose the 6P over the 6S+ based on my personal preferences. YMMV.

Last edited:

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

For those that have both how is the difference in video quality, specifically shakiness?

dreaming of electric sheep

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

For those that have both how is the difference in video quality, specifically shakiness?

dreaming of electric sheep

I didn't notice much of a difference but I don't have shaky hands. The 6S Plus has OIS (the 6S does not), and the 6P uses software based image stabilization for video. My 6P videos were smooth and mostly shakiness-free, as were the ones from the 6S. Quality of the actual video is better on the 6P, especially in low light, thanks to the superior sensor. Again, YMMV.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Boils down to which OS platform do you like better. As far as the camera is concerned I think the 6s+ vs. the 6P is a wash, however when shooting video the lack of OIS on the 6P is very noticeable when comparing it side by side to the iPhone.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Good point - that could very well be the difference. The Galaxy S6 cold-boots faster than either the 6P or the iPhone 6S, so there is definitely more going on than just the hardware or just the OS.

Few more things to add to the OP, just from my personal experience with using both phones:

- Android handles notifications *way* better than iOS, which is important because who makes phone calls anymore? haha
- The 6P is simply a faster phone during actual use
- New versions of Android usually make old phones faster, rather than crippling them like iOS updates (even the iPhone 6 has performance issues on the latest iOS). You will get more life out of the 6P if you keep your phones a long time.
- You can't even attach multiple documents directly to an email from the email in iOS (unless they changed it very recently), among the most basic of activities, and was a daily frustration for me
- iTunes is perhaps the worst program I have ever encountered, but to be fair there are workarounds
- Still no quick charge for Apple (this will likely be on the iPhone 7 as an "all new" feature), and is perhaps my single most favorite feature about most new phones these days (and 1-2 years ago....)
- Marshmallow's battery management is nothing short of amazing, 6P battery life with my usage is significantly better than the 6S+ (this will vary person to person I imagine)
- Google's ecosystem just works better on Android (Gmail, Maps, searches, etc.)

Those are some reasons I chose the 6P over the 6S+ based on my personal preferences. YMMV.

I agree with everything here except 2 points:

1) I don't agree that the 6P is "simply a faster phone during actual use." It's fast...probably the fastest Android phone I've used, but the 6s+ is the fastest phone I've ever used without a doubt. The SoC and fast memory in the new iPhones are second to none and it shows.

2) Battery life on the 6P is great and Doze mode helps a lot, but the 6s+ is the battery life champ in my experience. I know everyone's experience is different, but I just can't imagine a scenario where the 6P has "significantly better" battery life than the 6s+.

I'm still trying to decide which one I'm going to keep and I'm leaning towards the 6s+ because I think it's a better phone overall. However, Android is just a more fun OS, IMO, and I don't want to leave it behind!

Decisions...

gdhampton7

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm. Sorry but the nexus 6p is a fabulous device but it still offers little to the plate vs that of Samsung... No other device has came close to replacing everyday items or basic tasks like Samsung...

1. Most advanced and accepted way to mobile pay
2. Note taking? Don't think there is another...
3. Camera? (lg maybe but lacks 1 and 2)
4. Bezels... (Samsung has the best ratio imo)
5. Mini apps (more apps are now supported)
6. True split screen
7. The S pen... (the best stylus... Doesn't need a recharge... Cough cough)
8. Powersave/ultra power save...
9. Private mode... Enough said.
10. Superb screen (again lg but lacks 4 to 9)
11. Design... (sure bottom look like iPhone but... Look MA no tan lines, and no huge chin)
12. Wireless charging (what happened nexus?)
13. Package disabler pro... (think it only works on Samsung and a few others)
14. The real phablet (not a large phone of a smaller one)
15. UI... Don't understand how difficult touchwiz is... Others still have vertical menu settings... Touchwiz has tab system and settings search...

The list can continue...

Posted via the mighty Note 5

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I agree with everything here except 2 points:

1) I don't agree that the 6P is "simply a faster phone during actual use." It's fast...probably the fastest Android phone I've used, but the 6s+ is the fastest phone I've ever used without a doubt. The SoC and fast memory in the new iPhones are second to none and it shows.

2) Battery life on the 6P is great and Doze mode helps a lot, but the 6s+ is the battery life champ in my experience. I know everyone's experience is different, but I just can't imagine a scenario where the 6P has "significantly better" battery life than the 6s+.

I'm still trying to decide which one I'm going to keep and I'm leaning towards the 6s+ because I think it's a better phone overall. However, Android is just a more fun OS, IMO, and I don't want to leave it behind!

Decisions...

Totally understand - that was just my experience.

Side by side, the 6P loaded everything faster from apps to webpages, especially heavy content ones. The only exceptions were a couple of games. I was on the same WiFi in the same environment. That is how I came to my conclusion, so it may be different for someone else, but I tested all the obvious apps and processes (We browser, mail, maps, various news websites & apps, etc.) Both phones use DDR4 RAM if the tear downs are to be believed, but the 6S+ is working with less of it, so I don't believe there would be a significant speed difference with the memory. Processor benchmarks seem to be rather ambiguous, especially since they are optimized differently - personally I think pretty much every phone these days has more than enough power to handle just about anything smoothly, it's how it all comes together that matters more. Also the 9-month-old Exynos 7420 in the Galaxy S6 gives the A9 a run for it's money if you're strictly comparing benchmarks (it is optimized for multi core). The upcoming M1 should put just about everything in 2015 to shame when March 2016 rolls around, unless they go with the SD820.

