06-08-2011 11:20 PM
136 ... 23456
tools
    Sammy is definitely a great tech company, they make amazing TVs. But their track record on phones so far has sucked donkeys. I'm not going to chance it with them until they have gotten it right at least once. Moto and HTC have hit homerun after homerun and they don't seem to be changing the formula at this point. Maybe the SGS2 will be the one Sammy finally gets right but I'm not going to bet on it just yet. There simply isn't enough of a difference and NFC is still so new it doesn't make a bit of difference. Maybe in a year of 2, but by then everyone will have it.
    06-05-2011 08:38 PM
    Sammy is definitely a great tech company, they make amazing TVs. But their track record on phones so far has sucked donkeys. I'm not going to chance it with them until they have gotten it right at least once. Moto and HTC have hit homerun after homerun and they don't seem to be changing the formula at this point. Maybe the SGS2 will be the one Sammy finally gets right but I'm not going to bet on it just yet. There simply isn't enough of a difference and NFC is still so new it doesn't make a bit of difference. Maybe in a year of 2, but by then everyone will have it.
    It depends on what you define as homerun. The SGS1 sold very well so im not sure where you're going with that one. HTC's success lies in the fact that they put out a ton of phones every year. I mean like right now you have the Incredible 2, the Desire S, the 3D, Thunderbolt, Sensation, Inspire, etc. Now I cant speak for anyone else but ive had a ton of problems with HTC's phones.. but ive stuck with em... up until now. I mean the TP1 keyboard fiasco, the TP2 problems, the dust under the screen Heros, the light leaking/screen tearing/crack near power button Evos.. I mean no device is perfect. Im not going to sit here and hype up the SGS2 but as of right now I can definitely see myself getting it over the 3D. Wouldnt really expect many here to agree but im not loyal to a brand I just want the best option, period. And if the 3D is as laggy as the Sensation has been.. I just dont know...
    06-05-2011 08:51 PM
    I'm just gonna chime in here haha its getting pretty violent.
    I've owned the iphone4 moto atrix and the HTC inspire, and recently have received my sgs2 and am on at&t's hspa+ network.
    Boy does this thing fly. It is the best phone I have owned, not by far but it is. Smoother than my inspire though I do prefer sense. And honestly, this samoled screen is better and just more vibrant than my atrix qhd display. Just my opinion of course.
    Now the evo 3d looks amazing and no doubt will be a top tier phone for a good year with the sgs2, but I am loving this device and am not planning on crossing to sprint to pick up a 3d. Now that being said sprint members would probably be better off picking the 3d up if the sgs2 is being delayed. But if you wait for it, you will not be dissapointed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    It really does sound like an awesome phone, but I'm pretty comfortable with HTC. I know they are a good brand, and HTC/Sprint have really treated me well over the years. So to some extent there is customer loyalty involved. As long as they keep making excellent products, I will support them. I don't think the few slight improvements are enough for me to trade in my loyalty (plus, I'm a bit nervous to switch to Samsung because of their track record with phones so far).

No doubt it's a great phone, and it may be slightly better than the Evo 3D, but it won't be an earth shattering difference that will make me crap my pants. It's just another of many great phones
    06-05-2011 09:49 PM
    if the GS2 was confirmed for Sprint and had a relase date then it would be a consideration. As it stands we don't have a release date for the 3D.
    06-05-2011 09:59 PM
    Exactly mat, both of these phones are amazing and can't just beat the other one. Its all personal choice, and that's cool. Everyone needs a phone that's good for them.
    For me though, seriously I have not seen colors till I got this sgs2, and daaaang is it a night and day difference from my the inspire and atrix, just rich colors are incredible.
    And just loaded first custom rom on this bad boy, litening rom 1.1 is faaaast, and a sexy rich blue theme to boot. Overclocked also hits 3600 quadrant no custom kernels. Its nice.

yourfriendmat likes this.
    06-06-2011 12:13 AM
    SG2 lovers seem to name the amoled screen as the second coming, u can see gaps in between the pixels. Other than that the SG2 doesnt have anything other dual core phones dont have already. It was originally 1ghz they bumped it up when they heard of Evo's 1.2, samsung just wants to compete without inovation. If you get the galaxy ur gonna have a screen that gets alil brighter big deal, your gonna have crappy UI, crappy build quality, Non QHD display, bad software support (updates) and nothing revolutionary. Thinest phone my ***, what about a big battery. Come to thing about it, maybee Samsung is trying to copy the half eaten apple.
    06-06-2011 01:48 AM
    Hye why the rant? And no I can't see gaps in the pixels, its in my hand. So you are simply wrong. And third it is the thinnest phone, because it just is.
    Lets talk about phones like adults, and not just bash phones which you have ZERO idea about, because you don't have the phone, you just read about it. Until you own one, stop trolling.

