Evo 3D vs. Galaxy Within

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
NFC is stupid , it didnt work with credit cards so why the big deal now.

because the point is now you don't have to carry your credit cards. your phone is now your wallet. I welcome the concept, but I'm wary of the implementation taking off similar to Japan for instance... retailers just won't want to spend the money to upgrade for a little convenience.

That and if reliability were upped some. McDonalds and 7-11 were the only places RFID swiping worked well and quickly.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I usually don't. overall benchmarks are usually garbage and cpu benchmarks don't really depict how responsive a phone will be. BUT, gpu benchmarks (which is all i posted) are usually a great indication of how well games will run on the device.

Yes and that's the part that kinda gives me a bit of benchmark envy when it comes to the Galaxy S2, in every gpu benchmark it just blows everything else out of the water. Just for kicks, download Nenamark2 on your current phone and run it and then take a look at the results browser. This is a pretty new benchmark and brings everything to its knees. There are some entries for the Sensation in there and it scores around 26. The 1.5 Ghz single core HTC Flyer does around 12 if I remember correctly, my Evo 4G does 6! The GS2 does 46! On the graph the GS2 sticks out like a sore thumb, and this pattern is repeated on every other gpu benchmark too.

Another thing that bugs me in the Sensation reviews I read so far was a comment from a reviewer saying how lag becomes a problem when you load up quite a few widgets and enable live wallpapers. That was always a problem on the Evo 4g, and I was hoping it wouldn't be a probelm anymore on the Evo 3d, but apparently, it still will be. I just hate having a phone with awesome specs and then seeing some live wallpapers making it struggle! That's like paying 5 grand for a super pc and it won't play the game smoothly on the highest settings that you build it for.

That, and that alone makes me have GS2 benchmark envy!

This being said, I really haven't seen the GS2 perform with as nice as a live wallpaper running in the background as what the weather live wallpaper is that HTC provides. Either way, I am sticking to the Evo 3d, it has everything else I want, it's just a matter of balancing out the eye candy, and once it gets the ICS update, who knows how much performance it will gain since then dual cores will finally be supported. I know Gingerbread made a huge difference on my Evo 4g after I updated it yesterday.

anon(197032)

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
because the point is now you don't have to carry your credit cards. your phone is now your wallet. I welcome the concept, but I'm wary of the implementation taking off similar to Japan for instance... retailers just won't want to spend the money to upgrade for a little convenience.

That and if reliability were upped some. McDonalds and 7-11 were the only places RFID swiping worked well and quickly.

Phones are easy to hack (especially android) and you want to give them access to your funds because you want your wallet to be a couple credit cards lighter, ridicules.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me in the Sensation reviews I read so far was a comment from a reviewer saying how lag becomes a problem when you load up quite a few widgets and enable live wallpapers. That was always a problem on the Evo 4g, and I was hoping it wouldn't be a probelm anymore on the Evo 3d, but apparently, it still will be. I just hate having a phone with awesome specs and then seeing some live wallpapers making it struggle! That's like paying 5 grand for a super pc and it won't play the game smoothly on the highest settings that you build it for.

That, and that alone makes me have GS2 benchmark envy!
This is why they need to start packing these phones with 1+ GIGS of RAM. Anything less and the handset will struggle when you try to fully take advantage of Android (Live Wallpapers, widgets etc etc)

Anything less than a GIG and I will not purchase the handset no matter how much I like it. 768MB is ridiculous in this day and age when they are really pushing these skins and phones to the limits.

The low memory on the EVO 3D is inexcusable. Word to Motorola and HTC. Start packing some RAM into your phones because Samsung and LG are about to surpass you with superior equipment.

I made a prediction in another thread and I stand by it. Samsung and LG will be THE premier Android devices to own moving forward. Moto and HTC are clueless. By the time they figure out the RAM issue Samsung and LG will packing over a GIG in their handsets. And so it goes

Over-iOS

May 20, 2011
Visit site
This is why they need to start packing these phones with 1+ GIGS of RAM. Anything less and the handset will struggle when you try to fully take advantage of Android (Live Wallpapers, widgets etc etc)

Anything less than a GIG and I will not purchase the handset no matter how much I like it. 768MB is ridiculous in this day and age when they are really pushing these skins and phones to the limits.

The low memory on the EVO 3D is inexcusable. Word to Motorola and HTC. Start packing some RAM into your phones because Samsung and LG are about to surpass you with superior equipment.

I made a prediction in another thread and I stand by it. Samsung and LG will be THE premier Android devices to own moving forward. Moto and HTC are clueless. By the time they figure out the RAM issue Samsung and LG will packing over a GIG in their handsets. And so it goes

The evo doesn't have low memory.
What are you referring to?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No Notification Light = No Sell

From all the videos I have seen, I don't think the GS2 has a notification LED, I might be wrong though.

What is up with the misconception that the E3d only has 768MB like the Sensation? Unless there was a last minute change and the bean counters decided it's a great idea to rip some ram out of the E3d, it should have the from Sprint officially announced 1GB of ram.

Yes, Sense is pretty intense on the processor, uses up more memory too, so I hope that things will have less lag on the E3d. The Sensation seems perfectly fine without a live wallpaper, check out this "multitasking" comparison video from our friend Sam, the guy loves the GS2 but he does try to be fair.

YouTube - ‪samjpullen's Channel‬‏

In the real world, you will never know the difference between the two. The more I like at these comparison videos, the more I like the cohesive look of Sense. Touchwhiz is looking uglier and uglier to me every day.

The browser on the GS2 seems to handle flash videos better and also seems to be a bit smoother, but I don't think I'll miss that in the real world. In the end, they are both great phones and everyone has to make their own decision on which they like better. For me it's the E3d.

Now lets see what that Photon 4G looks like.....
June 9th.

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site

What are you talking about? The SG2 has the same RAM as the EVO 3D.....1GB.

Do you mean storage? Because the EVO 3D has 4GB of storage. Considering the OG EVO had 1GB of internal and no one really gave a damn, I think that's more then sufficient.

FYI I'm not sure if anyone remembers but everyone was just as excited about the Epic 4G last year as they are about the upcoming SG2 phones. That is until they realized how much of a POS company Samsung was and many became soured on them. I can't even remember how many anti-Samsung/anti-Epic4g threads their was when no update was in sight lol. I can't wait for all these people to get the Within and the same thing happen to them rofl.

Like I said before....if you are in the U.S. and you own a Samsung phone, YOU WILL get f*cked over.

The instank, briefly the intercept, and lastly the Epic 4g are more then enough evidence to this and that's only the ones I owned.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? The SG2 has the same RAM as the EVO 3D.....1GB.

Do you mean storage? Because the EVO 3D has 4GB of storage. Considering the OG EVO had 1GB of internal and no one really gave a damn, I think that's more then sufficient.

FYI I'm not sure if anyone remembers but everyone was just as excited about the Epic 4G last year as they are about the upcoming SG2 phones. That is until they realized how much of a POS company Samsung was and many became soured on them. I can't even remember how many anti-Samsung/anti-Epic4g threads their was when no update was in sight lol. I can't wait for all these people to get the Within and the same thing happen to them rofl.

Like I said before....if you are in the U.S. and you own a Samsung phone, YOU WILL get f*cked over.

The instank, briefly the intercept, and lastly the Epic 4g are more then enough evidence to this and that's only the ones I owned.

When they anounced the Epic, I was very tempted to return my Evo. What kept me from doing it was the physical keyboard. Coming from the Pre, I knew I didn't want another loose feeling affair in my hand, and in the end, I am very happy I kept my Evo. The wait on Froyo on the Epic was excruciating I am sure! My buddy got an Epic, and man that thing just felt weird in the hand. Yes, again, the screen looked great, and the Hummingbird was a screamer, but in the end, I am glad I kept the Evo. With the E3d I will finally get all I missed on the Evo 4g, and then some!

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
From all the videos I have seen, I don't think the GS2 has a notification LED, I might be wrong though.

What is up with the misconception that the E3d only has 768MB like the Sensation? Unless there was a last minute change and the bean counters decided it's a great idea to rip some ram out of the E3d, it should have the from Sprint officially announced 1GB of ram.

