I just talked to a sprint customer service rep. And to my "surprise" I've been lied to again. I upgraded with the intention to utilize the new 4g tower coming to my town. Well it just so happens when we upgraded we were told we would be able to use the new 4g service. Well I can't. Because my photon is only compatible with wimax not lte. Is there anyway I can get around this. Other than the reasonable bill and better then T-Mobile service I was used to I've been VERY displeased with sprint. One lie after another. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    10-01-2012 08:21 PM
    No way my friend. Photon 4g is WIMAX based, no way to change this because its the radio chip that controls the frequency/signal which it receives and transmits on.

The only benefit you will get to your Photon 4g is as Sprint is doing its Network Vision upgrade to the new LTE-4g network they are also improving and upgrading their current 3g network. WIMAX-4g will not have any improvements or upgrades done, it will remains as is until its service is shut down in 2014/2015 whenever the exact date comes.
    10-01-2012 08:23 PM
    That's what I was afraid of. My advice everyone stay away from sprint. Never have I been lied to this much.
    10-01-2012 08:31 PM
    I'm not sure exactly how this happened to be honest. From the moment we were told about Sprint switching over to LTE-4g it was always made well known that you would have to buy a new device supporting LTE and that NONE of the WIMAX devices would ever support LTE.

Sprint Photon 4g was released long before this was ever was ever put into effect.

I wouldn't be so mad with Sprint itself as I would with whatever carrier store/or rep told you this information.

Sorry this happened even though nothing I can say will change things.
    10-01-2012 08:37 PM
    I just talked to a sprint customer service rep. And to my "surprise" I've been lied to again. I upgraded with the intention to utilize the new 4g tower coming to my town. Well it just so happens when we upgraded we were told we would be able to use the new 4g service. Well I can't. Because my photon is only compatible with wimax not lte. Is there anyway I can get around this. Other than the reasonable bill and better then T-Mobile service I was used to I've been VERY displeased with sprint. One lie after another. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Well - you may be in luck!
    All 4 major carriers in the USA have a 14 day return period for any new contracts / extensions / devices sold direct.

Call them back and inform them you are now aware of this - and get your RMA number/authorization ( DO NOT SEND OUR PHONE WITHOUT GETTING AN RMA AUTHORIZATION)

Hope you aren't past your 14 days!

Also sprint has outsourced to ... non clearly speaking english representatives.
    Best chance for someone you can clearly interact with, contact sales, and then get transferred!

sorry your photon's 100mb/s wimax capable antenna can't get any coverage yet!

I am forced to ask - do you really need 4g? sprint's 3g with 2 bars on a photon will get a guaranteed 1mb/s down and .75mb/s up - I have never seen anything less and I am in a rural country setting that was last to get the 3g backhaul - I was disgusted at the fact I couldn't stream an hd youtube video - now I have more bandwidth than necessary, still needing my unlimited data.

Don't forget you can roam to verizon free - unthrottled - and at will with a photon on sprint. up to 300mb monthly for data

Hope your day got better!

- - - Updated - - -

Well - you may be in luck!
    All 4 major carriers in the USA have a 14 day return period for any new contracts / extensions / devices sold direct.

Call them back and inform them you are now aware of this - and get your RMA number/authorization ( DO NOT SEND OUR PHONE WITHOUT GETTING AN RMA AUTHORIZATION)

Hope you aren't past your 14 days!

Also sprint has outsourced to ... non clearly speaking english representatives.
    Best chance for someone you can clearly interact with, contact sales, and then get transferred!

sorry your photon's 100mb/s wimax capable antenna can't get any coverage yet!

I am forced to ask - do you really need 4g? sprint's 3g with 2 bars on a photon will get a guaranteed 1mb/s down and .75mb/s up - I have never seen slower speeds with at least 2 bars and I am in a rural country setting that was last to get the 3g backhaul - I was disgusted at the fact I couldn't stream an hd youtube video - now I have more bandwidth than necessary, still needing my unlimited data.

Don't forget you can roam to verizon free - unthrottled - and at will with a photon on sprint. up to 300mb monthly for data

Hope your day got better!
    10-04-2012 11:04 AM