06-06-2011 01:59 AM
    Hye why the rant? And no I can't see gaps in the pixels, its in my hand. So you are simply wrong. And third it is the thinnest phone, because it just is.
    Lets talk about phones like adults, and not just bash phones which you have ZERO idea about, because you don't have the phone, you just read about it. Until you own one, stop trolling.

You dont have the Evo 3d. Look close youll see em. i see em everytime i look at my friends epic. I bullet pointed very good points in my post, so what about my post was juvinile. Did I call u a poopy face or somthing. Or are you just mad because I dislike the phone ur holding. You said "And third it is the thinnest phone, because it just is", that sounds Juvinile to me. "Because it just is", ur an *****, i said nothing out of line. And Congradulations, you bought a phone that uses last years technology. SG2 sucks and apparently so do its owners. Is that adult enough for ya.
    06-06-2011 02:24 AM
    And a 1.2ghz dual core processor with 1 gig ram and 16 gig internal storage and gingerbread 2.3.3 is obviously last years technology.
    Yup, that's not wrong at all.

06-06-2011 02:27 AM
    SG2 lovers seem to name the amoled screen as the second coming, u can see gaps in between the pixels. Other than that the SG2 doesnt have anything other dual core phones dont have already. It was originally 1ghz they bumped it up when they heard of Evo's 1.2, samsung just wants to compete without inovation. If you get the galaxy ur gonna have a screen that gets alil brighter big deal, your gonna have crappy UI, crappy build quality, Non QHD display, bad software support (updates) and nothing revolutionary. Thinest phone my ***, what about a big battery. Come to thing about it, maybee Samsung is trying to copy the half eaten apple.
    I'm a new fan of Samsung. The GSII is what brought me out of the woodwork so to speak. The screen is simply the best looking screen out there right now. Does it make other screens look like garbage? Not at all but it definitely is the screen to beat.

I am not a fan of manufacturer UIs either. Sense and Blur are not mt cup of tea but if I had to choose between the 3 I'd choose TouchWiz 4.0 because of one reason. Its unobtrusive.

To be honest HTC wont get me as a customer because of one reason. They are a company like RIM. They pump out 2000 phones a week and skimp on Q&A. They over saturate the market with product and don't focus on quality in my opinion.

I really liked Motorola handsets but they have failed to really improve their hardware. They don't innovate they renovate.

Samsung on the other hand has really stepped up to the plate. The huge jump in tech from the first Galaxy S to the 2 has shown me they are a company that knows what its customers want. I've turned into a big fan but let's see if they can continue this trend of putting out cutting edge hardware ahead of Moto and HTC. LG is another threat on the Android field but that's another thread.

Anyway, show a little respect for the mods. They asked you nicely to bring it down a couple notches. Phones are NOT an extension of ourselves so chill

Sent from my Droid
    06-06-2011 10:44 AM
    Back to the topic at hand..

This feels much like the time I had to decide between the Evo 4G and Epic 4G. HTC has better and more timely software support, as well as a stronger developer community (if you are into rooting and ROMs). Samsung OTOH beats them out on hardware with a better screen, faster processor, better GPU, etc. I chose the Epic assuming that software would be equalized thanks to the developer community, however that never happened. But even with weak dev support, I'm very happy with the hardware and the ROMs that are available for the Galaxy S.
    06-06-2011 03:43 PM
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...ed-sprint.html
    Now what do I do?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    06-06-2011 03:49 PM
    Back to the topic at hand..

This feels much like the time I had to decide between the Evo 4G and Epic 4G. HTC has better and more timely software support, as well as a stronger developer community (if you are into rooting and ROMs). Samsung OTOH beats them out on hardware with a better screen, faster processor, better GPU, etc. I chose the Epic assuming that software would be equalized thanks to the developer community, however that never happened. But even with weak dev support, I'm very happy with the hardware and the ROMs that are available for the Galaxy S.
    Except the OG evo got demolished in the Gpu department the first time around. This time both cpu and gpu are extremely close.

Anandtechs first review of the mdp showed it was better overall then the tegra 2. Even the more recent review they had showed the actual chips in the new htc devices was about what they were expecting if you accounted for the lower clock speed. Not to mention the fact the SG2 has to push less pixels with its lower res screen.

Cpu and Gpu this time around is to close to call.
    06-06-2011 04:02 PM
    Its like whatever phone you get its gonna be amazing anyways. I would have either phone I just happen to have a sgs2 first. No one should hate on either of these phones. They are premier flagship 4g or 3.5g dual core monsters devices for 2011. Pick your carrier, and get the sgs2. Unless your lucky and are on sprint and can decide between the two.
    And on the dev side for the sgs2. Its not even out in the states yet and we have one click root, about 4 solid roms that I know of, (plug here for litening rom here, it owns ) and customs overclock and underclocked kernels for days. Also no bugs that I'm aware of. No galaxy s fiasco here. This is the real deal. And cm7 is in the works as of Saturday I believe.
    So whoever chooses the evo 3d over the sgs2, good for you. Its gonna be amazing and no doubt revolutionary device. But do not make the decision based on dev support or samsungs reputation. Cause they have begun anew.

06-06-2011 04:12 PM
    Btw anjaco I envy you I want that GSII in a bad way lol. Glad you are enjoying it!!

Sent from my Droid
    06-06-2011 04:17 PM
    Regardless of which company you like best it's a WIN WIN situation for us the consumer as HTC and Sammy are always gonna try to out do each other bringing better phones and we gotta love that!
    06-06-2011 04:21 PM
    Except the OG evo got demolished in the Gpu department the first time around. This time both cpu and gpu are extremely close.

Anandtechs first review of the mdp showed it was better overall then the tegra 2. Even the more recent review they had showed the actual chips in the new htc devices was about what they were expecting if you accounted for the lower clock speed. Not to mention the fact the SG2 has to push less pixels with its lower res screen.

Cpu and Gpu this time around is to close to call.
    This is true, hardware is closer this time around - however the GS2 still edges out the E3D. One good everyday-use indication is that there is noticeable slowdown with the E3D when running a live wallpaper, and none with the GS2. But this could be due to the Sense UI. And you're right about the Evo actually having a higher resolution this time - however the reviews I've seen say that overall, the SAMOLED+ experience is better. I'll have to see that one for myself though.
    06-06-2011 04:27 PM
    To be honest HTC wont get me as a customer because of one reason. They are a company like RIM. They pump out 2000 phones a week and skimp on Q&A.

Samsung on the other hand has really stepped up to the plate.
    It's fine to like one manufacturer over the other but you should at least get your facts straight first if that is what you are going to base your decision on.

Samsung sold over 280 million handsets last year. By comparison HTC sold a total of 20 million devices last year. If you want to compare smartphone to smartphone numbers it's a little harder but Samsung sold over 10 million Galaxy S devices in 2010 alone.

The Samsung Nexus S 4G is plagued with issues.

All devices have issues and features that some will like more than others. One is not better than the other. As of now, I prefer HTC because it's a real device announced for Sprint and it has a huge developer following. If/when the Sprint version of the Galaxy S2 comes out I will certainly take a look at it though.
    06-06-2011 04:29 PM
    Ha ck I can tell. Your gonna love it. Just an unreal experience.
    And rag honestly you do have to see the samoled in person to believe it, I thought it was just a normal screen in videos, but when its in person, dang its fancy, my friends jealous cause his iphone4 screen just doesn't pop.
    But he also was jealous that the iphone4 screen wasn't as sharp as the qhd my atrix had.
    Both these new displays put old stevey to shame haha

06-06-2011 04:31 PM
    No problem, I think they will both be great phones that will have different strengths and weaknesses.
    06-06-2011 04:32 PM
    I still haven't decided which to get, even thought I put my preorder in for the E3D, I just heard the Samsung Within might be released in late July. I might give the Evo a spin and move to the GS2......The only thing holding me back is all the problems I keep seeing with the GS2's screen. I was browsing the GS2 forums and there seems to be a lot of issues with it not to mention overheating......

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    06-06-2011 04:54 PM
    This is true, hardware is closer this time around - however the GS2 still edges out the E3D. One good everyday-use indication is that there is noticeable slowdown with the E3D when running a live wallpaper, and none with the GS2. But this could be due to the Sense UI. And you're right about the Evo actually having a higher resolution this time - however the reviews I've seen say that overall, the SAMOLED+ experience is better. I'll have to see that one for myself though.
    It could also be due to the asynchronous processors on the latest HTC devices.
    06-06-2011 04:59 PM
    Pepper from me personally I have had zero issues with the screnn. No yellow tint or anything. And I am overclocked and no overheating. Maybe they got bad devices? I know I ordered from a new shipment

06-06-2011 05:01 PM
    Score another point for the S2! This is awesome! Funny how HTC was locking and encrypting the 3D a few weeks ago to prevent this kind of thing, idiots.

CyanogenMod coming to the Galaxy S 2, thanks to Samsung | Android Central
    06-06-2011 05:06 PM
    ^ I just saw that. VERY cool. With Samsung getting better at software updates and now becoming more developer friendly (and still maintaining better hardware), they are poising themselves to overtake HTC in the hardcore community.
    06-06-2011 05:14 PM
136 ... 23456