Android Guy switched to iOS for a day...

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh my word everyone. Let me tell you about my experience going back to Apple for a day or two. Wow, was it ever....boring. I mean the OS is amazing, the hardware is pretty nice, the call quality and media sound is incredible, camera is okay and screen is nothing special. The home screen layout with all the apps was actually very inconvenient!

I run with a Google MDM (mobile device manager) for business and I have Google Business Apps, so yes going to an iPhone maybe obviously a silly move. But I was sick of having all the drop call issues and lag issues with numerous android phones, hence why I attempted an iPhone. I had all the intentions that this would be it and I would find the phone I've been longing for but it was a really inconvenient day or two. The calendar was poor which I could never tell if it worked, sending out calendar invites. Google sheets, drive and docs are a complete joke, and apples new AirMail app was actually pretty in depth and full of features, that I would never use but others? I dunno maybe.

So there I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Loving the podcast media side of the iPhone, Apples iMessage and notification push is crazy accurate, but it's still lacking a ton. So what they say is true, once you go Android you'll never go back.

In fact! I jumped back on my BlackBerry Priv! I used and own every premium smartphone running Android available. S6, Note 5, Note 4, HTC, etc etc. However, hands down my favourite phone is the Huawei Nexus 6P, I'm in love with it, but sooooo many bugs, sooooo many! Any who, the BlackBerry Priv seems as if it's the perfect balance between work and pleasure. The device allows me to be ultra productive at work but then also allows me to be super laid back and have fun when I get home, media wise anyway.

So the reason I thought I would just babble on within this thread was to find a place for my words and thoughts. It would be amazing if we could have some action and discuss , calmly and generously, in our experienced with different platforms and phones. So let's chat!

If you have actually made it this far, I want to thank you for reading my rants. Please cram in your views and opinions. I'm really interested in your experiences and thoughts!

Love, peace and chicken grease!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice rant!;) Just curious, what bugs are you seeing on your 6P? Mine's been pretty smooth, except for a hiccup once in a blue moon.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Nice rant!;) Just curious, what bugs are you seeing on your 6P? Mine's been pretty smooth, except for a hiccup once in a blue moon.

To me it's seems that the reception is horrible. I'm always connected to LTE where I know shouldn't be getting it. People say my voice sounds robotic during calls. It's almost like the device has crappie reception and all my notifications come in at once, but nothing will come in for a bit. It's weird. Thing is, this is my third Nexus 6P.

You're saying that you haven't had any issue like this at all?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have T-Mobile, which is generally good in the Silicon Valley area, but still not quite as broad coverage as Verizon or AT&T, so it can be difficult for me to tell if the occasional signal drop is due to poor signal or poor reception. But it doesn't happen often, so I can't say it's been plaguing me.

I recall some 6P users complaining about other people saying they sound odd, and I thought it was related to the secondary noise cancellation mic. I assume yours isn't blocked, right?

I haven't noticed any delayed notifications, except maybe the rare voicemail that comes through without the phone ever ringing (but then again, that might be due to the poor signal areas mentioned above). Interestingly, I've noticed slow or delayed syncing of certain Google services on my Honor 5X, so I wonder if it might be a Huawei thing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've only dabbled in two OS worlds: BlackBerry and Android. Have wanted to try WP, but as you say, Android is a very difficult platform to leave. I love the customizability of the OS and the fact that you have a plethora of options (devices) to choose from.

However, I LOVE my BlackBerry phones. I had a (white) BlackBerry Bold 9780, and a (black) Q10. Loved both. Miss both, especially my Q10. Agree with you that BB can be a great device for both work and at home.

As far as Android goes, I had the Nexus 5 and now the LG G3. Love both, have recommended both. I feel like I could either go to LG or Nexus for my upgrade in two years or so - I really like both phones' "version(s)" of Android. Both were great for me and did the job well. My Nexus was sick, but I love the bigger screen size of my G3 (I watch a lot of Netflix on my phone, so as great as my Nexus 5 was, the G3 does a much better job; but with screen quality and size for Netflix viewing) and just the little tweaks LG has made to make the device their own. I have heard great things about the Nexus 6P, but I am interested in seeing how the G5 fares. Maybe in two years the G5 will be affordable for my small budget... ;).

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've only dabbled in two OS worlds: BlackBerry and Android. Have wanted to try WP, but as you say, Android is a very difficult platform to leave. I love the customizability of the OS and the fact that you have a plethora of options (devices) to choose from.

However, I LOVE my BlackBerry phones. I had a (white) BlackBerry Bold 9780, and a (black) Q10. Loved both. Miss both, especially my Q10. Agree with you that BB can be a great device for both work and at home.