I'm getting ~48 hours 'normal' use, ~72 hours 'light' use out of my 6P. The 6S+ was a good amount behind that with my identical personal usage, but I agree this depends a lot on the individual user. I can also throw the 6P on the charger for 10-20 mins and get almost a day's worth of battery, which is an enormous advantage - I can't do that with the 6S+.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Had a iPhone 6 Plus for a few days before getting the 6P.
iOS is fine on a tablet (iPad) but I could not deal with it on a phone.
As far as size and build quality on the 6P. Non-issue feels like a premium device.
Just my personal preference.

southflpix

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I haven't tried the iPhone 6s+, but I much prefer the 6p over last year's iPhone 6+. Better camera, sound, and roughly the same performance. The 6s is by all accounts faster, but again, I have never tried it. You should probably choose based on what you prefer, iOS or Android.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I think between these two phones it seriously comes down to what OS you prefer. If you like iOS better and are firmly invested there, then stick to that. If you're a big Google user and invested in the Android ecosystem, go with the 6P. I have recently had both and I'm staying with the Nexus as that's the ecosystem I prefer. I like iOS, but it just isn't for me. I prefer being able to set up my phone how I WANT to. I prefer also signing into my phone and getting all of my Google services with all of my info, credentials, cloud files, etc. I also have a good deal of money to use in the Play Store that I don't want to waste.

Neither phone is better than the other, in my opinion. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. But the 6P is the iPhone of the Android world. Premium build, screen, battery life, camera, updates, fluid, etc. It's an absolutely incredible Android phone.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Out of the thousands of devices, only a few reported a problem. Forums are made to talk about problems. Not saying the hairline cracks and bent phones aren't a problem but its like buying a car and not have anything happen. That's why we have insurance.

Get either phone and get insurance.

But both phones will be a great device. It's up to you which OS you prefer. Both will be able to do your daily task and then some. I already have a iPhone 5C and iPad Air2 so there was no need for another iOS device and I've been a long time Android user and love it so I'm sticking with it.

Nexus 6P

cruiz1022

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I had the iPhone 6 Plus for about 8 months before getting a Nexus 6 (never had pure android and Amazon had the N6 deal) and eventually a Nexus 6p. Both are great phones. But I personally decided to go with the Nexus 6p and stick with it.

The pure android experience is amazing and doesn't make me want to go back to iOS, the Galaxy Note 3 and 4 always made me miss iOS.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have both and use both depending on my mood. I use android more, but I really like my iphone 6S+. I got them less than a week apart and I have a few observations. I also had a nexus 6 and iPhone 6 +. YMMV.

The iphone 6S+ is easier to type on, imessage is superior to anything I have used on android. I like 3D touch and as more apps will use it, it will be better. The GPS is easier to use with Google maps, no messing with settings on gps etc. The battery has better idle time (not so sure about usage times) and the touch ID actually has apps that use it. If you hold both, there is really no doubt that the iPhone 6S+ is stronger, denser aluminum. Also shooting video is better with OIS.

The Nexus 6P is less expensive, has a better screen, better speakers, more customizable, 5 hours SOT and of course android handles notifications better and it is easier to share things with others. I have had a nexus since the nexus S (except for Galaxy Nexus) and the 6P is the best I have used so far.

It is easy to use iphone as a Google user because all the apps are available to iOS users.
One final thing is that I use ATT and my iPhone 6S+ has HD calling and wifi calling which is really pretty cool. I was texting with my son while on a flight with wifi. You can actually turn off the cellular and make calls from wifi if you have a poor cell signal. Pretty handy if you ever need it. Also if you need to print something and have an airplay printer, iPhone is easier than android's google cloud print.

I probably use android more, but the iphone 6S+ is a very complete and competent device so you cannot go wrong with either.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

Last edited:

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

the Nexus 6P.... you will be a little different than the rest with a very beautiful phone that many claim as the best phone of 2015. EXCELLENT fingerprint scanner, good camera, great screen, the best of Android. show it off to your iPhone friends and brag

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I love my MacBook and I'm typing from my iPad right now, so I have nothing against Apple. But IMO Android is much better than iOS if you enjoy customizations. I'm very particular with what I like. For instance, the text under app icons would drive me crazy, and thankfully for Nova and other launches, that's something I can adjust.

As pointed out, the hardware on the 6p is amazing. The camera, fingerprint sensor, front facing speakers, display, it's just a great phone. Both are solid options, but I'd definitely choose the 6p.

And the cracked black bar is a non issue. A couple of knuckleheads cracked it without noticing, then a few more probably just jumped on the band wagon so they can return it by saying it was defective. And even if it did just spontaneously crack, that's only a few small percentage compared to the others with no problems.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Now, would you TRADE in person a iPhone 6s Plus 64gb for a 32gb Nexus 6p?

Do you mean trade your iPhone for the Nexus? There is a HUGE price difference, especially if you are going to the 32gb Nexus. If you can get your money back on the iPhone, you can get the Nexus and walk away with a pocket full of cash.

I agree with what has been said - they are both excellent phones. It is going to boil down to which OS you prefer. They are very different experiences.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Now, would you TRADE in person a iPhone 6s Plus 64gb for a 32gb Nexus 6p?

Why wouldn't you get the same storage size or higher? The iPhone 6s+ is $300 higher compared to a Nexus 6p with the same storage capacity. I'd imagine worst case you could probably sell your 6s+ and still have enough to buy the 128GB and still have some money left, unless your iPhone has significant signs of wear. But with it being so new, I'd imagine that the resale value is still pretty high.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX