Car Chargers for Pixel 2 XL?

WingsFan87

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Preorded 2 Pixel 2 XL's for my wife and I from VZW. We would like to know what is the best car charger to purchase?

Should we go with a charger VZW recommends or is there a version on Amazon we could get? Google store doesn't show any car chargers.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Couple of important notes:

Regarding the Belkin charger, the one they introduced supporting USB-C PD around the time of the first Pixels is NON-COMPLIANT and potentially dangerous, to the point Belkin actually acknowledged the issue and offered refunds / other-model replacements. I don't know if the ones available online are updated and fixed or not, but even if so, I'd be hesitant to buy from any 3rd party to avoid getting the old stock (again presuming the item was updated to be compliant). What did non-compliant mean? What I noticed was that with the ignition off and the phone connected, it would actually actively discharge the phone dumping power into the outlet (PD can operate 2-way) potentially damaging the car's electrical system, and in violation of the spec.

Regarding other chargers that are 'QC' or 'PowerIQ,' etc... Pixels won't charge at truly high speeds with those, as they aren't running under the Qualcomm QC specifications.

The one I've been using the past few months indicates it is PD-compliant, and seems to be operating at the full rapid-speed, with none of the quirky discharge issues from Belkin, but I can't say with authority if it is fully compliant or not. It doesn't support all of the PD charging voltage combos, but does support the 2A/9V peak one used on the Pixel ('16) and is inexpensive, with a regular USB-out as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747669PT/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6015528

shasticat

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I've been using this for my 6P the past two years :

AUKEY Car Charger with USB C Port & Dual AiPower Ports for LG G5, Nexus 6P/5X, Samsung, iPhone & More | Qualcomm Certified https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TGGH4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Eg03zbC9GDFSB?tag=androidcentral00-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6016245

It does rapid charging through the USB C port for my 6P while allowing charging for other USB A devices. Haven't had any problems with it.

My friend has exactly like this one and he is very happy with this charger. Didn't have any issues as well.

khw71471

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Preorded 2 Pixel 2 XL's for my wife and I from VZW. We would like to know what is the best car charger to purchase?

Should we go with a charger VZW recommends or is there a version on Amazon we could get? Google store doesn't show any car chargers.
No. Get this one. It charges both USB C and Mini... or regular... And its a battery! Charges close to full without being plugged in. It was 24 at Best Buy.
bac341bd36f4bc23a841739d7566d166.jpg
1e39198fea752ddea676ddf209fecf91.jpg

Last edited:

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I got this one:

8yGmwXt.jpg

I don't have a BT radio on my car so I needed one with an BT>FM transmitter. It's not a fast charger (just 2.1A) but it should be enough given my drives generally last 30mins or more at a time. It also has 2 USB ports which balances output automatically so my wife can charge her phone as well if she needs to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome