Discussion on the appeal of iOS vs Android

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
OP, in my own opinion, "branding" yourself based on what kind of platform you jump to is not necessarily a good idea. You should be defining yourself based on facets that are not mobile-related. Sure, buy a phone that will help you get more stuff done - be that browsing the Internet; getting a bigger handle on social media; what have you - but associating your identity/"branding yourself"/associating with Apple, Samsung, or any other corporation is dangerous. Your phone is still separate from you, and your identity is more subjective and not just solely placed on objective trinkets like cellular devices. For example, I have an LG G3 - I jumped ship from BlackBerry. I still follow BB and hope they do well; however, I do not associate my identity with BlackBerry or Android or LG's company.

If your friends love a product, that's great; but try to choose something that would also suit your needs. Try doing some research on the different mobile platforms - including Apple - to see which one would best work for you as a device. I am absolutely not saying that Apple does not have merit - obviously it does: look at their stocks, their selling stats, etc. - but it's always good to do good consumer research before investing in a product. Apple is awesome but expensive - as are high-end Android phones, like Samsung's S7, for example - so be sure to buy something that is not only loved by your friends; but something that you can invest in financially and use comfortably for your contract length. Trust me, it will pay off, literally, to do your research; watch unboxing/review videos; read reviews online; etc. ... Buying a phone is a big investment, especially for young people; and if you want something with a big price tag like an iPhone (or, again, a high-end Samsung device), be sure you do your homework and know that it's something you yourself want.

Good luck! :)
Just an FYI, I'm actually coming from using iOS for years, and have just gotten into android, and while I really like it more than iOS, I'm finding that I'm brought back to the days of owning an iPhone, and how good of an experience I had multiple times because of the reasons mentioned above

Last edited:

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I like the iPhone because it just works. It delivers on what is asked of it perfectly one time, every time, and it's just darn simple to use.
I like Android phones (and would prefer to have one over an iPhone) because I can do more. I can make it an extension of me, my personality, and productivity traits at an infinitely better measure than the iPhone. Plus, the hardware extensibility (At least on my Note 3 here) simply cannot be beat.

That said, I am jealous of iPhone users, especially when they have killer phone accessories and killer apps (emphasis on killer apps.) Snapchat, Vine, Instagram, VSCO, and the timelapse/hyperlapse apps, all produce BETTER QUALITY photos and videos that make 100% use of the iPhone hard-and-soft-ware. On all those services, even if my Note 3, LG G2, and G Pro 2 produce comparable-to-better photos than the new iPhones, they are almost ALWAYS a pixelated, muddy, nearly unusable MESS compared to iPhone images. I almost am embarrassed of using the services because most of my friends who are on such services use iPhones, and they almost always have the clearer, brighter, and just share-worthy photos. I should know, I had a friend and she shoots with an iPhone 6, and me a Note 3. Sure, there's been some headway, like when Instagram enabled much larger photo uploading across iOS and Android, but HD video uploading for Vine is still iOS only, and it makes the Android version neigh unusable in that regard. Also, iOS FIRST and iOS ONLY apps and games.
That's crazy. Even my Galaxy Grand Prime photos rivals my grandmothers IPhone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The whole "I like the iPhone because it just works" is kind of played out now. My Note 5 and S7 Edge just work without any problems now too. Android phones and the the current OS have come a long way.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The whole "I like the iPhone because it just works" is kind of played out now. My Note 5 and S7 Edge just work without any problems now too. Android phones and the the current OS have come a long way.

I agree with this 110%. I've been using a 6s Plus for the past 5+ months. And I used a Nexus 6P and 5X immediately before it. This phone has just as many hangs and glitches, if not more. Apps crash. Home screen freezes. Keyboard freezes. My wife has less problems with her S6 edge Plus.

Domestoboto92x

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Yeah,... No. In my country, people still think iPhones are still the superior device, in terms of camera, apps, and accessories; and basically if you can't afford an iPhone everyone will get a phone that sorta, kinda looks like it, hence Lenovo, Oppo, Xiaomi, Huawei, and all other iOS-aping software and hardware makers (look at Oppo F1, that's a 6S doppelganger!) Even worse, they go and make them look like iPhones in the software. Android phones are stigmatised as inferior devices to iOS, reserved to the cheap ones or absolute nerds...

