Car Chargers for Pixel 2 XL?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I would have spent my money on a USA SPEC bluetooth kit for about $100. Then installed it myself or had a pro do it for $50-$100. Your phone is going to charge slow. In a 30 minute drive my Aukey car Quick Charger 3.0 will only do about 30%. You are going to see very little juice out of that thing if anything during your drive.

It'll charge fine. It won't fast charge but it should do just fine at a "normal" charging rate, and it will work great for keeping it charged while navigating, etc.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I would have spent my money on a USA SPEC bluetooth kit for about $100. Then installed it myself or had a pro do it for $50-$100. Your phone is going to charge slow. In a 30 minute drive my Aukey car Quick Charger 3.0 will only do about 30%. You are going to see very little juice out of that thing if anything during your drive.

Well the choice is between changing head units for a lot of $$$ or a $20 piece I can move around between cars. Also, I usually only use my car charges as a way to keep a phone topped up while using navigation. I generally leave home with full charge and I charge at the office using the USB-C of my laptop at work if needed. 99% of the time I hop into the car, my phone has more than enough juice.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's not a power delivery compliant charger. And he probably is buying a 2 XL. It will charge slow. Not to mention you have to use the right cable too.

It won't charge slow. It will charge at a normal non-quick charge rate. Certainly not as fast as quick charge with a PD charger of course, but it will work fine.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the Google one for $35. For a car charger that's a bit pricey, but it's Google approved so it should be fine.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The car charger in the Google Store is the same $18 car charger sold by Belkin on Amazon.com.

Belkin USB-C Car Charger with 4-Foot Hardwired USB-C Cable (USB Type C) (3 Amp / 15 Watt) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUVNHY...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6017337

Well sir I thank you for saving me $17 and change! **Tip of the Hat**

**Edit**
As long as it quick charges I'm happy. I have a tronsmart one from 2 years ago which still works but would probably charge slow.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
It's not a power delivery compliant charger. And he probably is buying a 2 XL. It will charge slow. Not to mention you have to use the right cable too.

No I'm just getting the smaller Pixel 2 to replace my 6P. I'm using the charger now for my 6P, charges in the car fine. It's definitely not as fast as the supplied fast wall charger of the 6P. However it does a much better job than most other "car chargers" I've borrowed while traveling.

Those chargers a lot of people use to charge their iPhones in their cars just slows down the rate my phone was discharging rather than actually charging it. :D

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Read the reviews before you buy! Sounds like Google wants you to use their charger after one of the reviews I read. The chargers look the exact same to me. Like I've said before, Benson Leung has picked out one Pixel charger on Amazon and it doesn't have the greatest reviews.

I remember that one. The vinsinc one i believe. It didn't have cables, it was just the nub for the cigarette lighter. You were right though, this is the exact same charger in Google's website down to specs and everything. It should be ok. It matches Google's website. We'll see soon enough. I can't wait to get my hands on this phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the Google one for $35. For a car charger that's a bit pricey, but it's Google approved so it should be fine.

I felt that way when I bought the "Google approved" Belkin USB-C PD car charger last year for the Pixel XL, until it was revealed to be non-compliant with the mandated USB-C PD specs, occasionally actually actively discharging current into my car's electrical system... Belkin went on to recall the product, offering refunds or a lower model as a replacement, but Google continued to maintain it on their site for a very long time even after being advised of the non-compliance issue.

That said, the one currently offered should be fine, though it isn't USB-C PD compliant, so won't offer the fastest charging.

I'm not sure, but it appears from general reading that Google is only supporting USB-C PD for full rapid-charging, and not embracing all of the fast-charging methods afforded by Qualcomm's QuickCharge 4.0 (which is baked into the Snapdragon 835, and has full integration of the USB-C PD specs). This would allow for a much wider array of possible rapid-charging solutions.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Couple of important notes:

Regarding the Belkin charger, the one they introduced supporting USB-C PD around the time of the first Pixels is NON-COMPLIANT and potentially dangerous, to the point Belkin actually acknowledged the issue and offered refunds / other-model replacements. I don't know if the ones available online are updated and fixed or not, but even if so, I'd be hesitant to buy from any 3rd party to avoid getting the old stock (again presuming the item was updated to be compliant). What did non-compliant mean? What I noticed was that with the ignition off and the phone connected, it would actually actively discharge the phone dumping power into the outlet (PD can operate 2-way) potentially damaging the car's electrical system, and in violation of the spec.

Regarding other chargers that are 'QC' or 'PowerIQ,' etc... Pixels won't charge at truly high speeds with those, as they aren't running under the Qualcomm QC specifications.

The one I've been using the past few months indicates it is PD-compliant, and seems to be operating at the full rapid-speed, with none of the quirky discharge issues from Belkin, but I can't say with authority if it is fully compliant or not. It doesn't support all of the PD charging voltage combos, but does support the 2A/9V peak one used on the Pixel ('16) and is inexpensive, with a regular USB-out as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747669PT/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6023398

Thanks for this. I had another one I used for my Pixel XL that worked fine, but didn't seem to always rapid charge for some reason (only sometimes). It was USB PD, had the 9 X 2 output, but still was inconsistent regarding rapid charging. Still it worked fine.

I picked up the one you mentioned here and it does seem to always rapid charge, which is great. Thanks for the info.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been using this for my 6P the past two years :

AUKEY Car Charger with USB C Port & Dual AiPower Ports for LG G5, Nexus 6P/5X, Samsung, iPhone & More | Qualcomm Certified https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TGGH4...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6027116

It does rapid charging through the USB C port for my 6P while allowing charging for other USB A devices. Haven't had any problems with it.

I just want to confirm with everyone that the above charger that I've had for a few years continues to work well with the Pixel 2, rapid charging and all. I would highly recommend it.

shafty023

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just want to confirm with everyone that the above charger that I've had for a few years continues to work well with the Pixel 2, rapid charging and all. I would highly recommend it.

Which of the 3 ports does the quick charge on your pixel 2? The USB c port or the two green AiPower ports?

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks to this thread I didn't buy the wrong kind I may used to the LG g and v series So I was looking for USB c qc3 instead of PD USB c so Thanks

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You cannot Fast Change the Pixel with USB-A ports from any chargers. If you see your Pixel Fast Charging when it's plugged into an USB-A port you better unplug it fast, because that means you are using a cable the doesn't properly follow the USB-C specification and could damage your device or the charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon