Nexus 6P vs iPhone 6s

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love this Nexus 6P. It's fast, fingerprint reader is awesome, android pay is so cool and easy to use with the fingerprint reader. Still camera is really good. Only a couple of things that aren't as good as my 6S Plus.

Video camera. It's slightly wobbly, the 6S Plus is super stable and is better.
iMovie. NO real good video editing solution on the Nexus yet. I'm not talking masterpieces, just being able to bunch a few clips together with music would be good for me.
Camera app. Stil a bit slower to use than the 6S Plus camera app, but not bad.
Facebook and Twitter apps. Is it just me or are the FB/Twitter iOS apps so vastly superior to Android versions? For the most part, it's because they put the buttons on the bottom of the screen instead of at the very top.

So really for those three reasons I'm still on the fence about keeping this Nexus. It's the best Nexus ever and I've had every one so it'd be weird for me to stick with the iPhone. Anything that might change my qualms?

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
To hijack this thread.

Will the Nexus 6P could with notification bubbles like the iPhone?

I have been using TeslaUnread with Nova for the past year but I intend to use Google launcher for the 6P

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I love this Nexus 6P. It's fast, fingerprint reader is awesome, android pay is so cool and easy to use with the fingerprint reader. Still camera is really good. Only a couple of things that aren't as good as my 6S Plus.

Video camera. It's slightly wobbly, the 6S Plus is super stable and is better.
iMovie. NO real good video editing solution on the Nexus yet. I'm not talking masterpieces, just being able to bunch a few clips together with music would be good for me.
Camera app. Stil a bit slower to use than the 6S Plus camera app, but not bad.
Facebook and Twitter apps. Is it just me or are the FB/Twitter iOS apps so vastly superior to Android versions? For the most part, it's because they put the buttons on the bottom of the screen instead of at the very top.

So really for those three reasons I'm still on the fence about keeping this Nexus. It's the best Nexus ever and I've had every one so it'd be weird for me to stick with the iPhone. Anything that might change my qualms?

Funny, though, how iMovie, a better camera and FB and Twitter apps cant show you when the screen is off that you have new notifications.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
iMovie, facebook and twitter really aren't anything to do with the device though.

Software is a big part of any device and it is a valid deciding factor for some. I personally think Facebook chat heads on Android are super useful and that is something that the iPhone could never do (outside of the FB app). Apparently the latest iMovie allows you to start editing on the phone and then continue the project on a Mac. The workflow of being able to edit a video on the phone and then move it to the PC is very nice, and not something that I see Google ever implementing an equivalent. The 6p can't even export the fast/slow/fast adjustable transition on slow motion videos. The most you can do on the phone with video out of the box is trim the length of the clip. The Galaxy S6 is a bit better, allowing you to save the transition. It also has a built in basic video editor provided by Samsung as well as one that can be downloaded with more advanced features. Not as good as iMovie, but about the best I've seen on Android. It just depends what you value. In my opinion, the gaps between how apps look on the iPhone and Android phones is much less than it used to be.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I mean do whatever you want. Personally, I don't take many videos so that means very little to me. Surely, there's an app that can edit your videos.

If you're picking a phone based on the Facebook and Twitter apps, I'm not sure what to say. Have you tried any of the third-party apps? I used to use Tweetcaster for Twitter and loved it way more than the Twitter app.

All in all, your reasons for not liking the Nexus are pretty low on my totem pole. I still think Android's customization will probably always trump iOS for me, and I can live with some of the minor qualms that are better on iPhones.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have both and am keeping both.
The are almost the exact same size!

The OIS in the 6S+ in video is pretty damn good. And while the live photo is gimmicky, it is cool. So if I had to use just one camera it would be iPhone.

Although the fingerprint scanner is faster on the nexus, I think I like it better on the front for my thumb like iPhone and Samsung have it. Maybe I just need more time with my nexus. Also I am on att and HD voice and wifi calling are on iPhone as well, which are pretty useful. And of course 3D touch is pretty nice and will be better as more apps are updated to use it.

The screen is better on the nexus and it is noticeably lighter to me, phone not screen. I consider myself and Android user but use both platforms. iOS gets boring sometimes and I need my nexus around to customize! Now that fingerprint scanners are more common and built in for marshmallow, hopefully some apps can use it. IPhone has 6-8 apps that I use that are fingerprint enabled and none so far for my 6p. Even my bank of america app is fingerprint enabled for my galaxy s6 but not my nexus 6p??? I know those will take some time but they are awesome to have.

