Why is there so much dislike for the Blackberry Priv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha... BlackBerry is irrelevant... with less than 1% of market share does not make any difference if they became just like LG or Samsung. In fact they could make much more money if they became another Android hardware maker.

Perhaps but it is still more than Sony,HTC,lg,asus put together.

I mean these oems are never listed or compared in sales just put together under android banner. Worse yet they are all losing money on handsets. Great strategy you want blackberry to follow.

Posted via BlackBerry priv

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Great strategy you want blackberry to follow.

Better than what they currently doing. In fact if I was Chen, I will not have release a single Android but two... A high end and mid range. They are losing people and money with their current BlackBerry OS phones. Look at the passport. Not one wants to buy it and yet still expensive as hell. Blackberry should have moved since 2011 to Android and they will have in 2016 a healthy market share with great devices.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe because it's really a pretty mediocre phone? Aside from the Crackberry forums, it hasn't been reviewed very well by anyone. Look at ARS Techica's review, for example.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't this mean the BlackBerry is going more down the Apple road than Android? Apple is all about proprietary software so.. Why would I want to go with a company who is going to lock features to only their stuff? I like Android / Google services since they usually work on other platforms. If i want to go to Apple or something I could have a very similar experience and not get a "Nope you aren't using us so no thanks" from Google.

Honestly a lot of your points were keyboard and that's it.. The screen, storage, etc. Are all available via other Android devices. Every single one? No.. But you make it sound like the Priv is the only one with these options and that isn't true.

Obviously some stuff will be only available to blackberry phones. It is not same as apple whatsoever. Of course keyboard is main selling point. There are just many other things in addition to they keyboard.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Better than what they currently doing. In fact if I was Chen, I will not have release a single Android but two... A high end and mid range. They are losing people and money with their current BlackBerry OS phones. Look at the passport. Not one wants to buy it and yet still expensive as hell. Blackberry should have moved since 2011 to Android and they will have in 2016 a healthy market share with great devices.

Blackberry is not loosing money on phones per say. Just does not sell enough of them. Passport does not sell very well not because it is bad device.in fact it is excellent device. It is because people feel blackberry will drop bb10 support and do not want to invest in absolute os. Bb10 is not successful because blackberry did not get support from developers. Passport would sell much better with Android on it.

Still blackberry sells more phones even with bb10 then 4 android manufacturers combined.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because it's really a pretty mediocre phone? Aside from the Crackberry forums, it hasn't been reviewed very well by anyone. Look at ARS Techica's review, for example.

Actually this is not true. In fact priv has mostly positive reviews. Just look at review from android central.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The one entitled, "BlackBerry Priv review: Android fixes the OS, but the hardware can’t compete: $700 for a bad keyboard, poor camera, iffy build quality, and old software? No thanks"? http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/blackberry-priv-review-android-fixes-the-os-but-the-hardware-cant-compete/

Here's what I got out of the review:

Build Quality: Terrible ("You can hear plastic scrape against plastic when you open or close the device.")
Build Materials: Terrible ("It features a spongy back material that feels like a plastic frame with a rubber skin wrapped around it.")
Build Design: Terrible (poorly curved screen, pointless mute button, fake speaker grill, MicroUSB, slide out keyboard)
Keyboard: Terrible ("The slide-out keyboard feels like the Priv's entire reason for existing, but it just isn't any good. BlackBerry's hardware keys might have had a leg up on 3.5-inch devices, but today the keys are microscopic compared to the software keyboard on any 5-inch phone. The tiny keys make it easy to press the wrong button, and typing becomes a cramped, uncomfortable experience.")
Software: Outdated, branded and dirtied
Picture Unlock: Terrible (Too sensitive, slow and prone to errors)
Camera: Absolute Garbage ("It's especially bad for a $700 device. In our camera test it was absolutely wrecked by the $380 Nexus 5X")
Processor Performance: Decent. Pretty close to on par with the Nexus 5X
Battery Life: Decent (with screen on low brightness, not great)
Pricing: Terrible ("...pricing your Android phone at $700 is a boastful statement that you've made a kick-***, no compromise device. The BlackBerry Priv can't back up that kind of bragging, though, and that's why it's a failure. Other than the subpar keyboard and camera, everything on the Priv is merely passable. It's a "C" student, but the price demands we grade on a curve that flunks the Priv.")

