02-05-2018 09:10 PM
39 12
tools
    I didn't seem to find a thread like this (mods, please merge if there is one), but I want to know if anyone picked up a thin case for their Pixel 2 XL, and would they recommend it?

I picked up the Spigen Liquid Crystal. Unfortunately, it is thicker than I expected. I might look at the Peel case (seems thin enough), or if Nillikin has one out for our phones (had one on my Nexus 6P...pretty thin).
    11-08-2017 07:22 AM
    I really like Peel
    11-08-2017 07:53 AM
    I really like Peel
    Peel / MNML / Calicase are all from the same OEM - and the thinnest option out there that's not a skin. You'd hardly know it's even there, other than the buttons which, since they're cut out, end up being about flush with the case rather than protruding about... .35 mm or so.

Great protection against scratches or scuffs on the back (and vs. staining on the Black & White), but won't really offer any impact protection.

MNML appears to be the best priced as of this post.
    https://mnmlcase.com/products/google-pixel-2-xl

$14.99, less $2.99 discount for coupon code "MNML20", plus $4.99 shipping for a $16.99 total.
    jsarino likes this.
    11-08-2017 08:57 AM
    When I browsed around though, I thought I saw complaints about MNML (for other phones), though I could very well be wrong. That being said, I'm pulling a trigger on that one, as the Peel version is still on pre-order. Besides, since you mention they're all from the same OEM anyways, the quality I'd think would be the same. Thanks for the tip, Jeremy8000! *thumbs up*

I'll post here when it arrives and give my thoughts.
    11-08-2017 09:12 AM
    I've got a mnml case. No front protection and really not much protection from drops but should help with scratches. The buttons are annoying since they're pretty much flush with the case though I got used to it. My only complaint is it's a bit slippery. Wish it had more grip.
    jsarino likes this.
    11-08-2017 09:19 AM
    Peel / MNML / Calicase are all from the same OEM - and the thinnest option out there that's not a skin. You'd hardly know it's even there, other than the buttons which, since they're cut out, end up being about flush with the case rather than protruding about... .35 mm or so.

Great protection against scratches or scuffs on the back (and vs. staining on the Black & White), but won't really offer any impact protection.

MNML appears to be the best priced as of this post.
    https://mnmlcase.com/products/google-pixel-2-xl

$14.99, less $2.99 discount for coupon code "MNML20", plus $4.99 shipping for a $16.99 total.
    Oh that's good info, I thought that MNML was a knockoff clone, didn't know it was the same company making both products.
    11-08-2017 09:58 AM
    Oh that's good info, I thought that MNML was a knockoff clone, didn't know it was the same company making both products.
    In full disclosure, I cannot (and should not have) state with absolute certainty that this is the case, but a Peel and MNML case I had in the past were wholly indistinguishable.

There are I believe 4 companies all producing .35mm thickness cases, all with identical cutouts, contours, and lacking any branding identification on the case, the only difference being color options. It is possible I am mistaken, but if the MNML is a clone, it's such a good one that I can't tell the difference side-by-side.
    Aquila and jsarino like this.
    11-08-2017 10:29 AM
    I also have a MNML case. I liked it much better on the OG XL because that phone was so slippery. The XL2 actually has better grip than the MNML case. I am using it for scratch protection, but probably not for long.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-08-2017 10:59 AM
    I've got a mnml case. No front protection and really not much protection from drops but should help with scratches. The buttons are annoying since they're pretty much flush with the case though I got used to it. My only complaint is it's a bit slippery. Wish it had more grip.
    I'm going to rely on the screen protector/tempered glass to protect the front. Wish there's more out there that has lip protection. The Nillkin I mentioned earlier, it's TPU, but is very thin, grippy on the sides, and importantly had a thin lip all the way around the front. That has been on my Nexus 6P for well over a year, and has even protected it from drops of around 3 feet or so. They were easily thinner than Spigen or Ringke as far as clear cases go. Wish they have one out for our phones already.
    11-08-2017 12:10 PM
    I had the Nilikin case on my Nexus 6p and loved it. I had the Pixel 2 before I exchanged for the Pixel 2 XL and bought the MNML case and was very disappointed. It's nothing like the Nilikin. It has no grip at all and the button cutouts made button press very frustrating. I have a few cases coming that I hope will be better. I will keep you posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-screenshot_20171108-154249.jpg  
    jsarino likes this.
    11-08-2017 02:44 PM
    Cool...post pics too with the cases on. I do have the MNML case on its way, but judging by you and other people's comments, I'm getting ready for the disappointment.
    11-08-2017 07:18 PM
    Here is the As-Guard case. This is my favorite so far. Very grippy. It's still thicker than Nilikin but slimmer than some others. Also collects fingerprints easily
    Attached Thumbnails Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-1469.jpg  
    jsarino likes this.
    11-10-2017 11:40 AM
    Found a case that looks promising though expensive. Supposed to be super strong. Starts shipping next week.

https://www.ipitaka.com/collections/magcase-for-pixel-2

This referral would give you 10% off.

PITAKA Referral Program

I ordered one with a car mount. If I don't like it they have a 30 day money back guarantee though you have to pay shipping.
    11-10-2017 02:04 PM
    Finally settled on mine. Ringke Fusion. While the measurments are I'm sure within mm's of each other, this case is significantly smaller in the hand than the Spigen Neo Hybrid, Caseoloty Vault and Parallax. Pity, cause the Parallax in blue/gold is good looking.

Not sure it's as protective as the others but Ringke claims Military Grade tested.

Comparing the fusion to the Parallax, I've tried to take these pix as accurately as possible. The INSIDE of theyellow lines are lined up with the edge of the cases.

Here is the difference in the length of the cases. Note that the black border is the edge of the Fusion

Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-screen-shot-2017-11-10-4.17.04-pm.png

Here's the width

Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-screen-shot-2017-11-10-4.19.47-pm.png

And here's another way to tell the difference. The cases are lined up at the lower RIGHT corners. Here's how the fingerprint openings line up. It gives you a sense of the width and length difference as the Fusion's opening is down and to the right

.Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-screen-shot-2017-11-10-4.29.44-pm.png
    dmark44 and oks10 like this.
    11-10-2017 05:30 PM
    Got an email from Diztronic today. They have the Pixel 2 XL now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772D5Y5R...cUvbUpU6064230
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-10-2017 11:26 PM
    Used Peel previously. While it is very thin, it's also pretty weak and will get loose around the edges after a short period. Mine came loose after a while and sand got in and scratched the back
    11-12-2017 08:45 PM
    I ordered the Fosmon (DURA-T) Slim Flexible Gel TPU clear case, supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll report on how that is. I received the MNML over the weekend, but I'm not even going to open it. Will either sell it or send it back...anyone want it?

Got an email from Diztronic today. They have the Pixel 2 XL now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772D5Y5R...cUvbUpU6068197
    They need a clear case version, then I'd be very interested.

Here is the As-Guard case. This is my favorite so far. Very grippy. It's still thicker than Nilikin but slimmer than some others. Also collects fingerprints easily
    I didn't see this one. Outside of fingerprints, do you like it? Are the keys exposed?
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-13-2017 05:55 PM
    The As-Guard is a little thicker than I prefer. I also got the Love Ying in clear which is EXACTLY the same as the As-Guard. I have the X-Level Guardian in black coming tomorrow which I think might be the one.
    11-13-2017 06:45 PM
    Update...I got the Fosmon yesterday, and looks like I have a winner. It's very similar to the Nillkin I had on the Nexus 6P. It's a thin TPU case, with just enough coverage to protect the rear camera, and a hair above the display. It doesn't have the grippy sides like the Nillkin, but it doesn't feel slippery to hold overall. If you don't mind the Fosmon logo on the side, it fits the bill for my needs.

Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-img_20171115_075801.jpg
    Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-img_20171115_075816.jpg
    Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-img_20171115_075822.jpg
    AnnDroid, wwickedd and dmark44 like this.
    11-15-2017 09:53 AM
    @jsarino Have you tried any of the other TPU cases. I have the As-Guard and Love Ying and they are exactly the same and also look like the one you have. Just wondering if the Fosmon is different than those. I also got the X Level guardian case which is very thin. slightly thicker than the MNML with a soft TPU feel. Adds no bulk to the phone but doesn't provide a lot of protection. It's the case I prefer so far.
    11-16-2017 07:53 AM
    Have you considered a Spigen thinfit? It is my go-to because I like a thin case with key cutouts BUT I like the option to rest my phone upside down knowing there is at least a very slight lift from the glass and the table. It is a hard case but the black ones always seem to be coated in a nice mat rubbery texture which I like.
    11-16-2017 09:34 AM
    @jsarino Have you tried any of the other TPU cases. I have the As-Guard and Love Ying and they are exactly the same and also look like the one you have. Just wondering if the Fosmon is different than those. I also got the X Level guardian case which is very thin. slightly thicker than the MNML with a soft TPU feel. Adds no bulk to the phone but doesn't provide a lot of protection. It's the case I prefer so far.
    I was going to try the Love Ying next if the Fosmon didn't work. I hadn't considered the X Level only because I was seeking a clear case.
    11-16-2017 10:26 AM
    Have you considered a Spigen thinfit? It is my go-to because I like a thin case with key cutouts BUT I like the option to rest my phone upside down knowing there is at least a very slight lift from the glass and the table. It is a hard case but the black ones always seem to be coated in a nice mat rubbery texture which I like.
    If they made a clear version, I would've been all over it.
    11-16-2017 10:26 AM
    If they made a clear version, I would've been all over it.
    Ah. Sorry. I missed that part
    11-16-2017 07:51 PM
    I got this clear case today that is almost identical to the X-Level guardian. Its super thin and light. Much lighter and less bulky than all the clear tpu cases currently on Amazon. It took 10 days to get but if you want a super slim clear case this is well worth the $5

Best thin cases for Pixel 2 XL?-img_20171207_140837.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/X-Le...StoreLevelAB=3
    12-07-2017 03:46 PM
39 12