Overall both are capable devices with several strengths. I am fortunate enough to be able to keep both to have the best of two platforms to switch between depending on my mood. I will mention that almost all the apps I use on google are on iOS so it is easier for a Google eco system user to use iPhone than an apple dominant user to use Android.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

Last edited:

vomhorizon

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't do a lot of videos and editing but moving from an iphone 6 to a nexus 6p has been a very pleasant experience so far. I have had the Nexus 5 since it came out but it was always my second phone and never my go to device. I use fenix for twitter and although not as good as tweetbot apps it comes very close. I don't use facebook so can't comment on the app or its messenger. Overall an equivalent iPhone 6s+ is $300 more expensive and the 6p came (when a lot of us bought it) with $50 worth of Play store credit that I am using on buying some of the apps (like fenix) and music etc. I never used google play music but the three month free subscription gives me access to youtube red (at least I think that's why its showing up as YouTube red for me on my device and computer). Apple Music which I have been using since it came out will soon be out on Android and I may just ditch it in favor of play music and youtube red since I love the ability to watch youtube offline when I'm working out...The way I see it I can buy a nexus device every year with the $300 I save by not going in for the iPhone 6+/6s+ which I would usually look to replace every two years (this year was an exception since the wife took the iphone 6). provided google produces a similarly premium looking and feeling device going forward. The only negative I see (and this is a personal thing for me) is that I wished they shrunk the screen size down to 5.5 inches which would have made the phone slightly less taller.

The only other problem I had initially was the saturation on the AMOLED. Until I figured out how to get to SRGB it was terrible coming from non AMOLED devices. Once you see the contrast between the two modes you realize just how oversaturated the stock option is.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't use facebook or twitter on my phone, so I don't have a opinion on that. Having Imovie would be nice though. I use Imovie on my Imac for my videos and occationlly on my Ipad, but I've never used it on my Iphone, I didn't even know you could. I guess I should have known but I've never tried it.

IOS has always had better video & music editing apps from what I heard. I did a test of the camera on the Nexus 6P agianst my Iphone 6 Plus (not even the 6S) and the Iphone camera still looked better to me. It was only one picture indoors so I'll have to do some more testing, but from my experience, both my Note 5 and Iphone 6+ cameras looked slightly better, with the Note being the best.

I haven't tried the video camera yet on any of the phones very much, and not at all on the Nexus 6P. It's not soomething I do, but I need to since I'm reviewing phones.

The three reasons you mentioned wouldn't make me switch back, but I'm more into the Android ecosystem. There are so many other things I use a lot that work nicer on Android for me, like Gmail, Google now & search, google plus (although this app is nice on the Iphone). I also like the funtion of my Android wear watch, with my Android phone; better than my Apple watch with the Iphone. Android's custimization goes without saying.

I switch back and forth between both IOS and Android, but I always have one or the other in a tablet or phone, so I still use both. I always skip the S models of the Iphone.

I don't know if there is anything that would change your quams, if you really like that stuff you're missing.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd agree with OP on the video stabilisation, it's like watching the world through jelly when you're walking and recording!!!

toyanucci

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You guys jumped to defend android and the 6P without really considering what the OP is saying and I do agree with him re the Facebook and Twitter apps. I don't understand what apple is paying Facebook to make them keep the android version of the Facebook app so far behind the ios version. The ios version is just better, no way around it. And re imovie he is also correct, few if any android video editing apps are as intuitive and polished and easy to use. Joining a few clips with a little music, shouldn't be too hard to do so maybe someone can develop an app for android to rival imovie. Are these deal breakers for me? But for some it may be.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
@toyanucci

What is better about Facebook on the iPhone than Android? I've used it on both and seems about the same. Although ironically the iPhone version adopts a few Material conceits that aren't present on the Android one. Such as the create new post being a floating button.

Agree about no really outstanding video apps. I want to be able to join a few clips together with transitions and titles between. Never an easy thing to do on Android.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
You guys jumped to defend android and the 6P without really considering what the OP is saying and I do agree with him re the Facebook and Twitter apps. I don't understand what apple is paying Facebook to make them keep the android version of the Facebook app so far behind the ios version. The ios version is just better, no way around it. And re imovie he is also correct, few if any android video editing apps are as intuitive and polished and easy to use. Joining a few clips with a little music, shouldn't be too hard to do so maybe someone can develop an app for android to rival imovie. Are these deal breakers for me? But for some it may be.
The OP suggest that everything else is equal and these are the deal breakers. I find it hard to believe that someone has minor qualms like the Facebook and Twitter apps but is just whatever on the fundamentals of Android vs. iOS.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I use Fenix for Twitter (much better than any other Twitter app regardless of OS IMO). I use the Facebook app. Don't know what it looks like on iOS but I also use my PC for Facebook and the experience seems the same for me. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

toyanucci

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The OP suggest that everything else is equal and these are the deal breakers. I find it hard to believe that someone has minor qualms like the Facebook and Twitter apps but is just whatever on the fundamentals of Android vs. iOS.
As I said, those apps aren't that important to me, but for some people it is. I won't make this a ios vs android debate though, but just saying his concerns are valid for him

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Forgetting app quality for a moment, lack of OIS (and the resultant shaky video) and the lack of a high quality video editor are very legitimate issues for some. OP makes some fair points.