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah,... No. In my country, people still think iPhones are still the superior device, in terms of camera, apps, and accessories; and basically if you can't afford an iPhone everyone will get a phone that sorta, kinda looks like it, hence Lenovo, Oppo, Xiaomi, Huawei, and all other iOS-aping software and hardware makers (look at Oppo F1, that's a 6S doppelganger!) Even worse, they go and make them look like iPhones in the software. Android phones are stigmatised as inferior devices to iOS, reserved to the cheap ones or absolute nerds...
Well I don't know what world u stay in but the public on planet earth disagree with you.

anon(9637269)

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I can totally feel you, it's same here in the Philippines too, except that Samsung is now peg just as good as iPhone is. My brother who works for Google got himself the iPhone 6s (in replacement of his Nexus) out of curiosity (and partly because I talked him to it hahaha) and now he just hates it. I told him to get the 6P instead, but he said, too big a phone. As for me, I keep both, I just love looking at iPhone's straightforward, sleek, and sexy design but I can't live without the flexibility that Android gives me.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Adios Friends--Why I Returned to The Dark Side (or Cupertino).

Dear friends, over the last year of owning a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 I've come to know you all too well. In fact, these posts mark the first time after a decade of tech forum browsing--I ever actually posted. You saw me during the Halcyon Days when my screen kept freezing; through my malfunctioning Bluetooth; bad video streaming; this list goes on. Actually, too long. For a shining 4 months, I had nary a complaint--then I got an email from my boss saying if I didn't return his next call I'd be fired. Horrified, I attempted to call him, and realized despite having 1-2ish bars it would not connect. Thus began this last month of wrestling with AT&T over connectivity issues. They sent me a Microcell, which over course worked immediately with my Wife's 5s, but was rejected by my Note 5 like a bad transplant. AT&T said they could send me yet another device (6th), but I relented. Surely this could be fixed. But I missed more calls and said, oh hell, bring on the dancing replacement.

It came. And also sucked. Never connected to Microcell, missed texts and calls--with the added bonus of having a keyboard that stuttered even when I factory Reseted, before installing a single app. I realized in my quest for customization, to better serve my flights of fancy--I comprimised the things I need a phone to do 100% of the time I pick it up: like pick up calls and receive texts. You know, be a phone. I then asked when would this much vaunted 6.0 update hit Samsung phones for AT&T. Turns out it had! But only for the S7. Really, Samsung? Sending back 6 phones, with Fed-Ex misdelivering 3 (yes THREE--then tried to accuse me of stealing them, whole other epic rant), and you are holding an update that might fix my woes HOSTAGE? DO they think I would marginally upgrade just to have a working phone? Did I mention I changed my google pass per their request before Factory Resetting. You in the know are likely cringing--if you're not--take away this if nothing else: Changing any google pass locks you out of every Android device for 3 days if you then do a Factory Reset. 72 hours. This was the final disgrace. Also, I might get fired.

I've gone back to iPhone. Yes, boo me if you must. The iPhone 6s Plus is undoubtedly boring: I miss my Pen, multi-tasking windows, widgets, and that glorious, glorious Camera. But I sure as HELL don't miss a stuttering keyboard. Even when they didnt stutter, they were lagging. Something I hadnt noticed till using the buttery texting of an iPhone again. As for the Microcell, I dont even know if it works as I get 4 bars in my house and have it on wi-fi calling. As for the gaming thing, to be honest--thats where Ive seen the least difference. Surprising, since all articles are practically frothing to place iPhone 6s as #1 in gaming. But in phone quality--both sound and, uhm, GETTING THEM.--iPhone just demolishes the Note 5. Texting as well. And the Battery. Holy crap. What good is Fast-charging when the thing ticks faster than a clock MacGruber is disarming? Anyways, its been three days and while I miss my Note--all I'll say is this: Havent missed a call or a text, and it hasn't even occured to me to reboot the phone or clear a cache.

--until Google releases the Mightiest Phone to ever track us like Dogs
Hammy

Last edited:

Roguefoxx

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Adios Friends--Why I Returned to The Dark Side (or Cupertino).

Unfortunate you had all of those issues. I haven't experienced any whatsoever. No stuttering of the keyboard, no missing phone calls or texts (if I were I would have to give it up too as it's for work), it's actually been quite an amazing phone and a delight to use. I certainly wish AT&T would officially release MM, but I did a sideload of it and it's still been as smooth and stable as ever. I also own an Iphone 6s plus that has service as well, although it usually just sits on my desk as a really expensive paper weight. Every once in a while I'll use it because I'm paying for it, and it is a great phone and IOS is always buttery smooth, I just don't feel it competes with the features of my Note 5, which is also buttery smooth.

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Dang that sucks that you had to deal with that. iOS is too locked down for me personally and I can't stand the lack of features. Android at least gives me options to do what I want. The bright side of iOS is iTunes and OS updates. Youll find more music, movies and TV shows on iTunes than you would on Google Play and Apple tends to update there products for at least 3-4 years. I wouldnt mine using iOS but not as a daily driver.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Never experienced the issues you had.
Congrats on finding a phone that works for you!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

No issues other that bluetooth radiol failed....sent to samsung, replaced PBA at no cost to me. Sorry you had those issue. I too have an iPhone 6S Plus, love it.....but would never be happy with it along, love my Note too much!

