Comparing the S7 Edge vs HTC 10...I'm torn

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi all -
I'm comparing the S7 edge with the HTC 10, trying to decide which one should be my daily driver. And I must confess this is not easy for someone who is as extremely indecisive as myself. Anyone have any suggestions/feedback on which one to choose for my needs?

Personal comparison notes
HTC 10
- White balance is far better (in my opinion) as the S7 edge just looks completely warm/yellow in comparison
- Standby times are good but when using the device the SoT is really awful. I managed to only get 2 hours SoT using just Snapchat and Web browsing yesterday. (Yes I know Snapchat uses a ton of battery but it doesn't kill the S7e like that)
- Audio is far superior: I have high end headphones (Klipsch x20i) and boy does this thing sound good with them
- When comparing signal, the HTC 10 has worse signal in almost all cases for both cellular and wifi, not sure why this is. It's at least a 10dBm difference.
- IMHO, the metal build quality is better, I feel like I don't need a case with the HTC 10 whereas I do with the S7e.
- Software Experience: Sense is vastly superior to touchwiz, I definitely enjoy Sense a lot more
- USB Type C: Minor but I really love the added convenience
- Fingerprint Scanner: 100% easier and faster to use than Samsung's implementation. Major kudos to HTC here

S7 Edge
- White point aside, the screen is definitely better. Brighter, more vibrant, better viewing angles, and easier to see outside.
- Bigger display, but oddly the HTC 10 is able to display the same amount of information within apps/webpages. I'm assuming this is due to DPI.
- Audio is alright but no match for the HTC 10, barely drives my headphones, and sounds less powerful. I have to put it past the rather annoying "volume could hurt your ears" message, when it's not even that loud.
- Battery is by far better, I get around 4.5-5.5 hours of SoT with my heavy usage of social media (snapchat, facebook, instagram), web browsing, and light gaming.
- Better signal for cellular and wifi
- Wireless charging: I don't use it all the time, but this could be useful I guess.
- Always on Display (yes I actually use it)

Things I value are:
- Audio quality (value this more so than the average Joe)
- Screen quality
- Battery Life / Signal
- Convenience

Please help me decide, I'm dying here. I love them both but only need one. :(

Last edited:

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all -
I'm comparing the S7 edge with the HTC 10, trying to decide which one should be my daily driver. And I must confess this is not easy for someone who is as extremely indecisive as myself. Anyone have any suggestions/feedback on which one to choose for my needs?

HTC 10
- White balance is far better (in my opinion) as the S7 edge just looks completely warm/yellow in comparison
- Standby times are good but when using the device the SoT is really awful. I managed to only get 2 hours SoT using just Snapchat and Web browsing yesterday. (Yes I know Snapchat uses a ton of battery but it doesn't kill the S7e like that)
- Audio is far superior: I have high end headphones (Klipsch x20i) and boy does this thing sound good with them
- When comparing signal, the HTC 10 has worse signal in almost all cases for both cellular and wifi, not sure why this is. It's at least a 10dBm difference.
- IMHO, the metal build quality is better, I feel like I don't need a case with the HTC 10 whereas I do with the S7e.
- Software Experience: Sense is vastly superior to touchwiz, I definitely enjoy Sense a lot more
- Fingerprint Scanner: 100% easier and faster to use than Samsung's implementation. Major kudos to HTC here

S7 Edge
- White point aside, the screen is definitely better. Brighter, more vibrant, better viewing angles, and easier to see outside.
- Bigger display, but oddly the HTC 10 is able to display the same amount of information within apps/webpages. I'm assuming this is due to DPI.
- Audio is alright but no match for the HTC 10, barely drives my headphones, and sounds less powerful. I have to put it past the rather annoying "volume could hurt your ears" message, when it's not even that loud.
- Battery is by far better, I get around 4.5-5.5 hours of SoT with my heavy usage of social media (snapchat, facebook, instagram), web browsing, and light gaming.
- Wireless charging: I don't use it all the time, but this could be useful I guess.

Things I value are:
- Screen quality
- Battery Life / Signal
- Convenience

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all -

HTC 10

S7 Edge

Things I value are:
- Screen quality
- Battery Life / Signal
- Convenience

Subscribed. Torturing myself over this issue myself. Love them for different reasons.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
For me the question is this, do I want to contribute to a Samsung/Apple duopoly or do I want to support competition?

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My friend you're going to get short with one or the other. I owned time ago HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE ( M 7 ) at their chronological moment this three were the flagships of HTC. The only Samsung I own is my current phone, Galaxy S6. My only disappointment with all of them is the terrible late Google Platform Upgrades. So for me the Galaxy S6 is my last phone purchased at AT&T Store. I used to run a Nexus 5 at AT&T so as soon the Nexus 2016 is out I'm going for it, just push the Nano sim card from the S6 and peace on earth.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
You are right on all your observations... but that doesn't help with the decision... maybe wait for HTC' Nexus 7?

Posted via Android Central App

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
The build quality and durability of the htc 10 is unmatched by any other flagship on the market. And the cameras are also on par with the other flagships too. All in all this htc is back! Happy hunting.

htc 10

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Ive used S7 Edge a handful of times since 2 of my friends have them. While its easily the best Samsung phone Ive used, I have disliked pretty much every Galaxy phone to date, it still isnt enough to pull me away from HTC. I used the S7s, saw they are pretty nice for a Samsung and waited for HTC 10. Once it was in a store went to mess around with it and I instantly knew which phone I would get. I loved the build quality of it along with knowing it has a good audio setup for myself as I like good audio quality over some of the things Samsung offer.

For myself personally, until HTC makes a bad phone, I will always try those out before ever settling on another brand. They always make top notch phones. All this is of course my opinion on the matter at hand. Ive had nearly every possible HTC phone since the original Incredible and this is by far the best HTC phone Ive used. And I loved my M8 more than any prior phone. So despite HTCs financial woes, they are doing one thing right and thats making some really impressive phones regardless of their sales numbers. Which is a shame.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Things I value are:
- Screen quality
- Battery Life / Signal
- Convenience

- Audio quality (value this more so than the average Joe); The 10 is AMAZING here. I picked up a 200gig SD and very expensive headphones just for this phone because I was so impressed with the audio. S7 has a rep for bad audio.
- Screen quality; S7 screen will be favored by most so I'd give it this category, but I found it to be unpleasant to look at and prefer the 10 so YMMV.
- Battery Life / Signal; One lasts a little longer, but the other charges insanely fast. I favor the 10 here because I don't like my phone being stuck on the charger forever and the 10 lasts a full day anyway.
- Convenience; 10 is more user-friendly in general but it's so close that it's hard to say one trumps the other in this category.

Samsung has more marketing power and will always win the popularity contest because of that but I think that HTC has built a better device.

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I was really wanting an s7e. Battery and display were amazing, but when weighing pros and cons the HTC won out by huge margin. At the end of the day that only thing truly lacking in the HTC is equivalent battery life and quickcharge more than earns that name.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I was really wanting an s7e. Battery and display were amazing, but when weighing pros and cons the HTC won out by huge margin. At the end of the day that only thing truly lacking in the HTC is equivalent battery life and quickcharge more than earns that name.

Im getting near 2 days on battery life. My average per complete charge as I use the phone is 1day and 23 hours. Avg screen time is 4 hours and 30 mins currently. With work I often leave my phone sitting for several hours some days so it sips battery life at that point. Im not a heavy user every single day of course. Even if it was a single day, the fact I can fully charge in usually less than an hour makes up for any possible battery issues that some may have with it. I charged from under 10% and was full in less than an hour. Pretty crazy considering.

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm constantly on mine at work. Email, work related texts, doesn't help that cell and Wi-Fi signal there is crap. At home I could likely get close to what you ate getting. Not happening in my office though. But with a 90 minute charge time from zero? Even 15 minutes of charging at lunch is more than enough to keep me going through the day.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the S7E, and it's an excellent device. The screen is superb, the ergonomics are outstanding, the battery life is decent. I'm worried about dropping the phone and shattering the front or back, which is why I'm considering the HTC10. Wireless charging is a nice feature but not a deal breaker, and the water proofing may save the phone in an accident but many have survived without it. The speaker and sound quality sucks, which is really disappointing if you watch a lot of movies or videos. I don't think the camera is that big of a difference to make me keep the S7E. They're both the best money can buy, but the biggest difference maker for me is the user interface, the only reason I can comfortably feel good switching. It's the aspect of the phone we are always using, so that's a huge thing for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Things I value are:
- Screen quality
- Battery Life / Signal
- Convenience

Audio quality: You already know which one is better. You can do a speaker mod for the S7E to fire off from both speakers, but headphone quality goes to the HTC 10.

Screen quality: S7 Edge is better, but with my experience using both phones not by much. Is it a dealbreaker? That's up to you.

Battery life: S7E is slightly better, but give the HTC 10 time to settle in, plus a few more updates, and you'll see decent results. I get 4-5 hours SOT with at least 2 hours of gaming and the rest on reddit/blinkfeed. (on 1.53 update)

Signal: I can't comment on that, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Convenience: Totally personal opinion.

The S7E is a very capable phone. However, I chose the HTC 10 because of how good of an all around phone it is. It isn't the best at every category, but nothing about it is a true deal breaker.

With the S7E you have touchwiz, which I think boggs down the phone a lot. I owned the S6E for awhile and learned to hate touchwiz over the course of a year. I owned the M7 and loved Sense for the two years I had it. Now the HTC 10 has me non-stop picking up the phone just to feel it in my hand and mess around with Sense and just see how clean it is.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I had the s7 edge. It is a fantastic device. Didn't have My issues with it. I ended up purchasing the 10 on release day. After using the phone i fell in love with it. As much as i loved the s7 edge i like the 10 more.

I do miss Samsung pay. I never used wireless charging. The screen on the s7 edge to me was more vibrant and brighter. But overall the 10 for me wins. It's hard to explain but after using it all the little things make the phone superb.

Being almost stock android is a plus and the phone flies. Battery life is less than the s7 edge but i easily make it through the entire day and then some.

At the end of the day both phones are wonderful but for me the 10 won hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34