Yes, Sense is pretty intense on the processor, uses up more memory too, so I hope that things will have less lag on the E3d. The Sensation seems perfectly fine without a live wallpaper, check out this "multitasking" comparison video from our friend Sam, the guy loves the GS2 but he does try to be fair.

YouTube - ‪samjpullen's Channel‬‏

In the real world, you will never know the difference between the two. The more I like at these comparison videos, the more I like the cohesive look of Sense. Touchwhiz is looking uglier and uglier to me every day.

The browser on the GS2 seems to handle flash videos better and also seems to be a bit smoother, but I don't think I'll miss that in the real world. In the end, they are both great phones and everyone has to make their own decision on which they like better. For me it's the E3d.

Now lets see what that Photon 4G looks like.....
June 9th.

Thanks for the video. Again, I am amazed at how awful the Sensation's display is compared to the S2, its night and day. Look how blown out the highlights are and how washed out and mute the colors are. Unacceptable for a new phone of this caliber. TW might not have all the pretty eye candy but it uses less memory and is more efficient judging from all the reviews and what people on here have to say.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the video. Again, I am amazed at how awful the Sensation's display is compared to the S2, its night and day. TW might not have all the pretty eye candy but it uses less memory and is more efficient judging from all the reviews and what people on here have to say.

Looking at a dispaly through a camera and real life is a totally different thing. I have watched quite a few videos of the Thunderbolt and thought the display looked just like the Evo 4gs, well, it doesn't. The other day I got to play with one and the difference was quite noticeable.

Also, we know by now that the Sensation has a bad viewing angle tha the SG2 is not suffering from. In most videos the position of the filming camera just helps to make the Sensation look even worse.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Looking at a dispaly through a camera and real life is a totally different thing. I have watched quite a few videos of the Thunderbolt and thought the display looked just like the Evo 4gs, well, it doesn't. The other day I got to play with one and the difference was quite noticeable.

Also, we know by now that the Sensation has a bad viewing angle tha the SG2 is not suffering from. In most videos the position of the filming camera just helps to make the Sensation look even worse.

Agreed. In videos the Sensation(QHD LCD) looks awful but I just got done playing with a Thunderbolt and a Droid Charge(SAMOLED+) and the qHD looked fantastic!! Don't go by videos.People should go to a VZW store and see for themselves.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site

I dont know, sounds like excuses to me. People try to blame the Sensations poor screen on glare or angle etc...Why does the S2's display look great in every video then? I have yet to see even one video where the Sensation looks good. The colors are way off, the blacks arent really black and the highlights are blown out, just like my Evo 4G was.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I dont know, sounds like excuses to me. People try to blame the Sensations poor screen on glare or angle etc...Why does the S2's display look great in every video then? I have yet to see even one video where the Sensation looks good. The colors are way off, the blacks arent really black and the highlights are blown out, just like my Evo 4G was.

Well, the "excuse" is the actual problem, it's the viewing angle.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. In videos the Sensation(QHD LCD) looks awful but I just got done playing with a Thunderbolt and a Droid Charge(SAMOLED+) and the qHD looked fantastic!! Don't go by videos.People should go to a VZW store and see for themselves.

I was referring to the difference between between the regular lcd of the Evo 4G and super lcd screen of the Thunderbolt, however the Thunderbolt does not have a qHD display, it's just WVGA.

HTC ThunderBolt specs - Phone Arena

What I am not sure about though is the color depth. The Evos screen only has 65k colors, I think the Tbolt has 16 million and so do the Sensation and the Evo 3d.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Guess we will have to wait and see it in person but if you have to hold your phone directly in front of you for it to look even somewhat nice, not too great.

I always hold my phone directly in front of me...but anyways, this is the Sensation, we will have to see what the Evo 3d looks like.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I always hold my phone directly in front of me...but anyways, this is the Sensation, we will have to see what the Evo 3d looks like.

Even when watching a 2 hour movie? I dont. I set it down or prop it up against something, so that right there is gonna kill it for the Sensation IMO.