Overall: Do Not Buy ("Maybe BlackBerry will convince some enterprise customers to buy a few Privs for their business, but for normal consumers, there is nothing compelling here. The Nexus 6P has better specs, a better camera, an aluminum body, and stock Android with updates direct from Google. It's also $200 less than the Priv. There is still no reason to buy a BlackBerry.")

---

Moving away from their review, the other things that are important? Screen Quality? It fails. Being able to buy and use it on your carrier? It fails.

All of that said, there are still several users with BB nostalgia or that sincerely appreciate the features that BB brings and even Russell for Android Central did a relatively positive review of it (he likes it a lot, but it feels like he likes the concepts more than the execution). This isn't the worst device ever made by any stretch of the imagination, but it is far from the best. And it is really hard for people to swallow the fact that there are at least 7 better devices (so far named in this thread) available for less money and with far fewer compromises. If BB wants a to do list of things to fix for 2016, this post may cover it. That or they can release the same mid-range phone at a low to midrange price and then we're having a slightly different conversation about the level of expectations.

http://www.androidcentral.com/blackberry-priv-review

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps but it is still more than Sony,HTC,lg,asus put together.

I mean these oems are never listed or compared in sales just put together under android banner. Worse yet they are all losing money on handsets. Great strategy you want blackberry to follow.

LG actually had over 9% US smartphone market share in 2015 and their global smartphone market share is much higher than 1%.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Obviously some stuff will be only available to blackberry phones. It is not same as apple whatsoever. Of course keyboard is main selling point. There are just many other things in addition to they keyboard.

I fail to see "the other things" beside hardware security. Every other thing you mentioned is available via other phones and isn't a BB exclusive thing so -- not sure what you mean. If someone said they want those 2 things (keyboard + security) I could see your point but if someone doesn't care as much I don't see the draw in paying a lot more for features you get on other / cheaper devices that are also considered "Flagship" status.

berklon

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
1. I was referring to nexus in particular

2. People do care about security

You state that people care about security, yet they're not buying a phone you say is the most secure. That's the definition of not caring about security. BB would still be doing well if people cared.

3. You actually do not know how priv sells as official priv sales numbers are not released

No, we don't officially know the numbers... but from BBs statements the numbers aren't very impressive at all. Check out the Crackberry forum to see it.

5. Curved screen is on more expensive Samsung phones

On contract (which is how most people buy their phones) the S6 Edge 32gb is $300 compared to the Priv's 410. Both have curved screens.

6. People do care about call quality because they use phone to ..... Talk to other people....

And like I said, even if the Priv has better call quality - that doesn't mean other phones have poor call quality. I had the Nexus 5 and am currently using the 6P - and call quality is fantastic. Never had an issue. It's an area that doesn't need improvement. Once again - if call quality were an issue then people wouldn't be buying these phones.

7. Blackberry virtual keyboard is really good. Having tried all best on android I do feel blackberry one is really there at the top.

That's nice. But no one seems to have an issue with the virtual keyboards on othe Android devices. There are so many choices available to them on the Play Store. No one is complaining.

8. Blackberry hub is good for people who appreciate efficiency. Again you cannot get it on other phones.

It was available on BB10 - did anyone care? I'm not seeing a huge lineup for the Priv because of it either.
Mark my words, when BB realizes the Priv just isn't selling well enough - the Hub will be made available for other phones. Just like BBM was a BB-only staple - BB realized they had to port it elsewhere. I predict the Hub will be available to all android phones in 6-12 months.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Priv is the only android phone that has not been rooted. I believe this is important for obvious security reasons.

For the record, I know the Verizon and AT&T versions of the Note 4 still do not have root access. Even though I have the Verizon version, I still don't feel as secure as I otherwise would if I had root access that would allow me to use a system wide blocking hosts file (ex. MVPS) that has the capability to block known malicious stuff on the Internet, as well as ad networks that in many cases are the origin of malware (ex. feel more secure using my old rooted Note 2 still running Jelly Bean with a blocking hosts file). As it is now without that layer of protection a blocking hosts file could provide, the only defense is my own ability to recognize a potential threat (should it appear as a prompt on my screen to install something, something where many a user have been tricked and actually installed malware despite not having root access), whereas with a blocking hosts file such a potential prompt would likely never happen as it would be blocked by my custom hosts file. Point being, lack of root access (or full administrator) is not in and of itself a fool proof security method one should fully entrust to think their device is fully secure.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: why so much dislike for blackberry

What makes you say that?