As far as Android goes, I had the Nexus 5 and now the LG G3. Love both, have recommended both. I feel like I could either go to LG or Nexus for my upgrade in two years or so - I really like both phones' "version(s)" of Android. Both were great for me and did the job well. My Nexus was sick, but I love the bigger screen size of my G3 (I watch a lot of Netflix on my phone, so as great as my Nexus 5 was, the G3 does a much better job; but with screen quality and size for Netflix viewing) and just the little tweaks LG has made to make the device their own. I have heard great things about the Nexus 6P, but I am interested in seeing how the G5 fares. Maybe in two years the G5 will be affordable for my small budget... ;).

The Nexus 6P is incredible. I cannot believe how fast the phone is. It's just those weird things with the notifications being delayed a bit and the weird reception issues. Very odd. The Priv....oh wow, BlackBerry and Android together at last?! Amazing! Being a Canadian and all I feel as if this device was designed specifically for Canadian carriers and networks. Definitely the best coverage and reception I've had on a phone. And the keyboard, the virtual, not the physical I barely use the physical keyboard. BlackBerry keyboard is amazing, the swipe gestures and the swipe left to delete a word is incredible.

Both phones in my book are amazing. I just love the Nexus for its size, sound, experience and UI.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have T-Mobile, which is generally good in the Silicon Valley area, but still not quite as broad coverage as Verizon or AT&T, so it can be difficult for me to tell if the occasional signal drop is due to poor signal or poor reception. But it doesn't happen often, so I can't say it's been plaguing me.

I recall some 6P users complaining about other people saying they sound odd, and I thought it was related to the secondary noise cancellation mic. I assume yours isn't blocked, right?

I haven't noticed any delayed notifications, except maybe the rare voicemail that comes through without the phone ever ringing (but then again, that might be due to the poor signal areas mentioned above). Interestingly, I've noticed slow or delayed syncing of certain Google services on my Honor 5X, so I wonder if it might be a Huawei thing.

Yeah I don't think there is so much of a delay in the notifications. It's almost like the radio in the phone glitches and freezes disabling any data or coverage from reaching the phone. Then once the phone kicks into to play or say the network changes from LTE to 3G then it will notify me. This does not happen all of the time. It's just enough to make me feel like I cannot trust the device in a heavy work day. But I'm keeping the phone. I'm hoping Google will bring out big fixes shortly so hopefully it will fix some of the issues and justice have the Nexus 6P just humming again. Honestly, this phone was/is my dream phone. I just need it's major bugs fixed. Maybe this if Marshmallow? I dunno.

Do you feel like you're using a superior device or that's you can't rely on your Nexus 6P? Like you could be potentially missing things? Notifications or calls?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you feel like you're using a superior device or that's you can't rely on your Nexus 6P? Like you could be potentially missing things? Notifications or calls?

Honestly, I do feel that it's superior. There have been one or two missed calls, but that could be T-Mobile, since I've experienced that on occasion with my previous workhorse phones (ZenFone 2, Nexus 5).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't recommend Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile at this time. Many of the popular apps are either not available or haven't been updated in eons and lack the features of their Android/iOS counterparts. BlackBerry 10 is probably better than Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile, since some Android apps are available for BB10 provided the latest Android runtime/Google Play Services aren't needed.

I started with the Mobile Nations sites with CrackBerry and used a 9000 and a 9700. Then I switched to Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 900 and Nokia Lumia 920). I've been using Android for almost a year now.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Truth is I know lots of Android users (friends and co workers) who happily have made the jump back to iOS... Pretty much for the reasons you have stated. We have had detailed discussions on the very topics you posted. They just want/need stuff to work 100% of the time. Almost all of them agree the user customization in Android is much better than the rigidity of iOS. But with them its a clear cut trade-off between that and basic reliability. I generally agree with them (and you too) in that there is no perfect world. I too have had slightly more dropped calls on my Android phones (xperia Z3, LGV10) than my iPhones. But not nearly enough to make me want go back to iOS... at least not yet.

My wife loves her 6S+... she's the perfect candidate for iOS and even more-so the whole Apple eco-system, and in-store post sale support for all its strengths. When it came time to upgrade her phone, without hesitation it had to be an iPhone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile at this time. Many of the popular apps are either not available or haven't been updated in eons and lack the features of their Android/iOS counterparts. BlackBerry 10 is probably better than Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile, since some Android apps are available for BB10 provided the latest Android runtime/Google Play Services aren't needed.

I started with the Mobile Nations sites with CrackBerry and used a 9000 and a 9700. Then I switched to Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 900 and Nokia Lumia 920). I've been using Android for almost a year now.

You know, when I was researching WP, it was the "app gap" that made me think twice. There were too many Android apps that I used that I could not find on the Windows site; or their app substitutions were not what I was looking for. It was unfortunate, because I would have loved to have given WP a try this time around; but to be honest, I truly couldn't switch from Android.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 6P is incredible. I cannot believe how fast the phone is. It's just those weird things with the notifications being delayed a bit and the weird reception issues. Very odd. The Priv....oh wow, BlackBerry and Android together at last?! Amazing! Being a Canadian and all I feel as if this device was designed specifically for Canadian carriers and networks. Definitely the best coverage and reception I've had on a phone. And the keyboard, the virtual, not the physical I barely use the physical keyboard. BlackBerry keyboard is amazing, the swipe gestures and the swipe left to delete a word is incredible.

Both phones in my book are amazing. I just love the Nexus for its size, sound, experience and UI.

Yes, I have heard overwhelmingly good things; save for random glitches/bumps every once in a while. I have a ton of respect for Nexus, so maybe I'll switch back to a Nexus when my upgrade rolls around... How do you find the size of the device? It's 5.7", correct? I can handle my G3 well enough; which surprised me, because my hands are small. I love "larger-ish" phones, because I watch Netflix a lot on my handsets.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How do you find the size of the device? It's 5.7", correct?

That's correct. I find it just on the upper end of comfort. I can use it one-handed for most of the time, but sometimes have to switch to two-handed use. (I'm 5'11" with fairly average-sized hands for my height.)

It's a few mm narrower than the Nexus 6, but those mm were probably crucial for me, because when I played around with an N6 in the store, that seemed uncomfortably wide.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have heard overwhelmingly good things; save for random glitches/bumps every once in a while. I have a ton of respect for Nexus, so maybe I'll switch back to a Nexus when my upgrade rolls around... How do you find the size of the device? It's 5.7", correct? I can handle my G3 well enough; which surprised me, because my hands are small. I love "larger-ish" phones, because I watch Netflix a lot on my handsets.

The size of the device is around generally what's I prefer now. Going to the 6S size was crazy different. Everything was too small and still difficult to handle with one hand I find. The Nexus 6P is just the perfect size for everything one would need. I work with Google Business Apps throughout my day so the integration between the apps and the size of the screen is amazing. On the other hand when I come home I know I can lay on my couch and watch YouTube videos galore with the awesome screen and amazing speakers. Oh and the finger print scanner, holy! I would put it right next to the iPhone in response time. I actually prefer it over the iPhone because I found the iPhone too fast. It would bypass my lock screen so quickly that I wouldn't be able to check on the notifications. So there wasn't a use for the lock screen at all really, in my opinion. All in all the Nexus 6P would be an amazing experience for yourself I believe. Watching Netflix on it is amazing, or videos for the matter. I really hope the trend does turn around and started going back to smaller phones. Ill be pretty upset if that's the case.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
That's correct. I find it just on the upper end of comfort. I can use it one-handed for most of the time, but sometimes have to switch to two-handed use. (I'm 5'11" with fairly average-sized hands for my height.)

It's a few mm narrower than the Nexus 6, but those mm were probably crucial for me, because when I played around with an N6 in the store, that seemed uncomfortably wide.

I really wish there was a way to solve these issues that I've been having with the Nexus. I feel like everyone else isn't having any issues! Turned to Google they can't help and I also turned to my carrier and surprise surprise they couldn't help either.

Any suggestions or do you think this would be solved with updates?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
All this talk made me want to get back on the Nexus 6P. So I did it! I'm going to try it again! I'll try to narrow down the issues a little more B Diddy and see if I can provide more detailed reports. We'll see what happens.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

OK so an update regarding the reception issues with the Nexus 6P. So I've figured out that streaming is pretty bad on the phone, I notice this the most when I am streaming podcasts while driving. I have a BB Priv and do not experience these issues with it. I have tried two different podcast app, podcast addict and now Castbox. Podcast Addict was randomly using more battery than it should of so I decided to get rid of it. I have also noticed that music is the same. I use Google Play Music, I try to stream it and it usually buffers half way through the song, which again does not happen with the other devices. This is all during cellular network and in areas with great to okay coverage. Tested in same areas.

Let me know what you think!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So the Priv isn't having the issue when you swap the same SIM card over to it? Do both phones show around the same cell signal (in dBm or ASU, and not looking at signal bars) when you compare them in the same location, or is the 6P's significantly worse?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Trying to upload a screen shot of the cell strength but it's telling me I may not have permission to do this. Any way it's -109 dbm right now and 31 asu. I'll do more tests today and see what happens.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Truth is I know lots of Android users (friends and co workers) who happily have made the jump back to iOS... Pretty much for the reasons you have stated. We have had detailed discussions on the very topics you posted. They just want/need stuff to work 100% of the time. Almost all of them agree the user customization in Android is much better than the rigidity of iOS. But with them its a clear cut trade-off between that and basic reliability. I generally agree with them (and you too) in that there is no perfect world. I too have had slightly more dropped calls on my Android phones (xperia Z3, LGV10) than my iPhones. But not nearly enough to make me want go back to iOS... at least not yet.

My wife loves her 6S+... she's the perfect candidate for iOS and even more-so the whole Apple eco-system, and in-store post sale support for all its strengths. When it came time to upgrade her phone, without hesitation it had to be an iPhone.

That's why I am sticking with my s6, and Samsung. Everything works 100% of the time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy