Screen protector?

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
So I was browsing through the cases thread looking to see what people are getting and shocked to see so much screen protector talk. I haven't used a screen protector in my last 3 - 5 phones, pocket them and throw them in bags, and my fiance throws hers in her purse with god knows what in there. Neither of us have ever had an issue and I have honestly never been concerned about it since gorilla glass has become a thing.

So my question, are you using a screen protector? Why does it seem so many are when these screens are made to be scratch resistant? Have we just been super lucky to have not had a scratch?

I don't like the look or feel of the protector so if it's not necessary except for the very unlucky .00001% I'll take my chances but it seems like many more people are using them than I would have guessed so maybe I am just asking for it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well depends on the type of screen protector and your usual location. For example, if you live near a beach or is often going to the beach, sand is harder than gorilla glass so your phone will more likely end up being scratched.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm a carpenter so I always use a screen protector. I'm pretty sure my screen would be all scratched up if I left it bare. And I'm not willing to leave it bare to find out if I'm right or not...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I use one as an extra later of protection vs scratches (I live by the beach), but also as an extra layer vs fractures - drops that might shatter the bare screen will sometimes only crack the SP (kind of like how a bundle of reeds is stronger than a single one).

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had screen protectors on all my phones...not going to stop now. Especially for the price I paid on the XL lol.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just check out the reviews of most tempered glass protectors. Not really worth it. Just be careful with dirt/sand that's about the only thing that will scratch gorilla glass. Keys, pocket coins etc. has never ever scratched a single phone I've owned since gorilla glass was introduced. But dirt/sand will definitely leave micro scratches. So if you work or play around dirt/sand. i.e. the beach or construction job. Then a protector is a must. Glass or plastic will do. I recommend the plastic ones over tempered glass.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've used tempered glass on most of my phones. I opted for a Skinomi this time for my Pixel 2. I've used a Skinomi on the S7 Edge that I used to have. Worked fine for scratch protection and screen touch sensitivity was fine also.

turbocycle

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's not about protection of the screen, or even scratches; it's about preserving the oleophobic coating on the glass.
I seem to wear out the coating within a few months, leaving shiny areas that make the phone look worn out.

By using a tempered glass protector, I can replace it with a fresh one every few months and keep the oleophobic coating on the phone glass pristine.

I'd be curious to know if others experience wearing of the coating?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's not about protection of the screen, or even scratches; it's about preserving the oleophobic coating on the glass.
I seem to wear out the coating within a few months, leaving shiny areas that make the phone look worn out.

By using a tempered glass protector, I can replace it with a fresh one every few months and keep the oleophobic coating on the phone glass pristine.

I'd be curious to know if others experience wearing of the coating?

It will wear over time, but the quality of the coating on the screen itself is far better than that on a SP. Just don't use alcohol wipes to clean the screen... That will strip the coating much more quickly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2