You're going to make me want to go cite a source and I don't have time right now but I will go find it. What I was looking at was basically four points.

1. Encryption - Blackberry has a new proprietary way of dealing with encryption. I do not know if it is actually better or just a different way of doing it. I also don't know if Android encryption is regularly being "broken" to make this an issue of differentiation.

2. There's an app that gives the user feedback on their current security settings. This is AWESOME. But stupid users can still do things they don't understand and make their devices unsafe. And smart users don't need the feedback. But for everyday users who may accidentally do strange things, this is good.

3. Security updates within 30 days. Depending on the month, BlackBerry always has a significant chance of being less secure than Nexus devices but will normally be more secure than all other OEM devices - like the ones that people who don't read Android Central actually buy.

4. Marshmallow isn't on the PRIV yet. This takes some intrinsic security features out of the equation and takes away user control over app permissions, etc. This is the biggest area of opportunity for BB. Don't release devices on old software and then take months to update it while talking about security. Obviously you have some stuff to test, etc. That's cool. Get it done and on devices.

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

The thing with the physical keyboard is that it made me sense with small screens, since small screens are harder to type on. With larger screens, most people don't prefer a physical keyboard. Yes there will always be a niche that prefers it, but they are in the very small minority

You'd be surprised....

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm perfectly okay with agreeing to disagree on all but this one point because I feel like you misconstrued what I was saying. I am saying that there are BETTER devices available, carrier unlocked for less - and in most cases much less. Examples: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure, Note 5 (Verizon version works everywhere), etc, etc. So the Priv is the worst experience of that list of devices and the most expensive. The analogy doesn't work. I'm not arguing that there are cheaper devices that a customer could settle for. I'm saying that there are much better devices that cost less than the device that is overpriced (Priv).

DevicePriceRanking
Nexus 6P$4991
Samsung Galaxy Note 5$6962
Moto X Pure Edition$3993
Nexus 5X$3494
Blackberry Priv$6995

Aside from the Note 5, the devices here follow a general trend of becoming less expensive as their ranking goes down. Add in some other devices that beat out the Priv, like the G4, V10, Nexus 6, etc, etc. and the same trend is there. So to change up the analogy, assuming very similar options, would you rather buy the BMW for at retail price or a used Honda that costs 40% more than the BMW? When better is cheaper the value proposition is upside down. That was what I was trying to get across in bullet #5.

Long story short, a $700 mobile device needs to be PHENOMENAL (I think the note 5 is overpriced by a lot too) and this device is sub par. A modern flagship needs to be carrier agnostic, have an awesome physical design and have software that rocks the house. This is a cool first try, but it is definitely not the end-all and needs a lot of work for the next generation.

Have you actually used all these phones? Specifically the Note 5? If not, I think it disingenuous to voice your opinion of them.

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I am wondering why would you consider it if all phones are essentially the same apple clones. Android industry really started by ripping off Apple left and right. Blackberry is the only company in years that brings something fresh in years.

I would love to see passport with Android.

By the way blackberry physical keyboard is not straight physical keyboard. I get suggestions which I can swipe in. Blackberry stuff are innovative and unique.

I would not be surprised google collaborative with innovative blackberry on next google phone

Exactly what did Android rip off left and right?

VermaEklavya

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site

Currently only apple can successfully sell based heavily on the user experience,and not specs. Heck look at the iPhone 6s screen. It isn't even HD resolution. When was the last time you saw a high end Android with a sub hd resolution?

To be fair, the 6s screen looks great to me...

Just a quick note:
"HD" resolution on 16:9 aspect ratio translates to 1280x720 pixels. iPhone 6s has a screen resolution of 1334x750 in the same aspect ratio, which is some variation of WXGA resolution, but is still a tad bit higher than "HD".
Of course if you meant Full HD (read FHD or 1920x1080 in the same aspect ratio), then you would be correct.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Have you actually used all these phones? Specifically the Note 5? If not, I think it disingenuous to voice your opinion of them.

I emphatically disagree. 100% opposite. I have used each of them and have owned 5 of the 8 that I mentioned, but even if I hadn't - I'd expect to be able to share my opinions about them based on what knowledge I do possess about them. Everyone in the forums has a right to comment on whatever they want as long as they do so within the rules.

But just out of curiosity... what about the Note 5 did I say that you have an issue with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae