The OnePlus 3 vs the Note 7

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: For $850, I would rather buy 2 One Plus 3s! (Note 7 Review)

If you already have an s7 then no point in upgrading just for an s pen hell I still have my note 5, Samsung is starting to be like Apple wroth upgrades

Right. In fact, if you already have another Samsung flagship, they're not even marketing the Note to you.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Or if you don't care for the S-Pen or the eye ball reader and the secure folder and shopping for a phone then save yourself $100 going with Edge.

If you already have an s7 then no point in upgrading just for an s pen hell I still have my note 5, Samsung is starting to be like Apple wroth upgrades

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

The only real world test that matters to me is whether I like the phone and it does what I want it to do. The Note 7 passed my real world test with flying colors!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Here's the thing about price. Samsung isn't marketing this device to folks looking for a bargain. It's a premium device that cost a premium price. You're right, there are plenty of quality phones you can buy for cheaper. By all means, buy those phones. The Note is in a different category. You can't walk into a car dealership and demand that all of their cars be priced in line with what you want to pay.

Your buy what offers YOU the best value for your money.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

The OnePlus 3's terrible camera prevents it from being a good choice for people that care about taking pictures and videos. Now if you were talking about getting 2 Huawei Nexus 6Ps, you would have a pretty strong argument there.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Here's the thing.

First of all, Ron is not a Samsung fan, so something like this is kinda expected.

Second of all, even though Ron isn't a fan of Samsung, he is missing some critical points that the Note (and other flagships) have that the OnePlus doesn't. It's less significant but arguably something that's very important for some people.
  • The OP3 doesn't seem to support carrier aggregation on the downlink and uplink
  • The OP3 has no Wi-Fi calling, nor does it have MIMO
  • If you're on AT&T, there's no VoLTE on the OP3

Really, the one takeaway here is that Ron is missing the point.

The Note7 is about the best that Samsung can do with what's readily available at the time of the Note7's launch. It has the best hardware they can throw at it, from their displays to the camera to the overall hardware package. The OnePlus 3 isn't about being the best overall phone. It's about being a very good smartphone at an extremely compelling price, and OnePlus has certainly succeeded in that regard.

Now, is the Note7 for everyone? Of course not. But then, neither is the OnePlus 3. The Note7 is very expensive and also might not be the top-choice for those who aren't willing to spend top-dollar on a smartphone and/or wants a stock/close-to-stock software experience with the bonus of flashing a custom ROM easily without the risk of losing warranty if he/she wants to do so. Likewise, the OP3 isn't going to be the choice for those who wants the absolute best hardware available right now, regardless of cost and would see themselves use the extras that Samsung provides in their phones.

I would actually go out on a limb and say that instead of choosing 2 OnePlus 3s for the price of one Note7, I'd get one OP3 and one Axon 7. :p

But the bottom line is that while the Note7 and OnePlus 3 have similar hardware, they are aimed at different segments of the market. The Note is strictly targeting the top-tier market while the OnePlus 3 is focused on the mid-tier market.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I didn't forget... I thought the first sentence made that clear. Obviously not.

I personally think it's the best phone right now myself. But I believe it's not completely worth $850 phone. As mentioned all the time, there is no perfect phone. It's doesn't run away in performance in tests for the price. Has the best screen but not the best speakers. There seems to be an acceptance that its not as smooth as others for the price. Maybe a few other little things. Maybe have to baby the glass a little more than you have to for a $850 phone. I think many reviewers... if the phone blew away the rest in all categories they wouldn't even make a comment on price. But it is what it is. It is the best phone but not perfect.

I'm sure it was an oversight, but you forgot to mention his statement that the Note 7 is 'the best phone available.'

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
How many people really use the s pen I have had all notes and I think I used the s pen on the note 5 may be 9 times, for an business person it's good, for others it's just so you show Others look I can write on my phone and it only cost me 800 now I can't pay my rent, it sounds funny but it happen to my friend he was short on rent just to get the note 5 some people need to get an life it's only an phone

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
How many people really use the s pen I have had all notes and I think I used the s pen on the note 5 may be 9 times, for an business person it's good, for others it's just so you show Others look I can write on my phone and it only cost me 800 now I can't pay my rent, it sounds funny but it happen to my friend he was short on rent just to get the note 5 some people need to get an life it's only an phone

It's also not the only Samsung flagship of 2016.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You're paying an almost $500 premium for that S Pen :-\

The spen is a tool, it does much more than what even many Note owners realize. I use the spen a lot and use a lot of the features. For someone that doesn't, the spen isn't worth it.

For those of us that utilize the spen, it is well worth it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

The only real world test that matters to me is whether I like the phone and it does what I want it to do. The Note 7 passed my real world test with flying colors!

Exactly! I wish more people adopted this attitude.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I use the S Pen everyday on my Note7.

It's not just a writing tool for me. I use it as a precision input device for stuff like photo editing in photo-editing apps with a brush tool such as Snapseed. It really helps because it's more precise, and I can better tame that brush so I don't end up smearing that photo.

I also use Smart Select quite often because I often see interesting stuff that takes up a portion of my screen, and it saves a lot of time to just whip out the pen and use Smart Select to capture that one area instead of taking a screenshot and cropping it.

Oh, and the GIF thing. I've been addicted to it.

I've always wondered why Note users love the S Pen so much. Now that I have a Galaxy Note device of my own, complete with a well-refined S Pen, I finally understand why. It's a great thing to have.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I use mine every day and not just for work. First there is the smart select and then the ability to sign or write on anything.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

$450 less rebates and free stuff for an s-pen, better screen, better audio (headphones), better battery life, better camera, better security, the same processor but not diminished, faster storage, faster USB speeds, wireless charging, an sd card slot, etc, etc. There's a big list comparing the features in the first post of this thread if you want a reference.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah there is different facts to consider like rebates and gifts at the time or features one phone may have that another doesn't and if you can't find the perfect one phone you have to weigh what's more important to you and choose the best phone for you if price is a factor.

I can only go from my perspective and I'll tell you mine... For getting back in the Android market I was thinking cheap lol... $400 One Plus 3 for flagship processor, memory, ram, not flagship display... I can live with. Then I found the ZTE Axon 7... Add sdcard and better screen and better audio chip and front blasting speakers that have gotten positive reviews (cameras decent on both) and i'm sold... for $400!

Then the Note 7 got announced... love the S-Pen for AOD note writing... dunno why but I feel would use all the time and huge selling point for me. And you get the best screen and camera and water resistant and before launch I thought so expensive but would bite the bullet and buy at full price monthly payment and accept it.

Right now the glass and possible weakness at the curve and maybe the possibly of it being suspect to scratching easier than I want concerns me. The performance numbers being up there but not dominantly leading and the possibly of having, not terrible, but lag issues... add that up than it bothers me for an $850 phone.

Why it's still on the top of my list?? Because I can get the phone for $600. To me... for $600 it's all worth it. If I had to pay $850... it'd be off my list.

$450 less rebates and free stuff for an s-pen, better screen, better audio (headphones), better battery life, better camera, better security, the same processor but not diminished, faster storage, faster USB speeds, wireless charging, an sd card slot, etc, etc. There's a big list comparing the features in the first post of this thread if you want a reference.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

and water resistance, iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, better screen, better camera, better battery life, screen size, software updates, security updates, dust resistance, vast accessory selection, fast charging, expandable storage.

So yeah, I am paying almost $500 extra for all of that. Every day of the week.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I think most of us here would agree the price for the Note 7 is high. I'd still buy it again over anything on the market.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac