03-04-2019 03:35 AM
182 12345 ...
tools
    This is the thing I don't get about Apple. The tech has been out for years but it only becomes relevant when Apple does it. And Apple is hailed as being innovative. How are old features deemed innovative? What is creative and original about their "new" features? 🤔
    With Apple...they do a much better job at perfecting the tech that's cutting edge. Let's face it, search this forum & you'll read complaint after complaint about iris not working or this not working or that not working.... with Apple... what's innovative is that things actually work.

Now, that being said... I crossed the aisle (after being an iPhone user) after almost 10 years. I think that Samsung, is most similar to Apple and cares as much about being first with something as much as it working (most of the time). That's why I felt it was safe enough to come to this side.

I'm not disappointed at all that I got the Note 8 vs. waiting for the iPhone 8 Plus (which would have been my upgrade from the 6s Plus)
    09-12-2017 07:05 PM
    ^ the above is true which is why the facial unlock fail was so funny today.
    09-12-2017 07:09 PM
    You can also search the forum and find people having problems with FaceID and fingerprint on the Iphone. Heck, they were even an technical problem during today's live event. So I am not sure if that's statement is true. Apple has their own problems as well with innovative technologies. They definitely don't do it better if user's complaints are to be taken seriously.
    103Softail likes this.
    09-12-2017 07:12 PM
    I don't know about everyone else but I think the coolest thing is the augmented reality and the animated emojis. Both if which haven't been mentioned in this thread. But even those won't take me away from my note 8 😁
    09-12-2017 07:15 PM
    I think the main problem I have is that Apple and the fanbased seem to look at this things as cutting edge and innovative as if Apple is changing the way we do things. If they claimed they have improved the technologies, then that's different. It would make Apple at least more honest with the public.
    09-12-2017 07:16 PM
    I was holding out on purchasing the Note 8 after the Apple event, but now I feel much better about purchasing the Note 8. Let's face it, the animoji is something 12 year old girls will enjoy. I'm a man in my 30s and I'll be happier with a Note 8 just because it has more features for less.
    Jewels81, mia_xoxo, Aquila and 2 others like this.
    09-12-2017 07:19 PM
    I think the main problem I have is that Apple and the fanbased seem to look at this things as cutting edge and innovative as if Apple is changing the way we do things. If they claimed they have improved the technologies, then that's different. It would make Apple at least more honest with the public.
    In a way though, they're sorta correct. These technologies never mattered to most of their customers until today. Because they'd never heard of them.
    09-12-2017 07:19 PM
    I was so confused...Maybe those who have only used Apple and don't follow any other tech are truly impressed. I was like, are those people paid to yell and clap on cue, cuz that's old! It was an ok show. I liked Samsung's more. I'm openly biased.
    I've been an iPhone guy for years. Never liked android. That's only because I never gave it a chance. Until Note 7. That blew me away and I hated that I had to give it back. I e been using a iPhone 7 since. I couldn't stand it after seeing what I was missing with android. So take this from an apple guy. You are absolutely right. Can't wait for my note 8 to arrive.
    103Softail and jlost like this.
    09-12-2017 07:49 PM
    Long live note 8 and death to iPhone
    jlost likes this.
    09-12-2017 07:52 PM
    Tim Cook should be ashamed. That's the best they could manage for the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone?
    103Softail likes this.
    09-12-2017 07:53 PM
    Even their waterproofing is only IP67. Not IP68 like Note 8.
    That's why they never really specifically say the rating. Because they know Samsung is better. Just like they don't EVER say how many mah the battery is. Just that it will last x amount of hours.
    09-12-2017 07:53 PM
    To be fair, their wireless charging is said to charge 3 things at the same time. If I read the report correctly.
    That's not an ability of the phone. That's some special charger that they are working on.
    09-12-2017 07:55 PM
    That's not an ability of the phone. That's some special charger that they are working on.
    Yeah, but they showed it on the Keynote. I wonder if it will work with Android since they're working with Qi.
    09-12-2017 07:56 PM
    With Apple...they do a much better job at perfecting the tech that's cutting edge. Let's face it, search this forum & you'll read complaint after complaint about iris not working or this not working or that not working.... with Apple... what's innovative is that things actually work.

Now, that being said... I crossed the aisle (after being an iPhone user) after almost 10 years. I think that Samsung, is most similar to Apple and cares as much about being first with something as much as it working (most of the time). That's why I felt it was safe enough to come to this side.

I'm not disappointed at all that I got the Note 8 vs. waiting for the iPhone 8 Plus (which would have been my upgrade from the 6s Plus)
    For me Iris unlock on my s8+ worked maybe 1 out of every 10 times (and even then ONLY if I had my glasses off). I always switch back and forth. I currently am using an iPhone 7+ and a Moto Z2 Force and will likely get the iPhone X when it is out. We will see how well the face ID works for me with a beard and glasses
    09-12-2017 07:58 PM
    For me Iris unlock on my s8+ worked maybe 1 out of every 10 times (and even then ONLY if I had my glasses off). I always switch back and forth. I currently am using an iPhone 7+ and a Moto Z2 Force and will likely get the iPhone X when it is out. We will see how well the face ID works for me with a beard and glasses
    Different experience for me. I wear glasses yet it is uncanny how fast it reads them. Often makes me wonder if it is actually secure.
    ol_jackburton and Echoes1976 like this.
    09-12-2017 08:23 PM
    Long live note 8 and death to iPhone

If the iphone died, Samsung wouldn't have any reason to provide cutting edge features/specs on their flagship phones...they would do just enough to increase sales...

Competition between apple and samsung is the reason why phones have advanced as much as they have....
    09-12-2017 08:24 PM
    I knew the Note 8 was going to be a better buy. She iPhone doesn't look bad. I would definitely recommend it. I just wouldn't buy it today over the Note 8.
    09-12-2017 08:38 PM
    I liked the look of the X, but not a fan of face only unlock. What we've come to enjoy in our premium phones for the last few years has just come to Apple, and it's going to be a big deal for them so get used to the over the top excitement from people that have never experienced OLED or wireless charging.....

And what's with the 8?? They didn't even bother to change the outside. The whole thing seemed like an afterthought. "Well we have all the tool and dies still set up for the 7, lets just slap a new chip in there and people will come running...." It's like they just phoned that one in (pun intended)...
    103Softail likes this.
    09-12-2017 08:49 PM
    I think it's incredibly stupid that iPhone left out TouchID on the iPhone X. The only way to unlock it is to get it up to your face and swiping up once it's unlocked. So dumb.

Give me a fingerprint sensor any day. It's much more convenient and I don't have to be paying attention to the front of the phone to unlock it. There's no way I'm jumping ship now. Come Friday, I'm going to Best Buy to pick up my Note 8.
    09-12-2017 09:11 PM
    Good showing by Apple.

I like how fanboys (on both sides) get caught up on the marketing message.
    09-12-2017 09:15 PM
    I was actually hyped for the iPhone X but to be honest .. I left underwhelmed. I don't like being forced to use face unlock -- I prefer a quick FP and done.

To be honest the X version is just more screen but still the same iPhone. The software changes are mainly just to adjust from the home button being gone.
    09-12-2017 09:42 PM
    I'm not a fan of face unlocking either. I'm skeptical how well it works with spectacles and sunglasses. I usually wear contact lenses, but what if I'm not?

I like a FPS better.
    modifier and badcat like this.
    09-12-2017 10:07 PM
    I'll get a iPhone 8 Plus later this year when the line dies down.
    09-12-2017 10:14 PM
    No way in hell am I paying $1149 + tax. Or for that matter $999 and tax.
    The BOGO deals for Samsung devices are a much fairer and better deal. I don't think the differences in the devices warrant shelling out that much more.
    Laura Knotek and badcat like this.
    09-13-2017 12:07 AM

Ever heard of antennagate?
    09-13-2017 04:50 AM
182 12345 ...