We'll see you back....they always come back! :-D

Chris

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

I feel like I broke the cardinal rule and insulted Android or the device. I miss my Note 5 terribly. Don't believe the articles about not detecting the difference between screens. In fact, don't believe the articles about anything--everything that was supposedly to be better in iPhone isn't and vice versa. The Gaming was the most the shicking--Asphault 8 (which I only play to seee performance, hate that game) had an ever-so marginal improvement. Every damn article says iPhone 6s destroys Note 5. Perhaps I read non iphone 6s plus articles. Anyways, if I ever got a Note 5 that worked properly--I would have NEVER switched. Especially the price, yikes. Unfortunately, I fell for AT&T's mind game BS of working crap out for the first 14 days and never had another crack at an actually NEW Galaxy Note 5. I also suspect its something with AT&T, specifically. My buddy has a Verizon one and it runs flawlessly--and he throws all kinds of goofy crap at it. I kept mine so minimal--assiduously deleting 3rd party apps. For whatever reason, the Note 5 and I were doomed. Through out 6 (!) replacements mind you. I would say the only reason I switched, was the connectivity and missed texts were driving me to the brink of madness (the 72 hour google lock out didnt help).

One other thing. Do NOT believe the hype about the iPhone 6s camera being comparable--not even flippin' close. Immediately, iphone's SS demads all photos cut to that apple resolution and everything taking on a horrible yellow tint. It looks like an okay cell phone camera while Note 5 looked like a pretty damn good actual digital camera. Oh and my s-Pen. I forgot how many screen shots I took and cut with that thing.

The 3d touch is actually more useful than I thought, but again as a regular s-pen user, I wasn't floored by the functionality. I will say--even compared to my friend's note 5 that works well--Samsung better figure something out as the iphone does the same/ a little more with 2 gig ram an the A9 (except for multi core geek bench score). At some point Samsung needs to bite the bullet with Touch Wiz or maybe move ONE center to the states to integrate software better. Again, this might be just an AT&T thing. Are you satisfied Note 5 users with other carriers?

-missing split-screen

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible that your issues were more of an AT&T problem? If you and your wife both need a microcell to get connectivity, then perhaps AT&T just has lousy coverage where you live.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

No issues other that bluetooth radiol failed....sent to samsung, replaced PBA at no cost to me. Sorry you had those issue. I too have an iPhone 6S Plus, love it.....but would never be happy with it along, love my Note too much!

We'll see you back....they always come back! :-D

Chris

No doubt on that. I wasnt just beeing cheeky about the Google tracking device. My biggest regret of jumping ship at this point is missing the new google Allo messenger app and its Assitant that looks to be amazing. Most definitely will be back, but I dont think it will be a Samsung.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Is it possible that your issues were more of an AT&T problem? If you and your wife both need a microcell to get connectivity, then perhaps AT&T just has lousy coverage where you live.

I actually just poised that question. Like I said in the follow up, my buddy;s Verizon was fine and he had no sense of 3rd party boundaries or *ahem* app-rehension. I very likely think it may not only be an AT&T thing, but an AT&T Texas thing.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I actually just poised that question. Like I said in the follow up, my buddy;s Verizon was fine and he had no sense of 3rd party boundaries or *ahem* app-rehension. I very likely think it may not only be an AT&T thing, but an AT&T Texas thing.

No doubt on that. I wasnt just beeing cheeky about the Google tracking device. My biggest regret of jumping ship at this point is missing the new google Allo messenger app and its Assitant that looks to be amazing. Most definitely will be back, but I dont think it will be a Samsung.

If I needed a microcell in order to get connectivity no matter what device I had, I'd be looking for a different carrier.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

If I needed a microcell in order to get connectivity no matter what device I had, I'd be looking for a different carrier.
Agree with this 100%. . OP didn't mention if this was a work phone or just work trying to get a hold of him. If it was a work phone (which I'm guessing it wasn't), the onus is on your work to get a phone on a different carrier. If not, I could see how different phones might be able to connect in fringes areas, despite the whole microcell fiasco.
If it was a personal phone and were locked into that carrier, I could see changing phones. I might try a different Android phone first though.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

As a fellow Texan, what part of the state were your problems at? Just curious. I've got a low cell signal at home (one speck), but I've never lost a call or message due to signal strength. Traveling the state, I've always had good coverage.

Posted via the Android Central App