Thoughts on Iphone X? Are you jumping ship?

geekeedee

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I am skeptical about Face Id. I don't think Face ID is there yet. In the Apple presentation, it took an embarrassing 3 times to unlock (the third time with a backup iPhone).

What if I have an identical twin, triplet ?
What if I have a nose job, face lift, facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery ?
What if I get badly disfigured due to accidents or medical diseases ? (there are genuine medical diseases affecting faces)

I have 10 fingers. If one finger is injured and band-aided, I can use the other fingers.
I only have 1 face ...

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I look at it like this. After several Droids in my life I wanted an IPhone bad and finally got one: 5S and had that for about 4-plus years. Then a few months back I decided to upgrade to the 7 (tired of waiting for the 8 and X) and hated it. Oh so it's slightly faster, yeah it provides more storage space, and yeah a better camera but in the end it's really the same crap. So basically I have a larger more storage faster and better camera 5S for in the end the OS is the same, it's the same apps, same just about everything. And on top of that, I found the call quality sucked and to be sure it wasn't just me I Google it and there were a ton of people with the same issue.

So I returned it and got the Samsung S8+ and couldn't be happier. I love all the stuff you can do with these Droids and how easy they are to use in a way. Yeah the IPhone is an easier interface, so there is that learning curve but didn't take long for me being an IT guy and then there is my fiance who is IT clueless and is doing just fine but doesn't stop her from ******** about it.

So my interest now is kind of funny because the reason I switched to IPhone was I tired of wanting a new phone after owning it for 6-months and the Droid being slow as s*** after a period of time. I also have to say the entire time I had the IPhone 5S I never had a desire to upgrade. In fact the only reason I did was I was getting a slight desire to get something new after having it over 4 years, plus my fiance's phone was hanging by a string and a prayer.

Now we have these new IPhones showing a selling price of $999. Usually when they show their price for something it's like gas, right now they are showing you the 87-octane but once you get to the 93-octane the price jumps this much more. Usually it's due to storage from my experience and the and the physical size of the phone. I also find it stupid on their part not to embrace the use of USB-C especially since they have them now on their new laptops.

In the end, they haven't made anything at this point in time to make me want to go back to them. Also, it was such a pain to cancel the paid subscription to the iCloud (needed more space for the both of us) left a bad taste in my mouth, and also how you still can't install a SD card.

It's locked down like a frogs butt.

Also facial recognition, fingerprint scanner, and etc. Ummmm...guys....you finally catching up to that? Yeah I am going to stay right where I am. Plus I am having fun using the OTC adapters for keyboard and mouse plus other stuff I yet to do.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest this announcement was disappointing. However what always puzzle me is the excuses many will make for Apple. All of a sudden when Apple implement the same features that's been around for years, it's done right, better and just work. That's a bunch of crap. Mark my word, Apple will put a finger print scanner on the back of their phones and behold it's revolutionary and magical.lol

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
Let's be honest this announcement was disappointing. However what always puzzle me is the excuses many will make for Apple. All of a sudden when Apple implement the same features that's been around for years, it's done right, better and just work. That's a bunch of crap. Mark my word, Apple will put a finger print scanner on the back of their phones and behold it's revolutionary and magical.lol

I saw one of the reviews by someone yesterday and my non-IT-fiance kept saying: yeah we have that and that and this and that already.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wireless Charging

"The glass back enables easy wireless charging."

Um, excuse me, but when has wireless charging not been EASY? With every single phone that has had it in the past, one simply places the device on a Qi charging pad and that's it. - Another late-to-the-game feature.

Apple has a knack for dramatizing features by sprinkling in adjectives to make the uneducated consumer swoon. EASY, BEST EVER, ALL-NEW, MOST POPULAR, MOST POWERFUL, SMARTEST CHIP EVER...

Honestly, its nauseating.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's something new. Just had a quick look on YouTube at the new iPhone and some of the AR stuff is really impressive to be fair. Not enough for me to fork out over £1000 but those features are definitely pretty cool

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
The one addition that I absolutely don't understand is animated emoji. What age bracket is Apple going after here? How long until this feature burns itself out? Between that and AR, it's almost like they're aiming for a younger demographic.

It'll be interesting to see if the X gets much traction in the business/corporate/government space or it remains a consumer device. Very few devices managed under MDM allow for fancy unlock features and instead require PIN/password combos since they require the user to be conscious and cognizant of unlocking. FPS typically isn't allowed, at least not without being combined with PIN or password. Apple's new facial recognition is different, and arguably improved, but it still opens the door to unconscious unlocks.

I'm not a fan of face unlocking either. I'm skeptical how well it works with spectacles and sunglasses. I usually wear contact lenses, but what if I'm not?
What about a monocle and tophat? Perhaps that's why the release is delayed until after Halloween. Unlocking phones in costume might get interesting, let alone users' normal attire. 😁

dieselwind

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Thoughts on iPhone X? Are you jumping ship?

Yes. I have upgraded with Apple every year since the iPhone 5. The introduction of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus was the last time Apple came close to wowing me. The 6S was a better 6 and the 7 was pretty much a 6ss. The 7 plus had the dual camera - something HTC did in 2014.

The iPhone 8 is just a 6sss (maybe they should have called it a 6S3 lol...)

The iPhone X was a huge disappointment in my opinion and like I said, this is coming from someone who has been an iPhone yearly-upgrader since 2013. OLED, nice but old tech and it looks like Samsung's leftovers (600 nit brightness??) They couldn't crack the fingerprint ID, so they ditched it. Wireless charging, welcome to 2016 Apple.

Last but not least, the price point. I would have to buy the iPhone X 256gb in order to stay on par with my 7 plus storage. That's $1150 before tax (anyone else notice that they tagged another $50 to their nand memory upgrade?).

Bottomline, yes, I am jumping ship. I have a Galaxy Note 8 arriving Monday and I can't wait.

I know the iPhone X will sell. It will validate all of Apple's business decisions to produce a half-baked 10-year anniversary phone. Next year's X2 will have an iris scanner and sell for $1500. People will still buy it. Not this guy.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
They keep saying Revolutionary. The future of cell phones. Yeah, right. But then, I have zip interest in the Apple closed system and everyone who thought Note 8 was expensive had better be pointing out the price of this one in their reviews.

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I eat apples, not use them. Never have had one and never will. I'm a Samsung girl, although the Pixel is drawing my attention. Just got my Note 8, though, so it'll be awhile before I look at anything else seriously.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Been having a few more looks at the iPhone X and as much as I like a few of the new (for iPhone) features, some of the changes they've made just knock it dead on the head for me personally. I use One Handed Mode on phones a lot and relied on their Reachability mode on all my Plus sized iPhone's which reduces the screen size to reach the upper half but on iPhone X that's now gone completely despite having the biggest screen yet. Also to add to that problem you no longer drag up the bottom of the screen to get the Control Centre, instead you drag down the top right cut out of the screen and drag down the top left for Notifications. Without Reachability that's very difficult and the iPhone X is basically now a two handed phone. Siri is a long press on the power button, Apple Pay is a double press of the power button and Accessibility is a triple press. It's all very well adding fancy new features but not when you're taking away important usability features at the expense. For me IF I was going to jump back to iPhone it would be for the 8 Plus and not the X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21