Google Places LiveCase

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I had spent this much on my Pixel 2 XL "Just Black" I decided to spend $50 at the Google Store and get a Google made "Live Case". I chose the "Places" theme and chose a stylized map of where I spent my childhood. It brings back so many memories.

There is a place in the middle of the back you can long press to bring up any app of your choice!

The case comes with a companion app that has the same stylized map to be used as wallpaper and an app option that will show a stylized map of my current location. This is so ultra-cool!

I'm really pleased with how the case came out and how well it is made. It is extremely light and will give my pixel 2 XL an absolutely "one-of-a-kind" look. I'll add a photo of my new Pixel 2 XL in the LiveCase when it arrives next week.
LiveCase1.jpgLiveCase2.jpgLiveCase3.jpg

Last edited:

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
@TraderGary: What do you mean by, "There is a place in the middle of the back you can long press to bring up any app of your choice!"

You're talking about pressing the fingerprint sensor and it brings up an app?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Google Live Cases when first introduced had an area in the middle of the back (not the fingerprint sensor) that you could press to activate an app of your choice. Examining the case I don't see the wiring to accomplish this. I'll have to wait for my Pixel 2 XL to arrive so I can set up the case software to the phone to know if that feature is or isn't implemented on the "Places" Live Case.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Looks really cool! I played with making one a bit, but stopped. I'm still on the fence but now I think I'll go back!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks really cool! I played with making one a bit, but stopped. I'm still on the fence but now I think I'll go back!

There are two prices for the Live Cases, $40 and $50. The $50 price says it is "protective" and adds a soft black inner core. You can see it in my photos. Now that I've seen YouTube videos of the $40 shell version, I'm very glad I went with the $50 protective version. It adds almost no bulk or weight and adds a good bit more protection.

After spending this much on a phone I just didn't want to put a cheap, low priced case on it. I'm glad I made the decision to get the Google Live Case. Now I've got something of quality that's uniquely mine.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one of these in order to get the exact color orange case that I want (make the "picture" just a solid color image of my preferred orange color). A little expensive, but what can I say - I like what I like. Anyway, it looks like on the cheaper $40 case, the buttons are exposed. I can't quite tell on the higher protection $50 case. Are the buttons exposed or covered up on your more expensive case? I prefer my buttons exposed, but it appears that even if the buttons on the more expensive $50 case are covered, the button covers are still sunk in below the level of the case (which I guess is my main concern).

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one of these in order to get the exact color orange case that I want (make the "picture" just a solid color image of my preferred orange color). A little expensive, but what can I say - I like what I like. Anyway, it looks like on the cheaper $40 case, the buttons are exposed. I can't quite tell on the higher protection $50 case. Are the buttons exposed or covered up on your more expensive case? I prefer my buttons exposed, but it appears that even if the buttons on the more expensive $50 case are covered, the button covers are still sunk in below the level of the case (which I guess is my main concern).

I've had both the $40 regular Live Case and the $50 Protective Live Case. Having used both I will never have anything but the $50 Protective Live Case going forward. It adds almost nothing in weight and size but is significantly more protective. I don't fear dropping the phone with the protective case. The buttons on the protective case are covered, but the "clickiness" and feel of the buttons is still there. The buttons are not sunk in below the level of the case. The buttons protrude enough to be easily felt and found when not looking.

elvis692

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine and they didn't carry all my pictures from my old XL phone over and there's no more adjustments as far as how often the pictures will change. Strange moves Google!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine and they didn't carry all my pictures from my old XL phone over and there's no more adjustments as far as how often the pictures will change. Strange moves Google!

I've never had a problem with my pictures being backed up and automatically transferred to a new Google phone. I've had a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and now a Pixel 2 XL. I auto-backup my phone pictures to both Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive in real-time for cloud storage. And I also keep a local backup Hard Drive and mirror my photos there too. For me my pictures are too valuable not to have three current redundant backups both onsite and offsite. I can't take a chance on losing them.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a Google Photos live case. I was surprised at how fast they are produced considering they're made to order. Less than 24 hours after my order it had shipped. That means less than 24 hours for order, manufacture and ship... I know Shenzhen is fast with this kind of thing, but still surprised me.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a Google Photos live case. I was surprised at how fast they are produced considering they're made to order. Less than 24 hours after my order it had shipped. That means less than 24 hours for order, manufacture and ship... I know Shenzhen is fast with this kind of thing, but still surprised me.

Take a picture of your new Live Case and show us what you had custom made!

MikeC01

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I tried out the two layer version at the Verizon store and this has to be my favorite case after trying out at least a dozen cases. I just can't justify spending $50 on a case though. I'd almost rather add Google Care and skip the case if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Since I had spent this much on my Pixel 2 XL "Just Black" I decided to spend $50 at the Google Store and get a Google made "Live Case". I chose the "Places" theme and chose a stylized map of where I spent my childhood. It brings back so many memories.

There is a place in the middle of the back you can long press to bring up any app of your choice!

The case comes with a companion app that has the same stylized map to be used as wallpaper and an app option that will show a stylized map of my current location. This is so ultra-cool!

I'm really pleased with how the case came out and how well it is made. It is extremely light and will give my pixel 2 XL an absolutely "one-of-a-kind" look. I'll add a photo of my new Pixel 2 XL in the LiveCase when it arrives next week.
View attachment 271421View attachment 271422View attachment 271423

This is AMAZING!