Thoughts on Iphone X? Are you jumping ship?

crackercraig

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apple's iPhone X does not compare to the Note 8

Even their waterproofing is only IP67. Not IP68 like Note 8.

That's why they never really specifically say the rating. Because they know Samsung is better. Just like they don't EVER say how many mah the battery is. Just that it will last x amount of hours.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

With Apple...they do a much better job at perfecting the tech that's cutting edge. Let's face it, search this forum & you'll read complaint after complaint about iris not working or this not working or that not working.... with Apple... what's innovative is that things actually work.

Now, that being said... I crossed the aisle (after being an iPhone user) after almost 10 years. I think that Samsung, is most similar to Apple and cares as much about being first with something as much as it working (most of the time). That's why I felt it was safe enough to come to this side.

I'm not disappointed at all that I got the Note 8 vs. waiting for the iPhone 8 Plus (which would have been my upgrade from the 6s Plus)

For me Iris unlock on my s8+ worked maybe 1 out of every 10 times (and even then ONLY if I had my glasses off). I always switch back and forth. I currently am using an iPhone 7+ and a Moto Z2 Force and will likely get the iPhone X when it is out. We will see how well the face ID works for me with a beard and glasses

Isaiah Peterson

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site

For me Iris unlock on my s8+ worked maybe 1 out of every 10 times (and even then ONLY if I had my glasses off). I always switch back and forth. I currently am using an iPhone 7+ and a Moto Z2 Force and will likely get the iPhone X when it is out. We will see how well the face ID works for me with a beard and glasses
Different experience for me. I wear glasses yet it is uncanny how fast it reads them. Often makes me wonder if it is actually secure.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Long live note 8 and death to iPhone

If the iphone died, Samsung wouldn't have any reason to provide cutting edge features/specs on their flagship phones...they would do just enough to increase sales...

Competition between apple and samsung is the reason why phones have advanced as much as they have....

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I knew the Note 8 was going to be a better buy. She iPhone doesn't look bad. I would definitely recommend it. I just wouldn't buy it today over the Note 8.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I liked the look of the X, but not a fan of face only unlock. What we've come to enjoy in our premium phones for the last few years has just come to Apple, and it's going to be a big deal for them so get used to the over the top excitement from people that have never experienced OLED or wireless charging.....

And what's with the 8?? They didn't even bother to change the outside. The whole thing seemed like an afterthought. "Well we have all the tool and dies still set up for the 7, lets just slap a new chip in there and people will come running...." It's like they just phoned that one in (pun intended)...

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I think it's incredibly stupid that iPhone left out TouchID on the iPhone X. The only way to unlock it is to get it up to your face and swiping up once it's unlocked. So dumb.

Give me a fingerprint sensor any day. It's much more convenient and I don't have to be paying attention to the front of the phone to unlock it. There's no way I'm jumping ship now. Come Friday, I'm going to Best Buy to pick up my Note 8.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good showing by Apple.

I like how fanboys (on both sides) get caught up on the marketing message.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was actually hyped for the iPhone X but to be honest .. I left underwhelmed. I don't like being forced to use face unlock -- I prefer a quick FP and done.

To be honest the X version is just more screen but still the same iPhone. The software changes are mainly just to adjust from the home button being gone.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of face unlocking either. I'm skeptical how well it works with spectacles and sunglasses. I usually wear contact lenses, but what if I'm not?

I like a FPS better.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
No way in hell am I paying $1149 + tax. Or for that matter $999 and tax.
The BOGO deals for Samsung devices are a much fairer and better deal. I don't think the differences in the devices warrant shelling out that much more.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site

With Apple...they do a much better job at perfecting the tech that's cutting edge. Let's face it, search this forum & you'll read complaint after complaint about iris not working or this not working or that not working.... with Apple... what's innovative is that things actually work.

Now, that being said... I crossed the aisle (after being an iPhone user) after almost 10 years. I think that Samsung, is most similar to Apple and cares as much about being first with something as much as it working (most of the time). That's why I felt it was safe enough to come to this side.

I'm not disappointed at all that I got the Note 8 vs. waiting for the iPhone 8 Plus (which would have been my upgrade from the 6s Plus)
Ever heard of antennagate?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the look of the iPhone x, but the reason I wouldn't buy one is software not hardware. It's the same old stuff people are bored of. I have a few friends switching this year because they are just bored of the same thing year after year. I would have thought for the 10 year they would have revamped it a bit. At least let you choose where to put icons. I don't know something. Main reason I don't use an iPhone. Customization. I do love my iPad,but I don't mind it being basic for what I use it for.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, but they showed it on the Keynote. I wonder if it will work with Android since they're working with Qi.

There's no reason to believe it won't unless they mess with the Qi standard to send some Apple-specific code from their charger, and I doubt they are going to do that.

The real question is - will they support fast charge over Qi (up to 15W) or are they using the original spec (5W)? Because if they only support 5V@1A, it would be far more effective to just buy three Qi fast charge mats (and probably a lot cheaper).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Just that it will last x amount of hours.

To a degree they should be careful with that. They gave a time lifespan for the last run of Macbooks and a lot of people weren't getting anywhere near the time Apple said they would.

As for the overall thread: I thought the X was a nice refresh for the 10th anniversary. But not like I was wowed, or inclined to get one. I have been tempted to get an Apple device on a future upgrade, but I'm not sure this phone would be it. Maybe, emphasis on maybe, the standard 8. That is more of a cost issue than any other reason.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Underwhelming. Which has been the case for a number of iPhone models now. No doubt they'll sell in the bucket load though.

Agreed...I watched the event with an open mind and actually wanted to see something quite cool but it was underwhelming to say the least.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I will never own an iPhone.. it's just to under spec for me and iOS is to restricting.. My iPad drives me insane as is dealing with that damn OS.. But great tablet!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non